PDA

View Full Version : Lightbulb in The Head I: Mental Examination

41-Inches-Wide
05-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Keep this Gen-Chat mode! (read: no flaming anybody even if you disagree vehemently):kaoclove:

LET'S GO!

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear, does it make a sound?

What is the fundamental flaw in human nature? Pride - or greed?

Are men naturally polygamous?

Are women naturally competitive with other women?

Is the human race essentially good?

“If all the world’s a stage and we are merely players…” what game are we playing?

Have you been accused of being a genius?

In a society where everyone is “entitled to their opinion”, what place is there for Right and Wrong?

Descartes said “I think therefore I am”, how can one prove to themselves that another person exists beyond their imagination?

If it was never illegal, would you have killed someone by now?

Does everything in the world have an opposite? If no, give an example.

How do you define personal honor?

How will you prove that genuine love exists?

Will humankind annihilate itself eventually?

Given infinity, will all that is possible eventually happen?

Is it better to be uncertain about something forever, or know the truth and be very hurt through all your life?

If you saw a yellow ball but everyone told you it was purple, who would you believe? If no, what would you do to prove your side?

Is education the filling of a pail, or the lighting of a fire?

What would you be willing to do to survive?

Is a lie a lie, if everybody knows it is?

Imagine yourself experiencing a car accident. What happens and how does everything look like after the accident?

Do you ever wonder if you’re already dead and this is just your life flashing before your eyes?

Should the conservative Christian husband of an atheist woman allow her to have an abortion if there’s a chance the kid might grow up and turn into a gay Mormon?

Rye
05-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Nice thread, Aicha. :bigsmile:

Sure!

I'd say pride, because it helps fuel greed. Would you really want stuff if you didn't have anyone to impress, anyone to upstage?

I don't think so, I think a lot of it is to be with how someone is raised.

I think it's something that society kind of imprints in women.

I think that we're all born good, yes.

“If all the world’s a stage and we are merely players…” what game are we playing?

The game of LIFE.

I don't think so, but I accuse my boyfriend of it. <3

In a society where everyone is “entitled to their opinion”, what place is there for Right and Wrong?

When someone's opinion ends up changing society to harm people, ie: people's gripe against gay marriage ends up making it illegal.

Descartes said “I think therefore I am”, how can one prove to themselves that another person exists beyond their imagination?

You truly can't.

I don't know.

Indifference.

How do you define personal honor?'

Not selling out your core beliefs.

I live in it every day.

I don't think so. I think human kind will progress beyond that.

No, there's always more to do.

Is it better to be uncertain about something forever, or know the truth and be very hurt through all your life?

I'd rather be uncertain.

If you saw a yellow ball but everyone told you it was purple, who would you believe? If no, what would you do to prove your side?

This is really tough to answer.

I'd say it's gathering the supplies for a fire. Only you can truly dedicate yourself enough to spark it, but education brings you to what you need to do it, if you choose.

More than I care to admit

Yes, because the intent was dishonest.

Imagine yourself experiencing a car accident. What happens and how does everything look like after the accident?

Someone runs a red light and crashes into the side of my car. So much glass exploding. Metal everywhere.

Do you ever wonder if you’re already dead and this is just your life flashing before your eyes?

Oh yes.

Should the conservative Christian husband of an atheist woman allow her to have an abortion if there’s a chance the kid might grow up and turn into a gay Mormon?

What's so bad about a gay Mormon? I love gay people, and Auntie Steph is Mormon, though she's straight.

NeoCracker
05-03-2008, 12:51 AM
Yes. Nothing mental about it. The fall creates the same waves that constitute sound, regardless of anyone being there.

Neither. Pride keeps people doing their jobs good, and Greed has been the motivation behind many large corporations, which supply thousands of jobs.

The Fundamental flaw is people are stupid.

Biologically speaking they want to spread their seed everywhere if thats what you mean.

No more then men are with other men.

1) That term is way to vague.
2) With so many people and so many views on things, no. But that doesn't mean they essentially bad either.

Yahtzee.

Why yes, yes I have actually. Damnedest thing, isn't it?

Right or Wrong in Society is generally what the Majority believes is right or wrong.

However an individuals view on it is no less correct.

For the simple fact they are their. You can dwell on the rest of the world being imaginary are you won't, it isn't going to change things. Best just to accept its real and move on.

Nah, I'm a pussy.

Unless you know everything in the world, can't give an answer one way or another. Even if you don't know somethings opposite doesn't mean it isn't out there, but it deons't mean it is either.

I see honor as not doing the right thing, but achieving it by doing it the right way.

Right as in right or wrong, no as in correct. :p

One can't prove a feeling.

Meh, who knows. Not a fortune teller.

It's possible. Again, not a fortune teller.

Depends on the individual. Personally I'd rather know the truth.

Depends whose saying it's purple. Assuming they aren't trying to BS me, I'd find out if I was colorblind. If not, either they are color blind, or somebodys crazy and is going to be commited very soon for doing something stupid. Like standing on top of a house screaming "LOOK AT THE YELLOW BALL!"

