PDA

View Full Version : Puck the folice?

Araciel
05-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Hey...

Since I'm in the process of becoming an RCMP officer (Canada's federal police force) I'm wondering how you all feel about the police, whether it be from personal experience with this part of law enforcement, or even just what you think of them from watching movies/tv.

DMKA
05-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow, I just imagined how awesome a Canadian episode of COPS would be.

Rye
05-07-2008, 12:38 AM
YOU'RE GONNA BE A MOUNTIE? :bigsmile:

Heeeee. A lot of my family are cops, the Irish-American kind. I think it's a fantastic career. My step-grandpa supported a huge family through that. My uncle, who's only just a bit under 50, has already retired from the force, and gets a nice retirement package from it. My other uncle is a bit younger, so he's still on the force. I like cops.

Cheese_lover
05-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Good luck. Give them hell. My dad was a cop in london back in the day. Goodluck

KentaRawr!
05-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Well, that depends on the officer in question. I remember watching COPS, and most of them seemed quite uppity...

Ah, well. You'll make fine law enforcement.

Parker
05-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Cops around here kinda suck. Most of them I've met are either way too arrogant or kinda corrupt. But the good cops that are around are great, nice guys who care about what they're doing.

It's not always an easy job but the perks are great and if you are good at it it's a great career. Good luck! :D

Bunny
05-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Man, I hate that Sting guy.

Rye
05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Man, I hate that Sting guy.

Bun-Bun, you don't have to put out that redddd lighttttt~ :kaoclove:

Madame Adequate
05-07-2008, 12:52 AM
I have an inherent distrust of all authority. I respect police, and I think they probably get a bad rep on balance, but I'm utterly paranoid of what a person can do with the kind of power cops have.

Kes
05-07-2008, 01:01 AM
I've disliked the police in general ever since they crashed my tenth birthday party.

Aerith's Knight
05-07-2008, 01:05 AM
As long as you'll be a fair officer, all's good

Citizen Bleys
05-07-2008, 01:37 AM
It depends on where you are. The RCMP in Halifax? Awesome. They do their job and do it well. Here in Moncton? They're as useless as a dick on an apple tree. People around here routinely drive drunk because the cops don't do squat unless it's a minor offense (like being 5km/h over the limit in a 110 zone). I think half the cops in Moncton drive drunk routinely. Everyone, including the media, knows which tittie bar in Moncton is a front for a cocaine ring, but the cops won't do bugger.

Roto13
05-07-2008, 01:56 AM
I've heard horror stories about the RCMP in Calgary. For the most part, though, I think cops are decent people doing an important job.

Vermachtnis
05-07-2008, 02:49 AM
I like the police. Good luck, the police take a lot of crap for nothing. Most of which they don't deserve, there are alot more nice, good cops then curropt cops as far as I know.

Miriel
05-07-2008, 04:15 AM
I live in LA. How do you think I feel about the police? I've PERSONALLY known people have been brutalized by the police. LA is the home of so many police scandals, police brutality, corruption, racism, etc. Occasionally I'll hear through the gossip vine that so-and-so, a major asshole and bully in High School has joined the police department. It's been my personal observation that a certain type of people get drawn to that line of work. And while there may be lots of really decent men and women who get into that line of work to protect and to serve, there are also lots of douchebags who get drawn to having power and getting to exercise that power over other people.

I have met and interacted with really decent men and women on the police force. But doing that sort of job in such an urban environment... I think a person would have to fight REALLY hard to keep from developing certain ideas about things.

Bahamut2000X
05-07-2008, 04:30 AM
It depends, I've known bad cops and good cops. I even have a friend who's a cop.

If it's Westerville cops though, then it's a bad connotation. It's not so much that they are bad at what they do, or they are assholes as I have never personally interacted with any nor have I heard much bad about their personality, it's just that their....well....bored. Westerville is a quiet town so they work to keep from being bored. They will call half the department for a single car getting pulled over....I'm not even joking. One night they pulled over a car in front of my house, and had 4 squad cars parked in the neighborhood, all so they could handle a simple traffic violation.

But other cops are fine.

Namelessfengir
05-07-2008, 04:48 AM
my parents and brother know all the cops cuz all the cops went to school with my brother. i have no dealings with them so i got no problems with the locals.

my problem is with the cops who shot a guy for eating a pare (they said it looked like a grenade) or shoot someone 40 times for waking up (california cops....)

Citizen Bleys
05-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I live in LA. How do you think I feel about the police? I've PERSONALLY known people have been brutalized by the police. LA is the home of so many police scandals, police brutality, corruption, racism, etc. Occasionally I'll hear through the gossip vine that so-and-so, a major asshole and bully in High School has joined the police department. It's been my personal observation that a certain type of people get drawn to that line of work. And while there may be lots of really decent men and women who get into that line of work to protect and to serve, there are also lots of douchebags who get drawn to having power and getting to exercise that power over other people.

I have met and interacted with really decent men and women on the police force. But doing that sort of job in such an urban environment... I think a person would have to fight REALLY hard to keep from developing certain ideas about things.

That kind of junk doesn't happen in Canada. We have accountability.

Still doesn't stop the Moncton cops from being lazy arseholes, though.

