PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Kirobaito
05-21-2008, 03:42 AM
First Lounge thread I've started in two years. Some elected Lounge King I am. :p

Anyway, anyone else seeing it tomorrow night? This thread can also be used for discussion once it does open up. It's gotten mostly positive reviews, so far (~75% on RT, 70 on MC).

DMKA
05-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Probably not. Shia LaBeouf has inevitably ruined every film he's ever been in for me.

Roto13
05-21-2008, 03:55 AM
I... I can't see it because I... I don't live close to a theater any more....

.... ;______________________________:!!

fire_of_avalon
05-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Nah but sometime this weekend probably. I don't really care about seeing movies the day they come out, I just like to see them.

Big D
05-21-2008, 05:41 AM
I'll see it as soon as possible, hopefully during the weekend - but we'll see.

Breine
05-21-2008, 08:51 AM
I'll see it as soon as possible

This. I probably won't get to see it for at least a couple of weeks or so.

Gogo
05-21-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm going to be seeing it this weekend with some friends. I like Indiana Jones, but I'm not bothered enough to go out of my way to catch it on release day.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
A group of friends and I will be going to see it. We just commandeered a projector in a classroom to marathon the first three movies last weekend. It was actually my first time ever seeing them (non-moviegoer that I am), so much fun was had by all.

Roto13
05-21-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm sure you were thinking of me the whole time. :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
05-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Abso-fucking-lutely, I am! Not gonna be as good as t'other three, but I don't care.

I'm just glad Harrison Ford didn't die during the filming. :)

Avarice-ness
05-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm going to see it once I can get over how old Harrison Ford looks. Of course everyone's all "He looks old because he is old!" but INDIANA JONES is NOT old!

Indiana Jones is sexy and buff, not fat and old. So unless the movie gets taken place like... 40 years after the last movie then it just won't make sense to me.

Roto13
05-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Indiana Jones IS old in this movie. And it DOES take place a long time after the last movie. And he's not fat. You're fat, preggo. >:(

Serapy
05-21-2008, 06:38 PM
This latest Indiana Jones movie sucks so BAD.

Flying Mullet
05-21-2008, 06:39 PM
1935: <i>Temple of Doom</i>
1936: <i>Raiders of the Lost Ark</i>
1938(approx): <i>Last Crusade</i>
1957: <i>Kingdom of the Crystal Skull</i>

It's also rumored that Shia LaBeouf will take up the "mantel" of the whip and Harrison Ford will make an appearance later in the fifth movie as a mentor much as Sean Connery did in <i>The Last Crusade</i>.

Heath
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM

It's also rumored that Shia LaBeouf will take up the "mantel" of the whip and Harrison Ford will make an appearance later in the fifth movie as a mentor much as Sean Connery did in <i>The Last Crusade</i>.

I bloody hope not. It's not Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford as Indy.

Going to see it on Friday after my politics exam. Keeping it all hush-hush so I don't know anything about it yet. Indeed, I've not bothered to read any posts in this thread that related to the the film itself. Really looking forward to it, yet am prepared for the inevitable disappointment I shall most likely feel when it doesn't top Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Bunny
05-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Not interested in it.

Vyk
05-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I was a little leery of the idea when it first started being advertised. Considering nobody knows how to make a movie like those anymore. But some of the previews have re-assured me. If only slightly. I'll probably pirate it first, then if its really worth money I'll go spend money on it (doubtful). Unless some friends wanna go see it. I bet it'd be a good group flick, either way

Roto13
05-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Have you even seen it? :rolleyes2

I was a little leery of the idea when it first started being advertised. Considering nobody knows how to make a movie like those anymore.
Steven Spielberg should, considering he made the first three. :P

Flying Mullet
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Supposedly they used the same special effects techniques the original movies used so it would have the same feel and avoid the backlash the newer Star Wars movies received over their overuse of eye candy. They also tried to make it more fun-serious like Raiders of the Lost Ark rather than a comedy like The Last Crusade.

Hopefully it works out that way.

