PDA

View Full Version : 2 big gaming choices....

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
alright well my parents finally decided its time for me to bump it up in gaming :rolleyes2

and i have the choices for a PS3 or an Xbox 360

(i cant get a Wii because my parents think its too kiddy and i cant convince them -.-)

so i need help choosing 1, the ps3 looks great, but the only game i would get is MGS4 because all the other games are on the 360 too :confused: so what do you guys think?

which packages should i get too?

Roxxas
05-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Well judging by the fact you are on Final Fantasy forums I'll assume your interested in FF13 and Versus which is PS3 only at this time. Also alot of the better games on Xbox 360 are also PC games and play better on PC anyway. Not all but a large amount anyway.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-24-2008, 09:18 PM
im not really a big final fantasy fan...

Madame Adequate
05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
It depends on what you want to be playing, really. As you see, the only big PS3-exclusive you're interested in is MGS4. A lot of the time games are on both platforms, but have differences (And not just technical ones.) When it comes to online stuff, the 360 is frankly excellent most of the time. Friends, DLC, Arcade, it's pretty fracking fantastic. I can't speak about the PS3 properly as I don't own one, but that system has its own strengths.

Your best bet would be to go to Wikipedia or Metacritic or something, and just find out about a bunch of games on both consoles. That's pretty much the make-or-break factor when buying an item specifically for the purposes of playing games :p For my money, I've been extremely satisfied with my 360 purchase since day one, and it's got great games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, Halo 3, Earth Defense Force 2017, GTA IV, BioShock, Oblivion, Call of Duty 4 - you get the picture. It's a pretty action-oriented system, though, something you might want to keep in mind.

Raebus
05-24-2008, 09:37 PM
im not really a big final fantasy fan...

Buy an xbox360 then. :)

Laddy
05-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I prefer the PS3, personally, the 360 is too much of a casual crowd-pleaser for me, personally.

Raebus
05-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I think it was obvious that it was your own personal opinion after the first personal.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Your best bet would be to go to Wikipedia or Metacritic or something, and just find out about a bunch of games on both consoles. That's pretty much the make-or-break factor when buying an item specifically for the purposes of playing games :p For my money, I've been extremely satisfied with my 360 purchase since day one, and it's got great games like Dead Rising, Gears of War, Halo 3, Earth Defense Force 2017, GTA IV, BioShock, Oblivion, Call of Duty 4 - you get the picture. It's a pretty action-oriented system, though, something you might want to keep in mind.

yea i like action games like you pointed out

also hows the multiplayer aspect, is there 4 plugins? is xbox live easy to get on and such, what can i do with both, did they fix overheating? O_o

Vivisteiner
05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Look at the games.

And if you care about Blu-Ray, factor that in as well.

I only know the PS3 exclusives, which are:

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 2
Tekken 6
Killzone 2
Folklore
Home
Ratchet and Clank games
White Knight Story
God of War III
The next game from Team Ico

And thats all I can think of.

For the Xbox 360, I cant remember them. But I didnt find the list as appealing tbh.

EDIT: oh yeah, Bioshock is coming to PS3. And CoD 4, GTA IV, Oblivion are also on PS3 as well.

Dreddz
05-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Well if all your interested in is MGS4 and a few multiplatform titles then I would suggest a PS3. That was a no brainer.

KentaRawr!
05-24-2008, 11:38 PM
Well, MGS4 will probably last a while with collectibles and the Metal Gear Online mode, but you're bound to get bored of it eventually. Look at some other games you're interested in for the system.

##VOTE: PS3

Iceglow
05-24-2008, 11:58 PM
The 360 is a nice console, theres 4 players yes but the pads are wireless so you just need to turn them on. With the multiplayer, it's brilliant even small games on halo 3 are brilliant fun and when you go on in to bigger games it's even better, just ask my fellow spartan nuts psy, rye, milf, dan ect.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
EDIT: oh yeah, Bioshock is coming to PS3. And CoD 4, GTA IV, Oblivion are also on PS3 as well.

