PDA

View Full Version : Gardening.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 05:17 AM
Well, my Mom and I have been planning to plant various plants, mostly edible, for a while now. We got the seeds and plants to do so just today. We got the seeds for carrots, radishes, peas, and beans, and already started plants for strawberries, tomatoes, and green peppers.

One of the strawberry plants looked to be just about dead in the shop we went to. It was wilting right out of the pot, and it proudly held a dead leaf above itself. We bought the plant, hoping to bring it back to life. We named it, or preferably him, Paul. He got surprisingly perky after a quick drink of water. He's already standing as tall as the other plants. :p

Anyway, do you guys have some gardening tips for me and my Mom? I've never gardened before, but my Mom has some experience. We'll be planting the plants and seeds tomorrow, assuming the weather is going to be good for the next week. It was surprisingly chilly this morning, and I'd hate to plant the plants and have them all die in one night because we kept them in unpredicted frost.

Now then, talk about gardening.

Momiji
05-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Yeah, um...don't plant anything if there's going to be frost in the near future. Wait for it to warm up.

Roto13
05-02-2008, 05:21 AM
Paul is a risktaker.

Gogo
05-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Plant your seeds in small pots indoors. After a couple weeks you can transplant them outside. Remember that plants also need lots of room for their root systems, especially if they are dicots.:p

Aerith's Knight
05-02-2008, 05:37 AM
My mom is a garden architect.. i dont feel like talking about gardening anymore T__T

things like this happen:

me: *driving along at 40 m/h*
mom: Dennis!! look!!
me: *almost crashes into pole*.. What is it!?!
mom: *points at tree* look! a Brem
me: ...
mom: Isnt it beautiful?
me: ...
me: ...Its a tree. -_-'

Marshall Banana
05-02-2008, 05:46 AM
One of the strawberry plants looked to be just about dead in the shop we went to. It was wilting right out of the pot, and it proudly held a dead leaf above itself. We bought the plant, hoping to bring it back to life. We named it, or preferably him, Paul. He got surprisingly perky after a quick drink of water. He's already standing as tall as the other plants. :p
You're a hero! =O

I would love to grow potatoes, tomatoes, watermelons, pumpkins, and strawberries! =O

Momiji
05-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Also, when you plant strawberries, make sure you grow them nice and bright red~ :heart:

Marshall Banana
05-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Mmm! :kauberry:

Momiji
05-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Also, if you do anything to those strawberries after picking them, other than washing them and eating them plain, well, shame on you. ;)

Aerith's Knight
05-02-2008, 05:55 AM
*buys a box of strawberries and eats them in front of you guys*

yum.. all that hard work really paid off *munch* :p

rubah
05-02-2008, 06:05 AM
I've kept a potted plant in my dorm since about late february. It's awesome.

First I just transplanted some daffodils; one of the buds bloomed and the other kinda just wilted, but the plants grew really tall. Then when I knew for sure they weren't going to bloom, i went ahead and pruned them back to about two inches tall to let the other plants grow. Initially it was just some grass that had come with the daffodils, but after a while, i noticed that some little leaves were coming up, and they were some four-o'clocks! Some of the daffodil bulbs I'd gotten were in my mom's big four o'clock patch (she put a bunch out in front of the sliding glass doors in her smoking room when we demolished the sandbox that used to be there xD she tried radishes one year but they were unsuccessful despite growing successfully ;))

anyways, they're getting pretty tall. The sun doesn't shine in my room window anymore so I have to put them out in the hallway from about 3pm-6pm so they can get sunlight. I left them in the windowsill last weekend without watering them, so they looked pretty pathetic when I got back, but they perked up again about an hour after I watered them. It's so neat.

There's probably four main stalks, two big ones in the front and two shorter ones to the side; all the ones that were in teh back died because I can only give them sunshine on one side. Some of the bottom leaves are getting pale and brown, but there's plenty of other leaves to take over. I'm eager to take them home so I can grow them all summer, but they don't seem to be getting taller. I might have to get a deeper pot.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 06:06 AM
Also, if you do anything to those strawberries after picking them, other than washing them and eating them plain, well, shame on you. ;)

We don't plan on it.

Also, thanks for all that advice. We'll follow it well. :p

Quindiana Jones
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
I love getting down and dirty with my hoe.

Rantz
05-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Remember to weed out potential water thieves.

Heath
05-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I'd like to have a house with a garden that I could do with what I wanted. Naturally I'd hope it'd go somewhat better than when Top Gear did some gardening, but I do agree with Clarkson that every garden needs a water feature. My mother has always had a stranglehold over how our garden is done at home so I've never had any input bar when she insisted in taking the front lawn up to put some pebbles down instead, which I didn't like; despite me offering to cut the grass myself if she'd keep it.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I have a question for you guys. My Mom heard that crunched egg shells are good for tomato plants. It completely baffles us as to why, but we saved our egg shells anyway. Can anyone explain to us how egg shells are supposed to help tomato plants?

Jess
05-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I've never done any gardening. We have a few cactus' but they're low maintenance.

I live in a place in England that is famous for it's jam, so a lot of fruit is grown here. So, sometimes in the late spring/summer I go and pick strawberries. Nomnomnomnom. :jess:

I have a question for you guys. My Mom heard that crunched egg shells are good for tomato plants. It completely baffles us as to why, but we saved our egg shells anyway. Can anyone explain to us how egg shells are supposed to help tomato plants?
I don't know why, but I know a few people that use crushed egg shells as a part of their compost. It seems to work. :jess:

Rye
05-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Oh man, oh man, I love gardening. We grow tomatoes and peppers in the garden, and big gorgeous lillies! :bigsmile:

Kes
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
If you're growing anything edible you want to make sure of the following:

-It's surrounded by a fence that goes <i>into</i> the ground some (six inches at least?).
-It has a high enough fence that doesn't encourage climbing.
-No trees/bushes are near enough for there to be overhanging branches or that allows for jumping into the garden.

It's very sad when rabits nom the strawberries before I can. Also, don't really expect the strawberries to grow big like store bought ones. However they will be tastier. Covering the ground with black tarp that has holes for where the plants are growing up is also a good idea. I think this has to do primarily with discouraging weeds. I'm not 100% sure, but I know my father does it every year. My gardening experience is helping when I remember and eating the tasty foods.

And I don't know the why about eggshells either, but when my family had a compost pile, we'd throw those in.