PDA

View Full Version : Saner does Wat now?

Captain Maxx Power
05-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I seriously hate older games for not telling me what the hell all these abilities and spells I have do. It makes battling an exercise in experimentation, I can never remember what spells do what after I've used them (or figure it out from the shorthand descriptions) and just end up only using a handful of spells because of this limitation. I also hate not being able to compare stats of stuff from shops, meaning I end up buying things without knowing whether or not it's a waste of my time.

What gaming conventions do you thank goodness have since been added since the archaic times of pre-3Ds? Also bonus points to anyone who knows which RPG I reference in the topic title.

Big D
05-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm having similar trouble to you... I got the Sega Mega Drive (aka Genesis) collection for PS2, and I'm keen to get stuck into the Phantasy Star series. But the bloody thing only provides the most rudimentary of instructions, so I don't have the foggiest clue what the battle controls, items, or spells are supposed to do. Hence much giving up in frustrated disgust.

It's a tremendous help to have even a brief reminder of what an action or item does, before putting it into use. The Final Fantasy games would've been a real pain in the arse without that.

Captain Maxx Power
05-11-2008, 12:51 PM
It's a tremendous help to have even a brief reminder of what an action or item does, before putting it into use. The Final Fantasy games would've been a real pain in the arse without that.

As it happens tool-tip info on spells and such didn't come into the series on the whole until FF6. Before then you were just as in the dark as PS, although to be fair the spells and items in FF1-5 were somewhat easier to decipher. PS4 (which is what I'm playing now) at the very least lets you know what items your characters can equip at shops, though it doesn't say if it's an improvement. I really honestly think games like PS2 would be VASTLY improved if they had just these little add-ons to make life easier.

Big D
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
As it happens tool-tip info on spells and such didn't come into the series on the whole until FF6. Indeed... I guess I forgot about that, due to starting the series at number 7 and playing the earlier games a few years later. There's something to be said for a battle system that remains consistent enough for you to backtrack and still know what's going on.

Markus. D
05-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh gosh, I'd be at a huge loss if Guild Wars had sub-par skill descriptions (So many to begin with... alot of which have names not very exact to the often complicated function anyways).

I'm glad they already have alright descriptions (and now Optional Concise descriptions).

Karellen
05-11-2008, 02:59 PM
The first two Shin Megami Tensei games were pretty terrible when it came to working out what spells/items did. Not only are there no descriptions, everything is given obscure names like Tarukaja (raise attack power) and Mudo (death spell). The funny part was the way SMT II decided to 'fix' this: by having a item identifier who you have to pay if you want to know what an item does. Thankfully, this is one of many 'quirks' that did not make it's way into Nocturne.

oddler
05-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Seriously, Phantasy Star II would be almost smurfing impossible unless you know that you can use items as spells in battle and unless you know what spell has what effect. Seriously, seriously, seriously. Deban for the win.

Big D
05-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Seriously, Phantasy Star II would be almost smurfing impossible unless you know that you can use items as spells in battle and unless you know what spell has what effect. Seriously, seriously, seriously. Deban for the win.I've been looking for a detailed but concise instruction manual online, but couldn't find one. As soon as I can get something, though, I'll finally be able to get into the game.

Vermachtnis
05-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Phantasy Star 2 needs a mini map or a just a map or someway to know if the teleporter thingie you took, took you up or down. Then an item/spell identifier. It's really trial and error with spells though.

Captain Maxx Power
05-12-2008, 09:53 AM
I've been looking for a detailed but concise instruction manual online, but couldn't find one. As soon as I can get something, though, I'll finally be able to get into the game.

GOE! (http://www.phantasy-star.net/psii/psii.html)

Big D
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
GOE! (http://www.phantasy-star.net/psii/psii.html)zomg!!! Many thanks, that's gonna be so helpful.

oddler
05-13-2008, 04:36 AM
Gorgeous games like these used to come with full walkthroughs and guides included when you bought them. :choc2:

For good reason, I guess.

KentaRawr!
05-13-2008, 04:45 AM
When we're all old, the young'uns will complain about how Video Games back then (then being now) didn't include reading lessons, or accent comprehension guides.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
The Captain stated my two complaints and Karellen mentioned some examples I would have given. Metal Gear is another example as the game requires you to have the manual so you can get the radio numbers for characters. It was a real pain in the ass in Subsistence since they failed miserably to supply you with one...:mad2:

I'm also forever grateful to be done with passwords when needing to save. Anyone else remember having to jot down indecipherable 30 letter/number monstrosities cause you made it past a level or obtained a simple item and didn't want to take a chance?

Ashi
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh my God, yeah I remember the passwords. I'm glad they're gone!

The Unknown Guru
05-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm also forever grateful to be done with passwords when needing to save. Anyone else remember having to jot down indecipherable 30 letter/number monstrosities cause you made it past a level or obtained a simple item and didn't want to take a chance?

Ugh. Mega Man X was my main offender. I got 7/8ths of the way through the game, then lost my little sheet of scratch paper with my file on it.

Roogle
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM
If I recall correctly, Saner increases the Agility of all party members; Wat is a low level water technique.

Roxxas
05-16-2008, 05:57 AM
I was playing an RPG once that was so bad I can't even remember the name of it but I did remember one of the skills in it. It was at the very end of the skill tree and called omega ray so I thought woah that must be a good skill! Of course no description so when I got it I didn't know what to expect. Go into battle to use it and har har har all it does is shoot a big beam outta the sky that kills all your party members. My controller was very lucky to not be hurled across the room.

Captain Maxx Power
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
If I recall correctly, Saner increases the Agility of all party members; Wat is a low level water technique.

In what bloody logical world does Saner have anything to do with Agility? I can understand Wat being water to a point, though why the piss they couldn't have just called it Water or Tide or Flood or anything else apart from Wat, which made me think it was an electrical attack.

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Watt has 2 t's in it. :p

I find it odd that they'd call the spell Wat. Obviously they had a 5 letter limit, as seen with Saner. Why not add 2 letters to Wat and make it Water?

Elite Lord Sigma
05-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm glad that passwords are not something that anybody has to put up with nowadays. It negatively affects my blood pressure every time I have to redo something just because the game insist that you waste time writing down a stupid multiple-letter long code because the developers couldn't be bothered to include a proper save system. Also, they let you just throw yourself into the end of the game if you know which one to use, thus sucking all of the fun out of it.