Nothing but wordplay. They both essentially mean the same thing at their core.

Well, until in a life or death situation, can't answer that honestly. :p

Yes. Another's knowledge hardly changes the meaning of the word lie.

From my point of view, likely nothing if it's a bad accident, as I'd be to hurt to notice or care.

No.

That chance exists regardless of either parents religion. Though no, he shouldn't, simply as he would be trying to force his views on another.

He can be against it all he wants and try to talk her out of it, but in the end he can't stop her legally, even if he wanted to.

And dammit don't make General Chat topics I feel like answering Seriously! :mad2:

Edit:

I love gay people
Hey, we straights are just as deserving of love as the gays.

It's sexual discrimination I tell you!

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Yes.

Pride.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Why can't life itself be a game?

HAWHAW

I can't think of an answer for this one.

They can't. It's impossible.

No, I probably wouldn't even exist anyway :p

No...but I can't think of an example, either :p

Not quite sure.

I don't think it can be proven. It's something you'd have to experience for yourself, I guess.

Yes, if no natural disaster offs us first :p

Yes.

I think that it depends on what that something is.

I'd assume it was a trick, so I wouldn't bother proving it isn't purple. If these are people who have no sense of humor and wouldn't do such a thing, I'd believe them and try to figure out why I see a yellow ball.

Filling of a pail....with gasoline! Could be bad, if there were a match around.

It depends. On a lot of things :p

Depends on the lie.

The car is being driven by someone else, and it goes over a bridge. THE END.

Something like that x.x

No.

Madame Adequate
05-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Yes, it does.

Neither are fundamental flaws, in my opinion. What's flawed is when they are applied improperly - pride felt over things that one didn't actually do (e.g. proud of being English because of something from 400 years ago). But I'd say pride is worse than greed.

I don't think so.

Women are people, and people are naturally competitive, so yes, but not only towards other women.

If we weren't, we wouldn't have made it this far.

Most of us are playing GTA IV right now, I think.

Yes. :p

The right to holding an opinion is not carte blanche to hold any opinion and be free of criticism. I have no right to stop someone having an opinion, but I have every right to demonstrate where their opinion is weak, and why I disagree with it. Respecting the right to an opinion does not equal respecting opinions themselves.

You can't, but on balance of probability, it's much more likely than everyone else exists than that they don't.

I hope not, but I don't know for sure.

Monopolar magnets.

Honesty and respect.

I feel it constantly.

I doubt it. I think we already would have.

Yes, unless there is an infinite amount of potential stuff TO happen, in which case taradoxes which hurt my head.

Know the truth.

I would probably go see a doc if it was seriously the case, because I'd guess my eyes were shot.

It's the lighting of a fire under a pail which is being filled :bigsmile:

A lot. A very, very lot.

Yes.

I don't need to imagine what's happened :monster: But they were never serious. There's this sudden massive THUMP and you get thrown around very hard.

Nope!

No, Mormons are awesome and so are homosexuals!

Balzac
05-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Sure, I'm guessing the animals that live in it are bound to hear it.

Pride, it definitly fiels everything else.

I can't say I actually know any guy that is. You read about it, like some famouse dude did this. But who cares? If it isn't directly effecting you, why should you care?

No, I think the media makes them like this.

For the most part.

Mouse Trap

Dunno about being accused, but I get told I am. Also tests said I was. I get accused of not using it, does that count?

Depends on the subject.

By givng them the bad touch.

Yes, 5 times.

Up up down down left right left right B A select start

Doing things the way you want.

I won't. I'll let other people decide for themselves.

No, it will always evolve to survive.

No.

Uncertaintly is what dries most people, so I guess it's better to be uncertain.

I'm colourblind as it is, don;t cofuse me more.

I think it's more lighting the match or turning the tap, the filling and lighting is down to you after education.

Sleep with Scott. Actually I'd do that anyway. Hell, anything.

No, that's when it becomes a semi truth.

I was in a car accident, everythng slowed down, there was a moment of panic. We checked everyone over to make sure they were all right and then started to laugh that we survived. It was quite surreal.

No. I think we'll know when we are dead.

K, what the hell? I think abortion should be entirely upto the person who it effects, not anyone else.

41-Inches-Wide
05-03-2008, 02:40 AM

My momma told me never to answer questions with another question. But since my mother doesn't know what an internet is...
What are the properties of sound?

Greed. Because it's the misapplication of survival instincts.

Yes! My father and brother want to be but the constraints of vows make it impossible to do so without lawsuits filed against them.

Yes. Because we are so many... :DD

Yes. Nobody is born bad.

Charades! I love charades!

Ok! Somebody start now! :tongue:

Yes, because there is always the Universal Law and Goodwill.

Threaten them with a scimitar?

No. Human life is very precious.

No. 2d doesn't have an opposite side does it? m i doin it rite

Ideas and values that one could die for.

