PDA

View Full Version : Light literature... more especific... Nicholas Spark

Polaris
05-19-2008, 05:35 PM
So last December I recieved a book from Nicholas Spark "The Notebook" for Christmas! :) My cousin said it was one of her favourite writers, I confess I was kinda scared because it wasn't in english but in portuguese (which is even worse because the translation might be terrible).

So once I got a terrible insomnia and I decided to read it to see if I could sleep... but as I started I got more and more shocked to know it was a 'best seller' and that he had a huge sucess with it! It was the worse book I ever read (an no I am not overreacting) the way he describes things like 'she shaved her legs'... why the hell do I need to know that! That's something the reader should understand or not! Also for 3 pages he describes the two main character having sex! -.-" I mean the reader from a kiss should realise if they had sex or not, not read three pages with details! :(

Now I felt quite bad because here lots of people enjoy it and once I started to speak about it with a girl from my degree and she said she also hated it because his books were "little soap operas".

Honestly i can't understand how people can actually enjoy a book with more than 100 pages with 0 literary value! I would really like to understand why people nowadays read this type of trash! :( And also to know if I am the only one that hates Nicholas Spark!:(

Vivisteiner
05-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Who the hell is he?

Did that make you feel better, knowing that I dont have a clue who he is?

Anyway, I hate that :skull::skull::skull::skull:.

EDIT: Maybe its unfair to judge. I havent read it...

rubah
05-19-2008, 05:54 PM
the movie was really good :D I haven't read the book. I think it's popularity is due to the ending though

Shoeberto
05-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh, lots of people hate Spark.

I haven't read the book (saw the movie, though). But I read an analogy once that was pretty good (though it was regarding low-quality movies).

Books like this are like junk food. 0 nutritional value, all empty calories, but if you're in the right mood, it can taste pretty good.

I mean, it's a fairly weak justification for spending money on crap, but it at least offers some explanation.