PDA

View Full Version : Most Average Final Fantasy

Heath
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Before I start, I'm fully aware that I'm going to get mauled by statisticians for not specifying which average I mean from the off.

Which FF game would you say is the most average? I'm not going to be terribly specific, but in terms of - say - quality or relative to the other games, which would say is the median Final Fantasy game? Not great, but not bad, just there in the middle. Not necessarily a game that sums up the series on the whole, but perhaps the game you think would be a good barometer of success to judge a new game by (i.e. whether it's good or bad by comparison).

I'd probably say that in my opinion, FFIII fits the bill here for me. I'd say that it's a game that I always tend to have placed in the middle when I try to rank the games. I never have it ranked lowly (as I might have X or VIII), but at the same time it's never up there with the likes of IX, XII or IV for me.

Weird thread, I know, but I thought it'd be rather more interesting than the usual 'which is the best', 'which is the worst' fare.

Flying Mullet
05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't know that we've ever had an "average" thread before, just "best" and "worst". :)

I'm going to go with FFX. I would enjoy sitting down and playing it but if I got up and didn't get back to it for six months, if ever, it wouldn't bother me one bit either.

NeoCracker
05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Again, why isn't Mystic Quest ever in these polls? :(

Though I'm going to Say VII, basically for the same reason you picked V.

Flying Mullet
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Again, why isn't Mystic Quest ever in these polls? :(
Because it's obviously well above average. There's no need to include an option that will get zero votes.

Though I'm going to Say VII, basically for the same reason you picked V.
Who picked V? :confused:

NeoCracker
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
III I mean.

I'm just a crazy loon.

Flying Mullet
05-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Or maybe you secretly think V is the most average?

NeoCracker
05-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Or maybe It was just a horrible Typo, and you're trying to use it to put things on me that aren't really there?

Wolf Kanno
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
This is actually a tough one... using your guidlines though...

FFI, cause it has a surprisingly good story, battle system, music and overall feel. Some games fall short while other games excel. FFI is my middle game cause I do feel there are FFs that can't even climbed to the originals greatness. ;)

Vivisteiner
05-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Because it's obviously well above average.
Its so far above average its not even funny.

My vote goes for nothing. I reckon its somewhere in FFs 1-VI (the ones I havent played yet).

05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I won't bother voting, but I'll say VIII. It's the only game of the series I'm lukewarm on. I don't hate it. It was kinda fun. But I didn't really "get into" the game and I wasn't playing it for fun or even because I wanted to play it for the sake of playing it, I was just playing it so there'd be one less FF I hadn't completed. I don't have any desire to play it ever again. But really, it wasn't bad. Kinda fun. But eh...

mose-schrute
05-03-2008, 01:49 AM
I chose FFVIII for the reasons stated above. That being said, I'm replaying it and it's actually not as fun as I remember it being but it's not hard or annoying...and it also has a boring story.

Big D
05-03-2008, 03:09 AM
For me, it's FFV. Good game, certainly, but just so... unremarkable in many respects. Most FFs have some element that's a radical departure from the norm, but V just feels like it's trying to tread the safest ground possible.

Karellen
05-03-2008, 05:04 AM
FFIX and X both have an equal distribution of good and bad things. I'd probably go with X, since IX's good things are slightly better and FFX's bad things are slightly worse.

rubah
05-03-2008, 06:37 AM
ff12 was so dull for having such a good combat system. . .

Vermachtnis
05-03-2008, 06:43 AM
X, because it's good when it's good and bad when it's bad. I loved the Sphere Grid, but hated by the end when every character became clones of each other. I like the voice acting, but Yuna's voice changed tones randomly.

Relapse
05-03-2008, 08:48 AM
i was the first to say 2 >.> i wanted to say 1. oh well.

i said 1 as i only played 1-2 and 4-7 before and it can't be 4-7, so among 1 or 2 i guess its 1. :/

Takara
05-04-2008, 08:56 AM
For me, it's VII.

Captain Maxx Power
05-04-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm saying FF1. Looking back on the series it's the one that's easily the most primitive and ultimately least-well designed. I'd have said FF12, but you said average, not outright bad.

PeneloRatsbane
05-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm going with X. because altho i enjoyed it and it was a good story, i didn't want to play it again.
VII, i instantly wanted to do again cos of its vastness and story and world.
VIII looked good and had some great moments
IX, has some cool cutsecenes
XII is just so fun to play

Laddy
05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
FFXII is loads of sun but the story absolutely sucks and I couldn't give a crap about what happens in the game, so I chose XII, my least liked FF.

ljkkjlcm9
05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm actually going to go with FFIV. I've played 1-10, but only beaten 1-8 (never owned 9 or 10). So I can't really comment on 9 or 10... but 4 felt the most linear, and the most boring to me. Basically it's for one good reason. In EVERY other FF 1-8 that I have beaten, there is customization of characters. 1 you pick 4 classes, 2 very customizable, 3 job system, 5 job system even better, 6 tons of characters, 7 materia, 8 junction/gf.

Basically, FFIV gives you characters, and that's it. This is the reason why I feel FFIV GBA is a vast improvement over the original version, because it finally opens up some party customization. I hated being stuck with the 5 characters and having no choice, when every other game had given you choices.