I can't. D:

I'm sure! We're all so destructive!

No. There are some things that we will forget in our agenda of creation and destruction.

I would rather be very hurt than be uncertain!~

I'd threaten them with a scimitar.

The filling of a very empty pail of a brain.

Anything.

No. It's gossip! :jess:

I only ride horses... and clouds like Son Gohan.

I;m sure I;m not dead

I think the conservative Christian husband should be hacked with a scimitar, who the hell is he to ALLOW her to have an abortion?! What a punk!!

Namelessfengir
05-03-2008, 04:00 AM
yes
neither -- its sex
no
yes
not republicans
spin the bottle
yes
in the seedy underbelly
puch them in the head
thats illegal??
yes
you annoy me i kill you
(i already did this) by trying to break up the various relationships
muslems versus republicans
no i dont believe ill nail padme
uncertain
no, i dont need to prove im right
fire dun dun dun it makes you to learn!!!
when the stars grow cold and the universe is winding down to die, there will be three remaining: the cockroaches, the highlander, and me
yeah
its looking pretty fucked up
no
no mormons suck

Tavrobel
05-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Yes.

Neither. Both may be used as positive forces; the primary human flaw would either have to be laziness or idiocy.

For the sake of the race, yes. Otherwise, no.

No.

Yes, but at the same time, idiots.

Game of life.

Genius relative to that person, yes.

None. Fortunately, no such society will ever exist, because people will always disagree.

Pinch yourself.

No.

No. Positive roots exist; negative roots do not exist. We treat them as though they do because it makes life easier. Alternatively, one could argue that there is no opposite to a situation where there is a difference between the best answer and the answer that sucks the least.

The ability to do right by oneself.

Why do I need to do it? It's been done.

No. The universe will do it first, and will do it faster than we ever could.

No. Infinity implies that it keeps on going.

In my opinion, it is better to know.

I would believe myself. I would also then seek medical consultation.

Neither. Either one implies that it will reach a maximum; either the bucket will spill, or the fire will die out. Education is infinite.

Whatever it takes.

No. It is also a lie if the person fabricating it knows it.

It looks like hospital lights. Ohh, wait.

No. I wonder if there's a point, but I do not doubt that we are alive.

No. Technically, he should believe that life is sacred, cursed or un-cursed, and that God has a plan.

Relapse
05-03-2008, 09:06 AM

yes. just noone hears it.

i think greed. don't know why though.

guess so.

guess so.

no, but compared to other animals yes.

living.

yes, sarcastically.

only for things which have a set and unchangeable answer.

don't get it.

duh.

guess so.

if you have something to show off.

if a couple can stay together without cheating, quarreling, etc for maybe 75 years.

should be, with war and all.

should be, with technology and all.

option 2. i already experienced that.

the people. i'm easily affected by people.

filling. lighting is like knowing something at once while filling is a gradual process.

do something homo.

i think yes.

the car sort of flies up in the air and comes tumbling down. i die and so does anyone who hits me. its a huge mess.

actually no. wow.

don't know what's a Mormon, so i'll say no.

Breine
05-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes.

Out of those two, greed.

Probably not.

Everyone is competitive on some level, so yes.

I'd like to believe so, but I honestly don't know. There's good and bad in everyone.

“If all the world’s a stage and we are merely players…” what game
are we playing?
Twister?

No, don't think so.

That's a really good question. There basically isn't any "right and wrong" because it all comes down to your own opinion and viewpoint. However, there is a general opinion on what's right and wrong, and then there are also morals and law.

Stop freaking me out! D: I guess you can't, but it's very likely :)

No.

No, but I can't think of anything right now :P

Being yourself, standing up for yourself and your opinions and not selling out.

I can't. But, I'm a romantic so I certainly hope so.

I don't know. There's a chance, though.

I guess so.

What you don't know doesn't hurt you.. e.g. I wouldn't like to know when I'm going to die, and what will end up killing me.. but then again I'm also very curious :)

I'd probably believe myself and scream "NO, IT'S YELLOW!", and then maybe go see a doctor too see if I'm loco.

Both I guess.

I don't know - people trying to survive in a panic situation often "go out of character".

Yes.

Everything will probably be in slow motion, and afterwards it'll be very surreal.

You're freaking me out again!! Stop it! :mad2: Never did before, but now I might.

The decision is totally up to her. Basically, he should just get over himself and love his kid no matter what. Or else I'll kick his ass.

Nice topic :)

Cz
05-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice thread, Aicha. I'm not sure about a lot of these, but it was good fun thinking about some of them. :)

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear, does it make a sound? You might say that sonic waves aren't technically considered "sound" until the signal's interpreted and perceived as noise. I'm not sure I agree with that, though.

What is the fundamental flaw in human nature? Pride - or greed? Neither's a flaw in itself, but I think that our competitiveness stems from pride, and that can be very hurtful.

