PDA

View Full Version : The Evil Exam of Death

duckie
05-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I have to take the SAT/ACT pretty soon. It's basically the test that will decide what college I can get into, if I can get into one at all. I am doomed.

Have you ever had to take an exam like that, and if so how did you do?

Jessweeee♪
05-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I took the ACT in April....I DIED. Still don't know my exact scores, but I know they are BAD.

Zeldy
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
GCSEs are just like that. Colleges except you on how many As and A*s you get at GCSEs, and they also stay with you for the rest of your life. My GCSEs start in a week xD

I'm under immense pressure, as my favourite college is a very successful college, so only except people who score 52 points (atleast 2 As and 6 Bs eg. A* is worth 10 points, A is worth 8, B is worth 6 and a C is worth 4. They only take your top 8 GCSE scores out of 9 or 10 exams). I really really want to go to that college, so I really need to work ;_;

Aerith's Knight
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
Nope, the way its set up in the netherlands is that if you have passing grades, you can enter any college/uni you want(its a class-based system)

The only test like that was after grade school, an IQ-test of sorts that showed in which class/group you belonged.

duckie
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Nope, the way its set up in the netherlands is that if you have passing grades, you can enter any college/uni you want(its a class-based system)

We have community college where as long as you grauated high school you can get into it.

Sergeant Hartman
05-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't worry Zeldy, you'll be looking back on GCSE's and thinking how easy they were.

rubah
05-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I got a 32 on the act and a 2100/2200 something on SAT. They were grueling to sit through.

Rye
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
I despise the SATs more than anything because I invested so much time trying to get some freaking brilliant score on it, to get into NYU, because it's such a ridiculously difficult school to get into, even though I have a 4.0 GPA anyway and SATs should not have so much clout in the matter. But that's the way it goes with near Ivy Leagues!

End of story: I did better than all but my super AP-Club friends, but it still wasn't good enough, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL REJECTED. Yeah, I'm kind of bitter whenever I hear about the SATs. I'm convinced if I had done better on my math SAT scores, I'd have gotten in, because my SATs in Reading and Writing were all well in the range expected for NYU. Ugh. Freaking SATs. Maybe I'll try to transfer because SATs won't be such a big freaking deal then.

1830/2400.

Momiji
05-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I took the ACT last month, and the SAT on Saturday. I hated both of them, I'm glad they're over.

Tallulah
05-05-2008, 05:24 PM
GCSEs are horrible at the time. but I agree with Sargent Hartman on this one. :p I remember quite enjoying my English Literature one. :D

Rye
05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. My AP English Literature exam is this week. And I have to send my AP Art portfolio in soon.

Ashi
05-05-2008, 06:43 PM
My highschool finals were sort of like that. They determined what schools accepted you and what didn't. I did badlyl. But there is this English exam that we also do alongside the finals and apparently I scored kinda high there so a nice school really needed to have me. That was one of the things that saved me, and it seems my math and physics grades were decent (that's what my first year college supervisor told me - they weren't decent to me) and they somehow took that into consideration.

One big reason I didn't do well in those exams was stress. Every spot, every room and every little place I tried to study suddenly didn't seem clean or orderly enough. Seriously. When did we ever care about the cleanliness of where we studied? When we were studying for something <i>really</i> important, that's when. So if that urge comes along, don't give in.

duckie
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Oh, I almost forgot. My AP English Literature exam is this week. And I have to send my AP Art portfolio in soon.
My AP English Language exam is on May 14th.
Next year (AKA my senior year) I'll have 4 AP tests. Not to mention taking the SAT/ACT again. I know I'm a nerd, but I have to take it over and over until I get the score I want.

hhr1dluv
05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Don't worry too much about your ACTs or SATs. You'll do better if you're calm. ;)

Also, those tests are important but it's not the end of the world if you don't get good scores. Make sure your grades and extracurriculars are strong and you should be okay. Of course, more competitive schools seem to require high scores. :rolleyes2 I took the '1600' SAT, and at the time a strong score for a fairly competitive school was a 1200. For Ivy Leagues, you'd need around a 1400 (2100) to be seriously considered, unless you have amazing skills in something else. Also, take SAT IIs! You can choose subjects you're strong in and do really well on those!

I had a 1520/1600 on mine (800 verbal and 720 math). It was always my dream to go to an Ivy League school, and fortunately I got into one. (Go Bulldogs!)

Zeldy
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
GCSEs are horrible at the time. but I agree with Sargent Hartman on this one. :p I remember quite enjoying my English Literature one. :D
I did my English Literature GCSE last year early, in year 10, as I'm a big English nerd xD I found it enjoyable too, except the book I had to write about was 'The Catcher in the Rye'. I got an A though~

I'm not too worried about my GCSEs, but I just know how gutted I'll be if I don't get the grades I want xD

Ouch!
05-05-2008, 07:27 PM
My sister just took her SAT; my results set a standard for her to beat, but she seems to believe she has failed to topple my score. I'd gloat about it to her if I actually cared.

