PDA

View Full Version : howl's moving castle

rubah
05-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Stu and I just watched this, and I think I fell in love :o

every time turnip head would jump around I would squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee like a fangirl, and every time Heen wheezed.

I could tell from the onset that the world depicted would be one I would wish I could run away to, and I was right ;o

It makes me happy that there are people that can come up with such wonderful things as they put in there.

(the only downside was sophie's awful voice. I preferred her middle one :p)

NeoCracker
05-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Of course it rocked. Basically anything Miyazaki rocks.

Howls moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Naussica of the Valley of Wind, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, and Lupin III: Caslte of Cagliostro (Or however it's spelled, dont' feel like pulling out the DVD).

Shiny
05-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah, I'm not crazy about Emily Mortimer's voice for Sophie. That aside, I thought Turnip Head and the Wicked Witch of the Waste were hilarious.

Kes
05-03-2008, 01:19 AM
I was not a fan. I like some of Miyazaki's stuff, but I think I liked the book by Diana Wynne Jones too much to really feel the movie did it justice.

Balzac
05-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Only seen this in Japanese, so I have no idea what her voice is like in English.

It's a fantastic movie though.

DMKA
05-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Eh, I never bothered to watch it. Aside of Spirited Away I don't have my love for Miyazaki.

Big D
05-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Damn good film - lots of familiar ideas and settings, but used in such an original way. I need to see either a properly subtitled version, or an English dub sometime though, since the version I saw had a rather sketchy translation at points.

Momiji
05-03-2008, 03:20 AM
I saw a bit of this on TV a few weeks ago. I thought it looked pretty good, but then again, it goes without saying, being a Miyazaki film. I need to watch all of it soon. :D

Renmiri
05-03-2008, 04:41 AM
Oh this movie was much better than Spirited Away IMHO. I loved the anti-war message :)

Germ Hamee
05-03-2008, 10:50 AM
It was total butchery of a perfectly good book. :(

Breine
05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I love Miyazaki, and so obviously I think this movie is amazing. All his movies are, basically.

I've only watched it in Japanese, and that version is great. I'm all about watching movies in their original language, with subtitles of course.

Iceglow
05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
The funny thing was nothing seems to happen for the first hour and a half then all of a sudden at the end it's like 10 minutes of "WTF!!!!????" insanity. I remember going to the prince charles trust cinema in leceister square to watch this and for all but the last 10 mins everyone was silent then the last 10 mins had us all laughing and saying "What the....?" fantastic movie though

Miriel
05-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Miyazaki's films have this amazing duality to them. On one hand, there's this hazy sort of feeling to them. As though you're falling asleep and going into a dream world. And on the other hand, it's incredibly vibrant and exciting and fantastical.

I loved Howl's Moving Castle. Right from the opening scene I thought it was enchanting. The book was great, and the movie is a good interpretation of the book. And definitely, there is imagery used that my own imagination couldn't have come up with and it's amazing to see that displayed through the film.

Remedy
05-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I totally loved this movie specially when Japanese anime mixed with Disney works.
you should try watching:
-Princess Mononoke
-Kiki Delivery Service
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns

and I'm planning to watch My Neighbor Totoro (23.07% downloaded)

41-Inches-Wide
05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I got the Studio Ghibli DVD and it's one of my most favorite movies. I've read the book as well and I still think both are amazing.

qwertysaur
05-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I totally loved this movie specially when Japanese anime mixed with Disney works.
you should try watching:
-Princess Mononoke
-Kiki Delivery Service
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns

Your list is missing Nausicaä.

rubah
05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Because they clearly knew that I've seen nausicaa 8)

leilei
05-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I really like this movie too

I didn't enjoy the stairs sequence though

Nominus Experse
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Miyazaki's films have this amazing duality to them. On one hand, there's this hazy sort of feeling to them. As though you're falling asleep and going into a dream world. And on the other hand, it's incredibly vibrant and exciting and fantastical.

I loved Howl's Moving Castle. Right from the opening scene I thought it was enchanting. The book was great, and the movie is a good interpretation of the book. And definitely, there is imagery used that my own imagination couldn't have come up with and it's amazing to see that displayed through the film.
I couldn't say it any better, so I will quote Miriel.

My girlfriend and I absolutely adore this film.

Remedy
05-03-2008, 09:43 PM
you should try watching:
-Princess Mononoke
-Kiki Delivery Service
- Spirited Away
- The Cat Returns

Your list is missing Nausicaä.

I give a list that I've watched already
Nausicaä oh my I saw the trailer from youtube and I can't wait to watch it
I guess looking at this thread gives me new anime/movies to watch - keep telling me of more movies LOL

BTW I just watched My Neighbor Totoro about 10 minetus ago and it's lovely movie .. specially the cute little girl Mei oh how I adore her ^^

eestlinc
05-05-2008, 05:36 AM
I liked this movie quite a bit.

Dreddz
05-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I have yet to see this, I dont see how Miyazaki can come close to the brilliance that is Castle of Cagliostro so Im not even going to bother with this film.

Remedy
05-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I didn't like Laputa - The Castle in the Sky

Breine
05-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I have yet to see this, I dont see how Miyazaki can come close to the brilliance that is Castle of Cagliostro so Im not even going to bother with this film.

That's a damn shame, since you're gonna miss out on a very good movie. Guess it's up to you, though.

Raistlin
05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
As someone that doesn't watch very much anime and at first thought I wouldn't like it, I was very impressed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I read the book after I watched it, and definitely enjoyed the movie, but I would have loved a closer rendition. As I understand though, Diana Wynne Jones rather liked it.

"It's fantastic. No, I have no input—I write books, not films. Yes it will be different from the book—in fact it's likely to be very different, but that's as it should be. It will still be a fantastic film."

Gogo
05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
This is an excellent movie, but I liked both Spirited Away and My Neighbour Totoro better.

Big D
05-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I have yet to see this, I dont see how Miyazaki can come close to the brilliance that is Castle of Cagliostro so Im not even going to bother with this film.I really don't understand that. You think Howl's might be slightly less good than a different film, so you're not going to watch it? That kind of thinking must stymie your film-choosing process a little, if you've gotta keep watching better and better movies without seeing anything less good...

NeoCracker
05-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I have yet to see this, I dont see how Miyazaki can come close to the brilliance that is Castle of Cagliostro so Im not even going to bother with this film.I really don't understand that. You think Howl's might be slightly less good than a different film, so you're not going to watch it? That kind of thinking must stymie your film-choosing process a little, if you've gotta keep watching better and better movies without seeing anything less good...

Yeah, and how can you set Cagliostro as the minimun standard at that?

I mean, it's rare to find a movie NEARLY that good.