PDA

View Full Version : Who Still Pays for Gas?

Mongotha
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Anyone?

I quit about a month ago and started riding my bike. I figure I still have to fuel myself, whether I fuel my car or not. Now, I feel great, all the money that I would be spending on gas goes straight to my savings account, and there's one less car on the road creating traffic and exhaust.

Is gas still worth the price to you? If not, how low would it have to go in order for you to start paying again? If so, how much are you willing to pay?

KentaRawr!
05-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Sadly, all of Ohio seems to have been designed with Gasoline in mind. We can't just stop using cars. :p Hopefully, non-gas cars become more popular, and thus, become cheaper.

Tallulah
05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I walk everywhere.

My bike is broken. I guess I should get it fixed.

I'm learning to drive, though. It's fun! :D

fire_of_avalon
05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Some people can't just get a bike and ride it. I walk most places I need to go, but sometimes I can't avoid driving.

Rye
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Everywhere that I need/like to go to, such as school, work, the gym, and Starbucks, is at least 2 miles away, so I always drive. Yes, gas is very expensive, it's nearly $4 in these parts of NY. But I still manage to pay for it, with only a tutoring job and a minimum wage job that gives me 4 hours a week.

Mongotha
05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Sometimes I have to drive also, but it's usually for other people. I run a lot (no really, a lot) or errands for my parents and my grandpa and it usually involves picking other people up or dropping them off, but they've agreed to pay that gas as long as I pay for my personal gas, which I do. But I don't spend that much. I don't think I'll start regularly paying for gas until it goes at least below $3.00/gallon. I've also come to really like riding my bike. It's fun.

Old Manus
05-14-2008, 10:49 PM
Oh no, not another 'Americans whine about their incredibly cheap petrol prices' thread :mad2:

Yes, I am going to bring this up every time until everyone feels my rage

Levian
05-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes, just... ZIP IT, already.

ZIP IT!

rubah
05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
how many people drive SUVs and big trucks in the UK? I recall there being very few on the motorways around london, but I don't know about other areas than that (and this was two years ago).

NOT A RHETORICAL QUESTION GOSH just tell me plz:D?

ahem.

I last paid for gas on saturday (3.52) it proceded to go up to 3.66 about four hours later. It was a huge 'wtf?' moment.

I can't really walk anywhere because it takes an hour just to get down into town. A town that has a gas station, a sub shop, y poco màs. That's about 2.5 miles (mountain miles!)

I can't bike anywhere because I'd wear out my bike's brakes going down the mountain, and then I would be stranded unable to go back up.

[edit- and metafilter proves once again its impeccable timing by giving us this frontpage post: More than just a sore taint? | MetaFilter (http://www.metafilter.com/71656/More-than-just-a-sore-taint) ]

Jess
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh no, not another 'Americans whine about their incredibly cheap petrol prices' thread :mad2:

Seriously. :(

I put £10 of petrol in my car today at £1.12 per litre. :grr: It filled just a quarter of a tank. The prices are getting ridiculous, but I pay for it because I drive everywhere. The nearest shop to me is like 2 miles, and my college is about 14 miles away. My car is only little, and it's only a 1.3 engine so it eats petrol slower than others but I still need to fill up with £5-10 every 3-4 days. Arghhh! :mad2:

Miriel
05-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Is gas really so cheap in America compared to the rest of the world? I'm paying roughly $4 per gallon. It's costs me $60 to fill up my tank and that lasts me about a week. No matter which way you cut it, that's EXPENSIVE.

It's bike to work week in LA, and I read the sign and just burst out laughing. As if biking to places in LA was a feasible idea. If a subway system can't even function efficiently in LA, what makes them think bikes will? LA is too huge, too sprawling to get to where you need using just a bike. Plus, it was 90+ degrees in LA today. By friday it's supposed to be up to 100 degrees. Anyone who tries to bike any considerable distance in that condition is just asking for trouble.

I'm gonna keep paying the gas prices, as high as they are, because I have to. I have to drive. There's just no going around it.

rubah
05-15-2008, 12:08 AM
1.10p/L is about $8/gal, miriel (according to my rough google estimations)

Old Manus
05-15-2008, 12:13 AM
I put £10 of petrol in my car today at £1.12 per litre. :grr: It filled just a quarter of a tank. The prices are getting ridiculous, but I pay for it because I drive everywhere. The nearest shop to me is like 2 miles, and my college is about 14 miles away. My car is only little, and it's only a 1.3 engine so it eats petrol slower than others but I still need to fill up with £5-10 every 3-4 days. Arghhh! :mad2:Thank god I live in a sink town in South Wales where it's just over a quid

edczxcvbnm
05-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I take the train to work and walk to the train and then to the office as well...outside of that most things require me to drive to. Joy lives about 160ish miles away right now. My town is almost 100% residential(very few local shops...not even chain stuff!). The closest grocery store is about 2 miles away. If I want to do any sort of shopping then I am looking at about 5 miles. If I want good shopping I am going about 17 miles.

