PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day 1

Crossblades
05-13-2008, 06:59 PM
IGN: Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day 1 (http://stars.ign.com/articles/873/873301p1.html)

CimminyCricket
05-13-2008, 07:10 PM
I love when they do this.

NeoCracker
05-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I was fine until Selphie beat out Ultras.

I mean really, WTF? How can she beat out Ultros?

Gilgamesh had better come in the top 10 to make up for that atrocity.

Roogle
05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
I do not think that their explanation for Selphie Tilmitt was expansive enough to allow her to place at #23.

Slothy
05-13-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm just happy that if they had to have an FFVIII character in there they chose the best of the very few I enjoyed.

PeneloRatsbane
05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Selphie. Wakka? seem strange choices, as long as they don't beat out some greats i'll be ok with that.
Agreed that ultros should have beat Selphie tho.

i'm gunna do my own list (i'll do 15 cos 25's a bit much)

15: Irvine, just cos he doesn't get enough love and he was cute
14. Rikku, she bought some spice to X and i like the al bhed language
13. Gabranth, classic evil twin who isn't so bad but is kinda
12. Reeve, he was an interesting chap
11. Hojo, cos the man was crazy and was a third (maybe a bit more but i mean in genetic contribution) of the way responsible for Sephiroth
10. Rinoa, cos although she annoyed me she was pretty and i missed her when she was unconcious
9. Zidane, it was fun to be him
8. Lulu, sexy and smart and hid her baby weight well.
7. Tifa, She stood by Cloud when he was sick and shes just interesting
6. Celes Chere, not finished the game yet but she is compelling, all together now "Oh my hero...so far away now!"
5. Yuffie/Vincent (as they are secret they count as one), that lil scamp sure caused some trouble and all though she was a bit of a pain at first, she became the most valued member of my ffvii team and she really pulls my heart strings at the end of DoC when shes looking up at the sky with no grin, her face serious.
vincent: emo and a bit of a drag but he can do some sweet flips, he is beautiful, if in need of fashion advice. Heroic and troubled. the flip side to Yuffie (if they were a coin), and his sad story of love with that scientist freak Lucrecia was kinda sad. plus it was fun aquiring them both
3. Cloud. Because he's not perfect and hes flawed but he's still the hero. and he drove a bike down the stairs.
2. Fran/balthier (As they are a duo): They stole the show from the instant they burst on to the screen on their flying motorbike, and what exactly is going on with them? whatever it is they are one compelling set of pirates.
1. Contraversial im Sure but.... Aeris: The woman was funny, sweet and felt more alive than any other character i can remember. Desired By shinra, loved by her friends and Murdered by Sephiroth. I still shed a tear for her, the loss of Aeris was one imense moment, she was great.

Honourable mentions
best octopus: ultros, (sniff u aren't just an ugly octopus)
best villain: Sephiroth (blah(latin) blah(latin) blah(latin) SEPHIROTH!!)
Best Princess: Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca (she's as cold as ice, and a refreshing change of heroine)
Worst Character: Khimari
Best non-human character: Nanaki/Red XII

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Garland #25 and Cid Highwind #21!?! WTF?!:eek:

Can't say I care for the list already... I bet Cloud, Sephiroth, or Aerith will be #1 if not the top three :rolleyes2

Bahamut2000X
05-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Garland I was sad was so low on the list.

Ultros was a given.

Selphie? I like her design, but her personality is too odd and she did nothing for the game. Shouldn't have even made the list.

Cid Highwind. While a cool Cid, I still hold that IV's Cid or XII's Cid would have been much better on the list then him.

Wakka was a good choice though, and one of the few things I liked from X. That and he reminds me of Levian. :p

Roto13
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
One would expect the first Final Fantasy to feature voice acting would show more signs of teething troubles, but it still features one of the best dubs in gaming.

... What? The voice acting isn't terrible most of the time, but there are some incredibly awkward moments in it. >_>

They should have put all of the Cids in one entry and stuck it at number 1.

Crossblades
05-13-2008, 10:51 PM
i'm gunna do my own list (i'll do 15 cos 25's a bit much)

15: Irvine, just cos he doesn't get enough love and he was cute
14. Rikku, she bought some spice to X and i like the al bhed language
13. Gabranth, classic evil twin who isn't so bad but is kinda
12. Reeve, he was an interesting chap
11. Hojo, cos the man was crazy and was a third (maybe a bit more but i mean in genetic contribution) of the way responsible for Sephiroth
10. Rinoa, cos although she annoyed me she was pretty and i missed her when she was unconcious
9. Zidane, it was fun to be him
8. Lulu, sexy and smart and hid her baby weight well.
7. Tifa, She stood by Cloud when he was sick and shes just interesting
6. Celes Chere, not finished the game yet but she is compelling, all together now "Oh my hero...so far away now!"
5. Yuffie/Vincent (as they are secret they count as one), that lil scamp sure caused some trouble and all though she was a bit of a pain at first, she became the most valued member of my ffvii team and she really pulls my heart strings at the end of DoC when shes looking up at the sky with no grin, her face serious.
vincent: emo and a bit of a drag but he can do some sweet flips, he is beautiful, if in need of fashion advice. Heroic and troubled. the flip side to Yuffie (if they were a coin), and his sad story of love with that scientist freak Lucrecia was kinda sad. plus it was fun aquiring them both
3. Cloud. Because he's not perfect and hes flawed but he's still the hero. and he drove a bike down the stairs.
2. Fran/balthier (As they are a duo): They stole the show from the instant they burst on to the screen on their flying motorbike, and what exactly is going on with them? whatever it is they are one compelling set of pirates.
1. Contraversial im Sure but.... Aeris: The woman was funny, sweet and felt more alive than any other character i can remember. Desired By shinra, loved by her friends and Murdered by Sephiroth. I still shed a tear for her, the loss of Aeris was one imense moment, she was great.