Are men naturally polygamous? Our instincts would have us be so. Obviously there are other elements of our psyche and conventions of society that can override instinct, but I'd say that's more conditioning than nature.

Are women naturally competitive with other women? Yes, but that's not to say that competitiveness can't be subdued.

Is the human race essentially good? No, I don't think so. We're certainly not evil, but we're fundamentally self-interested, and so we're prone to doing terrible things. The human race can certainly improve, but I don't think we're there yet.

“If all the world’s a stage and we are merely players…” what game are we playing? We're like tiger cubs, chasing each other around and learning our own strength.

Have you been accused of being a genius? I've been told I'm smart, but I don't think anybody's ever gone as far as to call me a genius. Which is fine, because I'm not.

In a society where everyone is “entitled to their opinion”, what place is there for Right and Wrong? Everyone can have their opinion, but they don't have to be accepted equally. Opinion supported by argument and evidence has greater worth than opinion that is unsubtantiated.

Descartes said “I think therefore I am”, how can one prove to themselves that another person exists beyond their imagination? Can't. All you've got are assumptions.

If it was never illegal, would you have killed someone by now? I highly doubt it, but in such a society circumstances might be very different. I may have had to kill in self-defence or something like that.

Does everything in the world have an opposite? If no, give an example. Placard.

How do you define personal honor? Be honest with yourself.

How will you prove that genuine love exists? I'd analyse the chemical triggers that induce feelings of great affection. If you're asking me to produce evidence of some cosmic force of love in the universe, I can't do that.

Will humankind annihilate itself eventually? I don't think so. We might harm ourselves very badly, but it'd be very difficult to actually wipe ourselves out. We're more likely to be destroyed by some outside force.

Given infinity, will all that is possible eventually happen? If an infinite amount is possible, could it ever occur, even in an infinite amount of time, or an infinite number of parallel universes? Gah, no idea.

Is it better to be uncertain about something forever, or know the truth and be very hurt through all your life? I think it depends on a lot of things. As a general rule, though, I think I'd rather be uncertain.

If you saw a yellow ball but everyone told you it was purple, who would you believe? If no, what would you do to prove your side? I'd assume the problem was on my end, but I'd need proof that my perception was wrong (ie evidence of colourblindness) before I actually admitted fault.

Is education the filling of a pail, or the lighting of a fire? I suppose the pail image suggests there's a limit, and I'm not sure that's the case. So if you're talking about education in a general sense, I'd go with the latter option. On the other hand, I think that most education systems are closer to the former.

What would you be willing to do to survive? A lot, because I've got a strong survival instinct like all people. I suspect I wouldn't go as far as some other people, but that's not really possible to tell.

Is a lie a lie, if everybody knows it is? Yep, just a very bad one.

Imagine yourself experiencing a car accident. What happens and how does everything look like after the accident? Chances are it'd come out of nowhere, maybe out of a blind spot or at an intersection or something. If it's happening at speed, the forces involved would be pretty frightening, and probably like nothing I've experienced before. Being so sudden and so scary, a lot of it would probably be pretty imcomprehensible to me. As for the aftermath, cars are pretty safe nowadays, so I don't think things would look too dreadful. Some bad cuts, maybe a break or two, but nothing horrific.

Do you ever wonder if you’re already dead and this is just your life flashing before your eyes? The thought pops into my head occasionally, but I dismiss it pretty quickly.

Should the conservative Christian husband of an atheist woman allow her to have an abortion if there’s a chance the kid might grow up and turn into a gay Mormon? She should be able to have an abortion anyway, so while the reason given would be stupid, he ought to allow it.

Captain Maxx Power
05-03-2008, 01:00 PM

It does if it's trying hard enough.

Neither, it's Piratism.

How dare you! My mother was a saint! :mad2:

They are if they're fighting over me. :jokey:

It's alright, but it's got a long way to go before it reaches the standards I demand.

World of Realcraft.

Guilty as charged.

In the following system;

Right; everything I agree with
Wrong; everything not covered by the above

I tend to punch them in the face. If they retaliate and I feel pain soon after, I know they're real. If not that means either they're not real, they're a wimp, or I've knocked them out cold in one shot. Usually it's the last one.

Since when has that stopped me?

No it isn't. Case in point; I'm brilliant at everything I try. I have never been terrible at something. Ergo my greatness has no opposite.

Depends on how many Battlegrounds and Alliance I've ganked today.

Why not come up and see me sometime. :jokey:

Nah, some natural disaster will take care of that. Should humanity annihilate itself though it'll be the most badass achievement of civilized society.

Well it's impossible for me to fail so...

Give me the truth, for the truth shall set you free.

Myself, because everyone else is an idiot. I'd prove it by finding said ball and shoving it down everyone's collective throats.

It's the basis of a sex life.

Stick to the overall plan; Don't die. If I don't die I can't possible not survive.

