PDA

View Full Version : The Martial Arts thread, Mk 2!

Bahamut2000X
05-16-2008, 09:57 PM
A new martial arts thread, now with 60% more bone breaking, and 20% more awesomeness.

So this thread here is one where we can chat about what martial arts we've done, what we'd like to do, what we ARE doing. And better yet, recent accomplishments, and chatting about training regiments and drills to improve our skills as martial artists.

So then let's get this shindig started.

As I've mentioned in the old martial arts thread I'm a ninja, training in Bansenshukai Ninjutsu, and American Jiujutsu.

Recent accomplishments for me is that last month I passed my test and got my Red Belt, making me a Senpai (senior student) now.

Rantz
05-17-2008, 12:00 AM
I once bitch-slapped a friend as a joke. :confused:

KentaRawr!
05-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Well, my Dad taught me how to trip people, and how to choke people much larger than myself. Also, how to guard from being choked.

rubah
05-17-2008, 12:34 AM
I recall two usages of martial arts, both of which I learned 13 years ago at three free tae kwon do lessons.

Namelessfengir
05-17-2008, 01:14 AM
highlander style swordplay and some jeet kun do???

Big D
05-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Unarmed styles: I've done a limited amount of the following:

Self-defence techniques based on jiu-jistsu

Olympic-style wrestling

Unarmed fighting based on various systems

Armed: I've trained in all of these:

MS i.33 sword and buckler

George Silver's English single-sword

Talhoffer/Liechtenauer German longsword

German medieval dagger

English short-staff

Traditional recurve archery

Thanks to Hollywood bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:, most people don't realise that the traditional Western martial arts were actually extremely potent and comprehensive fighting styles. Even the German dagger system contains a full range of throws, grapples, disarms and bone-breaking techniques.

qwertysaur
05-17-2008, 05:06 AM
2nd degree black belt tae kwon do still. :p Oh and for armed combat, I know bo staff, katana (one and two handed) and nunchaku (Single and double). My favorite weapon is the staff by far, I like the range it can give, but it's pretty easy to block.

I want to learn jiu-juitsu. :D

Bahamut2000X
05-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey maybe I should list my weapons training too! (It's funny cause my dojo trains us in a new weapon every belt level, and their just the basic geometric shapes you would find anywhere to use for a weapon) But my list of weapons...

-Metsubushi (Any form of eye irritant and sight remover)
-Jutte (Imagine a sai but with only one prong coming off the side)
-Stick (Really any stick object that's shorter then a hanbo we learn to use to strike and grapple with)
-Hanbo (3 foot staff)
-Bo (6 foot staff)
-Kusari Fundo (Length of chain with weights on the end)
-Sword/Katana (I've used a variety of swords to train with, though very little formal training)

Weapons I got coming up on my to do list through when I get higher belt levels.

-Shoge (Ninja grappling hook basically)
-Hojojutsu (Rope as a weapon and restraining enemies with it)
-Tanto/Knife/Dagger
-Shurikens
-Firearms (using firearms in conjunction with our grappling, taijutsu, and taihenjutsu)

blackmage_nuke
05-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Maybe we should learn to love instead of fight. After all you cant spell martial without marital. So remember, get married then beat your wife.

Oh and i use to be a blue belt in something or other.

Laddy
05-17-2008, 05:46 PM
I've learned various styles of Katana, Staff, Rapier, and Dagger.

I wanna learn Brazilian Dance Fighting! XD

Arc_Master_14
05-17-2008, 05:56 PM
I wanna learn Brazilian Dance Fighting! XD
same here capoeira right? (we're studying Brazil in Geography lol)

anyway Ive learned very choppy judo from my cousin and wrestling from my dad