Living in the suburbs is awesome =D

Jess
05-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I put £10 of petrol in my car today at £1.12 per litre. :grr: It filled just a quarter of a tank. The prices are getting ridiculous, but I pay for it because I drive everywhere. The nearest shop to me is like 2 miles, and my college is about 14 miles away. My car is only little, and it's only a 1.3 engine so it eats petrol slower than others but I still need to fill up with £5-10 every 3-4 days. Arghhh! :mad2:Thank god I live in a sink town in South Wales where it's just over a quid
It was like £1.05 a week ago, but they've just put the prices up again by 7p. :mad2:

Yar
05-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Sadly, all of Ohio seems to have been designed with Gasoline in mind. We can't just stop using cars. :p Hopefully, non-gas cars become more popular, and thus, become cheaper.

Yup. I work 30 miles from my house. I have considered getting a job in town, but this town sucks. Besides, when I decide to go to college it'll be cheaper to commute 60 miles each day than to pay room and board.

If I still have my job when I go to college, I can be drivine 30 miles west, then 30 miles north for school, then 30 miles south to head home...

Mongotha
05-15-2008, 01:54 AM
I wasn't complaining. I was asking a question. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

My sympathies for the outrageous price of petrol on the other side of the pond. I'm a college student and $4/gallon is too much for me to pay, so this is how I've fixed it. If you can afford to pay the price, well and good, but if you're just looking for what you perceive as complaints from an American who has it SO much easier than you, this is the wrong thread to be looking in. I don't want to start a debate about who has it worse or better, because is that really going to solve anything? And who cares? It's all perception and opinion.

I hope we can now have a civil discussion.

Yar
05-15-2008, 02:03 AM
I wasn't complaining. I was asking a question. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

My sympathies for the outrageous price of petrol on the other side of the pond. I'm a college student and $4/gallon is too much for me to pay, so this is how I've fixed it. If you can afford to pay the price, well and good, but if you're just looking for what you perceive as complaints from an American who has it SO much easier than you, this is the wrong thread to be looking in. I don't want to start a debate about who has it worse or better, because is that really going to solve anything? And who cares? It's all perception and opinion.

I hope we can now have a civil discussion.

Ooh, that damned Eurotrash with their high "petrol" prices. I hate them so much.
Civil what, now?

Honestly, I'm glad I'm not paying $8 per gallon for gas like many Europeans. But sometimes they do not understand how devestating $4 gas is to our economy. The prices for gas has risen about 300% in the past decade, with much of that growth in the past 2~3 years. It's not just afecting gas but also food prices as well as a real estate crisis and recession on the brink of happening (officially anyway, we ARE in a recession despite what the government may tell you.)

Madame Adequate
05-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Is gas really so cheap in America compared to the rest of the world? I'm paying roughly $4 per gallon. It's costs me $60 to fill up my tank and that lasts me about a week. No matter which way you cut it, that's EXPENSIVE.

Given that a gallon of gas in my town averages $8.16? Yeah, it's cheap in America.

You guys gotta understand. You Americans are complaining about how high your gas prices are when they are, after significant increases, half of ours in the UK. Of course we're not going to give a crap when you complain, because you're still doing way, way better than we are. (I know Americans have to drive more than Brits do, but it's not like we have any kind of problem with cars over here in any way, shape, or form.)

Elite Lord Sigma
05-15-2008, 02:18 AM
I'm not old enough to drive, and most of the places I tend to go are within reasonable walking and biking distance, so it's a non-issue for me.

Mongotha
05-15-2008, 02:38 AM
Did you not read the post? I'm not complaining. If I lived in the U.K. I'd still ride my bike. I know that high gas is contributing to the sullen economy in the U.S. but none of those things really affect me. I don't have any debt, I'm not losing money in the stock market, and I'm not a home owner and I'm not looking to be anytime soon.

I'm not complaining. I enjoy riding my bike and I really enjoy saving money. Something just piqued my curiosity so I thought I'd ask a question. That's all it was, a harmless question. Harmless, non-hostile answers are all that I wanted in return.

fire_of_avalon
05-15-2008, 02:39 AM

ZIP IT!