Honourable mentions
best octopus: ultros, (sniff u aren't just an ugly octopus)
best villain: Sephiroth (blah(latin) blah(latin) blah(latin) SEPHIROTH!!)
Best Princess: Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca (she's as cold as ice, and a refreshing change of heroine)
Worst Character: Khimari
Best non-human character: Nanaki/Red XII

No offense, but what you posted was a list for "top characters from FF VI - XII" rather than a list for "top characters from ALL FF games."

Remedy
05-13-2008, 11:21 PM
worse characters in day 1

PeneloRatsbane
05-13-2008, 11:35 PM
sorry, i've played III and IV and V and i sorta forgot the characters,
im sure there are some goodun's but they don't make my list,

Crossblades
05-14-2008, 12:02 AM
IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy characters - Day 2

IGN: Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters of All Time (http://stars.ign.com/articles/873/873741p1.html)

NeoCracker
05-14-2008, 02:50 AM
That list is even more depressing.

Karellen
05-14-2008, 02:51 AM
They ruined it by having a Final Fantasy VIII character higher then Delita Hyral, even if it is the best FFVIII character.

Big D
05-14-2008, 06:57 AM
This list doesn't perfectly match MY tastes and opinions regarding a bunch of characters from the Final Fantasy games...

Therefore it was written by complete idiots, how dare they, no taste, Cloud is overrated, bunch of fanboys, not enough old-school, etc etc.

I think I've just summarised every post that'll be made in this thread, so no-one else needs to bother now:D

ljkkjlcm9
05-14-2008, 07:15 AM
I loved FFVIII cause of the characters. They actually seemed the most real to me and the easiest to connect to. Sure the story was a bit absurd at times, but the characters themselves were awesome. People can hate on Squall all they want, but he has been the most realistic lead character.

THE JACKEL

charliepanayi
05-14-2008, 09:03 AM
This list doesn't perfectly match MY tastes and opinions regarding a bunch of characters from the Final Fantasy games...

Therefore it was written by complete idiots, how dare they, no taste, Cloud is overrated, bunch of fanboys, not enough old-school, etc etc.

I think I've just summarised every post that'll be made in this thread, so no-one else needs to bother now:D

Best post so far.

Slothy
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Although I agree, I think some amount of wondering what they were thinking is justified. I try to ignore the rankings, and when I do, I can generally see almost every character they've listed making a top 25 list, but then they add Jecht? I can buy the others, but I have to wonder how he got on there.

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm disappointed that they didn't use the screenshot of Cid yelling at Cloud to sit his ass down and drink his goddamned tea :cry:

Vivisteiner
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Ridiculous.

Steiner is blatantly number 1.

Remedy
05-14-2008, 06:11 PM
day 2 I voted for Jecht

CimminyCricket
05-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm glad that someone from tactics made the list.

Roogle
05-14-2008, 08:58 PM
I look forward to finding out whether or not Rydia from Final Fantasy IV will place on the Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters. I think that she has the most extensive fanbase of any character in all of the earlier Final Fantasy games, and it would be unfortunate to see her excluded from the Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters.

Nominus Experse
05-14-2008, 11:01 PM
I was waiting for Laguna to be included.

Levian
05-14-2008, 11:55 PM

I like you! I want to keep you in a box so I'll always know where you are.

Crossblades
05-15-2008, 07:03 PM
IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy characters - Day 3

IGN: Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day III (http://stars.ign.com/articles/873/873945p1.html)

Jessweeee♪
05-15-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm liking this list!

(I still wish they'd used that tea bit ;_;</>)

Crossblades
05-16-2008, 03:13 AM
IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy characters - Day 4

IGN: Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day IV (http://stars.ign.com/articles/874/874551p1.html)

Remedy
05-16-2008, 03:42 AM
I voted for Lady Yuna

ljkkjlcm9
05-16-2008, 04:44 AM
Pfft, if any villain is above Kefka, it's a travesty.

THE JACKEL

Karellen
05-16-2008, 10:00 AM
Say what you want about the validity of my remarks about Laguna being higher on the list then Delita but I doubt I'm the only one who's rolling their eyes at Tifa making the list.

Tifa is a better character then Delita. Let that one sink in for a minute.

