PDA

View Full Version : Which Final Fantasy do YOU want to see remade?

Obsidian
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Love them or hate them, Final Fantasy remakes are here to stay and are steadily becoming more ambitious. What started with overhauls of FFI and II has now led us to a fully 3D, voiced over, and significantly expanded FFIV. And then there is all the controversy (not to mention ambiguous teasing) over a FFVII remake. I am of the opinion that we WILL see a VII remake, simply because it is logical to believe that Square-Enix will continue to grow and evolve its remake trend. ;)

So which game do you want to see remade (or re-remade) and what features would you expect to see? Here are a few points I came up with upon pondering.

-Final Fantasy VI. Frankly, I would die of heart failure induced by multiple joygasms if this was remade for the PS3. Like most fanboys, I would love to see the final Sephiroth encounter in Advent Children-vision... But I think I would break down and sob at a fully-rendered final battle with Kefka in the clouds, complete with a fully-orchestrated Dancing Mad...

-Don't you get the feeling that (virtually) the SAME versions of Final Fantasy I and II have been re-issued way too many times? Enough already! The footage of Dissidia shows us that Amano's designs can indeed be realized in 3D. They should play with that idea more, and take it a step further. Imagine hand-drawn game like Okami... But with Amano art. Now imagine a next-gen remake of FFI and/or II with settings and characters that look EXACTLY like his concept art!

-I know it's hard to imagine how to expand upon games after VII, but you can brainstorm if you want to.

-A new Mystic Quest. On Wii. Don't ask; that's just my nostalgia talking. :cry:

Karellen
05-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Any FF game that a) anyone would want to play again and b) would benefit from a remake has already been remade. If SE is still desperate to bleed their IP's dry, they should remake Xenogears.

NeoCracker
05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
I'd like to see FF IV-VI on something like the PS3, so long as they use the, for the most part, the GBA versions script. (Kefka's Final Speech from the SNES version is a must though.)

And FF VII, with a completely updated script so that the games plot and story will read smoother and clearer then the original.

FF VIII needs to be broken completely down and, using many of the same concepts, build it back up from scratch, but try not to :skull::skull::skull::skull: all over them this time around.

FF IX as well, just because I'm always for making awesome games look better, while keeping there awesome story intact.

KentaRawr!
05-15-2008, 05:20 PM
One that actually suffered due to Hardware limitations. :3

ljkkjlcm9
05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Chrono Trigger... Wait what?

Of the FF games, I'm not really sure. There's so much to FFV and FFVI, I think they might go overboard if they try to make them 3-D. FFVI would have a lot more to live up to, so FFV would probably be a safer road for them.

THE JACKEL

PeneloRatsbane
05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
I would love to see VI remade but they have to make the characters look more like the originals.
No blonde Terra and Celes with thicker longer hair, unlike the openin video in the ps version.

VII would be heaven, Yuffie and Vincent tho? what do u think? kept as secret characters or getting full character status?
I sorta would want them properly but it was fun hunting them down, maybe still have those parts but instigated into the story so u have to get them.

unfinished fantasy
05-15-2008, 10:56 PM
For the love of his noodly appendage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster) - please never do FFVI in 3D.
I can only see the point in visual upgrade of FFVII to get rid of Popeye physique.

ReloadPsi
05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
The footage of Dissidia shows us that Amano's designs can indeed be realized in 3D.

To a limited extent. The 3D modeling staff still had to visualise and come up with a face for each character, since all of Amano's faces look identical, regardless of gender.

I did want to see FFIV remade in more detail, but there's just one problem: it happened after I generally lost interest in the gaming scene as a whole, and I am not buying a DS just for the one game :p Sorry d00ds!

FFVII is very, very dangerous ground for Squeenix to tread on. If they remake the game, people will bitch. If they don't remake the game, people will bitch. If they remake the game and change anything, people will bitch. If they remake the game and don't change anything, people will bitch. They've accidentally pushed themselves into a bit of a catch 22 situation by making the compilation games and by showing off that tech demo (which we now know to have been the then un-implemented ending to Crisis Core). I feel sorry for any FF7 fans who were also Star Wars fans that hated those three prequels, having to basically re-live the whole experience again :p Actually I doubt they care.