Gas is 3.74 in North Carolina. That's about 1.90 GBP and 2.42 EUR.

So I don't want to hear your :skull::skull::skull::skull: anymore, fartfaces.

Rye
05-15-2008, 02:46 AM
I'm lucky that my car ended up being really great with gas. As of about 2 weeks ago, $20 dollars filled up pretty much half a tank. So it's $40 a tank! Pretty good!

Miriel
05-15-2008, 03:05 AM

Given that a gallon of gas in my town averages $8.16? Yeah, it's cheap in America.

You guys gotta understand. You Americans are complaining about how high your gas prices are when they are, after significant increases, half of ours in the UK. Of course we're not going to give a crap when you complain, because you're still doing way, way better than we are. (I know Americans have to drive more than Brits do, but it's not like we have any kind of problem with cars over here in any way, shape, or form.)
I don't understand this mentality. So if one person has a broken hand and another person has two broken hands, that means the first person has no right to complain? A sucky situation is a sucky situation, even if compared to WORSE things, it may not be that bad.

Gas prices may not be that high relative to what it is in Europe but gas prices have gone up so much that people here are STRUGGLING to pay for gas. Gas prices here have skyrocketed at a time when the economy is struggling, people are losing their jobs, and for a lot of people, money has become tight. So yeah, it's completely justified to complain about it. Even if gas prices are higher in the UK, at least it's not coupled with a recession over there as well.

Momiji
05-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Gas jumped to $3.97 here today. There is really nothing nearby to walk to, and I can't get a job because Indiana's job market is horrible. Add that to the recession, and I'm pretty much fucked.

So in other words, I'm stuck at home.

DMKA
05-15-2008, 03:59 AM
I have to work. I live in the middle of nowhere (as in, sticks, nada, nothing but horses, cows, and grass for 15 minutes in either direction). Gas is $3.69 now here.

I...I don't know what I'm going to do. It's getting to the point that I'm working just to pay for gas to get to work. =/

Shoeberto
05-15-2008, 04:48 AM
2 miles isn't really that far to bike if the roads are flat.

I think this summer I'm going to try to be really conservative on my gas for a lot of reasons. Biking into town isn't that big a deal (~2 miles in, all flat road, no major highways to cross). And of course I can just avoid driving. There's not much going on here worth going outside for, tbh.

rubah
05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Poor dimmkah! I guess <a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/54373-your-car.html#post943329">a lot changes</a> when you're banned.

Shlup
05-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Well, I like where I work just fine, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. And I can't ride a bike twenty miles, so gotta keep paying for the gas.

Freya
05-15-2008, 05:57 AM

I don't understand this mentality. So if one person has a broken hand and another person has two broken hands, that means the first person has no right to complain? A sucky situation is a sucky situation, even if compared to WORSE things, it may not be that bad.

Gas prices may not be that high relative to what it is in Europe but gas prices have gone up so much that people here are STRUGGLING to pay for gas. Gas prices here have skyrocketed at a time when the economy is struggling, people are losing their jobs, and for a lot of people, money has become tight. So yeah, it's completely justified to complain about it. Even if gas prices are higher in the UK, at least it's not coupled with a recession over there as well.
Yeah I agree with Miriel.

I drive 80-90 miles a day. I have to fill up every four days. that's like $50-60 every four days. On a 28 day month, driving every day with spending about $55, filling up every four days i'd spend $385 on gas. I'm not saying I have it worse, it's what I get for living on a ranch.

But yes MILF we do drive more. So your "petrol" may be high but our amount of driving should equate to about the same in the long run. SO can't we all collectively complain?

rubah
05-15-2008, 06:03 AM
Lekana, my math indicates that your driving nets you about 21 mpg. Is this because you drive fast or because you drive a big vehicle? (using an average of $3.5/gal based on where your IP says you live)

for what it's worth, my car would cost $259 a month to drive that much at arkansas gas prices

Namelessfengir
05-15-2008, 06:05 AM
i live up on a hill ten miles from town. i'd be fine going down, but going back up....

i work forty miles away and i get twenty miles a gallon. but its only the weekend so i can easily pay for it.

i could buy my own helicopter for a couple hundred bucks and im wondering what the upkeep on that would compare with my car. (yes i could, i could buy my own goddamn tank!!!! 300$) helicopter would be faster i know a good landing spot right next to my employer it would be quicker. i dont have to deal with traffic or cops. and who the fucks going to steal a helicopter???