You mean like organized religion? *baboom chick*

I tear myself out of the passenger's side (I don't drive, but only because I choose not to) with my bare hands pulling the chassis apart. The car would be mangled by both the accident and my escape, and the emergency services would arrive to find everyone saved by myself and their skills no longer required.

If it is I'm having a whale of a time reliving it.

Pardon me but it's not of his damn business if she wants to get an abortion. Then again I'd hope no mother would abort their child on something as lousy as they may be a homosexuality member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Did you bother to read the massive replies of everyone else?

Not really.

Why not?

Because they're massive.

Should people just read your answers then?

Yes, because mine are the best.

You're so cool Captain Maxx Power

I know :cool:

I Am Stoner
05-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes, because it still creates soundwaves and movements of molecules in the air even if no one is around.

I would say the inability to understand other's views and ways of life are human flaws, so I would say Pride.

Have no idea

Have no idea

Define good, everyone's views of what's good or bad change because of people's different personalities

The game of life, yea baby yea.

Not to blow my own trumpet but yes I have.:cool:

it depends on that person's view on that subject

I dont understand this question. People's personalities are only what they want them to be.

Yes definatly

I believe so

Stiking to your guns and living up to your own standards, not worrying what others say about you.

Through studies and research

No, I believe global warming will wipe us out before we get a chance to annihilate ourselves.

Yes, if it hasnt already.

uncertain

Niether. When we see our optic nerves send us the information to our brains, so it might be that both of u are wrong because you could be truly seeing the ball as yellow because of the signals going to your brain arnt telling the truth

Both to some degree

Anything

A lie is a lie when it has dishonest intentions

The car is totaled, im fine and so are my passengers

Yes, I do

I believe so yes, but the abortion rule only applies in catholic christiality

Iceglow
05-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Yeah it does, just because no one heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I could say now how much I love so and so outloud wearing ear plugs to make sure even I can't hear it doesn't mean it never happened though

I'd argue that both are the fundamental flaw in our nature, our greed means we want everything often for nothing in return and our pride means we cannot see when we are wrong. Equal oppourtunity for these.

Both genders are. So in answer to your question yes men are naturally polygamous but so are women. Men want to spread their seed around to make sure they have the best chance of producing offspring, women naturally want to sleep with the fittest and strongest specimens of the species to make sure they conceive healthy and strong children that will survive the hardships in life, or atleast this is how our primal natures are it's a thing that harks back to the time when we were barely more than apes. Funny how we consider animals to be below us because they're polygamous but we're animals too we do not mate for life, just look at the divorce rates and then the number of times you have a girlfriend/boyfriend and split up just because you're not cheating on someone doesn't mean you don't have more than 1 lover.

Again this applies to both genders, humans by nature are competitive because of the natural animalistic mental process where we believe only the strongest survive. Women however are definitely more competitive when theres an attractive male in their prescence even without realizing what they're doing they seem to all put their shoulders back chest out legs suddenly become tools of seduction everything about their posture and body language will be "don't look at her, look at me" this is still true even when the man is dating one of the women.

Seeing as the idea of good and bad is merely a matter of opinion we are neither good nor bad the human race is essentially neutral we have great capacity for good and for evil. It often falls to how much personal gain there is for us in an action to decide whether we act for good or bad.

I think this more refers to a play however if we're all playing a game I guess it's the game of monopoly at this point in time, all the world is concerned with is cash and how much each individual can get.

I have been accused of being a genius but I tend to play it down. I dislike people saying someone is a genius especially when it's me after all sometimes I have the right answer/idea at the right time other times I don't. I'd say it's more a matter of who thinks outside the box and who thinks inside the box and how that is received and if it works well.

Well right and wrong are matters of opinion, they're perspectives from my perspective your views could be wrong and from yours they could be right. I don't believe however that society allows us to use our own opinion very much because if you look at some things such as the war in Iraq in the opinion of millions of people world wide it was the wrong thing to do and yet even with millions of people in the UK and America protesting against it our governments still went to war. I do believe however now we've started an action we should finish this action and we have a commitment to the Iraq and Afghanistan regions to finish what we started which means stability regardless of the time and cost (financially) it takes.

The answer is you cannot, some people believe that this world is a dream of their imagination, some people believe that this world is a dream of a greater being or machine (matrix style, which as pointed out in the movies human nature is conflict we thrive on it and so certainly any "wool pulled over our eyes" would need to involve conflict) and we're all merely a part of that dream. Some people believe that we're the only things in the universe you can never prove things therefore it's best to accept that I'm me and you're you and move on in life if you ponder this for too long you realize you've wasted the meagre time you have in life before you've done something.

I am pretty sure I would have killed someone if it was a socially acceptable action, murder is only a crime because it's socially unacceptable but killing another human in a war is fine because it's "sanctioned violence" therefore if you made murder "sanctioned violence" I think a lot of us would have killed someone by now. A lot of us would also have been killed by now.

It does have an opposite, there must always be duality in this life, good & evil, up & down, forwards & reverse, Man & and Woman the list goes on and on and on but one cannot exist without the other.