THE JACKEL

Northcrest
05-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Five I have to say is pretty basic the main characters are just pretty people who get abilities from job classes. I know there are other ones like this buy this just seems too original.

Zora
05-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Final Fantasy VII...

I could explain why, but basically everything felt like a mixed bag. The story had a good plot, but overall pretty dead characters with little or not development. The music is a blend of OMG best in the series thus far and generic crap that is better suited for the next so-so Atlus RPG. Graphics were great in-battle for there time, but out of battle could have used some work. Gameplay is solid, but felt simplified and the characters weren't diverse enough. Oh, and the script was just awful overall.

Brennan
05-27-2008, 04:09 AM
I consider VIII to be mid-class

Kawaii Ryűkishi
05-27-2008, 04:16 AM
FFX, I suppose. It's pretty lame for the most part, but it has just enough good moments and enjoyable enough combat systems that it's still above dreck like FFVIII. All in all, it's just kind of there.

Bashini
05-27-2008, 06:01 AM
FFIX had some moments, but I have a hard time replaying it. The story and animation are so... 'fairytale' like, and Princess Garnet just annoys me. I guess a close second for me is FFVI.

Northcrest
06-18-2008, 02:42 AM
I think Final Fantasy V mainly because it was a knock off of FF I-IV except there wasn't really a bigger concept going on in the game. It was more like Square-Enix ran out of ideas and chose to put a Final Fantasy V that was like the earlier 4 and sold it hoping to make money.

Kenshin IV
06-18-2008, 03:30 AM
"Average" huh? That's sort of an usual and interesting question. For the times they came out in, I'd say it'd have to be either Five or Ten. Neither game was as good as it's predecessor, and neither game was bad or underwhelming by any means. I'd probably say Ten personally, only because I think Five was an above average RPG when I first played it. I had a bit more of a "meh" feel towards Ten when I finished it for the first time.

Avarice-ness
06-18-2008, 04:40 AM
FFV for mee~

leilei
06-18-2008, 07:19 AM
FFV because it's a crystal story but this time more average than FFIV which was much more engaging. The soundtrack is even average and the graphics seem to be a bit darker but still saturatedly colorful and not rahter populated so still average. The gameplay and all the little secrets however sets it apart from the others though. Other than that it's pretty average with a lot of 'meh' moments but it doesn't get too carried away with presentation (like every game after 6). It can be enjoyed.

Marky Tee
06-18-2008, 10:40 AM
6 cause even though it is a great game in pretty much every way ive only ever played it on the playstation and it was like a chore at times
i was gonna say 5 at first but to be honest i dont realy rate it much at all since i only got about half way through before not playing it for a few months then could never get back into it
probs have to start over again from the start someday

Tiamat3710
06-22-2008, 12:34 PM
FFV dont know why just wasnt that special to me.

jammi567
06-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Nine.

But maybe if it didn't constantly homage every FF made before that point, then i wouldn't feel it was so average, because then, the script wouldn't be trying to be good - it just would be good natually.

Suvious
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
FFVII Rules don't be so sick you weirdos calling it bad!
I voted VIII it was too... in the past but modern if you know what I mean for more liking. Also they wear their trousers WAAAAY too high.

Depression Moon
06-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I really don't know out of the ones I've played it's X-2. Unfortunately it's not a choice.

Rase
06-26-2008, 12:16 AM
FFVII Rules don't be so sick you weirdos calling it bad!
Attention world: This is obviously an undeniable truth. Please adjust your own personal opinions appropriately.

Anyhoo, for me it is indeed VII, or perhaps V. I liked the Job system in V a lot more than Materia (never really got into that), but on the other hand I've actually gone through and beat VII. Still, I'll go with VII anyway. The amount of fun I had in the part of V I played beat the amount I had in all of VII.

Markus. D
06-26-2008, 06:07 PM
FFIII if we're talking about similar...

FFXII if we're talking about meh.

Egami
07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Where is Mystic Quest? :p

Yar
07-14-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm confused. Are you asking which game was average in quality or most like pretty ol' average video game?

Average as a Final Fantasy: I. Let's face it, it's a great game, but it pretty much Final Fantasy.

Average as a video game: XI. MMORPG? Meh. It wasn't that great, and really not much of an FF without chocobos and its classes.

Saber
07-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Well six is the middle of twelve so my sixth fav was FF2. and thats my final answer

Cleric
07-22-2008, 12:58 AM
I would def. say FFV. It is just all around so-so. It was no where near a bad game, but it just wasn't terribly exciting for me

Sarc the Swordsman
08-15-2008, 12:02 AM
After much thought, I settled upon voting for FF8 as most average; at least in my opinion. I never really got into it, and although it wasn't exactly particulary bad, it just...didn't feel like an FF game to me.

Crescennt
09-18-2008, 03:56 PM
I would say VIII.

It is one of my least liked FFs, but then again, I like most other FFs so much that they don't qualify as average. And I still like VIII more than loads of non-FF games.

Another thing that is average about it, imo, is that it was about averagely popular for a FF. It's less well known than FFVII or FFX, but more than FFIX for instance, and some of the older ones.

McLovin'
09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
5. Mainly because most of the characters in it and the story I don't remember, and if it was good I'd remember it xD

Mirage
09-18-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm proud to say that I think FF9 was the most average Final Fantasy, and FF5 was fucking awesome.