Levian
05-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I've never heard of Delita before in my life, and I'm not the only one. It's only natural that more popular games gets more coverage when everyone is allowed to vote.

ljkkjlcm: Sephiroth

Vivisteiner
05-16-2008, 12:56 PM
The fact that Steiner is not number 1 on this list is simple proof that this whole thing is flawed.

PeneloRatsbane
05-16-2008, 01:05 PM
I'm glad Celes Chere and Setzer apeared, Setzer is a legend, i really like him and i liked his story about Daryll, but i guess he can't have been to upset if he wished to Marry "Maaariiiiaaa!!!" and then settled to try and marry Celes.

Also I think Tifa deserves some credit, she was one kick ass bar maid and she really came through for Cloud, ya know when he got all sick and she still stood by him even when she knew how he felt for Aeris, she was in a tricky sitch but proved herself to be a true friend in the end.

Agreed if Kefka doesn't come high up it'll be a travesty, the mans an evil phsyco

Karellen
05-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I've never heard of Delita before in my life, and I'm not the only one. It's only natural that more popular games gets more coverage when everyone is allowed to vote.

I thought this was the opinion of the staff at IGN and not a fan-voted list.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 04:33 PM
One would expect the first Final Fantasy to feature voice acting would show more signs of teething troubles, but it still features one of the best dubs in gaming.

... What? The voice acting isn't terrible most of the time, but there are some incredibly awkward moments in it. >_>

Tidus: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Yuna: You..probably shouldn't laugh anymore.
Tidus: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Tidus and Yuna: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Yuna: I want my journey to be filled with laughter.

Anyway, Kuja better be somewhere decent on the list. Best villain in the series, if you ask me. Aside from Kefka of course, who will pretty much be there, without a doubt.

I just can't help but think they'll put the obviously overrated Sephiroth or Cloud at number one. :rolleyes2

Masamunemaster
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm glad Celes Chere and Setzer apeared, Setzer is a legend, i really like him and i liked his story about Daryll, but i guess he can't have been to upset if he wished to Marry "Maaariiiiaaa!!!" and then settled to try and marry Celes.

Also I think Tifa deserves some credit, she was one kick ass bar maid and she really came through for Cloud, ya know when he got all sick and she still stood by him even when she knew how he felt for Aeris, she was in a tricky sitch but proved herself to be a true friend in the end.

Agreed if Kefka doesn't come high up it'll be a travesty, the mans an evil phsyco

I agree that setzer was awesome...every time I played that game he was always in my party asap and never took him out:)

NeoCracker
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Pfft, if any villain is above Kefka, it's a travesty.

THE JACKAL

Actually I'm fine with Kuja getting higher then him if he does, but the fact that Sephiroth will be higher bothers me though.

Levian
05-16-2008, 05:20 PM

I thought this was the opinion of the staff at IGN and not a fan-voted list.

Actually, you're probably right. I just saw a bunch of polls on the site and figured that's how they did it, but it seems all the polls are about how much you agree with the choices. My mistake.

PeneloRatsbane
05-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Kuja, are u kidding? i dunno hes a thong wearing Freak.
Thong on Fran = hot
Thong on Kuja = "Hey is that a chick, no wait its a dude" confusion

Vivisteiner
05-16-2008, 08:14 PM
You gotta give Kuja huge kudos though. No one else, not even Sephiroth or Kefka could look cool wearing a thong. Just goes to show how badly Kuja rocks.

The one today had Kefka ranked as number 8 I think. Only 5 left and I fear some great characters will be left out altogether. Im worried for Kuja, although surely Vivi will make it.

PeneloRatsbane
05-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I think if i had to choose one FF IX character (as much as i love it) I could easily choose, and it would go to Beatrix, the woman ruled!

Momiji
05-17-2008, 02:28 AM
Thong on Fran = hot

You don't get it. That just added to the absolute evil maniac Kuja was. Every word he spoke was like sinister poetry, and he attacked people's emotions first, and then went to kill them, so they would die in despair.

Kuja had the whole 'lunatic villain' thing down. Kefka, however, was the epitome of sadistic cruelty, and thus should be higher-up.

ljkkjlcm9
05-17-2008, 03:03 AM
they already posted the top 5
Moogles
Kain
Cloud
Vivi
Sephiroth

Not exactly what I would've picked. Kain I've always felt was highly overrated, as is Sephiroth. I can't deny Cloud a top 5 spot, he's the hero of what can be considered the most influential FF. Moogles and Vivi deserved it though, considering Vivi represents basically every black mage in the history of FF

THE JACKEL

Karellen
05-17-2008, 03:21 AM
I don't think much of those choices but it was worth it just to hear them say that anyone who thinks Squall is a good character is wrong.

Momiji
05-17-2008, 03:24 AM
they already posted the top 5
Moogles
Kain
Cloud
Vivi
Sephiroth

Not exactly what I would've picked. Kain I've always felt was highly overrated, as is Sephiroth. I can't deny Cloud a top 5 spot, he's the hero of what can be considered the most influential FF. Moogles and Vivi deserved it though, considering Vivi represents basically every black mage in the history of FF

THE JACKAL

Kain is hardly as overrated as Cloud and Sephiroth are.

