PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Platinum revealed

Roto13
05-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Let me show you it. (http://www.thetanooki.com/2008/05/11/corocoro-magazine-reveals-pokemon-platinum/)

I'm probably going to pick this up because I want to restart Pearl but I seriously don't want to lose all of my rare monsters. xP

qwertysaur
05-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Knew this was coming. I want it.

Evastio
05-11-2008, 07:21 PM
I heard about this on Serebii.net.

I'm really looking forward to it. :D

I'm wondering what the differences are between Pearl/Diamond and Platinum though.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
o:

Roto13
05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I heard about this on Serebii.net.

I'm really looking forward to it. :D

I'm wondering what the differences are between Pearl/Diamond and Platinum though.

There are a few listed in my link.

* September release (in Japan?), Giratina on the box
* Volkner is no longer the Sunyshore City gym leader
* The Underground is now Wi-Fi enabled
* Battle Island revealed; same concept as Battle Frontier in Emerald
* No new Pokémon (obviously), but some new forms including Giratina’s Origin Form, Regigigas’ Sky Form, as well as Shaymin’s Another Form. The former two gain the “Levitate” ability, while Shaymin’s new form is part Ice-type.

I want the new Shaymin now. The original one is so cute. xD

qwertysaur
05-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I think they will make Volkner the champion, like they did with Wallece for Emerald.

I hope they make Shaymin not event only.

Roto13
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Who cares. With online trading these days, it's easy to get any Pokemon, even if you don't have a cheat device. I have all of the event only Pokemon from all of the games. :P

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I sincerely hope Nintendo eventually makes an iteration of this game that doesn't play almost exactly like the original + extra attacks + more Pokemon + slightly better graphics. I love the Pokemon concept a lot but even that doesn't excuse the fact that the general game design is lazy and dated to hell.

Blue Harvest
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Screw Platinum (although I need it because I broke Pearl ;_; ) I'm still waiting for remakes of Gold & Silver!

Bakamut
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Ooh, sounds nice. I don't think I'll get it though. I got my Pearl primarily for WiFi battling.

Momiji
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
WIN. <3

I think I will get this when it comes out. :D

Moon Rabbits
05-13-2008, 02:55 AM
I sincerely hope Nintendo eventually makes an iteration of this game that doesn't play almost exactly like the original + extra attacks + more Pokemon + slightly better graphics. I love the Pokemon concept a lot but even that doesn't excuse the fact that the general game design is lazy and dated to hell.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nintendo is obviously making money and has a ridiculous fanbase for Pokemon. Tampering with a franchise like Pokemon could either pay off huge or totally blow up in their faces. So they play it safe!

Look to indie games for innovation :greenie:

Roto13
05-13-2008, 03:12 AM
The Pokemon games are weird. Instead of being true sequels, it's more like each game is a piece of a bigger puzzle. Each one represents a different region of the world and they all fit together to make one really big and really engrossing world. It's like D/P doesn't really feel like it takes place after R/S/E. It's more like it exists for players to experience the Sinnoh region as opposed to the Hoenn region.

It's kind of neat that way. Like a mumorpuguh with it's expansion sets.

Momiji
05-13-2008, 03:35 AM
They should make the new game so you can go to every place- from Kanto to Johto to Hoenn to Sinnoh.

Now that would be awesome. ;)

KentaRawr!
05-13-2008, 03:46 AM

There's that other Pokemon game I forget the name of. It's different, and yet it keeps the element of capturing Pokemon, and "enlisting" them into your party.

Evastio
05-13-2008, 03:53 AM
There's that other Pokemon game I forget the name of. It's different, and yet it keeps the element of capturing Pokemon, and "enlisting" them into your party.
You mean Pokemon Crater?

They should make the new game so you can go to every place- from Kanto to Johto to Hoenn to Sinnoh.

Don't forget Orre (from Pokemon XD and Colosseum) and all of the Shadow Pokemon in it. Seeing Shadow Arceus would be so awesome. :D

I'm really wondering what they're going to do for the Pokemon movie with Arceus in it. It'll probably involve Cresselia, Heatran, the three pixie guys (Azlef, Mesprit, & Uxie), and Ash's dad.

