PDA

View Full Version : Panic at Disco-Pretty Odd

Masamunemaster
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Who else agrees with me and my best friend?

Everyone of their cds we have loved and have messed the cds up from listening to them so much, but with Pretty Odd....its just different...they arent Panic...they have messed up with this cd...I planned on buying it today when I got paid but I listened to the whole thing and the only song I liked was Nine in the Afternoon.

But what is everyone elses thoughts?

NeoCracker
05-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I actually like qutie a few of their songs, but quite a few are pretty bad too.

Haven't heard anything about Pretty odd. Might look into it when I run out of things to do.

PeneloRatsbane
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
i've heard that pretty odd is in fact, just odd, so i didn't buy it

DMKA
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF CLOSING A GODDAMN DOOR?

I can't stand them personally. They're like Fallout Boy with more annoying fans.

Breine
05-14-2008, 04:50 PM
I think Panic at the Disco is an okay good band. "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" was actually a pretty decent album, and I've heard/read that "Pretty Odd" is supposed to be an all-around better album.

Momiji
05-15-2008, 04:08 AM
I heard 'Nine in the Afternoon' and was rather unimpressed. I (shamefully) adore 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' though, so I still can listen to that. :P

Bunny
05-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Panic at the Disco sucks. So I can only assume that their newest venture into terrible music is just as bad as their last.

Masamunemaster
05-15-2008, 07:22 AM
well I personally have liked most of there albums, but pretty odd..if you ask me it is a waste of money(oh watch out with the FOB cracks...my best friend is on EOFF also and he would go crazy)

Tallulah
05-15-2008, 09:15 AM
I heard part of the album in HMV, and it was so godawful I had to leave.. :mad:

Big D
05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
HAVEN'T YOU PEOPLE EVER HEARD OF CLOSING A GODDAMN DOOR?

I can't stand them personally. They're like Fallout Boy with more annoying fans.I'd have to agree. To me, they come across as painfully obnoxious and loud-mouthed. If others like them, then that's fine with me - it's not like anyone's forcing their music on me, except in commercials or shops.

Momiji
05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
(oh watch out with the FOB cracks...my best friend is on EOFF also and he would go crazy)

Or you/he could just suck it up. It's not like everyone has to agree with you/him.

Fall Out Boy was better before they got so popular. They suck now.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I haven't heard their new album, nor do I really want to. I really don't regard Panic! as anything that special or great.

rubah
05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
they're okay, but their phrases are too long xD

Ryth
05-16-2008, 01:17 AM
It was more fun catching how many times they ripped off Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper's than it was actually listening to the 'music.' Take all the great (or not-so-great) ideas from 60's psych-pop and make the ideas half-baked and uninspired. The Harrison leads and circus themes are such blatant rips and are really only put in with hopes that the usual Hot Topic customer has never heard a Beatles album before and then think this album is "weird and quirky" to make them feel special.

The most you could say about this album is that same of the chord progressions are rather surprising for the genre and scene PATD appeals to, but as scenes go, it's sure as hell nothing new.

The Unknown Guru
05-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Panic at the Disco sucks. So I can only assume that their newest venture into terrible music is just as bad as their last.

This.

I Don't Need A Name
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
personally i really like it. ok, its nothing like Panic, but it doesnt mean that its not good.

Ryth
05-16-2008, 10:52 PM
personally i really like it. ok, its nothing like Panic, but it doesnt mean that its not good.

Really, not sounding like Fever-era Panic is a compliment if anything.

To bad they still suck. ):

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Actually Masamunemaster, let me correct you. I don't think you can enjoy most of their albums because A Fever You Can't Sweat Out was their debut album and didn't have any album prior to that. And to sit here and compare them to Fall Out Boy is crazy. FOB is in a completely different league and is easily the best band of the last decade. A Fever You Can't Sweat Out was a really impressive album due to it being their first and only album and is still a favorite album of mine. But as PeneloRatsbane said, it was in fact Pretty Odd, as the title says. It sounds like a 1960 album with a twist. Nine in the Afternoon is the only good song on the entire album and it was a mediocre song at best. Oh and for the Panic at the Disco fans that dislike Fall Out Boy, if it wasn't for FOB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_at_the_disco), they might not be a known group today!

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2008, 06:35 AM
I like a few of their songs n.n

The titles are a bit too long...most stuff won't fit "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage."

Momiji
05-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Actually Masamunemaster, let me correct you. I don't think you can enjoy most of their albums because A Fever You Can't Sweat Out was their debut album and didn't have any album prior to that. And to sit here and compare them to Fall Out Boy is crazy. FOB is in a completely different league and is easily the best band of the last decade. A Fever You Can't Sweat Out was a really impressive album due to it being their first and only album and is still a favorite album of mine. But as PeneloRatsbane said, it was in fact Pretty Odd, as the title says. It sounds like a 1960 album with a twist. Nine in the Afternoon is the only good song on the entire album and it was a mediocre song at best. Oh and for the Panic at the Disco fans that dislike Fall Out Boy, if it wasn't for FOB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_at_the_disco), they might not be a known group today!

Ah-- I'm going to have to seriously disagree with you. Fall Out Boy is nowhere NEAR the best band of the decade, they're just one of the most hyped.

Furthermore, I don't care how Panic came to be (not to mention I already knew either way), but I liked their first album and I dislike Fall Out Boy. It's that simple.

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-18-2008, 02:55 AM

Ah-- I'm going to have to seriously disagree with you. Fall Out Boy is nowhere NEAR the best band of the decade, they're just one of the most hyped.

