PDA

View Full Version : S. Darko (Sequel to Donnie Darko)

DMKA
05-10-2008, 10:58 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/44/S._Darko.jpg

Daviegh Chase reprises her role as Donnie's younger sister. The cast for S. Darko also includes Ed Westwick (Son Of Rambow, Gossip Girl), Briana Evigan (Step Up 2) and Justin Chatwin (Dragon Ball).

Ash Shah's Silver Nitrate and Newmarket Capital are producing. Los Angeles-based Chris Fisher, who previously made Nightstalker and Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders, will direct. The budget is pegged around $10m.

The story picks up seven years after the first film (and Donnie's death) when little sister Samantha Darko and her best friend Corey are now 18 and on a roadtrip to Los Angeles when they are plagued by bizarre visions.

Fisher said in a statement: "I am a great admirer of Richard Kelly's film and hope to create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality."

Producers have spoken to Richard Kelly about the project but he is not involved in any official capacity at this stage.

Simon Crowe of Velvet Octopus added: "I think there is a new generation of cinema-goers who will be very excited to see this film."

Crowe quipped to ScreenDaily: "Donnie's not in [the new film] but there are meteorites and rabbits."

The project starts shooting May 18.

Linky (http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyArticle.aspx?intStoryID=38664&Category=)

I'm a bit confused...what is there left to make a sequel out of?

Cookie
05-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh dear me. This looked like a joke but it's on wikipedia as well. This is going to kill my love for the original, I can tell. ):

Roto13
05-10-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm usually not this pessimistic about these things this early on, but this is going to suck serious amounts of ass. Donnie Darko is a complete story and doesn't need a sequel. I mean, the plot outline there sounds like a slasher movie or something.

Psychotic
05-10-2008, 11:31 PM
I liked the bit of the story of Donnie Darko that you had to look up on random viral internet sites which explained it all, with the paradox needing to be fixed and all this wacky stuff about manipulated dead, so if that's re-used I won't mind it so much.

But eh, you could just create new characters with the same laws and rules and stuff applying to them and it would still be decent, without slapping the Darko name and rabbit imagery all over it.

Cz
05-10-2008, 11:48 PM
This won't necessarily suck, but all the signs are there. I'll be watching the progress of this movie nervously.

Levian
05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh dear me. This looked like a joke but it's on wikipedia as well. This is going to kill my love for the original, I can tell. ):

Solution: Don't watch it. :p Nobody is holding you at gunpoint.

Caraliz
05-11-2008, 12:15 AM
looks gay. i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. i didn't really like donnie darko to begin with.

El Bandito
05-11-2008, 12:16 AM
Changing directors/writers for a sequel rarely works out, so I'm really skeptical, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I see a trailer or at least production notes.

Bunny
05-11-2008, 04:06 AM
The first one was terrible. I am around 86.753% sure this one will be just as bad, if not worse.

Rase
05-11-2008, 04:27 AM
This won't necessarily suck, but all the signs are there. I'll be watching the progress of this movie nervously.

Dolentrean
05-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh, Did I mention this is most certainly not awesome?

Breine
05-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm usually not this pessimistic about these things this early on, but this is going to suck serious amounts of ass. Donnie Darko is a complete story and doesn't need a sequel. I mean, the plot outline there sounds like a slasher movie or something.

I totally agree.

Stop making all those bad B-movie sequels already!

Quindiana Jones
05-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Y'all are crazy! It's gonna rock! There's meteorites and rabbits!

In the same film!

Raebus
05-11-2008, 11:51 AM
I liked Donnie Darko but I have a feeling this film is going to suck. The rabbit was there for a reason in the first film, it sounds like they're just going to randomly throw it in for no reason at all.

I Took the Red Pill
05-11-2008, 05:38 PM
The only thing worthwhile about the first one was the soundtrack. Thusly I am not likely to see this.

Heath
05-11-2008, 06:55 PM
The first film was pretty good, but certainly a film I never expected a sequel from. I'm unsure whether I'll watch this or not, but I'd be willing to check it out for the sake of it. Until more information comes out, I don't think I could really say whether or not it'll be a good film.

Dreddz
05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
I loved Donnie Darko and will see this just to see how they could make a sequel out of it. Im a little wary though considering the director has only directed direct to dvd movies and episodes for television shows.

Nominus Experse
05-13-2008, 02:09 AM
Uh, wait... wat?

Bashini
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm really skeptical about this. I really enjoyed Donnie Darko. I thought the storytelling was pretty inventive for film, but a sequel??

The Shoeless Hobo
05-22-2008, 04:03 AM
I hate it already.

Shoeberto
05-22-2008, 04:21 AM
I heard it rumored in a Digg article the other day but I didn't realize it was real.

I see nothing but bad coming from this. Hell, the fact that Donnie Darko actually worked was a complete fluke as a result of studio edits. Ever watch the Director's Cut?

Bashini
05-23-2008, 07:12 AM
I heard it rumored in a Digg article the other day but I didn't realize it was real.

I see nothing but bad coming from this. Hell, the fact that Donnie Darko actually worked was a complete fluke as a result of studio edits. Ever watch the Director's Cut?

I would have to agree with you here. The Director's Cut left too many questions at the end of the film. I think the author was trying to cram too many ideas into the scope of the film. So maybe a re-make of the original, but not a sequel.

Proxy
05-26-2008, 07:45 AM

sketchy to say the least...hard to make a sequel. considering how the first ended. I'll wait til it comes out to dvd unless it looks very enticing for a theater go-about.

Peegee
05-27-2008, 01:10 AM
The wikipedia article already proves the movie will fail. Oh, why must you wreck cult classics?