PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Children?

ShunNakamura
05-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Lots of siblings for them (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080509/ap_on_re_us/18_kids;_ylt=Aj50yBlKMfLuB4U.PqZWtO4DW7oF)

Alright, I am most definitely not one of those "You should only have x amount of children" type deal. I do believe that should be up to the individual.

However, even I apparently have my limits(judging from my WTFHIWWTP reaction from this article).

Meet the happy siblings and their mother and father.
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080509/capt.c99a3bf2ec3e4b3d8c1d2a0bfb781da1.18_kids_arbh102.jpg?x=400&y=276&sig=JZAM_Ov8jYTXvucbrsPFeg--

Ouch!
05-10-2008, 09:48 AM
The fact that their names all start with J is sickening. D=

Blue Harvest
05-10-2008, 10:02 AM
I like cake.

Serious reply: 18? WTF mate? It's nobody's place to say how many kids a couple can have, but any more and they'll have to buy a farm for them to run around on. That's if they already haven't. I didn't read the whole article.

blackmage_nuke
05-10-2008, 10:04 AM

And they already go to "Joy-anna" and "Jinger" without having even used Jane or Julie yet.

I think it should be up to them when theres too many.

But hey the more children you have the more kidney donors you can fall back on

Relapse
05-10-2008, 10:37 AM
wow 18 and wanting more. that is some... uh... big family.

weird names for some of them.

and how do they remember ALL their names? that must be hard.

and just imagine, if all of them are successful in life, what kind of fucking crapload of money will the parents get from their children?! O.o

Bahamut2000X
05-10-2008, 10:40 AM
That picture alone made me almost puke. It's one thing to adopt a lot, but to actually poop out that many buggers is insane. They must have a lot of money or be one crappy poor family. Regardless I get a strange spider sense telling me half their income is off publicity which alone makes me shake my head. *shakes head*

NeoCracker
05-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Why yes, I do think we should systematically destroy 40% of children beneath the age of 5 and then turn and eliminate all people who desire to have more then 3 children.

...Why do I get the feeling that wasn't the question?

Polaris
05-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Oh well it's a bit too much but if they're happy! I just have no idea how the hell they have money to feed them all! But some seem old enough to work :bigsmile: 18... Jesus... and I thought 4 was already too much :exdee:

Deborah
05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
I wonder how people can afford so many children!!! Maybe it would be fun to be apart of the big of a family though?

Rye
05-10-2008, 12:38 PM
That's horrifying.

I could never have more than 2 kids. As it stands, I think I'd only want one. From my personal experience, having a sibling close to my age didn't really offer me companionship and a friend. Granted, he had speech problems and everyone thought he was mildly autistic at that age, so he wasn't like a normal sibling. He still really isn't, so I do feel in a way, like an only child.

I think part of the reason for that is I have this really tiny nagging fear in the back of my brain about if I have more than one kid, one of them is going to end up with a problem, because that seems to be the trend in my family (even outside of me and my brother, my cousins and such as well). The first kid is normal (if you can even call me normal), and the second one has a problem, and that scares me. So I don't want to tempt that fate. Yeah, I'm the worst person ever.

KoShiatar
05-10-2008, 12:43 PM
I saw their website, their house is enormous. They don't look poor at all. I too think they have some kind of income from publicity, otherwise they couldn't afford all that, I think.
As for the number of children, well, as long as they love each other it's OK, I guess. It looks like they can sure afford it.

Cz
05-10-2008, 01:14 PM
As long as you can support them and give them the affection and attention they require, there's no reason why a couple shouldn't be able to have as many children as they please. Somehow I doubt that you can manage that with eighteen kids, though. I'm sure these children have good lives, but it's impossible to divide your time between eighteen siblings and not have some of them lose out.

Peegee
05-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I joke about how I was raised to be a slave / pack mule for my parents, but this is ridiculous. Unless the parents are super rich, and I seriously doubt it, the resources will be split too thin for my belief of the tendency of children to 'outdo' their parents, financially.

ShunNakamura
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Well for all of us that voted for cake. Would you still vote for cake if you had to share the cake with the Duggar family?

Sharing is something I am not good at :( MY FOOD, MINE.

Oh, and what do ya'll think of their faq page (http://www.duggarfamily.com/faq.html)? The site doesn't work well for me, but I did get to read this.

Oh and their is a online vote for what the 18th Duggar should be named :/. For those interested go here (http://health.discovery.com/convergence/duggars/baby-name-poll.html)

Really I would never put up an INTERNET poll on my child's name. That is like ... I dunno giving your new born baby to a mob of oddly shaped demented hunchbacks or something.