PeneloRatsbane
05-16-2008, 11:36 PM
i would want VI fully done to the level of XII, so it looks great, not a ds remake, i want a proper one. cos III for the DS is fun but no proper FMV's during the game
thats something i love about XII:RW, that there are intimitent FMV scenes

Bolivar
05-17-2008, 12:18 AM
FFII. There's so much they could do with it. There's many opportunities to recreate many of the events in cinematic glory, and the score was really ahead of its time.

I think VII, VIII, and IX could all benefit from a makeover. Looking back, the characters are notably rugged (presentation-wise) and the framerates could seriously benefit from an upgrade. Seeing it even in PS2, FFX-esque presentation would allow for it to be much more polished and considerably smoother.

I think it's funny that when SE decided to remake an Amano-designed FF into 3d, they get Akihiko Yoshida to design the characters. Only to do it again for IV.

Vermachtnis
05-17-2008, 01:53 AM
I wanna see V with voice acting and his name as Butz. Or just his normal name. I wanna see some of the costumes in 3D though. And flying around on the dragon would be awesome.

unfinished fantasy
05-17-2008, 02:06 AM
i would want VI fully done to the level of XII, so it looks great, not a ds remake, i want a proper one. cos III for the DS is fun but no proper FMV's during the game
thats something i love about XII:RW, that there are intimitent FMV scenesWhat exactly do pre-rendered cinematic cut scenes add to FFVI? Was playstation port somehow better than SNES version solely because of FMV?

I think VII, VIII, and IX could all benefit from a makeover. Looking back, the characters are notably rugged (presentation-wise) and the framerates could seriously benefit from an upgrade...Didn't they play at stable 60fps (NTSC) or 50fps (PAL)? Can you specify what was wrong with framerate?

PeneloRatsbane
05-17-2008, 12:55 PM
umm i dunno pure eye candy, its just such a cinematic story and i love it as it is but it would be great to see it all polished
I think the playstation FMV's suck a little on VI so id like to see them do it properly.

ReloadPsi
05-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I think the playstation FMV's suck a little on VI so id like to see them do it properly.

The one where they made random clips showing about seven of the characters and didn't apparently have time to give Locke a face? Yeah, those were a bit disappointing. It was otherwise very satisfying to see at least that much though, but we could so have done with seeing more :(

Big D
05-18-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm gonna be oh-so-uncool by saying FFVII. It'd be a great chance to fix the translation bugs, and it'd be neat to see the entire story in a consistent graphical style. As long as a remake didn't try to re-write, re-interpret or outright buggerize the original in any way...

Also: Vagrant Story. It's beautiful enough on the old PSX, so the entire thing in seamless 3D would be marvelous. And with high-quality voice acting that befits the brilliant dialogue.

Remedy
05-18-2008, 11:24 AM
remade? you mean with better graphics? then Final Fantasy VIII is my choice.

if you mean another game release ..like continuing the story ..I would say Final Fantasy X
I would love to see Squall Leon Heart and Tidus in new chapter & new adventure.

Obsidian
05-18-2008, 03:15 PM
remade? you mean with better graphics? then Final Fantasy VIII is my choice.

if you mean another game release ..like continuing the story ..I would say Final Fantasy X
I would love to see Squall Leon Heart and Tidus in new chapter & new adventure.

I have a real love/hate relationship with FF continuations. One of the qualities of the franchise that I have always revered is that, until recently, each main game has always told a completely rounded off story that does not lend itself to a sequel. But on the other hand... I ended up thuroughly enjoying all of the sequels brought about by demand, such as FFV Legend of the Crystals and the entire FFVII revival .

Wolf Kanno
05-20-2008, 06:37 AM
The Okami style remake with Amano designs would be awesome for FFI-III especially since all three games could be easily expanded upon a bit.

V and VI are my top choices, even though I have a good feeling both will receive a nice DS remake I would still love a Next-Gen take on the games with the GBA scripts. VII can be remade only to shut up the fanboys until the next generation of consoles ;though I hope its a faithful remake (with better game balance) and not some shlop trying to fit in the "Craptacular Compilation" into the storyline. The original was good the sequels/prequels suck and fail to add anything to the story... For VIII and IX, I agree with NeoCracker... X should never be remade...:mad:

Bolivar
05-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I think VII, VIII, and IX could all benefit from a makeover. Looking back, the characters are notably rugged (presentation-wise) and the framerates could seriously benefit from an upgrade...Didn't they play at stable 60fps (NTSC) or 50fps (PAL)? Can you specify what was wrong with framerate?