Well, these results suck, IMO. Here are my top 5. :p

5. Cecil
4. Relm
3. Kefka
2. Kuja
1. Rydia

I feel better now.

Crossblades
05-17-2008, 04:05 AM
Although it was already mentioned, here is IGN's Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day 5

IGN: Top 25 Final Fantasy Characters - Day V (http://stars.ign.com/articles/874/874708p1.html)

Bahamut2000X
05-17-2008, 04:23 AM
They put up a picture of Golbez in place of Kain. I lol'ed. :rolleyes2

As for the rest of their choices. Much palm facing was in order. Cloud? Really? He was just a guy with no personality and an over sized sword. Make him do a few cool stunts and suddenly he becomes a crowd pleaser without any of the good charm REAL heroes had in the past and since.

Sephiroth as first? Seriously now. I did enjoy their comment on how he was mostly a presence in the background, but other then that I don't feel he deserves to be top 10, let alone top 5. He just never really did it for me as a villain.

Lulu made the list which saddened me. Their reason for picking her because they like girls with boobies but GIVING another reason was the worst in my opinion. "Lulu's personality fits how she looks!" Ummm....what personality? She hardly spoke. I don't consider it a GOOD personality if they don't speak or monologue or in any form communicate themselves. That is what you would call a LACK of character, not something to commend.

Over all I was saddened and call that list mostly a joke. Many fine characters were either too low, or not even on the list, and many bums were either too high or on the list to begin with.

Goldenboko
05-17-2008, 04:43 AM
The fact that Kuja wasn't even on the list proved how invalid it was xD

Momiji
05-17-2008, 04:49 AM
The fact that Kuja wasn't even on the list proved how invalid it was xD

THANK YOU. ;)

Goldenboko
05-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Thong on Fran = hot

You don't get it. That just added to the absolute evil maniac Kuja was. Every word he spoke was like sinister poetry,

Peace is but a shadow of death,
Desperate to forget its painful past...
Though we hope for promising years, after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears.
And while the moon still shines blue, by dawn, it will turn to scarlet hue.

Momiji
05-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Thong on Fran = hot

You don't get it. That just added to the absolute evil maniac Kuja was. Every word he spoke was like sinister poetry,

Peace is but a shadow of death,
Desperate to forget its painful past...
Though we hope for promising years, after shedding a thousand tears, yesterday's sorrow constantly nears.
And while the moon still shines blue, by dawn, it will turn to scarlet hue.

Exactly. If that doesn't scream 'this guy's freaking psychotic', the thong does. :p

Goldenboko
05-17-2008, 05:06 AM
The gestures and motions he makes during his lines are also extremely fitting and always reinforced that "Woah" feeling. I loved at one point of the game he raised his hands into the air, and shook his head left to right. Also whenever he did that "girly brush" with his hair, it was always at a time where he was dismissing someone or something to that degree, and it was always very fitting.

Momiji
05-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah, and the odd thing is, when he does the 'girly brush thing', it seems less feminine and more sophisticated.

It doesn't seem to be often when a Final Fantasy villain is sophisticated and smart instead of consumed by blind rage.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Good list! :kaocheer:

Remedy
05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
I voted for Vivi
cute character awwww

Raebus
05-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I do not take this list seriously. Sephiroth being number one? Highly predictable and laughable. It's a terrible list.

PeneloRatsbane
05-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I dunno, i agree about Sephiroth,
sure Kefka and Kuja are more metal and perphaps more evil but they weren't as, i dunno, spehiroth just has something
He's bad but, he was good once, he did some messed up stuff and you feel his presence althro the game, i remember seeing that Serpant chiskababed and i thought "OHHHH he's been here!"
Its the style, the sword, the fact that he was product of one of the skankiest 3 ways ever, and the fact that he murdered a main heroine and kicked off one hell of an adventure

Raebus
05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Kefka and Kuja = Far more interesting villains.

I find Sephiroth to be highly overrated and sticky due to all the people who masturbate over him.

Rantz
05-17-2008, 01:45 PM
The thing that bothers me about the list, is that it seems to aspire at being an icon more than a valid list, balancing between trying to calm the fans, picking characters that surprise people (just to not be predictable), and to actually pick good characters.

That being said, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I could agree with some of the rationale more, some less. My list would have looked different, but theirs had some entertainment value, at least to me.

Goldenboko
05-17-2008, 02:47 PM
I dunno, i agree about Sephiroth,
sure Kefka and Kuja are more metal and perphaps more evil but they weren't as, i dunno, spehiroth just has something
He's bad but, he was good once, he did some messed up stuff and you feel his presence althro the game, i remember seeing that Serpant chiskababed and i thought "OHHHH he's been here!"
Its the style, the sword, the fact that he was product of one of the skankiest 3 ways ever, and the fact that he murdered a main heroine and kicked off one hell of an adventure

More metal? Did someone watch too much Metalocalypse? I wouldn't describe Kuja or Kefka as "Metal" xD

When it comes down to it, this is what Sephiroth really has going for him.

