PDA

View Full Version : Myspace Suicide

duckie
05-16-2008, 01:23 PM
This is seriously so sad and messed up.
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/05/15/internet.suicide/index.html">Myspace Hoax</a>
It takes a really low, shallow, f-ed up person to do something like this.

DMKA
05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Oh come on, she did it for the lulz.

Peegee
05-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I read about that weeks ago. It was epic lulz

Also, I find it highly unjust to be prosecuted for the actions of another person, who performed self inflicted harm. However the "victim" and I use the term loosely was a minor, so perhaps a case could be made; Sadly.

Fonzie
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
This is older then Jesus riding a dinosaur.

Big D
05-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Also, I find it highly unjust to be prosecuted for the actions of another person, who performed self inflicted harm. However the "victim" and I use the term loosely was a minor, so perhaps a case could be made; Sadly.Why?
If you intend harm to another person through your actions, and that harm comes about as a direct result of your actions, then you're legally and - at least in my opinion - morally responsible. Harassment is harassment, even if it's done over the internet. The indictment (http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/15/my.space.drew.indictment.pdf) makes it pretty clear what she's charged with. She, and the other defendants, *did* create an account under a false name, and use that account to get personal info from a 13 year old girl, then used that info to "torment, harass and humiliate" the kid.
If you intentionally fuck someone around like that, committing that many illegal acts in the process, than damn straight you should be held accountable for it.

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom to try to ruin a child's life for entertainment". Someone who tried that kind of :skull::skull::skull::skull: in real life would probably earn a sound beating quite quickly; it shouldn't be possible to get away with the same thing by hiding behind a computer. In most civilised countries, inciting the commission of a crime is a crime in itself. Even though suicide is lawful, incitement to commit suicide remains a crime. For civilised nations, at least.

Jessweeee♪
05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah I heard about that :S

Every day I see my grandma she tells me about another myspace related death/raping >.<

She doesn't use the internet, and she only hears bad things like this, so she's really afraid of it :(

Momiji
05-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Umm...welcome to 2006, where were you? :p

In all seriousness, it's people like her that give MySpace a worse name than the camera/attention whores.

Big D
05-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Umm...welcome to 2006, where were you? :pIt's back in the news 'cause it's going to trial, apparently.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Well, that's the justice system for you. >_<

Peegee
05-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Also, I find it highly unjust to be prosecuted for the actions of another person, who performed self inflicted harm. However the "victim" and I use the term loosely was a minor, so perhaps a case could be made; Sadly.Why?
If you intend harm to another person through your actions, and that harm comes about as a direct result of your actions, then you're legally and - at least in my opinion - morally responsible. Harassment is harassment, even if it's done over the internet. The indictment (http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/05/15/my.space.drew.indictment.pdf) makes it pretty clear what she's charged with. She, and the other defendants, *did* create an account under a false name, and use that account to get personal info from a 13 year old girl, then used that info to "torment, harass and humiliate" the kid.
If you intentionally smurf someone around like that, committing that many illegal acts in the process, than damn straight you should be held accountable for it.

"Freedom of speech" doesn't mean "freedom to try to ruin a child's life for entertainment". Someone who tried that kind of :skull::skull::skull::skull: in real life would probably earn a sound beating quite quickly; it shouldn't be possible to get away with the same thing by hiding behind a computer. In most civilised countries, inciting the commission of a crime is a crime in itself. Even though suicide is lawful, incitement to commit suicide remains a crime. For civilised nations, at least.

Where were these laws when I was a kid? While I may appreciate and understand these ideas, I'm biased towards my childhood, where it was common for kids to fend for themselves while the teachers turned a blind eye to avoid dealing with bullies, at least until it became a legal consequence to avoid action.

Old Manus
05-16-2008, 04:06 PM
What kind of idiot kills themself because their internet boyfriend turns out not to be a guy

This is the internet, nobody is who they say they are

Momiji
05-16-2008, 04:11 PM
What kind of idiot kills themself because their internet boyfriend turns out not to be a guy

This is the internet, nobody is who they say they are

The lady was basically telling her that she was worthless and she should kill herself. It wasn't because her internet boyfriend wasn't a guy. Did she even know that before she killed herself?

Old Manus
05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
I still think it's stupid.

Momiji
05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Well of course it is. Suicide in general is a rather stupid concept, if you ask me.

stalpho slayer
05-17-2008, 03:48 PM
:skull::skull::skull::skull:s messed up

Momiji
05-17-2008, 04:08 PM
LOL CENSORSHIP BYPASSING

Furthermore, I wished this whole situation would be a wake up call for the scene idiots who glorified suicide in their screen names/made fake suicide bulletins. But of course, they're as oblivious as ever to how stupid they look.

rubah
05-17-2008, 06:24 PM

Also, I find it highly unjust to be prosecuted for the actions of another person, who performed self inflicted harm. However the "victim" and I use the term loosely was a minor, so perhaps a case could be made; Sadly.
she's being tried for conspiracy, and I think it's plain enough that they were conspiring against the girl.