Old Manus
05-07-2008, 09:30 AM
The exact opposite happens in the UK, where police officers never even leave the station because they might get cramp while driving the squad car.

agrudis
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
I hate the police... a couple times in the past when I've been robbed or attacked or something, the police didn't help at all and just made things more complicated or awkward than they needed to be. If I ever think I need to go to the police again, I'll think twice.

Cz
05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Good for you, Araciel. You smite them ne'er-do-wells like they never bin smote! :cool:

The Police in my part of London have a tough job, what with the gang activity and the drug trade and all. I think they're doing the best they can in a war they haven't got the resources to win. On the few occasions family or friends have dealt with them, they've been both diligent and courteous, even thought they probably had bigger problems to deal with. Obviously this can't be true of all police officers, but I think it reflects well on the force as a whole that officers in one of the more dangerous areas of the capital are doing such a good job.

Madame Adequate
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
The exact opposite happens in the UK, where police officers never even leave the station because they might get cramp while driving the squad car.

But then they're at risk of developing cramp from all the paperwork in the station!

escobert
05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't mind them when they don't fuck with me for no reason :p
I always expect them too however.

Peegee
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
I've heard stories of how corrupt the police are in Toronto. They also don't interact with me except to harass me for looking like a hoodlum.

Also 9/10 I expect that if something were to happen that actually required me to dial 9-11, I would've attempted to action it long before a cop came.

Balzac
05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
My cousin is a cop, he pulls us over everytime he see's us drive by. Usually for the lulz because my friend is so paranoid about being pulled over.

But I have nothing against the police, they are there for a reason and if you happen to be caught doing something stupid it's your own fault.

Akaria
05-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Personally, the run-ins I've had with the cops haven't been bad, not back home, anyway. Me and the guy that would drive to my college 1 1/2 hours then back with me 1 1/2 hours (really nice dude:)) got pulled over twice on the way to my college. One was for speeding, the other because one of his back lights was out. Both of the cops were really nice, and they're from an already large and growing suburb of Minneapolis. The cops at my college, however, do nothing. Oh, they pull you over if you're speeding or driving drunk, but if they get a call about domestic abuse or something, they come to you just to say they're not gonna do anything. This happened to me, as well as two of my other friends who got assaulted and abused at a party.

The only thing that worries me is all those stories in the past six months about the cops that go around tasering people for the tiniest thing, if anything. Ara, if you get a taser, I will never, ever visit you:p You'll make a great mountie though!!

smittenkitten
05-07-2008, 08:16 PM
The Police, I've never been in any bother with them. :D... :shifty:

Shiny
05-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I dislike the police and their corrupt, despotic ways.

Aerith's Knight
05-07-2008, 08:33 PM
There is no way the cops in the netherlands could have too much power.. simply because they have none.. couple years ago a guy came at a cop with a knive, the cop stumbled back and shot him, he died and got sued for killing the guy..

Quindiana Jones
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
The Police make mistakes. Bummer.

I am very glad they are around, and think they do a fantastic job, regardless of the bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:ting done by newspapers, and the fact that they do occasionally cock up.

Heath
05-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I had frequent run ins with the police when I was younger. I was even in a police car on my fifth birthday. Granted, my father was a police officer at the time, brought me Sonic 3 for my birthday and put the siren and lights on for me because I used to really like them.

As a result of my dad being with Merseyside Police for quite some time, I've got a generally good view of the police. I think they do an important job and certainly one of the toughest around. I admire them and think they do a good job when they work in the constraints of the law.

Gogo
05-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm in two minds about law enforcement generally. The part of me that has never done hardly anything wrong generally sees them as a necessary force in society; the clever part of me sees them generally as a bunch of men [and so few women] that don't have the ideals of the community at heart; and the part of me that is habitually scurrying and hiding realizes that despite not having done anything wrong, the very way I act sometimes draws negative attention to me.

Tallulah
05-07-2008, 11:37 PM
I have very little respect for the police. They tend to get bogged down with crap that doesn't matter. I especially dislike the Community Support Officers, or 'plastic policemen', as my nan calls them. A few of them act all high and mighty, but they have no effective powers, such as the power of arrest (they can hold you for up to thirty minutes, and that's it) :mad:

I'm sure you'll be different, though, Araciel. :)

DMKA
05-08-2008, 02:03 AM
The Police make mistakes. Bummer.

I am very glad they are around, and think they do a fantastic job, regardless of the bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:ting done by newspapers, and the fact that they do occasionally cock up.

I'd hardly call a significant percentage of what cops have done throughout history, and to members of my family "cock ups". There's a difference between screwing up and intentionally abusing your position.

But I won't say any more than that. I'm trying to be nice.

Old Manus
05-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Police brutality is more of an American phenomenon

Blue Harvest
05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Closest run-in I've ever had with the police was when I had a party and the neighbours complained about the noise. By the time they came everyone had gone anyway :tongue:

Citizen Bleys
05-09-2008, 02:16 AM
The only way the cops would ever investigate a noise complaint in Moncton is if it happened in a place which Americans call the "police station" but here in Canada is known as "Tim Horton's"

EDIT: Yes, the cops here know that "cops in a donut shop" is a stereotype, they just don't care.

Agrias
05-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I saw the HOTTEST cop yesterday when i was at superstore!! SRS HOT! AND HE LOOKED AT ME!!! -nosebleedfaint-