It's kind of funny that Roto brought up Regigigas' sky form. The next movie is supposed to feature Shaymin, Regigigas, and Giratina and is called Giratina - Bouquet of the Sky or something according to Serebii.

Yar
05-13-2008, 04:46 AM
They still make Pokémon? I haven't touched one since Red/Blue...

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-13-2008, 07:28 AM

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Nintendo is obviously making money and has a ridiculous fanbase for Pokemon. Tampering with a franchise like Pokemon could either pay off huge or totally blow up in their faces. So they play it safe!

Look to indie games for innovation :greenie:

If innovation is for indie games only why the hell are we still buying games from big corporations. If they can't get their crap together and come out with something genuinely interesting why keep throwing money at them so they'll keep making mediocre and formulaic games?

There's sticking with a style and then there's just sheer bad game design. Do pokemon games absolutely require a rehash of the same asinine plot every iteration? Do they need to innundate you with slow-moving text while in battle? Instead of, for example, saying "rain continued to fall," couldn't they, you know, make it look like it's raining?

The game plays like an extraordinarily dated RPG. They've barely done anything to improve or streamline the process, and in most cases it feels like a chore. The story is boring, repetitive and cliche, and after that you're left with one of two things: leveling up your pokemon or catching them all. The second, I'll grant, can have a certain element of entertainment to it (like with legendaries, for example), but the first is as tedious as it is in any other RPG.

Pokemon is a stale and stodgy franchise. They've done little to improve on the formula, and the fact that they still make disturbing amounts of money off it simply encourages this behavior. Does nobody else see the problem with the fact that they can make mounds of cash off remaking a 90's RPG without any significant improvement not just once, but three times?

To paraphrase Yahtzee, Nintendo really is the only company we let get away with this crap (although in all honesty, there are a few others too. 'sup EA). It's not just pokemon either, but pokemon is perhaps one of the most atrocious offenders since at least most of the other franchises receive large graphical overhauls and even in some cases gameplay overhauls. Pokemon is just the same bland RPG remade countless times, which is a damn shame because there's so much potential in the concept.

Roto13
05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
I think the problem here is you expect Pokemon to be like Final Fantasy when that's not what it is. Pokemon is designed with competition in mind. It's almost like a fighting game that way. New games are added basically to expand the number of moves and monsters available. That's why they all interact like each other. If they made any radical changes to Tekken, you can be sure it would piss off Tekken tournament players. I do agree with you about the rain thing, though. That's stupid. I turn off battle animations when I'm in a rainy place.

As for the story, I'm going to say the same thing I say whenever anyone complains about the story in any other game. If you want a story, go read a book. Complaining about the story in a video game is like complaining about the story in Monopoly.

KentaRawr!
05-13-2008, 03:30 PM
But Pokemon is an RPG. If you're not into the competition side of things, there could at least be a nice story to help you go along.

Roto13
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
If you're not into the competition side of things, don't play it because it's not for you.

Karellen
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM
If you want a Pokemon-esk game with deep gameplay and a decent story, play SMT: Nocturne. Pokemon has only ever been a simplistic entry level game aimed at introducing children into the RPG genre (or at least Japan's gimped version of the RPG genre). It could probably use some streamlining (as noted, battles do tend to move along at a somewhat lethargic pace) but add too much depth and Nintendo runs the risk of alienating their target audience.

JKTrix
05-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Indeed. The Pokemon franchise is aimed at children. Besides whatever probable laziness there is in adding some story depth or whatever, it's kept simple for the kids an. Which kind of sucks for those of us who have grown up in the 10 years since the game started and come to expect more. Unlike some of Nintendo's other franchises which are 'kid-friendly' but palatable for more mature folks, the Pokemon folks don't seem to be concerned with broadening their target age. Some of us have just outgrown Pokemon.