Kirobaito
05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Supposedly they used the same special effects techniques the original movies used so it would have the same feel and avoid the backlash the newer Star Wars movies received over their overuse of eye candy. They also tried to make it more fun-serious like Raiders of the Lost Ark rather than a comedy like The Last Crusade.

Last Crusade > Raiders

Vyk
05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Have you even seen it? :rolleyes2

I was a little leery of the idea when it first started being advertised. Considering nobody knows how to make a movie like those anymore.
Steven Spielberg should, considering he made the first three. :P

I know, but he hasn't done anything that good in ages. But I guess he couldn't fail quite as badly as Lucas did trying to revive his series

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-21-2008, 09:00 PM
one of my friends said that shia le buff spoiled it and says indiana jones dies in this movie that would suck

Raebus
05-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Thank god people are giving it a chance instead of saying its going to suck before they've even seen it.

Breine
05-21-2008, 09:40 PM

That sounds lame, and so I don't hope that'll be the case.

Avarice-ness
05-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Indiana Jones IS old in this movie. And it DOES take place a long time after the last movie. And he's not fat. You're fat, preggo. >:(

You know I love Indie, but only hot indie. Not Senior Citizen discount indie.
And Your mom's fat. >=[

Roto13
05-21-2008, 10:09 PM

You know I love Indie, but only hot indie. Not Senior Citizen discount indie.
And Your mom's fat. >=[

MY MOTHER IS A SAINT! :mad2:

Flying Mullet
05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
So your mother is a fat saint? :confused:

Roto13
05-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't think she won't eat you all!

Quindiana Jones
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM
She can eat me any day. :jokey:

I Took the Red Pill
05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Unparalleled in its utter disregard for the conventions of a coherent plot. Would someone please tell Steven Spielberg he wasn't billed to direct a sequel to E.T.? Thank God the action sequences provided a crude buoy for the rest of it.

Kirobaito
05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
That was.... wow. I honestly don't know what to say. I know about the mystery of real-life crystal skulls fine, but I was not expecting that. The end kind of ruined it entirely. I think you could have done a hell of a lot better with the premise, than what they did.

Ishin Ookami
05-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Personally, I loved it. The film is a great tribute to the spirit of the first three films. In those there were so many ridiculous set piece and action sequences that it felt almost like a thrill ride except for one thing, the action rocked and it was always hilarious just to see Indy escape from one impossible situation to another, all while throwing hissy fits all throughout the film and screaming like a school girl whenever a snake showed up. I really felt this film preserved that spirit. The actions scenes are as eye popping as they are hilarious, indy may be a senior citizen but he still kicks @$$. And the entire film just feels like something thats been sitting in a vault since 1988. So to those of us around the ballpark age of thirty, I think we will be the ones to really "get" this film and those of the younger generation will be the ones sorta scratching their heads going "WTF" all the way through.

Oh, and as for the rumors of the torch being passed to shia, well lemme just say this. The film states at the end, in no uncertain terms, that the ONLY man who wears the fedora in this family, is Dr Henry (Indiana) Jones. And don't you ever forget it kid!

And no, Indi doesn't die. In fact by the end of the show he's never walked taller. Just don't stay around for the credits looking for the proverbial, final scene. There isn't one. Just stick around for that awesome theme song.

Dah-dah-dah-DAH! DAH-DAH-dah!

fire_of_avalon
05-23-2008, 01:52 PM

Not gonna happen.

You can tell that they did in fact use a lot of the same SFX techniques, but there is quite a bit of George Lucas LOOK AT THE PRETTY EVERYTHING in there too. Especially at the end. I really loved the beginning sequences in New Mexico because you can tell Spielberg really went for a 50's look to the film, even. The spotlighting techniques, especially on Cate Blanchett, were absolute hallmarks of 50's era film making, which made sense as Spielberg was trying very hard to demonstrate that this was a different time for Indy.

Unparalleled in its utter disregard for the conventions of a coherent plot. Would someone please tell Steven Spielberg he wasn't billed to direct a sequel to E.T.? Thank God the action sequences provided a crude buoy for the rest of it.
Hahahahaha. Word.