Cool sword, cool looks, well used screen time. The reason Square doesn't give him a lot of Screen time, is because he really doesn't have a personality, so you can't throw him out there too much. Most of the time, while replaying the game, I find he had a better personality when he was a Protagonist. Other that he'd just, "Blah blah blah"<- facts. "Blah blah blah"<- What he's going to do. It'd get kinda boring to read his dialogue.

Square didn't make the perfect villain, they did make the perfect character for fanboys. Hell even the game makes it clear your going to search the map all day for that two seconds of screen time, then go looking for him again.

Also, I don't get how anyone really thinks Aerith's death, is 'awesome'. She was a mediocre character, really, I found her pretty annoying. She mainly just got in the way of the Cloud-Tifa lovestory, and she died before she had a chance to prove herself as a good character.

Besides Galuf's death scene=Epic. Aerith's fails in comparison.

Yeah, and the odd thing is, when he does the 'girly brush thing', it seems less feminine and more sophisticated.

It doesn't seem to be often when a Final Fantasy villain is sophisticated and smart instead of consumed by blind rage.

I fully endorse this statement.

Zemus, X-Death, Kefka, Sephiroth, and Ultimecia. All characters which are just pissed. Thats FF4-8! Kuja was the one to finally break that trend :)

Momiji
05-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Yes, yes, yes. I could not agree more.

IGN's list was nothing more than fanboy appeasement.

Bahamut2000X
05-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Cloud, Sephiroth, and a bajillion girls all with big breasts or scantially clad or just the crowd favorites. Yeah that alone made their list rubbish. I still much enjoyed Aeris on the list "Because she died!" "Any other reason?" "No she died! It was the first!" "What about the cast of FF II? Or FF IV? or FF V? or FF VI?" "Lawlz that isn't FF, only Cloud are FF"

Right IGN.....right. :rolleyes2

NeoCracker
05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
While I agree, the line in VV's description about Squall more then made up for that horrid, horrid list.

Though VV did deserve a place on the list, though not as high as 2.

Heath
05-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Wasn't a fantastic list by any stretch of word; nice that they actually included some pre-FFVII characters in there, but some of them felt like token additions to appease the fans, but I gather that that's what the whole list was really. It was interesting, but not terribly surprising how it turned out in the end and my list would certainly be much different.

ReloadPsi
05-17-2008, 08:49 PM

I'm not too surprised either. Frankly though, I'm surprised not to see someone as mundane as Fighter from FF1 as number 1, seeing as big lists of best games ever always having some simple, pseudo-intellectual, "nobody will complain because nobody will necessarily object" choice like the original Super Mario Bros. as number 1. Not that I'm saying owt bad about Super Mario Bros. like, but still.

What's ballsy is that they slapped Sephiroth on there and tried to justify the decision. I am 100% certain that you would be stoned to death for doing that anywhere in these parts.

Old Manus
05-17-2008, 09:38 PM
BWARGH THE LIST ON THE INTERNET IS WRONG THIS IS AN OUTRAGE

Vivisteiner
05-17-2008, 09:56 PM
BURN HIM

BURN HIM!!!

Yar
05-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I call shenanigans!

Obsidian
05-18-2008, 02:00 AM
One sign (other than the blatant sticking of Cloud and Sephiroth at the top) of lame fan-catering on that list is the lack of II and III characters, probably because IGN is well aware of the fact that not very many fanlings know/care about them.

While Desch from III isn't the coolest character by any stretch of the imagination, one could probably argue him into a 25-20 ranking if they tried. And what about Leon from II? You just don't SEE moral conflicts like that in games anymore! Nowadays traitor-friends are always controlled by the "enemy's magic" or TEH DARKNESS wich CONTROLZ DER HEART!!11 :rolleyes2 Yes, Riku, I'm looking at you.

I'm not even that partial to V, but I can tell you that the exclusion of Galuf and Gilgamesh spells utter failure as it is.

The Crystal
05-18-2008, 03:27 AM

What he said.

Yar
05-18-2008, 04:02 AM
I just love how they tried to justify Sephiroth being #1

One of the remarkable things about Sephiroth is how little time he actually spends on-screen. Throughout most of Final Fantasy VII, he's not so much an active element of the plot as a looming presence behind it. Perhaps that's why his scenes have remained so memorable – his rampage in Nibelheim, Aerith's final moments, and the climactic battle in the Northern Crater are moments that have stuck with thousands of fans over the years. He doesn't show up all that often, but when he does step out from the shadows, he definitely makes the most of his time at center stage.

I didn't know that three scenes gets you best character ever. Huh...

This sounds like a better character:

Great monster villains tap into primal, instinctive fears. Even before they open their mouths to cackle maniacally and order the doing of evil deeds, they can inspire fear and loathing merely by their very presence. Therein lies the appeal of Final Fantasy VI's Kefka, who sparks the in-grown terror of clowns that lurks in all of us.

