PDA

View Full Version : Is this game worth beating ?

TedRocket
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
So what is the story ? Is this game worth finishing ? I am not into it yet, and I just do not want to waste my time. My first post , I have been observing these forums for a while though. I just decided to join today.

Yar
05-18-2008, 11:42 PM
Welcome Ted Rocket!

They story is somewhat lighthearted. Yuna is trying to find Tidus. However, the gameplay BLOWS AWAY the story and is probably the best of the PS2 FFs. After you get to about chapter 2 or 3, the battle are so quick and intense.

This is my favorite game of the PS2 era. Which is a shame because it gets such a bad rap on these forums. There are SO MANY things to discover in this game. If you wanna buy it you can probably get it new at Best Buy for $12.

TedRocket
05-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Scarmiglione thank you. I guess I will hook the old system up and rush to the store then. I love this series, I was not sure about this game though. Thx.

Roxxas
05-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Yeah the gameplays fun though I prefer FF12. If you are just playing for plot just go look up the different endings on youtube. Honestly the plot leading up to the end is just terrible. The endings are okay I guess if you didn't like FF10's ending.

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Eh...it depends. The whole game is pretty much sidequests, so though there is a nice story, you don't see much of it.

Gameplay is super neat, though. Even if you are running errands half of the time.

Karellen
05-19-2008, 03:19 PM
The plot ranges from pretty stupid to absolutely ridiculous. If you're looking for another fantasy epic like FFX, don't bother with this game. Story wise, FFX-2 is actually more like a Dragon Quest game than a FF game in that far more effort is put into the various side stories that run parallel to the main narrative rather then the main narrative itself. Most of them are actually rather amusing, even more so considering that you get to directly influence their outcome. It's an approach to story-telling that you won't find in any of the other games in the series, so it's probably worth checking out just for that.

Yar
05-19-2008, 07:55 PM
The game has a great deal of replay value.

The amount of customization is monumental, and there are also varying endings.

Cleric
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Despite everyones remarks on this game, and even some reviews comments that it is a "dress up extravaganza" I found the game to be very entertaining. Like final fantasys before it, it does something different, and I thought that the mission based gameplay made for a jump in and jump out at your leisure kind of game. I'd def. recommend it

Breine
05-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Eh...it depends. The whole game is pretty much sidequests, so though there is a nice story, you don't see much of it.

Gameplay is super neat, though. Even if you are running errands half of the time.

I agree. I also really liked the fast battle mode of the game.

If you're looking for a deep storyline and stuff like that, this is not a game for you. The game is lighthearted and pretty fun, though.

Yar
05-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I agree. I also really liked the fast battle mode of the game.

If you're looking for a deep storyline and stuff like that, this is not a game for you. The game is lighthearted and pretty fun, though.

And going along with the refuting the "bad story" argument. In X, you've already saved the world from Sin. Can't exactly kill Sin again in X-2...

This is when you get to see the beauty of non-linear gameplay. You can try to speed through the game, or do every mission possible. Each mission has little stories and puzzles to solve.

Have you played this game yet, Ted Rocket?

xLotus
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
I think it's worth it, if not for anything other than completion. It has a nice story and the dresspheres are interesting, it's just really easy to miss certain things in the game because it's so nonlinear.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
06-19-2008, 10:29 PM
I thought it was quite easy but I don't regret buying and playing it.
Like said earliar there is a bunch of side quests and recaps.
Also the battle system and dresspheres are sweeeet.
So, yes play ittt.

Marky Tee
06-20-2008, 05:57 PM
if you like good looking well toned young ladies(but still legal) dressing up and kicking the crap out of their enemies then yes
as mentioned before the gameplay is awesome and the intense battles make it great
there are some dark and gritty parts to the story but the silly bits overshadow them

Markus. D
06-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I'd say the game is far more worth exploring to find every little tidbit of interesting lore/storyline part that you can :]! (It's amazing but Optional... If you want more of the "dark and gritty parts" you'll almost have to do some explorination!)