This is just wow.... I mean with 20 people in the family they just about have enough people to set up their own football game(11 on each team, and a ref... they only need 3 more! 2 more if you don't need a ref!).

Araciel
05-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Who cares if they can support them...shouldn't they adopt if they are rich and want that many?!

Goddamn population growth...

~*~Celes~*~
05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I have 3 brothers and 2 sisters, and as it stands, that's ALL I could stand.

Having 17 siblings...that would kill me.

:(

Only 4 at the most for me!...Just think about how...err...loose that poor lady must be...is sex even enjoyable after a certain point of looseness? :o

Randgris
05-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Maybe they should adopt me XP

I think the ideal number of children should be three or two. But that's for the parents to decide. I can't really comment. Our family is quite large.

I have 5 siblings.

My mom has 7* siblings

*Originally 8 but their youngest died at a young age. I've never met her nor asked for her.

EDIT: Oops I mistakenly quoted Oddler for Ouch!

Dreddz
05-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I dont understand how someone could finance eighteen children but I see nothing wrong in having alot of children. I dont get some of the comments here saying its sickening, its not like there a family of inbreds.

I think two or three children is enough. Twos company, threes a crowd and four is too much. I dont plan to have children but if I ended up having one I'd have to have another as lonely children always turn out weird.

Roto13
05-10-2008, 04:11 PM
There's no way you can give 18 kids the attention they need. It'd be like living in a classroom or something.

Ugh. Yes.

Breine
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM

.. and limiting.

Also, 18 is way over the top. They should really start using condoms already.

KentaRawr!
05-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't like how they seem to make a story out of their children and how many they have. What are they, entertainment?

Blech.

Ah, well. At least they fill up that big house.

rubah
05-10-2008, 07:12 PM
tontitown is near where I go to school 8)

and I think I heard about them a long time ago, the name/location is familiar. Probably for having so many kids.

I don't think I would want 18 kids, but it's kinda like having a bunch of cats. if you take care of them, then cool. If not, then there's people that get involved.

smittenkitten
05-10-2008, 07:24 PM
I thought my family was big! :eek: There's seven in my family and that is not including the Aunties and Uncles and so on. :)

Vermachtnis
05-10-2008, 07:31 PM
She's gonna be getting so much stuff tomorrow!

Aerith's Knight
05-10-2008, 07:37 PM
17 is a lot, but if you can support it, and give everyone enough love.. its ok.

scrumpleberry
05-10-2008, 09:26 PM

.. and limiting.

Overpopulation for the fail.

Duggar Family :: Discovery Health (http://health.discovery.com/convergence/duggars/duggargame.html)

^ this, this, this scares me. "NO TATER TOT CASSEROLE FOR YOU :bigsmile:" AAAAARGHgvgkdfbgljg.hyj... *shudder*

Actually made me shudder.

Crappy choices for some of the J names as well. But I so want the next baby to be called Jewel xD

Fonzie
05-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Having relations with that lady must be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-11-2008, 07:19 AM
I'd rather die than be forced to raise that many children. That would be complete torture. Two is what I'd like. Anyway, my comments on overpopulation can be found on the EOEO thread.

Yar
05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
1 is too many...

duckie
05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
I think that if you want a lot of kids, then adopt. There are a lot of kids in the world who need parents.

But...does anyone really need all those kids?

Ouch!
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM

.. and limiting.

Given how religious their comments were, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they have 18 children is because they believe it's immoral to use birth control but still want to smurf like bunnies anyway.

Bunny
05-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Someone needs to tell them that the vagina is not a clown car.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
05-12-2008, 01:40 AM
I have no idea how they do it.
I have 9 kids in my family so I only want 3 kids the most, maybe 2 because I know what it's likkkkke.

Rye
05-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Someone needs to tell them that the vagina is not a clown car.

Oh, Bun Bun. xDDD <3

Yar
05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Do you think the dad was high-fiving his oldest sons during the intercourse?

Ashi
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM
If people can have that many children, and are able to support them all fairly and enable them to get a decent education etc etc then it's up to them.

Personally, if I ever start my own family I don't know if I want a lot of kids. Up until recently, I was completely against the idea of children but I guess as one grows older things change. Although I only plan to have a couple, because I want each to have their own room, go to good schools, go to sports clubs or art centres and have hobbies/friends outside of school.

I also think it's important that young children get undivided attention from parents when they're very young so I would want there to be a gap several years at least between each child (if we end up having more than one).