Of course, he's got more than his freaky painted face to get him over as the ultimate bad guy – an apocalyptic plot gave him awesome evil deeds to do, while a fine English script gave him plenty of snappy lines – but his looks definitely got him off on the right villainous foot.

Or this:

Since there has to be at least one Cid here, it has to be the Final Fantasy VII edition, the hard-bitten, chain-smoking rocket engineer that gave his name to the game's famous airship.

While nearly every Final Fantasy adventure has had a Cid, and every Cid has been memorable in at least some small way, FFVII's Cid put himself on the map in a way that no other Cid has done since. Not content with sitting in the background the way some Cids have, FFVII's Highwind even managed to claim the title of party leader for a while, which is an honor that no other Cid has earned.

But this? Being #13, and then explaining it was 'cause she's a whore?:

Between the leap to 3D and the much heavier emphasis on detailed background graphics and cinematics, Final Fantasy VII was a turning point for the series in many ways. One change that's noted less often than some, though, is that this was the first attempt to give Final Fantasy characters real, erm, sex appeal. True, Tifa's 3D model looks awfully primitive ten years later, but it probably had an effect on a teenage audience at the time. To her credit, she also managed to look good while keeping her street credibility intact – Tifa's two-fisted attack clearly established her as a character who could take care of herself in a pinch.

Also, from Selphie's:

The eighth Final Fantasy is generally considered a game with a couple of problems. It's the tortured adolescent of the series, starring a cast so drowned in angst that they probably should have taken some time off from saving the world to go in for a round of group therapy.

There's a bright light here and there, though, and Selphie is one of them, a cheerful young lady with a giant pair of nunchucks who desperately attempts to turn the game's collective frown upside-down. She also wins points for sporting a classic flip hairdo, of the kind that hasn't been seen in America since late in the Eisenhower years.

Sounds a little biased...
Maybe next time IGN decides to rank Final Fantasy (or anything as a matter of fact,) they should get people to rank who know what the hell they are doing. Maybe people who have played every FF to an extent? Not just some here and there?

What I'm going to do now is rank Star Wars' 5 best characters. Keep in mind, I've never seen a Star War, or know who any of the characters are. These are just some names I know. I just want to see if IGN's list compares to mine.

5.Luke
4.Anakin
3.C3PO
2.That gay midget robot that beeps.
1.Chewy

NeoCracker
05-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Actually, most people will probably agree thats quite an accurate list. :p

Remedy
05-18-2008, 10:39 AM
is it only 5 days voting?

PeneloRatsbane
05-18-2008, 01:35 PM
who do u think the worst FF character would be? these are my contenders (cept maybe i'm being to harsh on Rikku, i'm just having trouble thinking of ones i don't like)
Ya know who i don't like, Rikku!
she just bugs me, and sure shes the same sort of character as Yuffie but she is no where as good.
Also Khimari can't remember a word that thing said.
And Shelke, she creeps me out, body of a 10 year old, she looks 15+ just like in evangelion they were supposed to be 14 but had large boobs.

Bahamut2000X
05-18-2008, 03:12 PM

And most would agree those people are idiots.

Crossblades
05-18-2008, 03:52 PM
is it only 5 days voting?

Yes

Momiji
05-18-2008, 03:54 PM

And most would agree those people are idiots.

*nod nod*

blackmage_nuke
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Any FF list for best anything that doesnt have an FFVI entry at the top is automatic fail

Bahamut2000X
05-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Here, here's the complete list according to IGN in order.

1. Sephiroth
2. Vivi
3. Cloud
4. Kain (With Golbez's picture though XD)
5. Moogle-kind
6. Kefka
7. Aeris
8. Lulu
9. Balthier
10. Yuna
11. Faris
12. Setzer
13. Tifa
14. Celes
15. Rydia
16. Laguna
17. Delita
18. Steiner
19. Jecht
20. Reno
21. Cid Highwind
22. Wakka
23. Selphie
24. Ultros
25. Garland

That's the list of a group of people who only read other forums for ideas instead of actually playing the games themselves.

Jessweeee♪
05-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Here, here's the complete list according to IGN in order.

1. Sephiroth
2. Vivi
3. Cloud
4. Kain (With Golbez picture though XD(
5. Moogle-kind
6. Kefka
7. Aeris
8. Lulu
9. Balthier
10. Yuna
11. Faris
12. Setzer
13. Tifa
14. Celes
15. Rydia
16. Laguna
17. Delita
18. Steiner
19. Jecht
20. Reno
21. Cid Highwind
22. Wakka
23. Selphie
24. Ultros
25. Garland

That's the list of a group of people who only read other forums for ideas instead of actually playing the games themselves.

If that's the case I don't think they came here....

Karellen
05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Yeah, people who post on forums are dumb. They have no taste in anything.

Shotgunnova
05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Although Kain and Delita's placement was a (welcome) surprise, list was a yawnfest...like expected.

