PDA

View Full Version : Will Little Big Planet be the PS3's killer app?

Vivisteiner
05-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Gametrailers.com - LittleBigPlanet - TGS 07 Trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25200.html)

This game looks really, really fun. Could it be the new Mario?

Or will it not catch on due to the PS3's heavy price tag/ lack of appeal?

ReloadPsi
05-24-2008, 03:31 PM
I wonder how many more games are gonna be "possibly regarded as the PS3's killer app" and then not turn out not to be so?

Vivisteiner
05-24-2008, 03:49 PM
^Yeah, well I never really thought any of the previously hyped games had the potential. But I do think Little Big Planet does have the potential, if Sony play their cards right.

This type of game, as far as I know, has never been done before. It looks super fun and there is practically no limit to what you can create. Thats pretty impressive in my book.

Not to mention that Sackboy is incredibly cute.

IGN: LittleBigPlanet Preview (http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/874/874746p1.html)

Read this.

Dreddz
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I like the idea of user generated content being the focus but from looking at the game I dont see the real fun factor. Are people actually building levels or just playgrounds for you to mess around in? Are you competing at all with your friends when you play this game? Its all well and good you building yourself a Pirate Ship but what the hell do you do with it once you made it? I actually dont get what the purpose of this game is.

On a plus note, its got a great look to it. I like to look at things that arent grey once in a while.

Vivisteiner
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Well, who ever finishes the level in the fastest time wins. Although they also have a lot of co-operative as well. So its like, can you and your friends beat this level faster than anyone else... There are also rewards for completing levels fast enough, like new items etc.

Also, there are a certain number of ball thingys in each level. Between your friends, whoever collects the most wins. So while you are helping your friends complete the level you are also competing with them. Its a fusion of co-operative and competetive.

You can also rate levels, so the best levels are more obvious. And there is a single player mode as well, since the main people already created a lot of levels. (50 I think)

Also, for each level you can create new objectives. Sometimes its a race, sometimes its 'collect the most balls', sometimes its 'get to the end without dying'.

Croyles
05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
There are also enemies and deaths now.
PS3 already has several brilliant games. I dont exactly know what a killer app IS though.

Gilghamut
05-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Here's a link to another view of LBP - MTV Multiplayer » 5 Incredible ‘Little Big Planet’ Details — Including How Enemies Work (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/05/21/5-incredible-little-big-planet-details-including-how-enemies-work/)

Vivisteiner
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Killer application - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_application)

Good LBP article.

Nifleheim7
05-25-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the idea of user generated content being the focus but from looking at the game I dont see the real fun factor. Are people actually building levels or just playgrounds for you to mess around in? Are you competing at all with your friends when you play this game? Its all well and good you building yourself a Pirate Ship but what the hell do you do with it once you made it? I actually dont get what the purpose of this game is.

On a plus note, its got a great look to it. I like to look at things that arent grey once in a while.

I agree.
I still haven't decided about this one,i think it will not be my type of game.Also ridiculously hyped games (with no history to back it up) kinda turn me off...:eep:

KentaRawr!
05-25-2008, 12:37 AM
To those who don't get what the game is, you make levels and objects that go in the level, and play to get to the end.

Bolivar
05-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Well MGS or the mainstream FF series could be considered Sony's "killer app", although they don't appeal to nearly as broad an audience as Mario, despite selling millions of copies each. I think Twisted Metal is going to claim the title later this year/next year/whenever.

LBP has had me interested for some time now, but depending on what other games are released at the time, how good of a vibe i get from the demo/rental, and the pricing will determine if I buy it. I'm not really into paying $65 after taxes on novelty games.

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
^Problem with MGS is that it isnt a mainstream type of game. Final Fantasy on the other hand, sort of is.

There doesnt seem to be much info on Twisted Metal. And it doesnt really have a 'big name' quality. At least, I hadnt heard of it. :p

JKTrix
05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I really don't know about LBP, particularly as far as it being a 'killer app'. I'm sure Sony would love for it to be big, and I hope they do push it as far as advertising and everything to get it into people's faces. I know I certainly want it, but for people who are not like me/us and who don't know much about it may just write it off as some childish game for babies.

In fact, it is rather similar to Boom Blox in this regard.

I think it could become one of the PS3's 'essential games', but I don't know if it could be classified as a 'killer app' until after we know of its success. I think part of being a killer app is actually selling a lot of that particular product.

Bolivar
05-26-2008, 12:57 AM
^Problem with MGS is that it isnt a mainstream type of game. Final Fantasy on the other hand, sort of is.

There doesnt seem to be much info on Twisted Metal. And it doesnt really have a 'big name' quality. At least, I hadnt heard of it. :p

Twisted Metal has lost that quality because the series has been demoted to b-game status, with its only release in years being a handheld game, BUT...

They were pretty popular back in the dizzay, the multiplayer was alotta fun. Honestly, a new entry's online mode, it would never get old.

Big D
05-26-2008, 01:26 AM
This game's concept and visual style look great, but it doesn't have characters from 20-year-old console games, so it mightn't become the PS3's answer to Sonic or Mario.

Hopefully it can get some attention, though. It shouldn't take an 'iconic' character for a game to become a flagship title, so we'll see...