PDA

View Full Version : Rewriting Ender's Game?

Manny
05-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I heard a rumor that Orson Scott Card was going to rewrite Ender's Game to follow more closely with his Mormon values. It's kind of upsetting. Okay. It's really upsetting. There was nothing wrong with the book in the first place. I think it's one of the greatest books of all time. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any information on that. Peace out.

Gogo
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Do you have a link to a source for this rumor?

Goldenboko
05-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, link please. Even if he does, I don't care, I still have the original books :P

Namelessfengir
05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
ive only read empire.

and its his book he can do whatever he wants with it

Captain Maxx Power
05-02-2008, 05:54 PM
ive only read empire.

I believe the topic isn't necessarily can he do it, it's should he do it. If it's to rewrite it as a pro-Mormon pamphlet, then I'd say he shouldn't. Though I did read a thesis that the book was already pro-Nazism in it's sub-text, with the life of Ender closely mirroring that of Hitler.

Goldenboko
05-02-2008, 06:11 PM
ive only read empire.

I believe the topic isn't necessarily can he do it, it's should he do it. If it's to rewrite it as a pro-Mormon pamphlet, then I'd say he shouldn't. Though I did read a thesis that the book was already pro-Nazism in it's sub-text, with the life of Ender closely mirroring that of Hitler.

In the rest of the series, he fights for the freedom and protection of other species, that doesn't sound like a Hitler to me :P

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
He was kind of a cold, calculating asshole. :p

Anyway, this rumor sounds bogus. Seriously doubt it's true.

Nominus Experse
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Poppycock, I say!

Germ Hamee
05-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Somehow I doubt that he would want to spend so much time on something like that, and I doubt even more that his publishers would be interested in it.

Heath
05-04-2008, 07:19 PM

That's a pretty interesting idea, though one I've never heard nor considered myself. Though I suppose I was about 14 when I read Ender's Game.

I don't think he should, but I do agree it's his book so he can do what he like with it. At the end of the day, it's a very successful, enjoyable and interesting book to read and the text itself wouldn't be improved one jot by rewriting it as some Mormon propaganda.

Manny
05-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Yeah, link please. Even if he does, I don't care, I still have the original books :P

I regret to say that, no, I don't have a link. I heard the rumor verbally. A couple people were talking about it. It could very well be bogus. I'm not sure what to think about the rumor. I was just flabberghast that, in the case that the rumor is true, anyone could :skull::skull::skull::skull: on their own work in such a way. But that's just me. Books, whether you're writing them or reading them, are all a matter of opinion. I happen to think the whole thing is stupid.

Bashini
05-07-2008, 03:14 AM
I did a google search on it, but all I found was a re-write of the script for the movie.

I really would not want a rewrite of Ender's Game. It was great the way it was. He wrote enough of his Mormon values in the Memory of Earth series.