Freya
05-15-2008, 06:06 AM
I has a Blazer, so an SUV. Plus it's hilly here in Wyoming D: I actually think I get 17 mpg. My bug broke otherwise i'd be getting a lot more.

o_O
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Wow. I thought New Zealand's petrol prices were bad.

At the moment we're paying $NZD1.90 for 91 octane, which is about $USD1.43, £0.74 or €0.92.

Sweet. :p

rubah
05-15-2008, 06:13 AM
If you're getting 17 mpg then I want to know where you're getting your $2.75 gas at xD

[edit- math junkie;

If you found a nice used cavalier that gets comparable mileage to mine for about 6.5K, then it'd only take 4 years of gas savings to make up for the purchase price! (the difference between $55 every 4 days and $37 every four days)

Freya
05-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Yeah it was 2.81 two weeks ago and I haven't got gas since then my daddy has xD. I think it's like 3.45 or something now :/

Gogo
05-15-2008, 06:37 AM
My parents pay for all my gas. :D Well, 35USD (18GBP) exactly fills the half tank I use every week for school and stuff. Being in southern California, I get to take freeways wherever I need to go, and everything's squished together here. :D You Uropians should sue for having such high... "fuel" costs.

So yes, I "pay" for gas with my gas allowance. Sure, it's worth it! :D I'm not biking to school every morning! It's not worth pocketing 35 bucks a week. Bikes can't go on freeways!

At the moment we're paying $NZD1.90 for 91 octane, which is about $USD1.43, £0.74 or €0.92.

D: That should be illegal. We should import gas from New Zealand. Trans-Pacific Gas Line, yes yes.

Clouded Sky
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks to going to a fairly small school I can bike wherever I really currently need to go. Whether that's to class or into town for groceries, biking is the way to go. It gets a little more difficult when the temperature is -20 or -35 with windchill and ice is everywhere. Then you just have to tough it and walk.

Next year I'll be living in Tokyo, and probably an hour from school. Instead of paying for gas, I'll be paying train fares!

DMKA
05-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Poor dimmkah! I guess <a href="http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/54373-your-car.html#post943329">a lot changes</a> when you're banned.

....stop it. xD

Mongotha
05-15-2008, 07:03 AM
i could buy my own helicopter for a couple hundred bucks and im wondering what the upkeep on that would compare with my car. (yes i could, i could buy my own goddamn tank!!!! 300$) helicopter would be faster i know a good landing spot right next to my employer it would be quicker. i dont have to deal with traffic or cops. and who the smurfs going to steal a helicopter???

Where on earth do you get a helicopter for $300?

rubah
05-15-2008, 07:11 AM
....stop it. xD

I just happened to read that thread a couple of weeks ago so it was fresh on the mind xD

Levian
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM

ZIP IT!

STOP! In the name of gas~

You can't do that! A gallon doesn't equal a litre. What Jess and Milf has been saying in this thread was measured in litres.

FINE, I'll do some maths even if it's before noon. :mad2:

Gas price in norway: 12,55 kr/litre
In dollars: 2,45/litre
In gallons: 9,2855

So we pay 9,28 dollars per gallon. Of course, this all have to be seen in relation to wages, so maybe, just maybe, it's not that cheap in the US anyway.

Big D
05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Whenever possible, I travel by bicycle, foot, or bus. I still have to drive somewhere at least once a week, though.

Madame Adequate
05-15-2008, 12:11 PM

That is an absolutely ridiculous analogy, Miriel, and you know it. The situation for the US and Europe is nothing like crippling physical injuries.

You asked whether, given how expensive things are in America right now, there is actually such a big difference between you and Europe. I answered. I tried to explain why Europeans don't give a crap when they hear Americans complain about high gas prices - it's because we've already been living with much, much higher for a very long time, and we've survived just fine. That's all.

As for recession: UK facing recession says Bank boss Mervyn King - Mirror.co.uk (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/15/uk-facing-recession-says-bank-boss-mervyn-king-89520-20417913/) The whole world is facing economic crisis right now, and as one of the US's closest partners, the UK is at more risk than most. If you think Britain isn't currently facing a whole heck of a lot of financial difficulties, you're grossly uninformed. There are massive problems over here, to the point where it (Among other things) is severely damaging the government's status.

fire_of_avalon
05-15-2008, 01:13 PM

ZIP IT!

You can't do that! A gallon doesn't equal a litre. What Jess and Milf has been saying in this thread was measured in litres.

