PDA

View Full Version : Beyond Good and Evil 2 on the way!

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 12:24 AM
I didn't get past the fart-rockets, sadly. Click here anyway. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190987.html)

Ever since Beyond Good & Evil came out to wide critical acclaim but little commercial success in 2003, fans of the game have been begging for more.

Michel Ancel, Rayman creator and man behind the original Beyond Good & Evil, has said in an interview with French magazine JeuxVideo, "I am working on Beyond Good & Evil 2. We have been in preproduction on the title for a year, and we're currently doing market research. But for the moment, it's in the early stages, and Ubisoft still hasn't agreed to it."

Ancel, who still works as a designer for Ubisoft, said that 10 to 12 people were working on the project, and although he didn't mention platforms or a time frame, he did talk a little about the gameplay. He said, "We want to be in continuity with the first game, with a big variety of levels, lots of emotion in the gameplay, and characters we care about. This time we are dealing with planet Hillys' future, and the relationship with animals...."

The first Beyond Good & Evil came out on the GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC platforms. Gamers played photographer-for-hire Jade, who looks after children who have been orphaned by the DomZ, an alien race which is attacking her planet, Hillys. In her work, she soon discovers a conspiracy between quasi-military force the Alpha Sections, who claim to be helping defend the planet, and the DomZ. It combined action adventure gameplay with stealth elements.

The article finishes by saying that it hopes that Ubisoft will give the project the green light, and that perhaps it will be using the upcoming Ubidays at the end of this month to do so.

As I said, I never got past the Fart Rockets. I liked the game's feel, but damn those Fart Rockets. I can't really say I'm super excited to see the story continued, as I've never completed the original story!

What about you?

Captain Maxx Power
05-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I won't get too excited yet because it's not even in any kind of near-completed state, but god damn, BG&E2? That's cause for excitement!

Alucard von Elru
05-16-2008, 05:56 AM
When I first heard about this, my heart pretty much skipped a beat. BGE gets my vote for being THE game of the previous generation.

A shame you never got past the fart rockets, Ken. I thought it was funny and perfectly fitting of Pey'j's character. But then, I suppose having prior experience with Oddworld renders me immune to something as pedestrian as Peyj's boots. ;)

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 06:17 AM
It's not that I didn't like the Fart Rockets. I just didn't know what to do with them. :p

Alucard von Elru
05-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Wait, you mean you got stuck there!? It's like, the easiest 'puzzle' in the game. :P You stand on that thing that has two buttons, and then hit Peyj's button (on your controller), and BAM!, he launches you up onto the previously unreachable platform. Pretty standard platform fare, actually. Ken, go play a platformer or something! :p

Seriously though, if you got stuck, please go back to it and play it. If you need help with ANYthing, PM me, because I'm pretty sure I remember every damn detail of that world. If not, I sure wouldn't mind playing through it again! XD BGE is just too wonderful for words! :)

KentaRawr!
05-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd go back and play it, but my brother has the PS2. And I did that part, but it was something else near the fart-rockets I got stuck by, when I got deeper into the cavern.

Laddy
05-16-2008, 09:07 PM
AWESOME GAME, AWESOME NEWS!

JKTrix
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM
A trailer. (http://kotaku.com/5011404/ubisoft-officially-announces-beyond-good--evil-2)

KentaRawr!
05-29-2008, 03:24 PM
Ew.

He eats flies with his nose.

Alucard von Elru
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm completely underwhelmed by the trailer, and if it's at all indicative of the art style, then... things have changed, and for the worse. BUT, this trailer shows no gameplay whatsoever and may well just be a tech demo (seems like one, at least), so I'll be reserving final judgement for a later date.

Vyk
05-30-2008, 03:42 AM
One of my all-time favorite games. Right up there with KOTOR and Xenogears <3

krissy
05-30-2008, 05:30 AM
this will be the best thing ever
or i will cut myself

Roto13
05-30-2008, 05:33 AM
I'll get the razor blade. (http://kotaku.com/5011747/beyond-good--evil-too-difficult-sequel-more-accessible)

Aerith's Knight
05-30-2008, 06:52 AM
Awsome, I loved the first one.

Vyk
05-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I'll get the razor blade. (http://kotaku.com/5011747/beyond-good--evil-too-difficult-sequel-more-accessible)

:(

I heart my photographer with green lips..

Alucard von Elru
05-30-2008, 07:27 PM
So help me god if Ubi drives Ancel away from another project. He was supposed to head up Rabbids, but left because they wanted to turn it into the horrible collection of minigames that it eventually became.

I will admit that BGE, a story about a strong, maternal, independant female photo-journalist, might be a hard sell to the mainstream. But dumbing down what got it critical success and a zealous fanbase in the first place would show how little Ubi actually cares about their fans. Prove me wrong, Ubi. Prove me wrong.

As an aside, I'm liking the "trailer" a bit more than I did. It further solidifies BGE's similarities to Firefly. Still waiting for some real info, though, before I get all excited.

Vyk
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
BG&E -> Firefly?? Do enlighten me. And until you do, I'll just daydream about Jade and Kaylee love o.O

Alucard von Elru
05-31-2008, 04:51 AM
lol I think there are some light similarities between the two, and not just in relation to how they were commercial failures but have rabid fanbases. I think they have a similar atmosphere and similar character interactions/writing. Overall, I'd kind of call BGE the gaming industry's Firefly, but it's not SO obvious that I think everyone has to agree with me or anything. :p