Quindiana Jones
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
HAH! You big pansy.

I have to learn 15 minutes of french presentation and discussion by Wednesday. I only finished writing it on Sunday, and have spent all of today learning it.

I have yet to learn my discussion. :(

Over the next two months, I have a fair few exams on varying subjects, all of which I will fail if I do not revise, and will B/C if I do revise, at best. Philosophy is a three hour exam. GCSEs and SATs were fart easy, and I barely did a sausage of revision for both and still got A/Bs and the like.

College is a great bastard difference to school, and I imagine University is even worse. I am expecting a uni student to "HAH! You big pansy!" me, in response to this.

Kes
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
My sister just took her SAT; my results set a standard for her to beat, but she seems to believe she has failed to topple my score. I'd gloat about it to her if I actually cared.

My brother did the same for the ACT. Except I'm petty enough that if he had actually beat me I'd emo out.

Also, only take the SAT IIs if one(+) of the schools you're <i>really</i> interested in requires them. They're extra time, money and stress that you really do not need at this point, in my opinion.

Rye
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
abou
My brother did the same for the ACT. Except I'm petty enough that if he had actually beat me I'd emo out.

Also, only take the SAT IIs if one(+) of the schools you're <i>really</i> interested in requires them. They're extra time, money and stress that you really do not need at this point, in my opinion.

Agreed. I did two of them, and while I did great on my English Literature one, I did pretty poorly on my US History one since I didn't study, I didn't take AP History, and I was depressed at the time, so I could hardly get myself really into it.

Jessweeee♪
05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I took the ACT in April....I DIED. Still don't know my exact scores, but I know they are BAD.

HAHAHA I got them just some hours later!

I got a two on the writing section....

Your essay provided very little writing about your ideas. Try to write more about the topic.

I Took the Red Pill
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
SAT: 2270 if including writing, 1510 if not.
ACT: fuck that noise

Xaven
05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Just took my SAT II on Saturday. Haven't done SAT I yet!

I had originally signed up for Biology, Math II, and US History, but I just left before the history one. I fail at history, and during the first break, my friends complained about how it was murder. :D

I think I failed at Math II. Meaning, below 800. All my friends got 800s on it. >:[

I take it you're doing your SAT I on the June date, duckie. Should've done May and June! And April! And every month!

Aerith's Knight
05-06-2008, 01:40 AM

We have community college where as long as you grauated high school you can get into it.

This is different.. you have these levels and these colleges you can go to

VMBO -> MBO (80% of the population) = community college

HAVO -> HBO (10% of the population) = private/normal College

VWO -> University (10% of the population) = says it.. Uni

I was in VWO and could therefore without problems get into the Uni

once again to boast.. We get paid 5000 dollar a year to go to Uni/college :p.. for 6 years! and you need naught but passing grades for it.

Madame Adequate
05-06-2008, 02:06 AM
I once started taking a SAT for fun, but ended up stopping because real uni work was also needing done, and I couldn't be arsed with it once the free time rolled around.

rubah
05-06-2008, 03:06 AM
you paid to do something you just stopped doing?

Rye
05-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Oh no, rubah. xD That little nutcase Hux saw me studying for them, and printed out his own free SAT off of collegeboard to take because he's 30 kinds of nerdbomber. I dunno who would ever take them willing. I'm kind of glad he stopped, he probably would have gotten some incredible score without studying and make me cry inside.

Shoeberto
05-06-2008, 03:20 AM
I despised the SAT when I took it. It was like a bajillion hours long. I don't even remember what score I got. Eventually I just decided that the ACT was just all-around a better test of understanding, so I focused on that. I got a 28 twice, which disappointed me, because I was really shooting for a 30+. And that's the story of why the university doesn't want to give me any money to come here.

Tavrobel
05-06-2008, 03:22 AM
I dunno who would ever take them willing. I'm kind of glad he stopped, he probably would have gotten some incredible score without studying and make me cry inside.

Might I remind you that SATs are less than a valid source of judging the intelligence of a person. They're only used because the Ivy League Schools still want to use them.

My SATs were 1890, 2070 the first and second times, respectively. Those I didn't need to try nearly as hard for, because my Science and Math grades were more important, accompanied by the potential to earn credit from my AP classes. Those go on until next Tuesday, with one every day except Friday. Yay me.

mooglebunni608
05-06-2008, 04:25 AM
I've got three finals tomorrow, at least two of which I will probably fail.

*cries*

duckie
05-06-2008, 12:29 PM
My sister just took her SAT; my results set a standard for her to beat, but she seems to believe she has failed to topple my score.
My cousin went in with a hangover to the SAT, and he did better than my other cousin who went in totally prepared.

duckie
05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
I take it you're doing your SAT I on the June date, duckie. Should've done May and June! And April! And every month!
I know, but my family is known for being procrastinators. I kept forgetting to register, and then it got too late. *sigh*

Jessweeee♪
05-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Once a month? Gawd, I'm dying just thinking about taking it again period.