PDA

View Full Version : Viva La Vida!!

redxiiii
05-12-2008, 10:20 PM
...and death and all his friends.:) for those of you who don't understand what the hell am talking about....shame on you:eek: surely you all know of the new Coldplay album coming out!!

So has anyone heard the new single "Violet Hill" Coldplay set up a site were you could download it for free!! thats right free the other week, long story short its awesome,:D and i can't wait to get my hands on the album.
Any other Coldplay fans as excited as i am.

Breine
05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
To be honest I couldn't care less about Coldplay. I've never thought they were that interesting.. I do have some friends that really like them, though, and maybe they've made like one or two good songs, but that's it.

rubah
05-13-2008, 07:48 PM
rush of blood to the head is one of my favorite 'listen all the way through' cds xD

can you still download the song?

Polaris
05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
They are quite good :) Many people who listen Keane end up listening Coldplay! On Keane's DVD "Strangers" I think it's Tom or Tim mention that his mom was at the bar to record their performance and before they act, Coldplay did and she recorder their perfomance on Coldpay's! XD

They have nice cds and songs! I'm not a fan but I have a playlist just for them ^^

Calliope
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised with this album. I'm just going to pretend that X&Y never happened. I'll break the album down a bit later.

On a side note, Chris Martin is my preferred target of Liam Gallagher. That guy always makes me laugh.

Yar
08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
I like this album immensely, but I prefer "Rush of Blood to the Head." ;)

Cz
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm not a huge Coldplay fan, but I enjoyed their first two records, and while this isn't as good as either of them it's a pleasant listen nonetheless. I don't get either of the singles, but the first half of the record is consistently good, and Strawberry Swing is a very nice song. It's definitely an improvement on X&Y.

rubah
08-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I really dig violet hill

Bunny
08-03-2008, 07:47 PM
A lot of their songs sound the same. I haven't checked this one out because I was not impressed at all with their previous attempts. Rush of Blood was decent, but by no means an extraordinary cd.

Iceglow
08-03-2008, 08:17 PM
I'm an employee in a record store, on day of release I had to SUFFER the album on repeat from 12 noon - 9pm when I finished. I felt like committing suicide. I mean seriously 9 hours of that one CD going over and over, the funny thing was when they turned it off our fire alarms triggered causing mass evacuation of the building. We prayed the CD had melted down.

Here's my problem with Chris Martin and Coldplay...

Chris Martin is married to Gynneth Paltrow, (one of the most attractive women on earths surface if popularity contests are to be believed, she doesn't do it for me however) happily so might I add and even has kids by her. He's worth a damn fortune so what pray tell me does he have to be so whiney about? EVERY Coldplay song in existence has been whingy apathetic stuff, he doesn't even get angry about it. He can be signing about the stuff that makes every single person on the planets blood boil and he'd have this monotone (yes he is, he never sings in any other note, that means he's monotone and flat) apathetic voice about it. I just don't get it! Also every coldplay album sounds the same, exactly so in fact get 3 coldplay albums and play them all on shuffle and you'd never tell which album the tracks are from unless you're like a massive coldplay fan.

In all, I was predictably disappointed by this album. I knew it'd be just like everything he's ever released before but I had hope, I believed but I was let down.

Quindiana Jones
08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
The new album sucks, IMHO. I like a load of Coldplay tracks, but this album's pretty weak.

Calliope
08-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Chris Martin is married to Gynneth Paltrow, (one of the most attractive women on earths surface if popularity contests are to be believed, she doesn't do it for me however) happily so might I add and even has kids by her. He's worth a damn fortune so what pray tell me does he have to be so whiney about?

He's whining because his wife was a) engaged (?) to Brad Pitt, and b) just starred in a big fucking huge awesome movie opposite Robert Downey Jr :love: Howzat for fair trade?

Iceglow
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris Martin is married to Gynneth Paltrow, (one of the most attractive women on earths surface if popularity contests are to be believed, she doesn't do it for me however) happily so might I add and even has kids by her. He's worth a damn fortune so what pray tell me does he have to be so whiney about?

He's whining because his wife was a) engaged (?) to Brad Pitt, and b) just starred in a big smurfing huge awesome movie opposite Robert Downey Jr :love: Howzat for fair trade?

So say for example I was lucky enough to be dating Mila Kunis (http://correctopinion.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mila_kunis_l1.jpg) who is famous for her roles in That 70's show, Family Guy and a couple of movies. I would therefore have divine right to be singing apathetic whingy music because she stars in movies opposite Russell Brand a well known lothario? Or Because she's probably dated someone way better looking than me in her past? No, somehow I don't think you can get whingy about that it'd be like saying "Hey I love my wife/girlfriend but you know I can't trust her one bit in her job not to go off and screw around" I'm sure we have all at some point dated someone who has dated someone better looking than ourselves. It comes down to Chris Martin has nothing to whinge about really same as if I was in his or a similar position I'd have nothing to whinge about either.

Caraliz
08-04-2008, 11:00 AM

He's whining because his wife was a) engaged (?) to Brad Pitt, and b) just starred in a big smurfing huge awesome movie opposite Robert Downey Jr :love: Howzat for fair trade?