Well, I don't exactly think anything was necessarily "wrong" with the framerate, to clarify I just think even a PS2 remake would go a long way in smoothing out the gameplay. The only aspect of these 3 games (FFVII-IX) in which the framerate seemed lacking was in the battles, apprently this guy Ben (http://archive.gamespy.com/articles/september03/25overrated/index20.shtml) claims that FFVII's battles ran at 15 fps. Yeah.

Here's a clip from FFIX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odnrrMvE2Z8&feature=related), I think you can notice that in certain parts it gets more choppy than others, and with certain animations, such as Madeen summon or Flare, the framerate is noticeably faster than the surrounding battle. Not really a big deal, but with better graphics it would go to enhancing the gameplay experience.

V and VI are my top choices, even though I have a good feeling both will receive a nice DS remake

Not to pick a fight, but this is a misconception that I don't see happening. The FFIII and IV DS remakes were projects headed up by Hiromichi Tanaka and his development division because he's the one who made those games. I just don't see Yoshinori Kitase going for DS-remakes of any of his works. edit: Hiroyuki Ito, maybe, but I think they'd both have to be on board for V & VI.

Breine
05-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I like all of the games just the way they are, but if I had to choose one I guess I'd say Final Fantasy VI. Just because it's such a good game, and it'd be kinda nice to try and play it in 3D.

Trance_Kuja
05-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I would love a CGI IX film, or a IX sequal. Heck I wouldn't mind a IX remake as long as the chibiness stayed (like using the rendered character images as the in game models).

In other words I want Square to give IX more loving (Dissidia with Kuja and Zidane is insta win btw).

NeoCracker
05-24-2008, 06:14 PM
Okay, lets try not giving IX a sequel... Ever.

Under any circumstances.

I would be willing to become Christian to prevent that from happening.

Raebus
05-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Under any circumstances.

Pretty much what I was going to say. No to a sequel for IX.

ReloadPsi
05-24-2008, 08:24 PM

Under any circumstances.

Pretty much what I was going to say. No to a sequel for IX.

I second third this. IX's fine the way it is.

Wolf Kanno
05-25-2008, 12:17 AM
V and VI are my top choices, even though I have a good feeling both will receive a nice DS remake

Not to pick a fight, but this is a misconception that I don't see happening. The FFIII and IV DS remakes were projects headed up by Hiromichi Tanaka and his development division because he's the one who made those games. I just don't see Yoshinori Kitase going for DS-remakes of any of his works. edit: Hiroyuki Ito, maybe, but I think they'd both have to be on board for V & VI.

None taken, but then again I feel it would be more cost effective to let Matrix use their system to create remakes rather than have them build something from scratch Its just a possibility. Personally though, I would rather have both these games given a PS2 (or even PSP) 3D remakes than a DS one but I have been quite impressed with the work done on III and IV :D

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 12:21 AM
I would hate it so much if they made a sequel/ remake to FFIX and it sucked. I would just be so scared. Although if they did a remake well, I would love it.

I wanna see FFVI remade. Kefka sounds like a cool villain and I have yet to play this game.

Obsidian
06-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Making a realisticly rendered Kefka would probably be the trickiest thing for a VI remake to accomplish. His iconic little laugh would have to be changed, and that alone would fans everywhere throw fits and spill Mountain Dew all over their Yoda shirts.

rubah
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
oh can you imagine the beautiful character models for ff8.... ooooooooooooooooooooooooh *swoons*

PeneloRatsbane
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
fourthed about the IX sequel, its the one that when i was finished with it i thought "okay great that was brill but its done now"
VIII can't see how they would go about it, the only plausable storyline would be for Rinoa to loose it and i think that would be sad.

VII, i'd just like a lil bit of finallity and for Shelke to die, she isn't proper avalanche so she can bite it, or at least for Shalua to wake up and take her, i only liked Shelke at the parts with her and Shalua interacting and that was like a minutes worth.
or a proper game with all the world the way it should be, and maybe with more focus on Wutai and gold saucer oh and Junon.