Never said otherwise. Just said the 360 has 'em.

also hows the multiplayer aspect, is there 4 plugins? is xbox live easy to get on and such, what can i do with both, did they fix overheating? O_o

Multiplayer is awesome. You can have up to 4 controllers - go for wireless ones, they're awesome. Battery packs + recharge station is expensive at first but the money should make itself back quickly. XBL is pretty simple to understand, and you get a month's free trial. Yes, you have to pay for XBL, but I personally think it's worth it, because you can hook up with others very easily. What you can play where depends on the games themselves; some have offline co-op, some don't. Most games have online multiplayer in some form, and Microsoft says they all have to have online content of some form. And afaik the new generation of consoles don't have RRoD concerns, but that's no guarantee.

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 12:13 AM
^Yeah, I know. I guess, I just wanted to make sure he knew.

Anyway, in these kinda convos its better to highlight the differentiating factors.

Nifleheim7
05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
I can't speak about the 360 because i don't have one.
But i can say i'm really pleased with my PS3 so far.First of all the PS3 is more reliable than the 360,it's completely silent,it has Blue-Ray,the playstation store demos and trailers are FREE,and it's software library is much more appealing to me than the 360's.

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Gran Turismo 5
Resistance 2
Tekken 6
Killzone 2
Folklore
Home
Ratchet and Clank games
White Knight Story
God of War III
The next game from Team Ico

I would also add to that list,
Uncharted
Siren 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (aka Yakuza 3),although not yet localized...

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-25-2008, 12:28 AM
also, is every xbox game compatible with the 360? i would also like to play a bunch of xbox games that i wanted to play before like halo and kotor :p

Bolivar
05-25-2008, 04:23 AM
^not all of them, it's kind of a hit and miss thing, you'd have to check whatever list they have out at the moment.

I would recommend asking yourself if there are any XBOX exclusives that could top Metal Gear Solid 4 (and likely future MGS titles) or if it's outnumbered by them. Plus - there's a MGS4/PS3 bundle that's packaged with the new Dual Shock 3. Another good PS3 exclusive that I would add to the list that's already out is Heavenly Sword. Also Motorstorm; I haven't played/really enjoyed a racing game in years, and neglected this game early on, but recently I've been hooked.

There's so many things that come with the PS3 package that put it above XBox for me. 1) You don't need to pay for rechargable battery packs 2) You don't need to pay for the internet service, which is about caught up now 3) You don't need to pay for a wireless internet adapter if that's your thing 4) Plays Blu-Ray, which is the heir-apparent to DVD's 5) USB, SD, CF, and Memory Stick drives for you to transfer pictures, movies, and music from your computer, I've saved multiple albums for when I'm working out and the complete Season 5 of the Sopranos on my hard disk.

One important thing to keep in mind is that the games are also on Blu-Ray. In the High-Definition age of gaming, it takes considerable amounts of memory in order to make such detailed environments. Because of the enormous space it takes, you have games like Halo 3 ending up being 3.5 hours long on a DVD. Blu-Ray holds about 6x more memory, so you won't have to worry about multiple discs, short games, or anything like that.

Gilghamut
05-25-2008, 05:10 AM
I would go with the PS3 based on the Blu-Ray offering so much more potential.

For example Resistance 2 (First Person Shooter) aside from it's single player campaign it will have an 8 player co-op campaign (separate story, so you might visit different locations than in the single player game, with different classes to play as), plus the multiplayer maps will allow up to 60 players.

Resistance 2 is expected to be on a dual layer disc which holds up to 50gbs of data.

Avarice-ness
05-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Your parents suck. xD I'd take a Wii before anything else. Kiddy? Kiddy friendly maybe but it doesn't mean you won't still have a good amount of fun on it.

Or so says my addiction to super smash brothers, Mario Kart and soon-to-be-addicted-too Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Either way, 360 would prolly have more games and then from what I'm seeing most games aren't Ps3 dominate anymore, meaning the chances of it made for Ps3 and 360 are pretty good.
Still, your choice. I'd kick my parents ass if they didn't let me get a Wii (even though I have one) luckly for me, My mom and her Bf love the Wii and my Dad's played bowling with us for a few hours when he visited.