As for beating it 100%... maybe if you're into fanservice.

The gameplay is as good as you make it... and assuming you don't use those items that break the games limits (Catnip etc) it can be extremely fun :D!

The major flaw with the gameplay on a completion scale is that the ub3r items are -way- cakewalk to come across.

4evarisha
06-21-2008, 09:50 PM
I just played it for completion of ffs but its a good game and yeah its not that bad and it is cool with the dresspheres and i think its overall a good game.

Carl the Llama
06-23-2008, 04:57 PM
On the whole I loved the game, the gameplay, the missions and the light heartedness all of which made a great experence for me.

BG-57
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
This game has a vastly different tone than FFX. If you can get past that (it took me a while) you will enjoy it a lot. The gameplay and many minigames are a lot of fun. It has a lot of additional features that should be in the main FF series, especially New Game+.

Muse Junkie
07-07-2008, 07:45 AM
I think a lot of people were looking for X-2 to be this epic sequel to X because I mean it was the real first FF sequel. But it did what it was meant to do. It really wrapped up loose ends and, granted, it wasn't the most amazing storyline, but it worked for me.

Plus, Paine was a nice little addition to the female's in the series :D

Polaris
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
My brother started playing the game yesterday and I must say the initial presentation is the worse I've seen in FF! A fake Yuna dancing -.-", the voices are totally crap! They dn't have feelingsm looks like someone is reading and waiting for the others to speak! The battle system are meh! The menu is the only thing that impressed me.

Honestly quite far from what I've seen on the others FFs. Many people say FF12 is bad but the presentation had nothing to do with FF. It looked like a cheap soap opera.

If you like girls playings though you should get it and you'll have lots of fun.

It's entertaining but not a masterpiece...

Nifleheim7
07-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I don't know if it's worth completing it 100% (especially since i didn't like the "good" ending) but its definitely worth a try.Its a FF game after all.

DMKA
07-22-2008, 05:34 AM
It's a mixed bag. Worth playing? Fun? Yeah. Not exactly anything revolutionary though.

Basically made for fans of FFX. One of which I am.

Roto13
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
This thread is like two months old, but I'm going to give my opinion anyway. :P

If you're the type of person who actually cares about stories in games and you liked the outcome of Final Fantasy X, you might want to skip this game because it completely ruins it. A few of the minor characters from X get more development (though I'm not so sure that's a good thing in the case of Brother and his incestuous crush on Yuna) and Payne is ok (if you don't mind the fact that she's basically Squall with a vagina) but the only other new character I can remember is a little creature named Tobli. I think there may also be a Hypello.

If you don't care about stories, you may or may not be able to stand the overall atmosphere anyway. It's like playing a Fantasy version of the Spice Girls movie.

Not only does the game mostly involve backtracking over the same few areas five time (that is, if you want to experience the whole game) but they're the areas that you already played through in Final Fantasy X. The game feels really lazy in that regard. Others, too. A lot of scenes that would basically require motion capture acting to not be incredibly awkward just don't have it. Lulu is pregnant and Wakka is fat, but neither of them look any different than they did in X.

If you can get past that, though, the gameplay is pretty good. The battle system is fast paced and frantic and the job system is great. I love that you can switch your job in the middle of a battle. It adds a lot of versatility.

Overall, I think X-2 could have been a great game, but instead ends up being a great game engine wasted on Spice World.

Cleric
07-23-2008, 01:36 AM
Overall, I think X-2 could have been a great game, but instead ends up being a great game engine wasted on Spice World.

After about 10 minutes of laughing, I totally agree. I thought the Dress Sphere system was great because of the versatility of it, and also it helped the game hold the integrity of the sphere thing somewhat

Formalhaut
07-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Roto13, you made me cry in laughter. But I have to agree, this game is ok for like immature people. most things felt unreal or fake, although it did tie up loose ends but in a totally different way fans wanted. That is why many fans did not like FFX-2.