That was.... wow. I honestly don't know what to say. I know about the mystery of real-life crystal skulls fine, but I was not expecting that. The end kind of ruined it entirely. I think you could have done a hell of a lot better with the premise, than what they did.
I kind of agree with this, but I still liked everything but the last 20 minutes or so. Harrison Ford is still every bit as Indiana Jones as he ever was. Especially when he sees Marion for the first time and he just smiles - that is CLASSIC Indiana Jones right there.

Contrary to what a lot of people were saying, I think Shia LaBeouf did a great job in the movie, aside from the hokey ending bits. "blah blah blah DAD" *giant grin*

It lacks what a lot of Spielberg movies lack - well developed secondary characters. People love them some Spielberg but he's really not that great at directing people.

All in all, I think this movie lacked the class, the wit and the charm the previous three films retain to this day. I've been a fan of Indiana Jones since I was a small child and I always will be, but this one just isn't up to snuff compared to the rest of them.

And I miss Marcus Brody!

Ishin Ookami
05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I actually liked the ending. The villain gets their quasi-mystical and utterly spooky comeuppance, no treasure or relics to take back for fortune and glory, and the way Indy and crew just sat down on those rocks after the aliens leave and watch the valley fill with water, like they are sitting into a comfortable chair at the end of hard days work was pure vintage cheese (of a good sort)

and of course there are the final sequences that really tie off the saga, I felt it lead to a good sense of closure for the series as a whole.

I think what I am really worried about is that the younger generation just won't get it. The first trilogy came out in a time when hollywood was still coming to grips with what was possible with special effects, and Speilberg and Lucas really pushed things as hard as possible. Now it's twenty years later, and FX have more or less peaked with the advent of higher and higher quality CGI. Kids these days are burnt out on the whole "lookit da pretty action scenes" fad and well, when people aren't being wowed by that, you gotta admit that the whole indiana jones thing can be really cheesy.

Me, I loved it all. It made me felt like I was twelve again at the (no longer existing) cederbrae cinemas with a big bag of popcorn in my lap and a large coke and being so bedazzled by everything going on I totally forgot to eat either.

Except this time, it was mineral water and a energy bar, and yes, again I totally forgot about either until the end of the flick. Gotta pity those with weak bladders who see this flick, and those sitting next to them as well I might add.

Tabris
05-23-2008, 02:23 PM
I love the IJ-movies, and have the box set. But I was slightly disappointed by this one, I have to admit. It was - in a lack of a better word - too Spielbergy. With that I mean: Too mushy in the ending (Indy getting married?!, and too alieny. Aliens that look like they did in movies and literature 20 years ago, complete with a flying saucer?! I also thought they overdid the special effects. Not too happy about the whole IJ's son-thing, either. And the greedy traitor is something I've seen before, and it's too obvious too early in the movie that he will end up dead.

Apart from that, it was a true IJ-movie that I really enjoyed!

Heath
05-23-2008, 11:52 PM
I really didn't like it. I suppose I'd be willing to say I hated it, but I think more than anything I was disappointed. The dialogue didn't seem well written, the characters other than Indiana Jones himself felt very unnecessary and didn't play much of a role at all, didn't like Shia LeBeouf's character and the plot was downright lame at some points. I rather liked the mythology of the other films, but being told that the aliens were from the "space between spaces" just seemed frankly ridiculous. foa touched on the secondary characters not having much of a role to play and I was particularly disappointed by the lack of prominence given to Marion Ravenwood. I was looking forward to her addition quite a lot, but she just didn't seem to play much of a role beyond marrying Indy, taking part of some action scenes and shouting about the father-son thing. I liked the father-son relationship in Last Crusade, but I didn't in this one. It just didn't feel right. Ford was good, the other characters were not.

I'd like to say that perhaps I'm holding the other films up in too high esteem and remembering them as better than they were, but I'm not; I watched them very recently and enjoyed them as much as ever, but not this one. I didn't have terribly high expectations, but this film just failed to meet them. There were some good scenes, I particularly liked the opening scene (though it paled compared to the openings of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom) with that nice shot of The Ark of the Covenant at the end of it. Perhaps if I saw this one first, I might have enjoyed it slightly more, but I just didn't think it was good film. The action sequences weren't great, but perhaps I'm being too negative. It wasn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't great.