So we pay 9,28 dollars per gallon. Of course, this all have to be seen in relation to wages, so maybe, just maybe, it's not that cheap in the US anyway.
OH. Well you should stop using the metric system, then!

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
It's a bad situation. It just so happens America doesn't have it quite as bad as some other guys. The rising gasoline prices represent the fact that the materials required to make gasoline are scarce. (Or gasoline companies are taking advantage of the high demand.)

Aerith's Knight
05-15-2008, 03:37 PM
America just bitches more about gas, but people actually pay so much less then most of the countries.

I think the current gas price is $6,30 a gallon in the netherlands.

So everybody should just stop bitching about it. Yes, you pay more for it. Yes, it has been the highest ever.

But have you ever thought about just not getting parking tickets and not busting up your car? That could save a lot more than the money that you loose on gas.

And of course cycling is better, but if there arent any cycling paths(as it is in the US), that cycling becomes absolutely dangerous for the 99.9% that are driving. I'd rather have someone driving more careful then taking a bike every day.

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey now, not all of us suck at driving. :mad:

Aerith's Knight
05-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Did I say everyone? If so, my bad. There are people who have an expensive enough car that they dont want to break it. :p

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
No problem, really. :tongue:

Breine
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM

ZIP IT!

The prices in Denmark are pretty much the same as in Norway. It's expensive, yes, but I don't have a driving licence.. so, I don't really care that much :p

Momiji
05-15-2008, 04:57 PM

ZIP IT!

OH. Well you should stop using the metric system, then!

You need to check your PMs more, foa.

Miriel
05-15-2008, 05:53 PM
That is an absolutely ridiculous analogy, Miriel, and you know it. The situation for the US and Europe is nothing like crippling physical injuries.

How is it ridiculous? Americans bitch about gas prices because they are so high right now that it is hurting people financially. People outside of America are bitching about Americans bitching because they feel they have it worse. The analogy fits like a freakin' glove.

Just cause other people have it worse doesn't mean that Americans shouldn't be bitching. Like I said before, any way you cut it, things have gotten REALLY expensive for people to buy gas. This is just like when I bitched about how San Francisco has the most expensive real estate in the nation and how difficult it was to get decent home for a decent price and people came back with "blah blah, you can't bitch, housing is even MORE expensive in the UK!!!!"

Just cause other people have it more difficult doesn't automatically cancel out the difficulty of people who may have it slightly better. Ugh. Why can't people get that? I don't get why people always have to one up each other.

Old Manus
05-15-2008, 06:11 PM
It's a bad situation. It just so happens America is having their years of cheap petrol come back on themFixed :monster:

edczxcvbnm
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Actually...you guys have cheap gas also. Your government just rips you off XD

Fuel Tax - PetrolPrices.com (http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html) That is what I base my crappy 3 seconds of analysis on. That your liter of gas is about 60% tax or something crazy like that. Tax for us is something really low. On $4 a gallon I think tax in Illinios is probably makes up 10% of that.

Our higher prices are due to market. If our government charged 60% for taxes on the price we still wouldn't be as high as you guys are but we wouldn't be a lot closer.

Please correct and inform me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Also, we don't have leaded gas over here. I recall a few years ago when I was in england, you guys had leaded gas at your stations. I am not sure if any place in the USA has leaded gas still. I have never seen it. Just a different observation that may or may not have anything to do with the price.

Namelessfengir
05-15-2008, 07:53 PM
i could buy my own helicopter for a couple hundred bucks and im wondering what the upkeep on that would compare with my car. (yes i could, i could buy my own goddamn tank!!!! 300$) helicopter would be faster i know a good landing spot right next to my employer it would be quicker. i dont have to deal with traffic or cops. and who the smurfs going to steal a helicopter???

army surplus for the tank.
and its like 300 for a heli kit that your would build yourself

Mongotha
05-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Oh. That makes sense. That'd be sweet to build your own helicopter.

Jojee
05-15-2008, 09:55 PM

You! You need to die! *kills* xD

Yeah, I'm getting a car this weekend so I'll be suffering the like $4 gas prices soon. I'll cry and whine for sure ^_^

rubah
05-16-2008, 01:52 AM
I think face was talking about liters, in which case that price is very reasonable by european standards and laughable by american, but was he really?! :O

Lawr
05-16-2008, 02:25 AM
When gas is $4.00 in MichAGAIN, you are left with the decisions of either filling your tank, or eating.

