PDA

View Full Version : That's right, soften the blow so no progress is made!

Momiji
05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
G4 - The Feed - Expert: Kids Shouldn't Play 'Wii Fit' (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/685550/Expert_Kids_Shouldnt_Play_Wii_Fit.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed)

Apparently some think that kids shouldn't exercise with Wii Fit because it grades kids' performances. I see it as a motivator and not an insult. :p

blackmage_nuke
05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
how are they going to deal with all the MySpace predators when they hit a ripe old age of 11?The fact that this is what they think about kids these days is the real insult

KentaRawr!
05-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I heard of a girl who got super uber sad one day. It said she was overweight. So, I guess the correction should be that young girls who believe that being called something that could loosely be related to the word "fat" in any way at all is the apocalypse should not play Wii Fit. Chances are, they're fat. :3

Madame Adequate
05-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I heard of a girl who got super uber sad one day. It said she was overweight. So, I guess the correction should be that young girls who believe that being called something that could loosely be related to the word "fat" in any way at all is the apocalypse should not play Wii Fit. Chances are, they're fat. :3

Wii Fit bases its claims on BMI, which is shoddy enough for adults - it's completely useless for measuring a child's weight, health, or anything else at all.

KentaRawr!
05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
True, but it won't be any harm to one who knows that, now will it? :p This is more about taking a comment from a game than anything, it seems.

Quindiana Jones
05-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Doctors > Games.

ReloadPsi
05-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Doctors > Games.

Being on the other side of your front door > Wii Fit

When I saw the Wii Fit, the ads for it, the early previews, everything to do with it, I thought I had gone mad. After I realised the sky was still blue, the grass was still green and the milk had turned sour from being outta the fridge too long, I instead began to think more along the lines of "remnants of an April Fool's joke that people are accidentally taking seriously kinda like that FF8 Gaiden thingy".

Then I discovered they were serious, and I made remarks not fit for print here. It appalls me that Nintendo would release a plastic chunk that is supposed to replace simply going outside one's house once in a while. Besides, isn't Dance Dance Revolution much better? At least DDR claims to be a game, not a lame-ass fitness program, and even then it has a mode that counts your current alleged calorie expenditure.

Mirage
05-18-2008, 11:08 PM
There's Eyetoy kinetic or whatever too.

Vermachtnis
05-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Should little kids even worry about thi? I thought WII Fit was targeted for ages 16 and above.

DMKA
05-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Since when is being told you're fat horrible? By a machine none the less? Should they not go near a scale either?

Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to this world.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Since when is being told you're fat horrible? By a machine none the less? Should they not go near a scale either?

Jesus Christ, what the hell happened to this world.

Well, it was around the time that society decided 'fat' wasn't a descriptor, but a perjorative, and that you were allowed to say pretty much anything you liked about fat people with no repercussions, that people starting getting upset about the idea of being fat. When fat people are treated so badly, of course it'll be unpleasant to be called fat.

KentaRawr!
05-19-2008, 12:02 AM
It's not meant to actually replace going outside once in a while, you silly goose. It only makes observations of your health based on various things, and has some out-side flavored games that use the Balance Board. It's basically Wii Sports but with a new peripheral, and some yoga.

CimminyCricket
05-19-2008, 12:08 AM
YouTube - Wii Fit Parody (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns)

Madame Adequate
05-19-2008, 12:11 AM
It's not meant to actually replace going outside once in a while, you silly goose. It only makes observations of your health based on various things, and has some out-side flavored games that use the Balance Board. It's basically Wii Sports but with a new peripheral, and some yoga.

I've not made any comment whatsoever on it's purpose, I've just said, the reason people don't like being called fat is because being fat is only slightly more acceptable than being a drug addict in the current cultural climate.

DMKA
05-19-2008, 12:12 AM
YouTube - Wii Fit Parody (http://youtube.com/watch?v=_iYBmAVuBns)

Wow, that was so painfully unfunny I couldn't make it past 40 seconds.

Roto13
05-19-2008, 12:15 AM

I've not made any comment whatsoever on it's purpose, I've just said, the reason people don't like being called fat is because being fat is only slightly more acceptable than being a drug addict in the current cultural climate.

Sometimes when people say things, they're not talking to you. :P

KentaRawr!
05-19-2008, 12:25 AM

I wasn't talking to you, Milf.

ljkkjlcm9
05-19-2008, 01:06 AM
Anyone who takes it too serious is absurd. It's a GAME. I mean, I played Brain Age. When I first did the age test it said I was 78. Did this offend me? No of course not, it was a game. After I got age 20 (lowest it could go) I never did the entire age test again. It is a game, not something people should take too seriously.

And fat use to be a sign of wealth. Fat was beautiful. Honestly, I see too many people who look great with their weight, that think they're fat. I hate when girls call themselves fat. Especially when I look at them and see they're beautiful. Of course then you have people like my roommate, who is so shallow himself about girls, but I would consider him fatter than any girl he has ever called fat. If someone goes around calling other people fat, it's because they themselves are insecure about their weight, (or the person is just obviously fat.)

A game though? C'mon, why do people take it so seriously. I could see it being fun, though I have no intentions of getting it.

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
05-19-2008, 01:50 AM

Sometimes when people say things, they're not talking to you. :P

These occasions are rare enough that I can assume all things said are directed at me.

(sry Kentarou uber-stressful day and not thinking straight)

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2008, 01:57 AM
My friends were telling me about this yesterday :S

I want to laugh :p

Big D
05-19-2008, 02:29 AM
When I beat Metal Gear Solid for the first time, as an impressionable 15 year old, it graded my performance:( It added up every little thing I did or didn't do, and ranked me accordingly - it wasn't a great ranking, and made me feel bad about my problem-solving and hand-eye co-ordination skills.

The same thing happened with Gran Turismo, when I came last in an A License race. They told me I came in sixth place. There were only six cars in the race, so basically they were saying I was the worst driver there.

:cry:

But in all seriousness... if a game's providing an accurate assessment of a person's fitness, then so be it. As that article said, you can be big but still fit.

KentaRawr!
05-19-2008, 02:29 AM
(sry Kentarou uber-stressful day and not thinking straight)

No problem. I should have used a quote anyway.

The Unknown Guru
05-19-2008, 03:37 AM
Wii Fit bases its claims on BMI, which is shoddy enough for adults - it's completely useless for measuring a child's weight, health, or anything else at all.

Yes. 2 years ago, I was really short and really muscular. My PE teachers caused a bunch of fuss because BMI said I was fat.

Roto13
05-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Odds are, you aren't going to be using Wii Fit if you're muscular.

rubah
05-19-2008, 06:30 AM
there's a lot of reasons why wiifit would be advantageous over going outside:

1) hot weather
2) cold weather
3) rainy weather
4) you don't have anyone else to play with
5) you're fat and need an objective third party to hound your butt or at least keep up with your calories
6) outside is asphalt.
7) your shoes are broken.
8) you're so fat you're embarassed to be seen outside your home.

Roto13
05-19-2008, 07:03 AM

*raises hand*

Have you ever seen a fat man exercise? It looks ridiculous.

DMKA
05-19-2008, 01:35 PM

*raises hand*

Have you ever seen a fat man exercise? It looks ridiculous.

Not aside of myself. :rolleyes2

Kokichi
05-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Haha, wut.

The little stick socks are nifty.

I'd rather play Wii Fitness on Wii Sports, rather than Wii Fit as a game itself.

Protip: Go outside. Stop playing games if you want to really work out.

(But if you want to improve hand-eye cord. and hand speed, by all means, powerlevel away)