PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Modding and Mods

KentaRawr!
05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Surely you've seen mods in the past, such as Counterstrike, a Mod of Half-Life. Or the "PSP version" of Half-Life, a mod of Doom. Or maybe you had some fun switching files in PC games.

Anyway, whatever you've seen or done in modding, what do you think of it? What are your thoughts on modding, its community, or mods you've seen?

Share or else. :monster:

Mirage
05-24-2008, 12:24 AM
Here (http://umdlaunch.ytmnd.com/)

Psychotic
05-24-2008, 12:26 AM
I made a mod when I was like, 13 once. It was for Red Alert 2 and had a crap load of new vehicles and stuff. Perhaps my crowning glory was a 747 that went crashing down onto the target building, exploding.

Shoeberto
05-24-2008, 12:51 AM
I made a mod when I was like, 13 once. It was for Red Alert 2 and had a crap load of new vehicles and stuff. Perhaps my crowning glory was a 747 that went crashing down onto the target building, exploding.
Seriously? That's kinda cool.

Mods are great and I'm a big fan of companies allowing their platforms to be opened up to the community for this kinda stuff. It lets some really creative people make really awesome things without having to go through the trouble of making their own engine and assets (though when they do make their own assets, it gets entirely better).

The worst part about mods is how most of them are totally mismanaged with poor foresight and lots of internal fighting. Sometimes you get too many coders and not enough artists, other times it's too many artists and not enough coders, lazy people who promise the sky but give up, etc. etc. They take more dedication from the authors because the only motivation is putting out a final project, and early on it seems like the product is so far away, and it's not like there's any money coming through. So, you end up with 90% of ModDB: Dead mods that seemed awesome at first but just never delivered beyond concept art.

But you also sometimes end up with Counter-strike.

Captain Maxx Power
05-24-2008, 01:28 AM
I've done quite a few reviewing jobs revolving mods, so I know of where I speak. In all honesty some of the stuff that comes out of the modding community, where budgets and demographics aren't an issue, are some of the best examples of gaming you'll ever find. I have a few personal favourite mods for different games but I won't list them here. Suffice to say it's not usual for me to get a mod for a game so good I never touch the original game again.

Madame Adequate
05-24-2008, 01:45 PM
I can't even play the Total War games unmodded, same goes for The Elder Scrolls. Mods can be wonderful things that add a great deal to a game.

Dreddz
05-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Other than with Doom 2 Ive never had much interest in mods.