Remedy
05-18-2008, 06:44 PM
so no Tidus and no Squall huh?
ah well :tied:

Goldenboko
05-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Squall doesn't even deserve to be called an FF character :P

Bahamut2000X
05-18-2008, 06:51 PM
If either Squall or Tidus made the cut I would have to burn down IGN. Though I probably will just for the fact that they can't tell the difference between Golbez and Kain.

Obsidian
05-18-2008, 09:20 PM
*** RE-INACTMENT (not) USING ACTUAL ACTORS ***

IGN Goon #1: Kids will cry if we don't have old skool FF in the top 5. Let's use Kain.

IGN Goon #2: What the hell is a "Kain"?

IGN Goon #1: Hell if I know, but I heard he was on the FFIV title art, so he MUST be important. Go google his picture and we will be all set!

Bahamut2000X
05-19-2008, 02:40 AM
IGN Goon #2: What the hell is a "Kain"?

That one line alone made me laugh. :D

Marshall Banana
05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
Gilgamesh. =(

I think Nanaki, Hojo, and Cait Sith are more deserving of places on that list than Tifa, Cloud, and Sephiroth. =O

Remedy
05-19-2008, 09:21 AM
If either Squall or Tidus made the cut I would have to burn down IGN. Though I probably will just for the fact that they can't tell the difference between Golbez and Kain.
I don't care what you think of Tidus and Squall
THEY ARE THE BEST CHARACTERS
what makes me laugh is the zombie Aerith/Aeris is in the list
this is IGN nothing new

Roxxas
05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
I'll be honest this is much better then I expected from IGN. Usually ALL they do is cater to shallow fanboys. In this however they seem to have put in a LITTLE effort. Some of the choices and descriptions were actually pretty decent. Not including Squall was something I never would have thought them capable of doing so kudos to them. Though if they were gonna give a spot for just for dying it should have went to Tidus. I was actually happy when he died instead of just not giving a crap when Aeris died. Anyway thanks for trying IGN but you're still a miserable failure making a fool of yourself to anyone with a brain who has played Final Fantasy.

Momiji
05-19-2008, 02:38 PM
this is IGN nothing new

Squall was an okay character IMO, but not good enough to warrant a place on a top 25 list. Perhaps an honorable mention.

And I don't care what you think of Tidus and Squall, I can get my point across better than you can because I can use reasoning instead of flashy annoying bold red text, along with the fact I'm not a fanboy blinded by blind fanaticism. (:jess:)

Tidus never deserved to be in a Final Fantasy at all. He was a boring, pathetic, selfish fool who whined about anything he didn't like. There was hardly any character development, unless you count how he eventually wormed his way into Yuna's heart with cliché lines and Hallmark card-quality advice. Unlike "zombie Aeris", I was happy when Tidus vanished. In the very least, Aeris played with your emotions a bit. As for Tidus vanishing, it was like having your real-life female friend breaking up with her idiot boyfriend. Sure, you feel bad for her, but on the inside you're happy the idiot's gone.

Tidus is down there with Cloud and Sephiroth, IMO.

In Squall's case, he had a cool character design (read: no smurfing ridiculous costume, like most of Nomura's designs today), and he had a normal teenage personality. The reason I say he shouldn't be in such a list is because he didn't do anything to stand out at all, except if you count that he had not a gun, not a sword, but a GUNBLADE! (Ooooooooooh~) In other words, he was pretty bland. Squall's one of my favorite characters, though, because he feels more like a real person.

Either way, neither deserved a spot on the list, and nor did half of the characters on the list. Like I said before, that stupid list was nothing more than fanboy appeasement.

Remedy
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
this is IGN nothing new

Squall was an okay character IMO, but not good enough to warrant a place on a top 25 list. Perhaps an honorable mention.

And I don't care what you think of Tidus and Squall, I can get my point across better than you can because I can use reasoning instead of flashy annoying bold red text, along with the fact I'm not a fanboy blinded by blind fanaticism. (:jess:)

Tidus never deserved to be in a Final Fantasy at all. He was a boring, pathetic, selfish fool who whined about anything he didn't like. There was hardly any character development, unless you count how he eventually wormed his way into Yuna's heart with cliché lines and Hallmark card-quality advice. Unlike "zombie Aeris", I was happy when Tidus vanished. In the very least, Aeris played with your emotions a bit. As for Tidus vanishing, it was like having your real-life female friend breaking up with her idiot boyfriend. Sure, you feel bad for her, but on the inside you're happy the idiot's gone.

In Squall's case, he had a cool character design (read: no smurfing ridiculous costume, like most of Nomura's designs today), and he had a normal teenage personality. The reason I say he shouldn't be in such a list is because he didn't do anything to stand out at all, except if you count that he had not a gun, not a sword, but a GUNBLADE! (Ooooooooooh~) In other words, he was pretty bland. Squall's one of my favorite characters, though, because he feels more like a real person.

Either way, neither deserved a spot on the list, and nor did half of the characters on the list. Like I said before, that stupid list was nothing more than fanboy appeasement.

BLAH BLAH .. YOU CAN MOVE YOUR MOUTH FOR EVER BUT TIDUS AND SQUALL ARE THE BEST.

