PDA

View Full Version : high cpu usage with tablet

rubah
05-05-2008, 01:12 AM
It's gotten about to the point where I can't use my intuos3 in photoshop. When I try to do small lines like with the pencil or smudge tool, the cpu shoots up to 50-60% on both cores and I have to run the fans at about 5000 rpm to keep it from getting to be 80C. (I even made a new setting in smcspeed fan called 'photoshop lol'. my usual setting of 2500 rpm usually keeps it about 55C while web browsing etc).

I've been googling things the last couple of days and it really doesn't seem that anything helps even though a lot of people seem to have this problem. I've updated the drivers from wacom, checked photoshop's brush settings, and adjusted the sensitivity on the tablet, but it still goes to insanely high cpu usage and temperatures.

I wouldn't really notice it but it makes the brush strokes laggy as hell (even on small documents) and I can hear the fans speeding up. I hate that sound, it makes me freakout 'oh no, whats wrong ;.;'

any ideas? anyone get anything more useful out of google? Or is a 2.4gz core duo; 2gb ram not sufficient for these purposes? because you'd think that it was!

[the thread icon is representative of what will happen to my internal hardware components if photoshop keeps pushing the temps to 80C]

oh scratch that, it's high cpu usage even with the track pad. seriously, what the hell is up with this? :[

crono_logical
05-07-2008, 02:45 AM
You sure it's not infected with some sort of weird key/mouselogger? :p

edit: oh, you're probably on a mac though, in which case, no idea :p

Avarice-ness
05-07-2008, 06:46 AM
Eh.. I don't have an Intuos but the only time my graphire 4 will lag up my computer is either when I plug it in or there's been too much memory used from Photoshop.

Basically, the second I either restart the computer or close down photoshop, everything goes back to normal. It only happens for cases like a really large PDF file, I've left the computer on for a couple of days, I've left photoshop up for a while, or I plugged in my tablet while photoshop was already running.

Have you updated the intuos driver? When I plugged my graphire into the desktop computer (with Vista on it) it was like... ultimate lag show down until I downloaded the latest driver.

rubah
05-09-2008, 03:50 AM
It does it without the tablet. Obviously adobe sucks at cocoa coding! yes I updated my drivers and it no it didn't make a difference.

and no, it's not running in rosetta!

Rostum
05-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh what's that? My Intuos3 is running perfectly smooth in Windows XP? Oh dear! Bwahaha! [/machate]

Joking aside, the only thing I could think of is to uninstall the tablet and Photoshop completely (including the registries) and install them fresh. Otherwise I couldn't really see a reason for it to run sluggish, though I have no experience with Rosetta or newer Mac's (last Mac I used was a late G4).

Hope you fix it! It'd suck to be without a tablet. Hey if all else fails maybe give Wacom a call?

rubah
05-09-2008, 06:23 AM
without the tablet.

not running in rosetta!

so I dunno :}

also registries? ahahaha. I believe we call those 'receipts' in osx land, but I am not sure.

I probably will try to reinstall photoshop in the future, though (too bad it's like a million hour long progress).