PDA

View Full Version : firefox extensions

rubah
05-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Does anyone know if there's a firefox extension (preferably ff3 and later) that lets you add a line like 'open image/link/etc in x program' to your right click context menu?

Flying Mullet
05-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Usually, if you open a file inside any program, Windows will offer that program as an "Open with..." option in your context-sensitive menu afterwards. So open an image inside Firefox (File -> Open File... or Ctrl+O) and Firefox should be available to you for that file type's context-sensitive menu. This works on only the extension you open though, so if you want jpg's and gif's to be available in your context-sensitive menu, you'll need to open one of each in Firefox.

You can also set Firefox to be the default program to open an image but I don't think that's what you want.

Rantz
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I think you read the question wrong, Mullet. :)

I don't know if such a thing would be possible, you'd have to download the target file before being able to open it to an application, would you not? Are you just looking for a shortcut to do just that for certain applications?

Flying Mullet
05-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Add that option to a menu when you right-click a link in Firefox? Oops. Yeah, I thought it was to open an image in Firefox from Windows Explorer when it's right-clicked. :greenie:

rubah
05-19-2008, 05:59 PM
if they're being displayed, then they're already downloaded somewhere!. . . it's just really annoying to have to copy an image make a new image in photoshop then paste it all the time xD (of course for a while the copy/paste image in ff3b was broken so i had to save them and open which was worse ;o)

dangit computers, get more advanced already!

Dr Unne
05-20-2008, 04:10 AM
Flashgot (http://flashgot.net/)

This lets you pick a "download manager" to use for downloading links and images. You can highlight an image and right click and download the selection (which can includes images and/or text). You can do the same after right-clicking a link.

The good part is that you can use any arbitrary program as a download manager. So you can write your own script that downloads the image to a folder of your choosing and immediately opens it in a program of your choosing.

You can also drag-and-drop an image from Firefox into some programs directly. Or drag-and-drop to a file manager window (e.g. your desktop) depending on what OS you use.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Plus, now if you download it, you can say you're on a mission from God.

rubah
05-20-2008, 05:37 AM
funnily enough, when doing a search for "open image flashgot" I found this site: Dafizilla : ViewSourceWith (http://dafizilla.sourceforge.net/viewsourcewith/) which seems more to the point.

of course as of yet, i haven't got either of them to work. yay

I could, bleys, but I don't have my sunglasses on, and I'm very far away from chicago.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2008, 05:39 AM
I don't have my sunglasses on, and I'm very far away from chicago.

OK you're really going to have to spell out the relevance of that in very small words...

Dr Unne
05-20-2008, 05:43 AM
"I'm on a mission from god" is a line from a comedy movie called Blues Brothers in which some brothers wore sunglasses.

"Comedy" is any performance intended to invoke laughter in audience members.

"Movies" are picture-shows whereby many still images are displayed in rapid succession resulting in the illusion of movement. There is often an audio component also.

rubah
05-20-2008, 06:12 AM
now who says 'you can say you're on a mission from god' without quoting blues brothers :[ that's distasteful.

8)

Hit it.

rubah
05-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Man, I am so glad I found this extension! Thank you, God, for giving me something to google that led me to it :D

(in case anyone else wanted to know, this is how you set it up:
Editor path: /usr/bin/open
Description: Whatever you want it to show up as. e.g. "Photoshop"
Parameters: -a /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS3/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS3.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ CS3 $f

-a means "open this file that I am right clicking"
the long stuff with the slashes means "this is where the program is"
$f is the file.

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I was not aware that the Blues Brothers had anything to do with missions from God -.-

rubah
05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
They had to get money for the Penguin's orphanage!

Citizen Bleys
05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
The more I hear, the more I want to avoid this movie like gonorrhea.

rubah
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
don't you like music?!