Bolivar
05-25-2008, 05:40 AM
plus the multiplayer maps will allow up to 60 players.

damn

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-25-2008, 04:10 PM
after reading bolivars post, i sort of want a ps3 now =/

Breine
05-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I'd go for the PS3. Either of the X-Boxes have never ever interested me, and also the PS3 will have some great exclusives, e.g.: Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Tekken etc. - and also Blu-Ray.

Out of the new generation of consoles I definitely want both a Wii and a PS3.

JKTrix
05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
If the 360s weren't so unreliable, I would provide a fairly decent opinion on why it would be a better choice than a PS3.

But since they do have a pretty high chance of breaking, the point is kind of moot.

If your parents can wait until June 12th, get a PS3. The 80 GB bundle released that day will not only allow you to play most most of your PS2 games (the 40GB versions that are currently abundant do not play PS2 games), but it comes with a rumblin' controller and Metal Gear Solid 4.

I do prefer the 360's library to the PS3's. Metal Gear and Final Fantasy are franchises I can 'do without'. I wouldn't trade my working 360 and my library of games for a PS3 to play anything on the PS3 that is now available or coming in the forseeable future. Which is why I have both :P

Ignorant parents on the Wii thing though. But still, they're willing to pay more money for a 'bigger' console, so run with it I say.

In case it wasn't clear, I did cast my vote for the PS3.
Though really, the DS is my best and favourite system. If you don't have one, I'd put that as top priority. But get your parents to spend the big money first :P

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 07:22 PM
^What exclusives are there for Xbox 360?

NeoCracker
05-25-2008, 07:28 PM

That aren't going to be for the PC as well. :p

And the only ones that come to mind are:

Blue DRagon
Lost Oddysy
Eternal Sonata

Nifleheim7
05-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Eternal Sonata

Eternal Sonata will be coming to PS3 as well.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives) of 360 exclusives.

NeoCracker
05-25-2008, 08:14 PM
Eternal Sonata

Eternal Sonata will be coming to PS3 as well.

Wow, did not know that.

I might just have to trade in my 360 copy, given I don't have a 360, and I prefer the PS3 controller anyway. :p

Psychotic
05-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Here's my take on it. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/2379272-post52.html)

Replace "three" with "eight" though. Still very pleased with what I have.

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Here's a list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_exclusives) of 360 exclusives.
Ahhh, thanks.

Yeah, that list doesnt really appeal to me. In fact, the only games Im genuinely interested in out of them are Lost Odyssey and Viva Pinata. Maybe Halo 3 as well. Maybe.

Wow, did not know that.

I might just have to trade in my 360 copy, given I don't have a 360, and I prefer the PS3 controller anyway
Its supposed to have more playable characters as well in the PS3 version.

Madame Adequate
05-25-2008, 08:37 PM

Ahhh, thanks.

Yeah, that list doesnt really appeal to me. In fact, the only games Im genuinely interested in out of them are Lost Odyssey and Viva Pinata. Maybe Halo 3 as well. Maybe.

The list doesn't appeal much to me, either :p But the 360 has benefits aside from exclusives - not to mention that there are differences between versions (Obvious example being DLC for GTA IV).

Gilghamut
05-25-2008, 09:29 PM
While the 360 will get DLC for GTA IV, the next GTA after IV is up in the air currently as to whether or not it will be multi-platform due to the low storage capacity of the dvd-9 and the lack of standard HDD for the 360 as stated by Sam Houser himself. It's up to MS if they want to work with R* on trying to get the next GTA to fit on the DVD-9:

Rockstar: GTA V Could Be Too Large for Xbox 360 ::: Kombo.com - Video Games, News, Zelda, Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto, Mario, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=6694)

GTA4 Sam Houser Interview from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3167500)

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 09:48 PM
If I were Sony, Id pay a ton of money to ensure that GTA V only came to the PS3.

