PDA

View Full Version : Firewalls, virus protection, etc.

Roto13
05-11-2008, 05:27 AM
My 90 free days of Norton are about to expire. I need a new firewall and new virus protection. Are Zone Alarm and AVG still acceptable these days? I haven't bothered with this kind of thing in a while. :P

Rostum
05-11-2008, 05:39 AM
Eh, I use the home edition of Avast! and Ad-Aware and a few other things, but those mainly. They are decent enough and don't create as many problems as Norton or McAffee do. :p

o_O
05-11-2008, 07:20 AM
I'll always maintain that antiviruses and firewalls are unnecessary evils if you're careful and sensible about what you run. I don't use any and I've never had a virus on my machines. :p

Nonetheless, AVG and ZoneAlarm are still highly regarded. I've heard bad things about AVG 8 though, but I can't substantiate that at all. :p

crono_logical
05-11-2008, 09:37 AM
AVG is fine as far as I know (though I don't bother on all my computers :D), but I personally stay away from ZoneAlarm since I've seen it use 100% CPU for ages on end before which is not nice :p Avoid Norton, it likes to hose your CPU too, and avoid McAfee since that one hoses your RAM :D

If you're behind a router and not modem where your computer's IP address is 192.168.xxx.xxx when you double-click your network icon in the tooltray and look on the details tab, you should be fine without a firewall too unless you want excessive control on the machine :p Besides, I find the in-built Windows firewall acceptable for average users anyway if you choose to enable it :p

Citizen Bleys
05-11-2008, 09:41 AM
ZoneAlarm likes to deny svchost.dll access to the internet, meaning that pretty much everything but ping gets hosed. Don't use a software firewall, use a router, like cl_out said.

AVG and Avast! get the thumbs-up from me as well.

Or better yet, use Linux, unless you have PC games (i.e. FFXI) that need Windows.

Roto13
05-11-2008, 06:56 PM
I'll always maintain that antiviruses and firewalls are unnecessary evils if you're careful and sensible about what you run. I don't use any and I've never had a virus on my machines. :p
I'm sensible. :P But yeah, better safe than sorry for me.

Avoid Norton, it likes to hose your CPU too,
My warranty actually won't cover me unless I keep Norton on my computer. xD I'm going to disable it, though.

If you're behind a router and not modem where your computer's IP address is 192.168.xxx.xxx when you double-click your network icon in the tooltray and look on the details tab, you should be fine without a firewall too unless you want excessive control on the machine :p Besides, I find the in-built Windows firewall acceptable for average users anyway if you choose to enable it :p
I guess I just won't worry about it, then. I am behind a router.

Or better yet, use Linux, unless you have PC games (i.e. FFXI) that need Windows.
Too much effort. xD

Gogo
05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
SpyWare Doctor, XSoftSpy. But these aren't freeware

I agree with 0_o, Iv'e never gotten a virus, ever, the only risk I can think of is Malware being secretly installed on your machine and causing trouble, but anything else almost seems like you have to get it deliberately.

BTW, Malware will give you MAJOR BUTTHURT

Aerith's Knight
05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
I always use Kaspersky Internet security. It'll eat up 100 mb of internal memory at times, but it works perfectly.

Big D
05-12-2008, 02:10 AM
I use AVG and ZoneAlarm. I don't mind having a slightly slower system if it means a better chance of avoiding problems I have little hope of solving on my own :p

The router alone is probably sufficient protection, but I'm reluctant to take chances.

Namelessfengir
05-12-2008, 04:15 AM
im running comodo firewall avast virus and adaware

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-12-2008, 05:32 AM
ZoneAlarm annoys me, I use Comodo which still annoys me but less than ZoneAlarm. AVG for Anti-virus. Never had much problem with either.

Roto13
05-12-2008, 05:39 AM
I downloaded AVG. I guess that's probably enough. :P Awesome.

o_O
05-12-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd say a firewall is far more necessary than an antivirus, and of firewalls, a hardware one doesn't pop up annoying things on your screen. :p

Big D
05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Still, I only have a laptop - so by keeping ZoneAlarm running, there's less chance of me forgetting to take precautions if I go someplace and connect to the internet without going via a router.