PDA

View Full Version : Gaia:Final Fantasy promotes faith.

Garnie
05-07-2008, 12:25 AM
ill be honest here!
I'm a very "head in the clouds" sort of girl and 100% belive in magic. you can call me insane and nuts but there are things i belive in this world that most would'nt.

When i finished playing FFVII i realised that i didnt love the game because it was just so fantastic but i trully belived that the ideas of the life stream were belivebul to an extent.

well most people would disagree and call me an insane weirdo that needs to get a life!

But back on topic. It trully amazes me that most of the details and myth that are in the games come from mytholgy and tales from around the world and people actully belive them! such as Gaia the Goddess. when i first saw this i was acctully really impressed with square for coming up with such a wonderfull storyline. but when i found the link to wiki on Gaia i was amazed even further.

Theres lots in the games that are actully taken from real life myths and i know about some of them but lets see how many we can acutully find and wether or not that you could honestly open your minds and belive in it too!
Gaia the Goddess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_%28mythology%29)

Captain Maxx Power
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Theres lots in the games that are actully taken from real life myths and i know about some of them but lets see how many we can acutully find and wether or not that you could honestly open your minds and belive in it too!
Gaia the Goddess (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_%28mythology%29)

There's this saying; "Don't be so open minded that your brain falls out". I don't think it's a case of being open-minded, I think it's a case of demanding something more from such observations of the nature of life than simple faith that it happens to be true.

KentaRawr!
05-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Most ingame religions I see seem pretty basic, so I don't really imagine them being based off of real religions. Then again, there are loads of things in RPG's and so such that are taken from mythology, so it's not an odd idea.

I always linked the life-stream to the circle of life, personally. Going to the Earth and all that.

Aerith's Knight
05-07-2008, 02:42 AM
circle of life is called reincarnation

Garnie
05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
with the life stream and stuff with all of the "returning to the planet" milarky is somthing i feel to be quite true. simply because why is it when things die and there buried they make plants and things more fertile.
you gotta admit that is pretty wonderfull.

KentaRawr!
05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
with the life stream and stuff with all of the "returning to the planet" milarky is somthing i feel to be quite true. simply because why is it when things die and there buried they make plants and things more fertile.
you gotta admit that is pretty wonderfull.

I told that to a friend of mine once. He said that I was being too scientific. :p

Quindiana Jones
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Halo = religion.

Bear in mind nobody's trying to convert anybody, it's just religion and mythology make awesome games.

Mirage
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Final Fantasy games also demote faith, just look at FFX.

Heath
05-07-2008, 10:40 PM
I've not really played a game more critical of religion than FFX is. It shows religion (or at least Spira's religion) to be corrupt, inept, lying and oppressive.

I've always loved the mythology and history in the Shadow Hearts games myself.

Quindiana Jones
05-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I've not really played a game more critical of religion than FFX is. It shows religion (or at least Spira's religion) to be corrupt, inept, lying and oppressive.

Religion shows religion to be corrupt, inept, lying and oppressive. :laugh:

That made me think: is it just me, or are the religious lot usually the bad guys?

leilei
05-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Playing Final Fantasy makes me want to be all Pearl and White.

Vivisteiner
05-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Someone play Final Fantasy Tactics.

Strawberry_Mew
05-08-2008, 04:13 AM

I have to agree with you XD

Garnie
05-10-2008, 03:34 PM

I have to agree with you XD

yeah thats true. I agree with that but whos to say that every religion is correct anyway. I'm a christian but i dont belive in the bible. anyway i truely belive that some of these mythilogical religions or belifes are correct to a point. just because we cant see it, doesnt mean it cant be real

KentaRawr!
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM

I always figured the circle of life to be one's death resulting in the fertility of a plant, that a certain animal will eat. Then, something will either eat that animal, or that animal will die, and their corpse will act as fertility to a plant, that a certain animal will eat. Then, something will either eat that animal, or the animal will die, and their corpse will act as fertility to a plant, that a certain animal will eat.

Randgris
05-10-2008, 05:04 PM

Religion shows religion to be corrupt, inept, lying and oppressive. :laugh:

That made me think: is it just me, or are the religious lot usually the bad guys?

I'd rather call them fanatics than religious

tiffany
05-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Well I am Indian and we beleive the circle of like connects all things, and we all return back into the circle once we pass, so I guess you could call that the life stream.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-10-2008, 10:54 PM

I always figured the circle of life to be one's death resulting in the fertility of a plant, that a certain animal will eat. Then, something will either eat that animal, or that animal will die, and their corpse will act as fertility to a plant, that a certain animal will eat. Then, something will either eat that animal, or the animal will die, and their corpse will act as fertility to a plant, that a certain animal will eat.

Same.

Reincarnation is more or less, something that is "you" (soul or w/e you want to call it) is reborn as another being after you pass away. In most religious context, it is stuck in the perpetual cycle of death and rebirth and the goal is often the cessation of rebirths.

Fonzie
05-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Same.

Reincarnation is more or less, something that is "you" (soul or w/e you want to call it) is reborn as another being after you pass away. In most religious context, it is stuck in the perpetual cycle of death and rebirth and the goal is often the cessation of rebirths.

Coincidentally, I got Nirvana for Yuna earlier today.

Quindiana Jones
05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I bet she was chuffed.

Gogo
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
The Behemoth, Coeurl, and Tiamat were taken from the Bible I believe.

Goldenboko
05-11-2008, 07:26 PM
When designing a game, you can either A. Make up all of the names yourself, creating names like "Lucario", and "Ike" or name your monsters crap like "One Eye".

Or, you can do yourself a favor and have names taken from real life myths such as Cyclops and Gaia.

That doesn't mean your game is based off Greek, Biblical, etc. stories.