So say for example I was lucky enough to be dating Mila Kunis (http://correctopinion.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/mila_kunis_l1.jpg) who is famous for her roles in That 70's show, Family Guy and a couple of movies. I would therefore have divine right to be singing apathetic whingy music because she stars in movies opposite Russell Brand a well known lothario? Or Because she's probably dated someone way better looking than me in her past? No, somehow I don't think you can get whingy about that it'd be like saying "Hey I love my wife/girlfriend but you know I can't trust her one bit in her job not to go off and screw around" I'm sure we have all at some point dated someone who has dated someone better looking than ourselves. It comes down to Chris Martin has nothing to whinge about really same as if I was in his or a similar position I'd have nothing to whinge about either.
Uhh, so now you're telling people what they can and can't write about, how they can and can't sing, etc etc?

Just say you don't like it and be done with it. No one cares why you don't like it because the people that choose to like it won't listen to you anyway.

Different things inspire different people, could be about a different time, could be about anything.

Calliope
08-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I was only making an observation, as superficial as it was. Chris Martin doesn't look like the stereotypical kind of guy girls would be falling all over, so I'm pretty sure he's insecure, behind all o dem record sales. Wikipedia just told me that Gwen is depressed a lot though, and they seem to be relatively low-key, so there you go.

Upon further listening, VLV seems pretty worthy of the hype, though. It's been enough to get me to drag out my stereo for the first time in almost a year, and listen to something without using my computer. If someone ever wrote a song as awful as "fix you" about me, I would still punch them in the face. The tune is fine, but...ugh.

Really I'm just killing time until the new Travis album comes out. I'm so excited :D

rubah
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
X&Y had a lot of hopeful optimistic songs. A lot of them. I dont' think there were hardly any whiny songs on that album. And a lot of people didn't like it.

Ryth
08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Ugh, this album is pretty awful. Perfectly constructed pop with indie cover-up, poorly executed build-ups and unoriginal songs abound.

Iceglow
08-04-2008, 11:50 PM
All I was pointing out is that if any other non-famous guy was lucky enough to be married to a beautiful woman like Gynneth Paltrow and they whinged even for a second to a friend they'd be shouted down by every single person around them in an instant, why then is Chris Martin not told he's lucky he's got a wonderful woman and kids and a crapload of cash and to cheer the hell up? If I was him I'd be singing stuff like ABC by the Jackson 5 or I feel pretty because guess what, he's got reasons enough to be happy. Now according to you Caraliz a discussion about an artists work is not encouraged in the lounge. I'm open to discussion I welcome it. I thought the whole idea of a message board was to discuss things?

As for X&Y being full of hopeful and optimisitic songs Rubah, I don't know tbh I kinda heard the ones put out on radio every now and again having already long before it was released decided about not being a huge fan of Cold Play. At the time I was however open to being converted however I found his work samey and un-challenging of his capabilities as for it being hopeful and optimistic? Perhaps but in a way that doesn't seem like either it's like one of those hopeful and optimistic people who when push comes to shove just stands back and hopes for the change.

Caraliz
08-05-2008, 01:59 AM
All I was pointing out is that if any other non-famous guy was lucky enough to be married to a beautiful woman like Gynneth Paltrow and they whinged even for a second to a friend they'd be shouted down by every single person around them in an instant, why then is Chris Martin not told he's lucky he's got a wonderful woman and kids and a crapload of cash and to cheer the hell up? If I was him I'd be singing stuff like ABC by the Jackson 5 or I feel pretty because guess what, he's got reasons enough to be happy. Now according to you Caraliz a discussion about an artists work is not encouraged in the lounge. I'm open to discussion I welcome it. I thought the whole idea of a message board was to discuss things?

As for X&Y being full of hopeful and optimisitic songs Rubah, I don't know tbh I kinda heard the ones put out on radio every now and again having already long before it was released decided about not being a huge fan of Cold Play. At the time I was however open to being converted however I found his work samey and un-challenging of his capabilities as for it being hopeful and optimistic? Perhaps but in a way that doesn't seem like either it's like one of those hopeful and optimistic people who when push comes to shove just stands back and hopes for the change.
Iceglow, you didn't discuss his work very much if at all. All you said was that he "shouldn't" be writing songs about this or that because he has a "hot" wife. You seriously have issues if you think having a "hot" wife makes everything all better and will make you want to write about the alphabet. I'll give you that you discussed the lyrics, but there is so much more to this album than lyrics. It's stupid to expect an artist to write about what you think he should be writing about.

For example, if I was married to Gwenyth Paltrow, I'd probably be singing gangsta rap songs because I seriously dislike her.

redxiiii
08-05-2008, 11:36 AM

Ok i will admit now that i am a massive Coldplay fan, and i started this thread so bear in mind am gonna find it hard not to be biased, but jus because Chris Martin has a seemingly good life i.e Hot wife(if u say so) kids and money he doesn't have the right to feel sad sometimes, you don't know whats going on in their relationship or in his life, so don't just assume that he's incredibly happy and walks around with a smile on his face the Joker would kill for. But in interviews and performances i have seen that he appears quite happy so maybe he just enjoys making this style of music, i enjoy listening to it and find the majority of the songs uplifting rather than depressing like most sceptics. Oh and i love the new album, apart from "42" which did actually depress me a little lol

Sergeant Hartman
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Decent album, but not their best.

escobert
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I wasn't a big fan of the video and the song is mediocre to their other stuff imo. But that ipod song I think it was atelast xD that ones ace.

Miriel
08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm not really sure why you would base your opinion on songs by your perceived idea of how happy/unhappy the singer of those songs is.

I agree with Carliz. A "hot" wife isn't everything. And there's no rule that says that just because you're super happy, that you can't write and sing songs about sadness or loss.

Plus, Gwyneth Paltrow seems like an ice cold bitch. :greenie:

I liked the first two singles they put out from the CD, but they got played so much that I'm kinda sick of them now. Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire album yet.