Flying Mullet
05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Bah, I'm going to have to stay out of this thread until I see the movie. There's too many spoilers to make sense of anyones' posts. :roll:

The Unknown Guru
05-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Last Crusade > Raiders

So's your mother, Kirobaito! Ha, ha ha ha ha!

Shlup
05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Saw it last night. Lol'd super hard. Hubby was very angry.

DK
05-25-2008, 08:59 PM
General consensus from everyone at my uni course who has seen it is that it's pap, with some people just straight up despising it, so I don't think I am going to ruin my childhood memories by watching it.

Del Murder
05-25-2008, 11:42 PM
It was ok. Nothing memorable but it wasn't terrible. It was worth seeing in my opinion. I don't care what people say, Harrison Ford is still one of the coolest guys out there.

Some of the action was pretty far fetched though.

Ryth
05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
Completely butt-smurfed my childhood, terrible film. I could on and on about it, but it'll just give me a headache. So smurf it.

o_O
05-26-2008, 02:25 AM
I loved everything about this movie except that a human was able to ride out a nuclear freakin' blast in a FRIDGE, and then immediately walk out into the intense fallout and still be completely fine after a quick shower and scrub down. That was a little <i>too</i> far-fetched.

Fonzie
05-26-2008, 08:45 PM
I loved everything about this movie except that a human was able to ride out a nuclear freakin' blast in a FRIDGE, and then immediately walk out into the intense fallout and still be completely fine after a quick shower and scrub down. That was a little <i>too</i> far-fetched.

The lead fridge part did make me lol hard.

Momiji
05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I saw it today, I wasn't exactly impressed. The action scenes were nice, but the story was too farfetched to get into.

Raebus
05-26-2008, 10:20 PM
It was great.

*ignores negative comments about the film*

Krelian
05-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I liked it. Some things could have been better, but I can live with how it turned out.

Bunny
05-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Bad movie. Horrible movie. Not a single redeeming quality throughout the entire thing. I liked the first three, but this one was just trash.

Big D
05-31-2008, 04:43 PM
People condemning this film while mindlessly praising the older ones are forgetting that the early films were, for all their understated brilliance, often utterly absurd and whimsical too.

Angry ghosts live in the Ark of the Covenant and can make Nazi heads explode!

Or how about...

The Holy Grail can heal mortal wounds using Jesus Magic, and it's guarded by buzz-saws and a thousand-year-old Crusader who speaks modern English!

The latest film manages to almost exactly capture the same spirit and storytelling as the early ones. Again, it has some basis in historical reality - the geoglyphs, crystal skulls, and ancient art depicting technological marvels being controlled by non-humans. These all exist in the real world. Just as the pre-WWII films included the Nazis' search for supposedly-powerful Christian artefacts, the new Cold War film plays on the investigations into parapsychology, and the hysteria over flying saucers, that were alive and well during that era.

In each of the Indy films, we're expected to believe and accept that history and religion was influenced by genuine supernatural powers - the Ark, the Grail, the Stones and Rites of the anachronistic Thuggees in Temple of Doom. Crystal Skull is *no* different in that regard - except that we're shown and told much more about the 'supernatural power' in question, with less left up to our own interpretation.

It was inevitable that people would piss and moan about this film. There's no real way that it *could* have been made as successful as its predecessors; the old movies are obscured by nostaligia and sentimentalism; for many people, they're more like a myth or a concept that a simple series of motion pictures. By sticking to the "formula", the fans haven't been given too much that's new; but if they'd gone in a different direction, the very same people would be pissing and moaning about how "waaaah, they changed everything and murdered my childhood."

So, to summarise my opinion of the film, rather than just my opinion of the reaction to it:

Character moments? Check. Great to see Ms Ravenwood back again, and to be reminded that Dr Jones is indeed a respected academic. Good to hear that he had some official involvement in the Second World War; that adds some real colour to his character. As before, we have a typically one-dimensional villain, but one played very well by Cate Blanchett, a woman who can do no wrong.