But yeah, if I were a GTA nut I would be tempted to go for the extra stuff in the Xbox 360 version.

Levian
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
(Obvious example being DLC for GTA IV).

...Democratic Leadership Council?

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
(Obvious example being DLC for GTA IV).

...Democratic Leadership Council?
Dick loving :skull::skull::skull::skull:s actually.

Psychotic
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
DownLoadable Content. The 360 is getting around 10 hours of extra stuff in the autumn, downloaded from Xbox Live.

If I were Sony, Id pay a ton of money to ensure that GTA V only came to the PS3. This is exactly what Microsoft did to ensure the exclusive DLC, and if I recall correctly, that set them back $50 million. I don't think either Sony or Microsoft can afford to do what you're suggesting.

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
^You never know. If there is already pressure to go Sony exclusive because the Xbox 360 cant handle a larger game then their asking price might be lower.

DK
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Sony would have to stump up an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for them to get Rockstar to cut out such a large percentage of their sales. Really don't see it happening tbh.

Psychotic
05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
I think what Sam Houser said has been blown out of proportion, to be honest.

Besides, you have to remember that 360 sales of IV were almost double those of the PS3 (http://www.blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2008/05/12/scoop-gamestop-says-360-has-a-2-1-advantage-over-ps3-in-gta-iv-sales.aspx). (Microsoft themselves put the figure at 60%) (http://kotaku.com/5008206/impress-your-friends-with-these-xbox-360-grand-theft-auto-iv-statistics).

Vivisteiner
05-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, so think about it. If GTA V were PS3 exclusive, loads of people would buy PS3s and Sony would make a ton of money. So although it would cost a lot of money for them to make it exclusive, they could potentially get more in returns.

Psychotic
05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, they could. All I'm saying is that the asking price for Sony would probably be higher than it would be for Microsoft because of the sales. Sony has to buy out 60% of the market, whereas Microsoft only has to buy out 40%.

Bolivar
05-26-2008, 12:53 AM
after reading bolivars post, i sort of want a ps3 now =/

Glad to hear it. If you do end up getting it, we should hit up some Metal Gear Online.

While the 360 will get DLC for GTA IV, the next GTA after IV is up in the air currently as to whether or not it will be multi-platform due to the low storage capacity of the dvd-9 and the lack of standard HDD for the 360 as stated by Sam Houser himself. It's up to MS if they want to work with R* on trying to get the next GTA to fit on the DVD-9:

This is going to be an important issue as R* is infamous for being a company that comes up with big ideas and loves implementing them into big games. They said the initial GTA IV map was going to include an adirondacks and catskills type feature. Like Sam Houser said, their games aren't going to be getting smaller, and if MS doesn't find a way to accomodate this, and there's really no way they could compared to Blu-Ray, I see one of two scenarios happening:

1) Two versions of GTA being released, a San Andreas-esque "big" experience on the PS3 and a more Vice City-like smaller city for the 360

or

2) GTA (insert locale here) being a PS3 exclusive.

Rockstar is in a position where they do not have to worry about sales - all they have to do is release a game and the tsunami of money follows. Out of the PS3's console-selling titles, GTAIV was the first one, so you can only imagine how the install base will be for the next release. Not only that, but many 360 owners also have a PS3, so it's not like their base is being sliced.

With their first attempt on the PS3, R* North brought the 360 to its limit. Looking at their past work, it's really hard to believe that they'd settle for more of the same.

NeoCracker
05-26-2008, 01:55 AM
Don't forget currently with the PS3 being behind in sales is another factor as to why GTA sold more on the 360, simply because it has more consoles out.

With MGS4 coming out, along with those 80GB bundles with it, the PS3 is likely to jump up in the number of sales. Same goes for when other PS3 exclusives start coming out.

In the end, I "Think" PS3 will either be close to, or even more sales, then the 360.

Assuming this happens, given Sam's statement I'd almost be positive GTA will be PS3 exclusive.

Mind you this is under the assumption that the PS3 sales go up that much, which I think is becoming increasingly likely.