Furthermore, I don't care how Panic came to be (not to mention I already knew either way), but I liked their first album and I dislike Fall Out Boy. It's that simple.

Well, I guess this is one of those things we'll agree to disagree cause Fall Out Boy in my opinion is one the better bands of the albums. Their music, performances and "different" styles is what makes them so great. All their songs are great and are very catchy.

Momiji
05-18-2008, 03:00 AM

Well, I guess this is one of those things we'll agree to disagree cause Fall Out Boy in my opinion is one the better bands of the albums. Their music, performances and "different" styles is what makes them so great. All their songs are great and are very catchy.

They sound pretty much the same, if you ask me. You can add a couple decorated additional noises to your music, but that doesn't make it "different".

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
05-18-2008, 03:11 AM
I for one, don't see that much of a similarity between Fall Out Boy and Panic. But maybe I'm just biased cause I love Panic so much. *shrugs* I dunno. When I heard people saying the lead singers voices were pretty much the same, I thought I was crazy cause I didn't hear it. :/

I think Pretty. Odd. was okay for a second album. I mean, I was ecstatic when I got it in the mail. But unlike, A Fever, I had a few songs on it that I hated. The sound is different, but I'd rather have different sound than the same album another time over. :)

Kes
05-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Personally I think Panic! At the Disco > Panic at the Disco.

I liked <i>A Fever You Can't Sweat Out</i> due to the story-esque elements of the lyrics and the use of the cello (and all the other non guitar/bass/drum instruments). My favourite was "There's a Reason These Tables Are Numbered, Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet" maybe also because it's the longest and most obnoxious title. I know at least two of those titles are quotes from a movie (but I forget which movie since it was my friend who figured it out).

What I've heard from their new album, well, I'm not really impressed with it. It lost all the stuff I really liked, and now I feel like they sound like "everybody else". I'll need to listen to more of it and really listen, but that's my first impression.

As for Panic! sounding like FOB my brother thinks they're the same band. I hear a difference though I enjoy listening to both, even if I hate to admit it.

Quindiana Jones
05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
I like that one about cancer.

Momiji
05-18-2008, 09:21 PM
I like that one about cancer.

That one is "There's a Reason These Tables Are Numbered, Honey, You Just Haven't Thought of It Yet", as mentioned by Kes.

Quindiana Jones
05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Even if I cared what it was called, I sure as hell can't be arsed to write that title out! :laugh:

"That one about cancer" got the message across.

NeoCracker
05-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I quite enjoy both Fall Out Boy and Panic. They are definatly similar in sound, but different enough I can easily tell them apart.

Though of the two, Fall Out Boy is Definately better.

And I like how both bands name their songs.

"I slept with a member of Fall Out Boy and all I got was this lousy song"
"Our lawyer made us change the name of this so we wouldn't get sued"

"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking off her clothes"

Great titles right there, though not as great as "This cocaine makes me feel like I"m on this song."

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-19-2008, 12:28 AM
I quite enjoy both Fall Out Boy and Panic. They are definatly similar in sound, but different enough I can easily tell them apart.

Though of the two, Fall Out Boy is Definately better.

And I like how both bands name their songs.

"I slept with a member of Fall Out Boy and all I got was this lousy song"
"Our lawyer made us change the name of this so we wouldn't get sued"

"Lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking off her clothes"

Great titles right there, though not as great as "This cocaine makes me feel like I"m on this song."

I agree too. I love Panic but I do believe Fall Out Boy is much better. I do not believe that neither Patrick(FOB) and Brandon(Panic) do not sound anything alike. Patrick has a voice I've never heard before and I do believe he has a really great voice as does Brandon, but they're nothing of the same.

Masamunemaster
05-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I dont know how you all think they sound alike they are totally different, and the only reason I think they put the titles so long is so people would read them and pay attention and get curious:D

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-20-2008, 06:16 PM
I like a few of their songs n.n

The titles are a bit too long...most stuff won't fit "The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage."

I dont know how you all think they sound alike they are totally different, and the only reason I think they put the titles so long is so people would read them and pay attention and get curious:D

The long ass names are the best part of the two bands. That's one the many things that make them different from your average current day pop/punk rock. I love how the names of the songs are and I really enjoy a few of them.

redxiiii
05-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Personally i like the band, i thoguht a fever you can't sweat out had some catchy tunes to it, an pretty odd is cool too, they have gone in a compleatley different direction to their debut, and for taking the plunge and doing that i have some respect for them. oh an FOB lost my respect when they tried to cover micheal jackson, what whre they thinkin :S

Værn
05-31-2008, 05:53 AM
I wonder if they realize how much of a mistake it was to get rid of the exclamation point...

Spawn of Sephiroth
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Personally i like the band, i thoguht a fever you can't sweat out had some catchy tunes to it, an pretty odd is cool too, they have gone in a compleatley different direction to their debut, and for taking the plunge and doing that i have some respect for them. oh an FOB lost my respect when they tried to cover micheal jackson, what whre they thinkin :S

Actually, their cover of "Beat It" was alot better than Micheal Jackson's version. In most circumstances, the originals are better, but not in this case. I use to hate that song, but now I sing it all the time, even with the weird glances from people.

chaos_ghost
06-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Panic's a unique band, so I'll probally end up buying it.

NeoCracker
06-01-2008, 05:56 AM

Actually, their cover of "Beat It" was alot better than Micheal Jackson's version. In most circumstances, the originals are better, but not in this case. I use to hate that song, but now I sing it all the time, even with the weird glances from people.

I really liked Michael JAcksons beat it, but I agree FOB sounds better.

Of course so did Alient Ant Farm doing Smooth Criminal. :p