History and fantasy? Check. Plenty of both, used pretty well. As described earlier.

Action and adventure? Smurf-tons. Some nice set-pieces, some great homages to the earlier movies without being a dumb tribute-fest.

Absolutely brilliant, yet not always serious, capturing of the socio-political climate of the '50s, too.

For once, I actually agree with something George Lucas has said: with a movie like this, people start expecting the Second Coming or something, and complain with undue bitterness when they aren't treated to an experience that exceeds the wildest dreams they're capable of dreaming. And nowhere is that more true than on the internet. Give your average internet minion a ten-pound gold nugget, and the first thing he'll do is write a profanity-laden diatribe about how it's too damn heavy.

If you go to see Crystal Skull, remember what you're watching, and why you're watching it. Remember the cackling Gestapo madmen of Raiders. Remember Short Round's antics, the ponderous treks through the Indian forest, and the pointlessly gruesome banquet at the palace in Temple of Doom. Remember Indy killing dozens of men - Nazis, Turks, Americans, Arabs - with no moral or legal compunctions whatsoever. Above all, remember that these films are flights of fantasy, unashamedly and unreservedly, that take ideas and images from the real world and play with them. If you think the older films are utter perfection, works of cinematic art unrivalled in their scope and beauty, the defining works of your life - then you're in the wrong 'mental place' to enjoy Crystal Skull. If you think the early movies were damn good fun, action-packed and over-the-top, yet riddled with humour and character as well - then you're got your head screwed on right, and you're perfectly poised to appreciate Crystal Skull for everything it has to offer.

ljkkjlcm9
05-31-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't get what people are harping about. I watched the other 3 films before going to see this one, and this one was no more absurd than any of the previous three. Seriously, I think people just need to get their heads checked. It felt EXACTLY like an Indiana Jones movie to me.

THE JACKEL

I Don't Need A Name
05-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Big D hit the nail on the head with that one
its as farfetched but amusing as the earlier 3
addmittedly, i didnt like the ending as much as i wished (it seemed a bit of a cop out really) and the UFO was too cliché, but it was still a great film!

Del Murder
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice post, D.

It bugs me when people say that a new movie 'ruins' the old ones. The old movies haven't changed! They are still as good as they always were and always will be, and you can watch them whenever you want.

Miriel
05-31-2008, 07:30 PM
I never saw the first 3 Indiana Jones films. I thought this movie was silly, but entertaining enough. Glad I didn't pay for my ticket though. Probably wouldn't watch it a second time if I could help it.

Cate Blanchett is a goddess, btw.

Ouch!
05-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Cate Blanchett is a goddess, btw.
I didn't even realize it was her until the credits. Then I felt like an idiot because the lips totally give it away. >_>

Bunny
05-31-2008, 10:15 PM
The problems I had with the movie stem from it being absurd to the point of being ridiculous. I'm sorry but Indy surviving a nuclear explosion because of a lead-lined refrigerator? No, sorry. The other three movies may have been absurd but this one was just over-the-top outrageous.

Ontop of that, I had a serious problem with the dialogue. I could not get behind it no matter what I did. It reminded me of the last three Star Wars movies: Bad. Cate Blanchett had horrible accents. Yes, accents as in multiple. She had three or four different ones and they came in at completely random times.

Harrison Ford is old and it showed in this movie. All of his action scenes seemed to be slowed down, which made them unbelievable. I like him as an actor, but I didn't like him at all in this movie.

And the plot. Yeah, I get that it dealt with things that can be found in this world and that the majority of the stuff in the movie was based on some real life historical reality. However, it didn't feel like an Indiana Jones plot to me. I can get behind the Ark of the Covenant, but I can't get behind the storyline behind this movie.

