PDA

View Full Version : Sun Burns

CimminyCricket
05-19-2008, 06:15 AM
I am so sun burned right now, I don't even know how to explain it. Like...Seriously. I had a farmer's tan, well, I guess I still have it considering rather than where everything was white, it is now pink/red. xD

I didn't realise it was so bad until I looked at my stomach and thought, PINK BELLY and laughed.

How sun burned have you ever been? Me, I think this is the worst sun burn I've ever had. It hurts so much xD Stupid Hawaii.

Momiji
05-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Thanks to having longer hair, only my nose and part of my forehead got burnt on Saturday at my brother's baseball game. The rest of my face was protected by the wind blowing my hair down. xP

My nose is killing me, though.

Gogo
05-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Umm. I dunno. My legs hadn't seen the sun (except for one evening) in about 5 years until two months ago when I wore shorts to a drumline rehearsal. My left calf turned pink like a piggy with a perfect line between the pink and the white. :D I'm gave up on maintaining my immaculate farmer's tan that day.

I put an electrical tape "X" shape on my left bicep during rehearsal one day a month ago, and the tan line still hasn't gone away. :D

Tama2
05-19-2008, 06:49 AM
I have some Mexican blood in me. SO I tan well.

Beer tastes good >:O

Breine
05-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I've had some pretty bad sun burns, mainly because I get really pale in the winter time and somehow think I can take hours of sun when summer finally comes along.

Namelessfengir
05-19-2008, 08:54 AM
i raked the field for four hours 4 years ago so my back boiled and gave off heat for three days

DarkLadyNyara
05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
The worst I've ever gotten was on my back. I was at the beach in a backless swimsuit, and fell asleep face-down. Woke up several hours later in a great deal of pain. :(

Big D
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Sunburn is nasty. My country used to have serious problems from the ozone hole (like, it was right over our head), so sunburn and skin cancer are major worries here. Hence, I never get more than lightly burned, and even that's on occasions where I screw up.

What really bothers me are the misconceptions and urban myths about sunburn - "you have to get burned in order to get a tan", "if you get really badly burned you can get a tan straight away", "if you get sunburned, the best treatment is to pour really hot water on it" - and so forth.

Zeldy
05-19-2008, 03:52 PM
The worst sunburn I got would have been from my holidays to Spain, Majorca or Tenerife. You can get sunburnt in England, but nothing really really bad unless you're out in the sun practically all day long.

I'm really pale and fair-skinned, and I have jet black hair which just ABSORBS heat, so I'm never out in the sun for long xD

Jess
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't usually burn, but I usually go a bit red before it turning into a tan - but it's not really sun burn because it doesn't hurt at all.

The worst sun burn I've had is on holiday when I've gone into the sea, forgot to re-apply suncream and fallen asleep in the sun when sunbathing. Ouch! but it didn't last longer than like a day or two. :jess:

Randgris
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I remembered back then, I was all dark brown after swimming. My skin became itchy and feels warm, my nipples got chafed by my shirt. My mom said apply lotion and it became fine. I never had a sunburn after that (cause I never swim too much anymore)

ShunNakamura
05-19-2008, 05:22 PM
I burn on a regular basis. My body does not tan... just burns. And I get to work outside for up to 8-12 hours a day over the 3-day weekends. Add this in with the fact that I am allergic to sun screen and well.... you get lots of burns.

Way back before I found my current method I used to take about 2 weeks at least to recover from even a moderate burn with a only a bit of peeling. When I used Aloe Vera moderate burns would take roughly about 2 and a half weeks and I peeled more. However, there was far less irritation through out the day and my burns never really worsened if I found myself sun exposed for a while(whereas without aloe vera I would get burned worse).

I tried cold showers. And once again it would take nearly 2 and a half weeks to heal and I would peel like mad. Lukewarm showers were what I normally took when burned. I then tried the hot shower routine. Truthfully I normally wouldn't consider the water hot(my normal hot shower is so hot it scalds my family and I end up exiting a sauna when I leave the bathroom), however, hot is subjective and can differ from person to person and from season to season. I know take about 4 days to recover from even a fairly nasty burn. And only a little over a week for really bad burns. In addition I NEVER peel.

I have done some experiments with my own body to see if it was the shower(why the heck would a hot shower help?) or if I had a diet change. No diet change. However, I did manage to cause similar results when taking lukewarm showers(not really sure if the result differences are statistically irrelevant or not, probably they are since burns are unlikely to be exactly the same). However, I had to more than double my water intake. Basically if I drank about 20-30 glasses of water a day my results were similar to that of taking a hot shower and drinking my usual 9-12'ish glasses of water a day. Not sure if it affects the burn itself or if it just increases water absorption throughout the body by perhaps opening pores or something which then aids in healing the burn. It is also possible that by opening the pores wider my body manages to 'air' out better. And airing a sunburn is fairly important as long as you aren't exposing it to the sun. All I do know is that in comparing same diet/activity + hot shower and same diet/activity + cold/lukewarm shower, I consistently heal better when taking the hot shower(unless I down 20+ glasses a day, which tends to make me slightly ill stomach wise).

<hr>
Anyways long story short the most important things in healing a sunburn are A) drink a lot of water, B) air it out, C) constantly apply water(whether cold/lukewarm/hot doesn't mater) to the area, and D) try not to expose it to anything that would further burn the skin(the sun and/or scalding water).

Kokichi
05-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Never knew water helped sunburns.

Hmmm.

Went to a city pool for about five hours.

Came back, and I had to sleep reclined awkwardly, because I couldn't let it touch my face. The pain was too agonizing.

Well, maybe agonizing is stretching the truth. It just hurt.

Tallulah
05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
My arms are always burning in the sun. That then fades into a tasteful tan.

My make up has Sun Protection Factor, so my face never burns any more.

rubah
05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
I laid out yesterday for a little while, but my dad worked in the garden like all afternoon and has a lobster back for it now 8)

he had the gall to say my face looked red and then I told him I'd worn sunscreen on my face plus a hat over it :[ I know it's red! that's why i was letting the rest of my skin catch up

smittenkitten
05-19-2008, 11:49 PM
I don't tan and I rarely burn. I have very pale and sensitive skin. :)

Jessweeee♪
05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
I always forget to put sun block on my feet when I go to the beach. We end up staying there for hours and hours and I just put my chair in the water and sit being bored while my underwater feet BURN TO A CRISP.

Yar
05-20-2008, 12:17 AM
I sat in a tanning bed 20 min nude.

I don't want to hear anyone bitching about sunburns.

Try Solarcaine. It's nice for a moment.

DMKA
05-20-2008, 12:20 AM
My father passed his Mexicaness genes onto me so I've never experienced the apparent agony that is a sunburn. I just tan. If I actually walked outside more often I'd probably get quite dark, seeing as if my dad were any darker he'd be black.

Roto13
05-20-2008, 12:38 AM
I've only gotten one really bad sunburn in my life. I was on vacation in PEI. It happened at the end, though, so at least it didn't ruin my trip.

Nominus Experse
05-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Sunburns worry me due to my mind always screaming at me, "Fuck, cancer is come!"

CimminyCricket
05-20-2008, 05:34 AM
THAT IS WHAT I AM THINKING D: My mother has already gotten skin cancer from such things, and yet I still refuse to put on sun lotion xD