PDA

View Full Version : Remake of Metal Gear Solid for the PS3?

Breine
05-02-2008, 10:55 AM
The original game has already been remade for the GameCube, but this new trailer shows that they might be working on a remake of the game for the PS3 as well. Take a look (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/33452.html), it's awesome and rather titillating :bigsmile:

Also, Kojima: "Dij yu liek it?" xD

Anyway, discuss.

Dreddz
05-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I dont want a second remake of MGS1, I want MGS4.

DMKA
05-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Umm, I think one remake is more than enough.

I want new games, not the same thing over and over with better graphics.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm wondering if they're actually releasing a remake, or if it's just going to be part of MGS4. Hmm...

Either way, I bet they'll use MGS4's gameplay mechanics to an advantage while going through. Also, the beginning had an alternate entrance.

I'm thinking Snake's going to have dreams periodically during the course of MGS4. Probably whenever he gets in that Helicopter, since he wouldn't sleep at any other time.

Roto13
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Konami: More Info About Metal Gear Solid 4 Flashbacks (http://kotaku.com/386418/more-info-about-metal-gear-solid-4-flashbacks)

Dreddz
05-02-2008, 02:21 PM
I'm wondering if they're actually releasing a remake, or if it's just going to be part of MGS4. Hmm...
I highly doubt they created that just to tease us. We know that MGS4 will take place in Shadow Moses at some point so that was obviously a section taken from it.

KentaRawr!
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I highly doubt they created that just to tease us. We know that MGS4 will take place in Shadow Moses at some point so that was obviously a section taken from it.

I don't think so. It showed Young Snake in that video. Then there's Roto's link.

Cz
05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Looks to me like it might be from MGS4. That Heliport's deserted, and the approach is nothing like Snake's normal entry from the lift. Sure, Snake's got dark hair in this clip, but he's also got long hair, an AK and the OctoCamo suit, and those are both more consistent with MGS4 than MGS1.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, because I really didn't like Twin Snakes' take on the original game. Not that another remake would necessarily have the same problems, just that the PS1 version of MGS is still a great game, and I doubt I'd buy a remake of a game I've completed many times before.

Hideo looks so pleased with himself. xD

Roto13
05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
They're optional scenes from MGS 4. Pay attention, people. :P

Breine
05-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Konami: More Info About Metal Gear Solid 4 Flashbacks (http://kotaku.com/386418/more-info-about-metal-gear-solid-4-flashbacks)

If that's the case it's actually pretty cool and quite a good idea - mainly because MSG4 will be the last game in the series and a trip down memory lane and getting nostalgic is always nice.

Lionx
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
The first thought when i saw this thread was, "Why would they release a remake of MGS1 when the MGS collection with 1,2, and 3 are out for PS2?"

Big D
05-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Well, that'll be an interesting addition to MGS4 - depending on just how far they go with it. Snake Eater had an optional 'dream mini-game', so it'll be neat to seat that again

Though, is anyone else bothered by them replacing the MGS1 movement with MGS4's "running around in a crouch that looks like it'd screw up your back after a minute" malarkey? Not sure why they'd go to the trouble of re-writing that.

Still, it'll be cool to find out just how much of the old game can be replayed. Same goes for MGS2 - maybe we'll see more of what 'Plissken' was up to while Raiden was busy with his matrimonial disputes...

ninjashoes
05-03-2008, 05:59 AM
the first one will always be my fav

Breine
05-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Same goes for MGS2 - maybe we'll see more of what 'Plissken' was up to while Raiden was busy with his matrimonial disputes...

That'd be really cool :holmes:

Bolivar
05-05-2008, 12:03 AM

You mean the optional refreshers from your link? Because of the octocamo, snake walking through a snowfield before coming up to the helipad, the area being deserted, him having an automatic rifle that isn't a FAMAS, I'm more inclined to agree with Cz.

The scene from the trailer that shows Liquid and Snake in metal gears was stated to be at a location "very nostalgic for MGS veterans". Looking at the scenery, there's really only 1 area it could be. The fact that it's Young Snake doesn't surprise me, as one of the invitees from the MGS4 bootcamp said that the younger version we saw in one of the japanese trailers does in fact have a role to play in the game.