Big D
06-01-2008, 12:09 AM
The problems I had with the movie stem from it being absurd to the point of being ridiculous. I'm sorry but Indy surviving a nuclear explosion because of a lead-lined refrigerator? No, sorry. The other three movies may have been absurd but this one was just over-the-top outrageous.Contrary to popular belief, atomic blasts don't simply vapourise everything in the vicinity. There's also a massive wave of compressed gas, which can indeed fling heavy objects. The most unbelievable part of that scene, for me, was (1) him surviving the acceleration and deceleration of that kind of 'transport', and (2) the lack of a lethal radiation dose from emerging so close to the explosion.

The former isn't so bad in light of Temple of Doom, where the heroes use an inflatable raft as a parachute, and aren't killed by the fall, or by the laws of physics making the raft invert, dropping them to their, er, dooms.

Also, there's the scene in Last Crusade where Indy's dragged along a metal road behind a truck. If anyone tried that in real life - without wearing steel pants - their clothes and flesh would be shredded in seconds. It's completely implausible, but we as an audience forgive that kind of thing due to it being awesome and heroic.
Ontop of that, I had a serious problem with the dialogue. I could not get behind it no matter what I did. It reminded me of the last three Star Wars movies: Bad. Cate Blanchett had horrible accents. Yes, accents as in multiple. She had three or four different ones and they came in at completely random times.One of my best friends is Ukrainian, so I'm used to hearing the accent - and Cate did a decent job. It's not perfect, no, but damn good for an Australian actress.

If you've ever heard actual 1950s teenagers speak, it would become apparent that they actually did say some pretty ridiculous things then...

Besides, Last Crusade had - as mentioned before - a French Crusader with perfect modern English. Indy should've had to speak to him in Latin, Frankish, Occitan - something like that. He'd definitely be fluent in Latin, at any rate.
Harrison Ford is old and it showed in this movie. All of his action scenes seemed to be slowed down, which made them unbelievable. I like him as an actor, but I didn't like him at all in this movie.It only seems 'slow', I think, in comparison to other modern films. In contrast to the older Indy movies, there's a lot of action in this one, and the pace is pretty rapid.

Bunny
06-01-2008, 12:42 AM
So it is okay for the movie to be above and beyond the point of absurdity because the other three were? Sorry, I don't accept that as an excuse. That's like saying it's okay for a movie to be bad because, hey, Ed Wood made bad movies too! It doesn't work that way. Movies should always try to strife to be good and different. I don't want to see the same movie over and over again.

When I mentioned the nuclear explosion, it was for reason A, as you pointed out. And it wasn't heroic at all. It was Indy trying to save himself, nobody else had their lives on the line. That isn't an example of heroism at all. Again, simply because the other movies featured over-the-top action scenes, it gives the writers no right to make this one completely over the top and unbelievable.

I have also heard the Ukrainian accent as well, from a wide variety of people. Her's did not sync up with theirs at all. And, again, it skipped in several places and she went back to her Australian accent.

Big D
06-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Still, you were maintaining that this movie was bad and the others were good - I'm claiming it's consistent with the established 'rules' of the movies, and that the things it's criticised for are in fact no more far-fetched than what we've already seen across the series.

Bunny
06-01-2008, 12:55 AM
I never said the old ones were good. I said that they were absurd but more believable than Crystal Skull. I also said that the other three had a more archaeological feel to it. This one is, at the very core, a movie about aliens.

I don't really care much for the Indiana Jones series as a whole.

ljkkjlcm9
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Still, you were maintaining that this movie was bad and the others were good - I'm claiming it's consistent with the established 'rules' of the movies, and that the things it's criticised for are in fact no more far-fetched than what we've already seen across the series.

I completely agree with this statement. Every single one of the movies was absurd.

I never said the old ones were good. I said that they were absurd but more believable than Crystal Skull. I also said that the other three had a more archaeological feel to it. This one is, at the very core, a movie about aliens.

I don't really care much for the Indiana Jones series as a whole.

They were more believable? I can't agree with that at all. The Ark having magic that killed every person except for them because their eyes were closed? A guy who can pull the heart out of a person, and they're still not dead? Seriously, Indiana Jones was NEVER believable.

Also as stated before, this movie was made to look like the old movies, unlike the Star Wars movies that were far graphically and visually superior. They received criticism for that, so they kept this movie looking like the old ones. The action was no slower paced than those movies were.