Bahamut2000X
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
BLAH BLAH .. YOU CAN MOVE YOUR MOUTH FOR EVER BUT TIDUS AND SQUALL ARE THE BEST.

I'll do this in place of Momiji. *face palm*

Momiji
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM

Thank you.

You can spout all of your boldfaced all-caps bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: all you want, but until you start backing up what you say, your words mean absolutely nothing. Please quit while you are behind.

Marshall Banana
05-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Squallberry should be on that list, too.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/squallberry.gif

ljkkjlcm9
05-20-2008, 01:35 AM

You are awesome and I completely agree. He also has one of my favorite quotes from any FF.
"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just 2 sides holding different views."

THE JACKEL

Jessweeee♪
05-20-2008, 02:33 AM

Thank you.

You can spout all of your boldfaced all-caps bull:skull::skull::skull::skull: all you want, but until you start backing up what you say, your words mean absolutely nothing. Please quit while you are behind.

How 'bout Tidus is the best just because :</>D?

Screw logic, I wanna be a fangirl!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Momiji
05-20-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm glad you agree, ljkkjlcm9.

Thank you.

How 'bout Tidus is the best just because :</>D?

Screw logic, I wanna be a fangirl!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Shut up! You aren't helping! :cry:

All you're doing is giving Mr. Capslock von Boldface more foolish things to say in this foolish thread, because he exudes the foolishness of a foolish fool. ;)

Goldenboko
05-20-2008, 03:08 AM
This foolish tomfoolery fools only the foolish fools!

Forsaken Lover
05-20-2008, 06:52 AM
I know you're all just waiting for me to comment.

Am I surprised at Sephiroth being number 1? No.
Does this offer more proof to the Atheist belief? Yes.
Does IGN's list matter? No.
Do fanboy nut-huggers of FFVII think IGN's list matters? Yes.

This is even more inspiration for my first YouTube video. If I ever get the time you can all expect a nice long rant from me about Kuja vs. Sephiroth. Stay tuned but don't hold your breath.

Karellen
05-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Please don't. The whole "FFVII/Sephirth/Cloud' is overrated" thing has been done to death at this point. All it results in is people who disagree getting irrationally defensive and people who do agree circle-jerking each other ad nauseum.

Forsaken Lover
05-20-2008, 08:33 AM
Therein lies the fun though. Pissing off creepy fanboys.
Besides,, I won't just rant and blow smoke. I plan to explore Kuja's and Sephiroth's characters, appearances and so-forth.

Raebus
05-20-2008, 08:45 AM
this is IGN nothing new

Step away from the keyboard.

Momiji
05-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Therein lies the fun though. Pissing off creepy fanboys.
Besides,, I won't just rant and blow smoke. I plan to explore Kuja's and Sephiroth's characters, appearances and so-forth.

Please don't. No offense, but most of your 'vs.' threads end up to be entirely opinionated.

I can provide examples if they're needed.

Forsaken Lover
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Please don't. Most of your replies in my topics tend to be opinionated bitching about the topic.

What the facts are, or rather, the single fact is: I have an opinion. Everyone does. But if I make a Versus topic or any other topic, I support my opinion with facts and evidence. I've written multiple pieces on Kuja and Sephiroth that can be found on this very forum to attest to this..

But just for fun I collected the topics I was really a participant in to show how "entirely opinionated" I am.

Facts provided:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/92919-kuja-vs-sephiroth.html

http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/105433-goku-vs-ac-sephiroth-cloud.html

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/108685-darth-nihilus-vs-ultimecia.html

And of course my recent Volgin thread where I refuted your argument as well
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/116949-colonel-volgin-vs-tifa-lockheart.html

There's also more like I believe my Pan thread but I won't post them all.

Fact is you seem to have it out for me and I’m tired of it. If you don’t like me or my topics get in line with The Crystal.

If this is overly hostile, sorry. But I’m defensive and you’ve warranted that response with your numerous thinly-veiled insults at me.

Also, as with all my topics in which you insist on commenting negatively, you hold no obligation to watch my YT video if I make it.

Momiji
05-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm not going to argue about your threads in this one. It's been far derailed at this point anyway. Expect a PM in the near future.

Vivisteiner
05-20-2008, 03:54 PM
Awww, just as it was getting good.

I already went out and bought me some popcorn. Now what can I do with it?

Momiji
05-20-2008, 04:11 PM

Go choke on a kernel. :mad2:

Forsaken Lover
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM

Go see Iron Man foo'.

And if you saw it already, save the popcorn for the Crystal Skull.

Vivisteiner
05-20-2008, 06:32 PM

Go see Iron Man foo'.

And if you saw it already, save the popcorn for the Crystal Skull.
I see iron man all the time.

Here he is! (http://www.ffcompendium.com/art/9-steiner-c.jpg)

Go choke on a kernel. :mad2:
:cry:

MEANIE!

Breine
05-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Sigh, unsurprisingly Sephiroth got the 1st place. He's a great character, yes, but he's also overrated.