As far as a remake of MGS is concerned, I think maybe Ryan Payton or someone else stated that because it cost so much to build the MGS4 engine, they almost have no choice but to use it for future projects in order to recoup. I think a MGS remake is possible, but I would much rather have it of the original two games, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, that would be something great and worth buying. The original MGS is still a great game, and everyone who owns a PS3 is able to play it already. I have to say that in its simplicity, it was able to get to the essence of infiltration better.

Roto13
05-05-2008, 12:11 AM

You mean the optional refreshers from your link? Because of the octocamo, snake walking through a snowfield before coming up to the helipad, the area being deserted, him having an automatic rifle that isn't a FAMAS, I'm more inclined to agree with Cz.

*headdesk*

Bolivar
05-07-2008, 01:10 AM

*headdesk*

Well, if you are right that it's an optional scene, I have to say Mr. Kojima has seriously lost his touch when it comes to cinematic cutscenes. The trailer was obviously gameplay.

Roto13
05-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Yeah, they're gameplay, but they're still optional flashback scenes.

I might be taking the wrong meaning from your post and Cz's though. xP

Wolf Kanno
05-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Its hard to tell with Kojima. I don't believe its a "preview of a remake" just something from MGS4, either a flaskback or more likely in game footage of Snake returning to Shadow Moses. As for the controversy due to it being "young Snake" remember that Kojima has a history of screwing with his fans head and is willing to change around scenes in order to create misdirection (remember MGS2 footage that was altered to hide Raiden). Its all up in the air, really and we'll know the truth in June. :cool:

Maxico
05-09-2008, 01:15 AM
Yeah, they're gameplay, but they're still optional flashback scenes.

I might be taking the wrong meaning from your post and Cz's though. xP

Konami never said the flashbacks were gameplay or related to that video.

It's daytime, he doesn't arrive by the big cargo lift, there aren't any guards, spotlights or a helicopter, he isn't wearing the suit he wore in MGS1 and 2, the whole place looks kinda worn and they've already shown Snake in the metal gear rex fighting ocelot in metal gear Ray in a snowy mountainous military compound, in a previous trailer.

They just go to the remains of shadow moses, it's not a flashback.

JKTrix
05-09-2008, 01:49 PM

Sure, they haven't explicitly stated that 'This Is A Playable Flashback', but there's a lot of suggestion. The last bump that comes up at 2:47 says "Is it possible to replay MGS!?" I haven't been following MGS4 as super closely as some people have, so I can't really contest anything else that was mentioned.

Nice to see they're making good use of the footage from their April Fool's joke. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2459840-post1.html)

Bolivar
05-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Sure, they haven't explicitly stated that 'This Is A Playable Flashback', but there's a lot of suggestion. The last bump that comes up at 2:47 says "Is it possible to replay MGS!?" I haven't been following MGS4 as super closely as some people have, so I can't really contest anything else that was mentioned.

Nice to see they're making good use of the footage from their April Fool's joke. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2459840-post1.html)

The "flashbacks" have been made known for months. They're optional past cutscenes and images, the footage in the trailer is neither.

SpendGil
05-14-2008, 07:04 AM
I'd rather play the original than even the gamecube remake. Its nostalgic for me :)

Obsidian
05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
The GameCube version killed alot of the game's emotional moments and added cheesy Matrix-stunt scenes. So naturally I am wary of any MGS remake.

But then again, Kojima did not supervise the GC remake.

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 03:53 PM
I liked the GCN remake, personally. The Matrix-Style stuff was silly, yes, and the Sniper Wolf scene (you know, THAT Sniper Wolf scene!) wasn't quite as well presented, and the music was ridiculously quiet, but I still liked it.

SpendGil
05-15-2008, 06:56 PM
The GameCube version killed alot of the game's emotional moments and added cheesy Matrix-stunt scenes. So naturally I am wary of any MGS remake.

But then again, Kojima did not supervise the GC remake.

its the original for me!!