Big D
05-16-2008, 02:37 AM
To fill the tank on an average car in my country now costs about NZ$100, which is roughly US$76. Double suckage for me, since I drive a swish 1970s car that runs on high-octane fuel that's about 10c per litre more expensive.

Madame Adequate
05-16-2008, 03:44 AM

How is it ridiculous? Americans bitch about gas prices because they are so high right now that it is hurting people financially. People outside of America are bitching about Americans bitching because they feel they have it worse. The analogy fits like a freakin' glove.

Just cause other people have it worse doesn't mean that Americans shouldn't be bitching. Like I said before, any way you cut it, things have gotten REALLY expensive for people to buy gas. This is just like when I bitched about how San Francisco has the most expensive real estate in the nation and how difficult it was to get decent home for a decent price and people came back with "blah blah, you can't bitch, housing is even MORE expensive in the UK!!!!"

Just cause other people have it more difficult doesn't automatically cancel out the difficulty of people who may have it slightly better. Ugh. Why can't people get that? I don't get why people always have to one up each other.

Uh... because when we're paying twice as much as you are, and have been for ages, and we're not starving because if it, it's hard to see how it can be difficult for you? This isn't one-upmanship. We're not saying "We have it worse so STFU". We're saying "We have it worse and we're perfectly fine so STFU".

Jojee
05-16-2008, 03:53 AM
You don't really have it so much worse though. I dunno what wages are like in the UK, but isn't minimum wage for Britain like 5.32 pounds? Whereas minimum wage in USA is 5.75 dollars, so your gas SHOULD be almost double ours if we're comparing how hard it is for people :3

Roto13
05-16-2008, 03:56 AM
Gas where I live is 1.29 per litre, which is roughly 5.17 per gallon if my maths are correctish.

Namelessfengir
05-16-2008, 04:40 AM

Oh. That makes sense. That'd be sweet to build your own helicopter.

i read about it in an airplane mag a decade ago and i looked it up today and there is a four seater for $100000

Miriel
05-16-2008, 04:51 AM
Uh... because when we're paying twice as much as you are, and have been for ages, and we're not starving because if it, it's hard to see how it can be difficult for you? This isn't one-upmanship. We're not saying "We have it worse so STFU". We're saying "We have it worse and we're perfectly fine so STFU".

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about "people are struggling." You guys are fine over there, so good for you. Gas prices here are putting a financial strain on people and THAT'S why they complain. Obviously if people are saying that they're fine with their gas prices then you're not in a worse position despite the higher price of gas. The person in the worse position is the one who is having a rough time paying for gas.

When gas went up to $3 I didn't complain. You know why? Cause I could still afford it. Other people couldn't, but I could, so whatever. But gas has gotten to the point that it really has become a financial burden for me. I drive a LOT. Tomorrow I have a job at a location that's 50 miles from where I live. Going and coming should eat up half my tank (factoring in traffic). It's not rare for me to fill up twice a week. $120 a week on gas is NOT ok. I don't give a :skull::skull::skull::skull: if someone across the world pays $100 per gallon because that has nothing to do with me. I'm concerned with what I'm paying and how much it's hurting me financially. If I were rich, I wouldn't be complaining about $4 gas. I wouldn't even complain about $10 gas as long as I could comfortably afford it.

People aren't complaining because gas is $4 a gallon now. People are complaining because gas prices are $4 a gallon and it's getting harder and harder to pay for the cost of gas. I will complain about gas directly in relationship to how much it affects ME, not how much better or worse it is somewhere else in the world.

Aerith's Knight
05-16-2008, 05:37 AM
I live in America and as a foreigner I can say that gas isnt the problem. Food is. Did you know that a freaking bread costs $3,50 here? I spend 80 dollars a month on gas(split in two with my roommate) and about 400 dollar a month on food(usually more).

Do you know how much that is? Seeing as i get paid in dollars, converting it correctly taking into account what it would cost in the netherlands, I wouldnt spend more then 200 dollar a month on food.

I say the problem isnt the gas, if it is, you are using way too much.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 05:39 AM
I live in America and as a foreigner I can say that gas isnt the problem. Food is. Did you know that a freaking bread costs $3,50 here? I spend 80 dollars a month on gas(split in two with my roommate) and about 400 dollar a month on food(usually more).

Do you know how much that is? Seeing as i get paid in dollars, converting it correctly taking into account what it would cost in the netherlands, I wouldnt spend more then 200 dollar a month on food.

How on earth do you spend $400 a month on food? I live in a family of 4 and we hardly spend $300 a month on food.