Personal honour is simply acting so as not to bring shame to yourself. This can be very different based upon your perspectives, opinions, nature and morals for example if I was a gigolo or if Rye was a prostitute it might be considered shameful by others however if we were doing it because we like the sex and the money and have absoloutely no problem with what our career choice is then is it shameful to us? not really.

Unfortunately I studied sociology and this teaches that there is no such thing as love between two adults, and that it is all a matter of circumstances that are mutually beneficial. That opinion is a very hard one to argue with because in every "loving" relationship there are a lot of mutual benefits for the people involved. I'm not going to prove or disprove love however, I know I really like my girlfriend and I in my limited life experience believe this to be "love" but only time can tell, if I am with the same woman in 50 - 60 - 70 years even then I can say if love truly exists or not.

Without a doubt we'll annihilate but not 100% because somehow some people would always survive by either being isolated or rich enough to survive. It's in our nature to destroy each other and ourselves in the process. We are greedy prideful beings who are not afraid to kill to get our desires. If society continues to be based around how much money/oil you have eventually humanity will destroy itself. My sociology teacher in college made an incredibly valid point that war is humanity acting like nature intended because we have no natural predators. In every role of the animal culture there is something higher, which means for example if theres lots of rabbits then there will be lots of foxes to hunt the rabbits when the number of rabbits goes down the foxes starve and their numbers fall in relation to their food sources. Humanity as far as we know doesn't have anything higher than it left on earth therefore it falls to humanity to reduce it's own number if it gets too great, the earth is logically only big enough to support around 4 billion humans that means we've got 2 - 3 billion extra people on the planet and we're taking the planet with us on our way down. Perhaps this is why for around the last 300 years there has not been one day of peace worldwide.

Given infinity a lot of things will happen, humanity could colonize the stars, humanity could be wiped out by aliens, humanity could rise from the ashes of their destroyed colonies and survive it's an impossible question. No one knows what infinity has instore for us, the fact however that galaxies are really super massive black holes slowly sucking the galaxy in to itself and we don't know what happens to planets/suns/people on the other side of a black hole we'll have to hold on that one.

The truth shall set ye free, it's better to know something even if it hurts because ignorance is not bliss and if we remain ignorant of our world it only leads to greater heartache in the long term. Given humanities natural ability to rebound from the most devastating events we would eventually move on in our lives and accept the truth told.

Unfortunately, common practice states if a majority says it is so then it is so. However if you see a yellow ball and everyone else sees a purple ball you've just gotta accept what you see with your own eyes, this is like the previous question of proving others exist outside of your own mind, think how easily people in power can convince you something is true even when it's a lie? Learn to accept what you see with your own eyes and find others who also share your opinion. I wouldn't prove my side because it is impossible to do so.

Knowledge is power, education gives knowledge therefore education = power now the interesting thing is water = the force of life, nothing can live without it and fire = the force of destruction generally fire destroys. Knowledge and educated people have been forces for both creation and destruction since the dawn of man, gun powder, the nuclear bomb both destructive. Though without one the other cannot exist look at our greatest medical advances, all are made in times of war to repair humans so they might get back to destroying other humans quicker this includes super glue, x-ray machines, cario monitors and many other medical tools. Therefore Education is both the filling of a pail and the lighting of a fire.

I can't truly answer this question until I'm in the situation where I have a choice to make and it's life or death. However since I'm afraid to die like most humans I'd probably go pretty far to survive. Put me on an island in the ocean alone and I'd probably do a lot of things I couldn't think I'd do now to survive, put me with a group of others and I'm sure I'd use every inch of my body and mind to survive even at the cost of others lives.

Yes a lie is a lie if everybody knows it is, just because everyone knows the truth doesn't mean if that one person telling the lie is still telling their lie that they're not lieing a lie is only the truth if people do not know the truth this is why the truth shall set you free and it is better to live without hope than to exist ignorantly.

Well, first thing this is a bit morbid, how bad a wreck are we talking? fatal? just shunting another car? going over a cliff? you know so many limitless posibilities, however after a car wreck I'd say everything is going to be pretty messy with broken glass/plastic around.

It's a possibility, however one would assume your life flashing before your eyes means it plays out really fast and only key parts come back to you. You wouldn't remember every little breath, every heart beat, every key stroke, every word spoken or written. Therefore no I don't believe this is my life flashing before my eyes.

Wtf? Ok firstly abortion...A man always has a choice when it comes to children. He can walk away from the woman and the child and never see them again. He can walk away and not even have to pay money to the child if he claims it is not his child. Therefore the decision to keep a baby or not is always the woman's choice, she makes the decision because it is her body and her life it will affect more. A man in that situation has an opinion not a say and if he knows the woman will follow his opinion because she wants to please him he should keep it to himself otherwise she will forever hate herself and him for listening.