And finally, if you didn't like the earlier movies in the series, I see no reason why you would like this one. But honestly people, it was another Indiana Jones movie, totally and completely. If you honestly think it was different, please go back and watch the old ones, because you must have something confused. Oh and they weren't aliens, they were just from another dimension. I suppose that makes them "Aliens" but they're not aliens as we usually refer to them. I guess my question to all of you is, what did you want it to be? There really wasn't much ground left to cover in terms of unrealism. And finally, they originally intended to make 6 Indiana Jones movies when they made the first one... so if this one was too absurd (which I don't understand at all) be glad that there aren't 2 more as well.(though there may be eventually lol)

THE JACKEL

PeneloRatsbane
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
the kids at work were arguing over whether the bugs that attacked were ants or termites? what were they just so i can settle it

ljkkjlcm9
06-02-2008, 08:12 PM
the kids at work were arguing over whether the bugs that attacked were ants or termites? what were they just so i can settle it

They're ants

THE JACKEL

Ouch!
06-02-2008, 08:55 PM

They're ants

THE JACKAL
Best part about those ants: they're real (scroll down to Army/Soldier Ant). (http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html) Warning for language, I suppose. The only thing they got wrong in the movie is that they wouldn't have ant hills. As far as I know, everything else (even the building on top of each other) is really stuff these things do. ; ;

Kenshin IV
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
It was an Indiana Jones movie through and through. If you liked the others, you should like this one. If you liked the others and didn't like this one, then I have absolutely no idea what you were expecting it to be.

And for the record, Temple of Doom was far more absurd than this one. If you want to quibble about absurdities in a series inspired by classic B-movie serials.

The Unknown Guru
06-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Saw it a couple days ago. The style of the film was exactly right, although the fridge was just too dumb. I mean, you would at least have several broken bones after going through something like that. As DK said, the plot was no more absurd than the previous movies, so I'm fine with it.

To me, the main issue with the film was its predictability. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, nobody would've guessed that the Nazis would get their faces melted by the power of God. In Crystal Skull, I found myself predicting most of the major plot points about 10 minutes before they happened.

Examples: The alien coffin that the Russians found in the beginning said Roswell on it. What else could the movie be about?

As soon as Mac started grabbing treasure, he was dead.

From the moment his character was introduced, there was no way Shia LaBeouf (sp?) wasn't Indy's son.

Jings
06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I thought it was an excellent movie. Sure, it went beyond the realms of believability but if you're looking for realism in your films then Indiana Jones, any of the movies, are definitely not for you.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
saw it a couple of days ago, it was so cool, easily one of the best movies of the year

Breine
06-17-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't get what people are harping about. I watched the other 3 films before going to see this one, and this one was no more absurd than any of the previous three. Seriously, I think people just need to get their heads checked. It felt EXACTLY like an Indiana Jones movie to me.

THE JACKAL

I agree. None of the other movies were realistic.. to say the least. I didn't really mind the inclusion of aliens in the plot. Well, when the UFO took off at the end of the movie I was like "this is maybe a little too spacey", but that was it. The movie was very entertaining, and had many classic Indiana Jones moments and action scenes. e.g., the jeep race in the jungle was pretty darn amazing! Also, the fact that Indy had a son didn't bother me at all. In fact, I thought it was pretty neat to continue the whole father/son pattern from The Last Crusade. And the fact that he had the child with Marion just seemed right.. those two characters just belong together. The chemistry between the two is just so effortless and natural. Personally, I love me some Marion Ravenwood and so seeing her return was great! Cate Blanchett was also a terrific villain.

All in all a very entertaining and funny movie that blended in very well with the rest of the series. I liked it a lot. Also, Harrison Ford was brilliant.. He's still such a cool badass, and it made me remember how much I actually love the Indiana Jones character and the series as a whole.

blackmage_nuke
06-22-2008, 10:30 PM
I gotta say my favourite part was when Irina Spalko absorbed the heart of the TARDIS... Don't pretend it didnt happen!!