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah, $400 is a bit much to be spending! Look for some cheaper bread. :p

Aerith's Knight
05-16-2008, 05:42 AM

How on earth do you spend $400 a month on food? I live in a family of 4 and we hardly spend $300 a month on food.

Grocery shopping: $100 every two weeks. so $200
Lunch: 5 times $10 dollar every week, so $200

total: $400

doesnt even include beer and such.

And the bread is the only bread that is actually edible. The rest of them all taste like rubber. But im probably spoiled by the good tasting bread that isnt a taboo in holland.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Grocery shopping: $100 every two weeks. so $200
Lunch: 5 times $10 dollar every week, so $200

total: $400

doesnt even include beer and such.

You'd save a lot of money by not going out to eat so much. :p

Aerith's Knight
05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
You try working 9-10 hours a day on a sandwich. Plus, you just need that time to eat with friends or you'll go nuts.

Gogo
05-16-2008, 05:47 AM
I do think the whole economy-thing should be factored in. The minimum wage comparison puts it in light.

You don't really have it so much worse though. I dunno what wages are like in the UK, but isn't minimum wage for Britain like 5.32 pounds? Whereas minimum wage in USA is 5.75 dollars, so your gas SHOULD be almost double ours if we're comparing how hard it is for people :3
Ahaha, California's minimum wage is 8 bucks. :P Silly Wyoming.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 05:56 AM
You try working 9-10 hours a day on a sandwich. Plus, you just need that time to eat with friends or you'll go nuts.

I haven't been out to eat with a friend for about 2 months now, and I'm still remotely sane. :p

edczxcvbnm
05-16-2008, 05:58 AM
I usually go downtown to work...and drink water at work XD I don't eat much and the cheapness in my will not allow me to spend 10 a day on lunch. It just isn't in me to spend that much.

Pack a sandwich and bring it to work! Try fasting XD

Aerith's Knight
05-16-2008, 05:59 AM

I haven't been out to eat with a friend for about 2 months now, and I'm still remotely sane. :p

So you spend 9-10 hours a day in a 12 x 20 feet lab with no social contact whatsoever, munching happily on your rubber sandwiches in the half hour lunch break?

...okay then.

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 06:03 AM
You don't just have to eat to have social contact. :p We can all be hungry together.

But now I'm more hungry. Thanks guys.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 06:10 AM

So you spend 9-10 hours a day in a 12 x 20 feet lab with no social contact whatsoever, munching happily on your rubber sandwiches in the half hour lunch break?

...okay then.

No, I stay home 24/7 because I can't afford to go anywhere and no local places are hiring or even considering applications. I eat pretty much when I want, and it is often a sandwich or cold cereal for lunch.

I don't enjoy it, but I deal with it. ;)

rubah
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM

man jojo, I made fifty cents more than that flipping burgers* two years ago! if you're making that much then you're in a sad situation indeed.

*well, making milkshakes. same diff.

Jojee
05-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Hey, I don't have a minimum wage job :p Neither do most people. And neither do most people in Britain, I think. xD I make at least $10/hr, meaning if I work full time 400/wk, minus taxes umm I dunno, 350/wk? So, if I spend even $60 or whatever a full tank is in gas in a week, then yeah that's too much. xD Seeing as how I'd have rent, food, other stuff as well. Good thing my parents cover most of that :p

(I don't work full time currently though xD I will starting June 9th)

PS I don't live in Wyoming xD And I'm talking federal minimum wage :p

Jess
05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I think these are our current minimum wages:
Workers aged 22 and over: £5.52 an hour
Workers aged 18 to 21: £4.60 an hour
Workers aged 16 and 17: £3.40 an hour.

escobert
05-16-2008, 12:41 PM
I walk most of the time :p
It's about $3.70 here for gas. I have been driving this last week but, it's a small car that gets 30 miles to the gallon and costs about $35 to fill up :D

Jiro
05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Fuel in my area is like $1.60AUD per litre. It's crap, seeing as I have to travel to uni and back thrice a week, as well as sport, work and school. And the fact that my uni is so far away, takes me 35 minutes to get there.

Madame Adequate
05-16-2008, 06:02 PM

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about "people are struggling." You guys are fine over there, so good for you. Gas prices here are putting a financial strain on people and THAT'S why they complain. Obviously if people are saying that they're fine with their gas prices then you're not in a worse posi<b></b>tion despite the higher price of gas. The person in the worse posi<b></b>tion is the one who is having a rough time paying for gas.