DarkLadyNyara
06-02-2008, 12:44 AM
I would love to see a good remake of FFII. Not just a "let's update the graphics a bit and add an extra dungeon" like they did with the PSP version, but actually expanding the story and the characters. Because there is a lot of room for fleshing out. (Hell, if nothing else, they could actually explain SoR) And I'd kill to see the whole game in 3D. Unfortunatly, they won't do it. :(

FFVII needs a remake. If only because it's too damn difficult to find that game now. Seriously. The prices on Amazon start at $60. Used. Also, there are some errors with the translation, and the graphics make my eyes bleed could use an upgrade.

A remake of IX would be nice. A sequel? Not so much. Not with Square's track record.

Crescennt
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
-Final Fantasy VI. Frankly, I would die of heart failure induced by multiple joygasms if this was remade for the PS3. Like most fanboys, I would love to see the final Sephiroth encounter in Advent Children-vision... But I think I would break down and sob at a fully-rendered final battle with Kefka in the clouds, complete with a fully-orchestrated Dancing Mad...

I totally agree with this.

Personally I would love that better than a FFVII remake for the PS3. We have seen quite a lot of that game lately and the graphics of the original are not nearly as outdated as FFVI's.

Wouldn't it be awesome to see all the characters in 3D? And then not for a simple movie like the Anthology version, but constantly?

Ultros in 3D would be great fun :cool:

LunarWeaver
09-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I want to see FFVII remade, ta-dah! It would be very sexyback, and I would be so excited to replay it with updated this-and-that because it is my second favorite game in the series. It would also give me great threads on this forum of people acting like Square killed Jesus for a 2nd time :kaohappy2 Huge arguments that always end up getting closed are the bestie best.

Elskidor
09-18-2008, 10:45 PM
FFVI

Elskidor
09-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Final Fantasy V needs a remake too, but I'd prefer VI to get it. I'm an FF junkie, and VI is my drug of choice. Yet, V needs ones too if they plan to cover them all. The original Playstation games can wait another few years, for it doesn't seem like very long ago that they came into the world,anyhow. Do them all well, and give VII through IX a 20th anniversary remake. I rather them focus on the classics before touching the moderns.

arcanedude34
09-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Please don't double post, there is an edit button. (Beat you mods to it.)

As for the topic, I'd love a full 3D remake on the DS for V and VI too (maybe PSP for VI, it deserves it) and PSP remakes for VII-IX. The one I want MOST though would have to be IX for PSP. I'd play that non-stop once I got it.

And as a side-note, I can TOTALLY 100% see SE ending the 10-year VII compilation with a remake of the original for PS3 or PSP, then making a remake on the same console for VIII and IX. Then when the fanboys start whining, Square execs. will cry all the way to the bank.

Elskidor
09-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Please don't double post, there is an edit button. (Beat you mods to it.)

What's the deal with double posting on the forum? I'll edit in the future, but just curious. Prior issues with spammers?

arcanedude34
09-19-2008, 03:45 AM
I think it's just because it clutters up the page. If it were up to me, it wouldn't be an issue, but it's not so what can ya do?

McLovin'
09-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't think you can really remake 7 and up.

So I agree with saying they should remake 6. Good graphics and all.

Zechs
09-20-2008, 03:21 AM
The only way VII+ can be remade would be is if they added everything into the story as was initially planned before time ran out. But either way, I vote for FFVI. To me, that was the gem and I'd like to see it in a new shade.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Hmm...the games that would show the most benefit to remake would be FF7 and FF8. Reason being, FF7 fans have been crying for it so much lately, I don't see how SE could ignore them. But you know what would be VERY interesting? If FF7 end up on X-Box 360. That would piss so many people off it's would be the most entertaining thing EVER...:rolleyes2

As for FF8, what can I say? I'm a fanboy son. This is the game that got me playing FF. A new look, a bit fixing up, and MAYBE something added would make this game a masterpiece once again. And also voice acting would be great. Yeah, I can see it now...:rolleyes2

But, the safest road to travel on FF8 would probably be a prequel with Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. I'm sorry but they're story can be a GREAT prequel. :cool:

Serapy
09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
FFVII and FFVIII, especially FFVIII and you know why. :rolleyes2

black orb
09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
>>> Mystic Quest.