PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Again - Graphics card

Captain Maxx Power
05-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Well I may be having to develop using UT3 engine and my current graphics card sadly just won't cut it now. So I've decided to get myself a new one. Right now I'm using a X1950 Pro. I've got my eye on this card here. (http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4Z1Z&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=8800+GT+OC&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0) Of course I have budgetary constraints; I'd ideally want something under £150, but am prepared to go a little bit over if it's going to see a significant increase in, say, a card that's just under £150. Presently the rest of my system is a 2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 and 2Gb of DDR3 (I think :S ) RAM. Honestly can't remember what motherboard I have without taking my computer apart, but it does have PCI-E capabilities. :cool:

Thoughts?

o_O
05-12-2008, 12:23 PM
My thoughts are that that card is awesome. :p

Slothy
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
You know it's funny, but I actually got that exact card yesterday. It's one of the last parts I need to finish building my desktop, and I'd have to say go for it. Try shopping around for some good deals if you can, since you never know what you may find. I walked into the store planning on getting a 7950 (since I won't be using Vista I technically don't need anything higher), but they had this card marked down so much because the box was open when it arrived that it was cheaper than buying a 7600. I was rather pleased when I saw it to say the least.

Rostum
05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
I say go for it. If I were getting a new card I'd go for something like that -- plus, the Unreal 3 Editor (not sure if you're working with that, or just the engine) works absolutely fine with a 7800GS, so you can't go wrong with that card.

o_O
05-13-2008, 12:20 AM
I would also recommend my card - a 7950GT 512MB GDDR3, but they don't come cheap, and being less than GeForce8, they don't do DirectX10. That's why I'd recommend a GeForce8 over mine.