Vyk
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
On the flip-side she could have went after them with a gun like the other side of the messed up teenage equation. This is really old. But I'm still glad someone's being punished. I dunno if its harder being a kid these days, or kids just aren't as strong these days. Nobody I knew (of) while growing up committed suicide or murder. Yet its common enough to be a constant worry these days. Even if you don't know anyone personally. You know enough OF the events going around

rubah
05-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm sure there were some, but they were kept tightly locked in with the other family skeletons.

Quindiana Jones
05-17-2008, 08:12 PM
I find it quite incredible that she managed to hang herself on one day, and not die until the next.

Muhyo
05-17-2008, 08:27 PM
This was on my news last week. The mother is pathetic and immature for doing what she did and deserves to be punished... but the girl shouldn't have wasted her life away. That was rather a stupid thing to do, to be frank. It's not the first time something of this sort would have happened. And people only care this time because the girl took her own life. :down:

I don't care if anyone says anything about 'heart break'. I mean, if she had a real boyfriend then they broke up in a rather unwanted fashion- would she start doing self-destructive things?

I have this feeling that the girl had something on her mind. No one is that weak. It was just an average 'doomed-to-fail' internet boyfriend go wrong.

Being a little less serious, I wonder if the mother felt weird 'going out' with a GIRL around her DAUGHTER's age?

Quindiana Jones
05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
The girl was depressed. She always had "something on her mind". Jokes aside, depression is not something everyone can just "wake up" from, or get over. Sure, you may not get depressed or upset easy. But then again, I doubt you're fucked in the head. Depression is different to severe sadness.

Muhyo
05-17-2008, 09:41 PM
I know. That's why I said no one is that weak. As in 'I think she was depressed because the poor girl could get hurt much easier than an average person'. I'm sorry if that was worded badly- but I do know that depression is a condition that needs to be taken seriously.

I mean in the we didn't live her life so we don't know what was going on. She probably didn't talk to anyone about her worries although knowing the condition that she was probably in, she didn't really want to. And we don't know what she was saying about the mother's daughter.

The mother was just a prat. Knowing that her daughter was probably upset because of what the late girl said, she just had to sink lower to upset her that much. I mean, I doubt she knew that the girl was fragile but she shouldn't do that in the first place!

Yar
05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/112204-can-you-blame-another-person-someones-suicide.html

We've discussed this before.
I blamed the parents of the girl who killed herself.

DMKA
05-18-2008, 12:08 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/eyes-each-other/112204-can-you-blame-another-person-someones-suicide.html

Wow, so now someone doing something stupid out of hurt feelings by someone else's actions isn't their own fault? Personal accountability is completely out the window?

If so, it's over. Western civilization is finished.

Roto13
05-18-2008, 12:26 AM
First gay marriage, now this. Or first that, now gay marriage. I dunno.

Yar
05-18-2008, 01:02 AM

Wow, so now someone doing something stupid out of hurt feelings by someone else's actions isn't their own fault? Personal accountability is completely out the window?

No, I blame the dead girl most of all. I was responding to those who said the parents who were mean were at fault, when the dead girl's parents are more responsible.

DMKA
05-18-2008, 01:51 AM

No, I blame the dead girl most of all. I was responding to those who said the parents who were mean were at fault, when the dead girl's parents are more responsible.

Oh, my bad. ;)

Yar
05-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Oh, my bad. ;)

I just figured her guilt was implied... :/

We discussed this in current events class. Our teacher was all gung-ho about how it's the "evil mom's" fault. I love arguing with her.

Behold the Void
05-18-2008, 06:40 AM
I remember discussing this in media ethics after having discussed it here. When the question of what should be done to the mother who incited it was brought up, my answer was unhesitating in that I felt the situation needed to be reported to show what this woman was.

A lot of people seem to be missing some of the facts in that the girl who ended up committing suicide had self-esteem issues that the woman who made the myspace account knew about, and also that the myspace account was specifically designed to create something with which to maliciously and cruelly harm her.

I'm not arguing lack of accountability for the girl who killed herself, but I do feel that a lot of blame must fall on the woman who intentionally went out of her way to inflict deep emotional wounds on an already emotionally unstable 13-year-old girl.

duckie
05-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Our country is going down the toilet.

DMKA
05-19-2008, 01:29 PM

I think you missed...something. :D

duckie
05-19-2008, 01:31 PM

I think you missed...something. :D
Probably, cuz I'm scratching my head like a retard.