PDA

View Full Version : The Oz Books

Rostum
05-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Has anyone read any of these books? There's a lot of them, they started in 1900 with L. Frank Baum, and through a range of authors (including Baum's great grandson) they are still being written.

I don't know much about these books, except for what I've read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oz_books). It'd be nice to see if anyone has read them and could give a good opinion about them to see if I could be bothered reading them. (By the way, this has made me want to go back and watch Return to Oz, as it is closer to the books than The Wizard of Oz)

Anyway, discuss whatever you want about them.

rubah
05-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I've read probably a dozen of them!

is return to oz the one where dorothy's grandkid goes to oz and stuff? I think I have that one.

Anyways, oz books that I've read
1. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900):
2. The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904)
3. Ozma of Oz (1907)
4. Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908)
7. The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1913)
8. Tik-Tok of Oz (1914)
10. Rinkitink in Oz (1916)
11. The Lost Princess of Oz (1917)
13. The Magic of Oz (1919)

I'm not sure about some, but I'm almost positive I have read at least those. You can be pretty sure that if the Shaggy Man is in them, it'll be a good book. At least, I like him a lot! Rinkitink was my favorite for a long time, but it's not so much oz as a fantasy novel in its own right where oz is shoved in at the end.

ozma of oz is pretty good, except when I read it I was like 'wtf?' because I didn't read the one before it then and didn't know who ozma was xD so I kinda thought she was a stuck up snob for a while xD

actually, a lot of the girls get kinda snobby. he makes out that there is no money and no unhappiness in oz, but why are there still social classes? the princesses make a big deal about riding out to mingle with the common folk, except do the common folk have a saw horse or a red wagon to take a load off their feet?

but I think they're worth reading xD

oh, yeah I think I have read the road to oz also. i just forgot because it was a 99c walmart paperback (with a gorgeous cover!) i think it's actually one of my favorites too, so at least read it.

Rostum
05-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Cool! I think I might start collecting them and reading them here and there. They sound very weird and at least some a lot cooler in terms of fantasy, than your typical elves, dwarves, small people, orcs, etc.

When I was little I remember I used to like Return To Oz (1985 movie), because it wasn't a musical and it was a lot darker than the original. I believe it's a collaboration of a few of the books, mixed with some of the original movie's elements. It's the same Dorothy that visits, except she is 9 years old in the movie (which is closer to the books apparently, and the original movie she was 16 years old which isn't true to the books).

But yeah... Thanks Rubah, I will definitely look into them if you suggest them.