Secondly religion; What the hell does that have to do with anything? So the guy is a conservative christian that doesn't mean he's against free will and abortion. I could understand this question more if he was catholic. The woman is an atheist he must have known when he married her that this was so, if he really really hates her atheism that much that he would seek to force her to follow his religion in this situation then he should never have married her because that is just stupid. If you cannot be with someone unconditionally don't be with them at all. Thats similar to me meeting say a topless model who is interested in me and I in her and yet saying; "hey I can be with you but you can never pose topless again" she chose to be a glamour model and was so when I met her what right do I have in that situation to tell her she cannot continue doing her career of choice because I want to be with her? None at all. Religion annoys me when people use it like this.

Thirdly the chance the kid could grow up to be a gay mormon; Well thats the thing with life, it's always a possibility, anything can and will happen. If we could predict how humans were going to turn out; mass murderer, gay, lesbian, crazy, genius ect ect ect we'd have no crime or socilogical/moral defects (depending on the majority of societies opinion this being what a moral is) because there would be laws passed meaning that no one with defects would be born and we'd lose that what makes us human - free will.

PS. sorry Rye for using you as an example (especially for a prostitute lol) but you signed in on msn when I wrote that and well first name I see that people would know here is what I used.

fire_of_avalon
05-03-2008, 02:27 PM
If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear, does it make a sound? In the sense of physics the same thing happens that would ordinarily create sound. But if nothing in the vicinity is there to experience that then the physical effect goes unexperienced. If the event is unexperienced then it can't be experienced. Sound is an event that must be experienced to exist.

I say greed.

Yes

What do you mean?

In my definition, yeah.

Chinese checkers.

Yes.

Whatever we more or less agree on.

Solipsism is bad.

The illegality of murder isn't what's stopped me from killing another. The lack of desire to kill is.

foa is all encompassing, therefore she has no opposite unless you can name something that is traitless.

Not hurting monkeys.

Who said I was going to prove that?

I think so but I could be wrong.

What? I mean, yeah. Probably several times over.

Know the truth and be hurt.

How would I know it was yellow if I was told it was purple?

Fire platitude

Eat bugs or people, I guess.

Yes.

What?

No, I'm not crazy.

Men do not allow women to have abortions. Women can do whatever the hell they want with their own bodies.

Randgris
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Of course it does.

Pride, cause pride invokes envy, that leads to wrath and eventually leads to greed.

I hope not, cause I intend on having one monogamous relationship.

Not everytime. But everyone could be very competitive. You watched ANTM too much. :D

I'm not sure but I do believe that humans are not essentially evil.

Monopoly. Actually I was thinking of Big Brother :love:

I am a genius, no need to discuss this.

There is no right or wrong in an opinion based society. They come to an agreement where they give their terms and settle it.

:eep: just keep on believing.

Probably... Yes.

I think everything has an opposite. I can't think of any singular object that doesn't have an opposite.

When you are proud you did what's best.

I can't prove it yet for I have never experienced this thing called love.

Global warming, population boom, we'll all be dead in just a few years/decades.

I don't believe in the infinity. If there was infinity (time) then, what sense does 'Judgement Day' make?

I think it is better to know the truth. Being hurt is something that makes a person, alive and stronger.

I'd believe myself cause I am a genius :love:

Fire. Burn baby burn!

Probably the worst I could do is steal, cheat and lie. I would try not to eat the person beside me, or let him/her eat me.

A lie is a lie. White lies are lies. You lie. This is a lie. I am lying.

I would be in a coma for a week and when I wake up, I would have amnesia.

Nope.

Nope. He's a Christian and I bet he doesn't believe in abortion.

Dynast-Kid
05-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes! No one hears it, that's all.

Neither. I don't think that humanity naturally has pride and greed hardwired into us. Pride is an over-abundance of self-confidence, and greed is misapplication of desire and control.

Biologically speaking, yes. The reason men love sex so much is because it's one of our baser, inherent instincts.

No. If women were in their primal state of instinct, all they'd care about is reproducing and caring for young. Civilization and other factors (such as the concept of monogamy), can make women competitive with each other.

No. I believe we're just highly developed creatures, all with the opprotunity to go down good or bad paths.

A weird mix of Survivor, Monopoly, and The Bachelor.

Uhh, like once.

Tough question!

Since everyone views things from a varying degree of individuality, a society such as that has no room for universal codes and morals such as Right and Wrong. I think...

Uhh, ask other people whether they know them to?

Good Lord, no! xD

Uhh, I guess most things have an opposite?

The ability to act on your personal beliefs and to not allow others to define and mold you.

I guess I can't really answer this until I experience it!

Through an indirect sequence of events, maybe. Or maybe a huge comet.

No. Possibilities are endless.

I guess it'd be best to know. Even though ignorance is bliss, the truth, even when it hurts, is always the best thing, I think.

Haha, what!? If I see it as yellow, then it's yellow! But I dunno, I might need to see an optometrist.

Filling of a pail, I guess?

A lot.

Yeah! And the liar would be very bad at what he does.

Crashes. Shattering. Breaking.