My Pearl gamesave is still stuck on the doorstep of the Elite 4, because I really don't feel like going back and grinding to an appropriate level to take them on. I did enjoy it up until that point though, so I can't say I've completely graduated from Pokemon myself.

As for 'making something different', they do have some spin-off games. The downside to that is that they are still aimed at kids and probably won't attract any Pokemon Graduates.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
I think the problem here is you expect Pokemon to be like Final Fantasy when that's not what it is. Pokemon is designed with competition in mind. It's almost like a fighting game that way. New games are added basically to expand the number of moves and monsters available. That's why they all interact like each other. If they made any radical changes to Tekken, you can be sure it would piss off Tekken tournament players. I do agree with you about the rain thing, though. That's stupid. I turn off battle animations when I'm in a rainy place.

As for the story, I'm going to say the same thing I say whenever anyone complains about the story in any other game. If you want a story, go read a book. Complaining about the story in a video game is like complaining about the story in Monopoly.

The thing is I don't expect it to be like Final Fantasy. If a game has any kind of pretenses at a story, they can not repeat the same damn thing almost verbatim three times over. Mix it up a little.

Pokemon has this bizarre dichotomy, it's "for kids" and yet it has EV training, complex breeding systems, and all kinds of other things that are clearly designed for an older audience. So obviously there is some effort to target a wider range of people.

And the multiplayer thing is a bit weak of a defense. A lot of people who would or do want to play Pokemon don't have access to/don't care about multiplayer. The game is centrally based off a basic interaction with others in the need to find others who have the game as well and trade for the pokemon you want. Of course, I've been saying for years that pokemon should be an MMORPG where a) the inane "storyline" is gone, b) the huge world aspect that's always been an aspect of the anime is brought to the foreground and c) it's not a remake of the same game with minimal graphical improvement and a few extra gimmicks.

And as far as the Spin-Off games, I tend to find them uninteresting. The major aspect of the games, i.e. the ability to assemble a team of trained pokemon, to breed, and to collect is the aspect I find most appealing about it. The problem is they can't give you that without just rehashing the game again and again and again. I played R/B/Y, I don't need to play it three more times. At least G/S had the decency to let you go back to the original setting, which I thought was awesome and cannot believe they haven't done since.

Montoya
05-13-2008, 08:34 PM
I knew the third game in this generation was going to come out eventually so I got smart (yah?) and waited this time. I was always annoyed getting gold and ruby, then they come with the (somewhat) better Crystal and Emerald. So I skipped buying Pearl and Diamond, I'm getting Platinum for sure.

Roto13
05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
At least G/S had the decency to let you go back to the original setting, which I thought was awesome and cannot believe they haven't done since.

That was awesome. In D/P there's a part where it looks like it might be a hint that you can travel to Johto (G/S) but it never pans out. ;>_>

Evastio
05-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Well Roto, here's a picture of Shaymin's new form that I found on Serebii.net (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/Kyudi/NewShayminForm.png

According to Serebii this is Shaymin's sky form, not the ice form that was mentioned a while ago. Keep in mind they don't know for sure if this is the real deal or a hoax that someone made. I personally think the picture looks real enough except for the fact that Shaymin is a little too big compared to its original form.

Roto13
05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
My Little Pony just popped into my head. xP

Evastio
05-26-2008, 06:35 PM
It turns out that it was a fake made by some guy named PurpleKecleon. :(

Sorry Roto.

Evastio
06-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Timely Update.

I think I have the picture of Shaymin's new form this time. This time its new form looks enough like an ice type. This picture was taken from Serebii.net (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml) (the same site that gave us the fake Shaymin picture). The badges in the below picture are meant to promote the 11th Pokemon movie which could probably mean that this is the 5th generation Pokemon that's sneaking its way into the 4th Generation (like Marill in the 1st Generation, Wynaut in the 2nd Generation, and Munchlax in the 3rd Generation).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/Kyudi/PromotionalBadges.jpg

I like the regular Shaymin better. This (supposed) new one looks kind of evil and weird.