When gas went up to $3 I didn't complain. You know why? Cause I could still afford it. Other people couldn't, but I could, so whatever. But gas has gotten to the point that it really has become a financial burden for me. I drive a LOT. Tomorrow I have a job at a location that's 50 miles from where I live. Going and coming should eat up half my tank (factoring in traffic). It's not rare for me to fill up twice a week. $120 a week on gas is NOT ok. I don't give a :skull::skull::skull::skull: if someone across the world pays $100 per gallon because that has nothing to do with me. I'm concerned with what I'm paying and how much it's hurting me financially. If I were rich, I wouldn't be complaining about $4 gas. I wouldn't even complain about $10 gas as long as I could comfortably afford it.

People aren't complaining because gas is $4 a gallon now. People are complaining because gas prices are $4 a gallon and it's getting harder and harder to pay for the cost of gas. I will complain about gas directly in relationship to how much it affects ME, not how much better or worse it is somewhere else in the world.

Whoa, hey, look. You asked if gas really was that expensive. I said yes and explained why, and I explained why folks in Europe see Americans as having little or no legitimate concerns here. I don't know why you're so ball-breakingly defensive over this.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 06:38 PM

I really don't get what's so hard to understand about "people are struggling." You guys are fine over there, so good for you. Gas prices here are putting a financial strain on people and THAT'S why they complain. Obviously if people are saying that they're fine with their gas prices then you're not in a worse posi<b></b>tion despite the higher price of gas. The person in the worse posi<b></b>tion is the one who is having a rough time paying for gas.

Whoa, hey, look. You asked if gas really was that expensive. I said yes and explained why, and I explained why folks in Europe see Americans as having little or no legitimate concerns here. I don't know why you're so ball-breakingly defensive over this.

To sum up what Miriel's saying without the ferociousness, it's gotten to the point where people like myself can not make a profit or get jobs because we'd be spending more on gas just to get TO the job, to the point where we cannot afford necessities. A lot (and I mean a LOT) of jobs are being cut here, and if the price of gas rises, so does the price of everything else. That's why a lot of people here are complaining, Hux.

Mirage
05-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Walking is too time consuming. I'd use my bike, but it got stolen years ago, so now I'm stuck with public transportation. I plan on buying a new bike real soon though.

Madame Adequate
05-16-2008, 10:03 PM
To sum up what Miriel's saying without the ferociousness, it's gotten to the point where people like myself can not make a profit or get jobs because we'd be spending more on gas just to get TO the job, to the point where we cannot afford necessities. A lot (and I mean a LOT) of jobs are being cut here, and if the price of gas rises, so does the price of everything else. That's why a lot of people here are complaining, Hux.

Yeah, I get that. Fuck me, I'm not answering questions anymore, everyone just assumes that my answer is my opinion. I wasn't telling anyone how I felt, I'm fully aware that different cirucmstances mean different consequences from changes like this, I was just explaining that... yes, gas is more expensive elsewhere. I just answered that and tried to explain why Europeans tend not to be interested in hearing Americans' complaints on this matter. I already explained as much:

You asked whether, given how expensive things are in America right now, there is actually such a big difference between you and Europe. I answered. I tried to explain why Europeans don't give a crap when they hear Americans complain about high gas prices - it's because we've already been living with much, much higher for a very long time, and we've survived just fine. That's all.

Now you can take from this whatever you want, but don't vent your frustration over European ignorance at me, because my efforts to explain why Europeans feel the way they do is a very far cry from how I myself feel.

Rye
05-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow, gas is such serious business. It sucks, but it's a cost of living for most people, and it always will be. It will always go up. Maybe not as rapidly as it has been, but prices raise to meet the raising wages. If I can afford to get gas every week, and still pay for car insurance and gym bills, and things I need/want during the week on my minimum wage job that gives me FOUR hours a week, then I'm sure other people can afford it with their real full-time jobs, despite their rent and such.

It's expensive here. It's expensive in Europe. Get over it. Instead of fighting about it on an Final Fantasy message board, if it's such a big issue to you, then go call your legislators, find ways to support alternative fuel research, and actually try to make a change. :monster:

Caraliz
05-17-2008, 01:54 AM
money makes me a grumpy old woman. Especially for the way things are in the place I just moved. You can't really walk anywhere where something is moderately priced. You gotta drive. But gas and cars are expensive in regards to our budget so it's kind of like a never ending loop of :skull::skull::skull::skull:. I hate it.

Marshall Banana
05-17-2008, 05:13 AM
My neighbors will, like, start stealing from each other, if gas prices continue to climb.