No...I have wondered if it was a dream though.

Okay, how'd they even get married in the first place!? And no, she can do whatever she wants to.

Madame Adequate
05-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Men do not allow women to have abortions. Women can do whatever the hell they want with their own bodies.

Why do pro-abortion people never understand that it has very little to do with controlling women and very much to do with saving lives? You can't do what you want with your own body at all, male or female - you can't put your hands around another person's neck and squeeze them until they are dead. If someone thinks that abortion is murder then there is no sexist element, there is an element of stopping millions of murders murders, and sex and gender do not enter into it.

41-Inches-Wide
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Why do pro-abortion people never understand that it has very little to do with controlling women and very much to do with saving lives?

Aicha doesn't understand the part about saving lives. :kaoclove:

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to hear, does it make a sound? You might say that sonic waves aren't technically considered "sound" until the signal's interpreted and perceived as noise. I'm not sure I agree with that, though.
I know! It's weird because does a sound become a sound the moment that it is created or when it is heard? Gosh :jess:
Like for example you and a friend are in a haunted room together and it's quiet and the friend turns to you, "Hey did you hear that ghastly moan-like sound? Omg!", and you haven't heard it and you shrug and say, "No." cause you didn't hear anything. Ugh is this even right I don't know.

Geeze louise. :kaoclove:

DarkLadyNyara
05-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Yes.

Pride

Yes, they are. Though not as much as women. :D

Yes, yes we are. Humans in general are naturally competitive, and women are just as human as men.

Depends on how you define "good", but I would say yes.

"...an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

Yes. Often. Mostly by my Academec Decathalon coach. Of course, she also called me lazy as all hell. :D

In one's actions. Holding an opinion does not give you the right to act on it or enforce it on others.

You can't.

No. It's easier to ignore them.

No. most emotions don't have any but the most contrived of opposites.

Being able to look at yourself in the mirror without cringing.

Does it?

Given our current course, it seems likely. With luck, I'll be dead by then.

Yes. Of course, I could argue that all that's possible does happen, but that would take several hours, several pages, and likely give everyone a headache. :D

Know the truth.

I'd believe them, most likely. (I'd also get my eyes checked.)

Bit of both, but mainly the latter.

Almost anything short of cold-blooded murder.

Yes.

I'd probably be in shock

Not until now, I didn't. Thanks. Thanks a lot. :tongue:

Allow be damned, it's not him carrying it.

Why do pro-abortion people never understand that it has very little to do with controlling women and very much to do with saving lives?
You mean aside from not considering a fetus a "person"? Because on one extreame, you have the "It's a life! Except for cases of rape, because it's not her fault" crowd. (Hello, blatant hypocricy:rolleyes2) On the other you have the "No abortions, ever, not even when the woman will die" crowd. Neither of those posi<b></b>tions, in my opinion, shows much respect for life.

Citizen Bleys
05-04-2008, 05:39 AM
If all the world’s a stage and we are merely players…” what game are we playing?
Murderball or Rugby, belike. And all the refs are blind.

fire_of_avalon
05-04-2008, 05:47 AM

Why do pro-abortion people never understand that it has very little to do with controlling women and very much to do with saving lives? You can't do what you want with your own body at all, male or female - you can't put your hands around another person's neck and squeeze them until they are dead. If someone thinks that abortion is murder then there is no sexist element, there is an element of stopping millions of murders murders, and sex and gender do not enter into it.

Of course it does. The very fact that only women can carry children makes the issue one primarily of sex and gender.

Don't you fight with me in this thread, sir! You want to fight with me about this you fight me via PM.

Iceglow
05-04-2008, 10:23 AM
If you think about Abortion as murder then why the hell would you marry an atheist who is pro-abortion? I'm pro-abortion because well, if you look at the rule of it's not fully developed, it's not breathing for itself, it's not feeding itself essentially until a baby is born it is merely a parasite on the mothers body. We all kill parasites, when your dog/cat gets fleas it's out with the flea treatments, when your kid/self gets headlice or genetal lice it's out with the headlice treatments so why would a baby which until it is born and therefore "giving itself life" be considered anything other than a parasite?

Lawr
05-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Captain Maxx FTW.

Ignorance

No, or else that would be the biggest excuse to become Mormon

Seems like it to me. . . :shifty:

No, we are born neutral

Tomb Raider

Yes

Whatever the majority says

Adolescents are not capable of abstract thinking. You know how hard it is for me to post in Eyes on Eachother?

I don't and didn't have any reason

I don't think so. My example? The number zero

I don't know

I could give you a list of married couples?

The Earth doesn't have that much time

No

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater

I would think that I was color blind, seeing as how males are more likely

It's like reading a book.

I haven't thought about that before

Yeah, duh.

I fly out the window and drift down a river. Scientists find me and splice my genes, giving my super powers. :tongue:

Something similar.

The husband should have known what he was getting in to. He should let his wife do whatever she wants. That's what I think.