PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band

Zeldy
05-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Does anyone else have this? I got it yesterday (well, my brother did ;D) and I've been hooked. As I was very close to completing Guitar Hero 3 on Expert (There are 3 songs that I simply cannot do, no matter how many times I try) I went straight onto Expert when I played Rock Band. I'm currently stuck on the 48th song. I got up to 96%, I was so frustrated!

So does anyone else have it? I couldn't find any thread about it. Also; do you have the guitar, Mic, Drums? the whole jumbo pack? We just have the guitar so far :p

Krelian
05-25-2008, 08:51 PM
If it was cheaper I'd already have it. I'm not sure if I'm ever going to buy it, because I'd want to have the whole set which is simply too expensive. €169 for the set without the game is a rip-off.

Maybe I'll just skip it and wait for the next Guitar Hero which will also include drums and mic :p I would like to try Rock Band, though.

Shlup
05-25-2008, 09:11 PM
It's not out of Wii yet, but I'll have it in a month. I love the drums.

Roto13
05-25-2008, 09:12 PM
When the Wii version was announced, I figured I'd buy it, but it turns out it's exactly the same as the gimped PS2 version. If I wanted that, I'd have bought it months and months ago.

Shoeberto
05-25-2008, 09:20 PM
The fact that they're releasing expansion discs of DLC is making me want to buy the game more, though the lack of character creation option bothers me (for the Wii version).

But I played it on PS2 at my friend's house, and honestly it's still a bunch of fun, even if it lacks some features.

Shlup
05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
What features does it lack?

Roto13
05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
World Tour mode (which is the meatiest one-player mode, I think), character creation, online play (I think) and DLC. I can kind of see the DLC since there's not really any space on the Wii for it. Each three-song pack takes up 100 megs, apparently. That's 1/5 of the available space on a Wii.

The rest of the features, though, are a slap in the face.

Shoeberto
05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Create a character, "world tour" mode (instead you just play through tiered songs a la Guitar Hero), downloadable content, and online play.

Shlup
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Well... there goes the point of getting it for Wii. Nevermind.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Want this so bad. Been kind of looking at the mods to create your own content, we want to be able to do a full drum/guitar/bass/vocals song creation, my roommate's really good with that kind of thing and we'd have a lot of fun with it. I see Guitar Hero IV will have in-game support for it sans vocals, but we just like Harmonix better so we'd prefer to stick with Rock Band if at all possible.

Laddy
05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
It's awesome with friends, but some song choices are lame (Celebrity Skin, ew...), the wrong song (Learn to Fly? In Bloom? Clearly these songs, while good, could've been better choices from the artists), and missing (WTH is Stairway!?!?!?!?) But it's barrels of fun.

I like teh Reptilia. <3

qwertysaur
05-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Had it during spring semester, got it with friends, and one of them paid us back and took it home. We had the whole set, and green grass and high tides would kill on when the guitar part got to the second solo. (Hardest song on guitar) In case you want to unlock all the songs, the code is
RYBRRBBRYB on the press start screen. (Disables high score saving though)

Kirobaito
05-26-2008, 12:39 AM
My roommate had it this last semester. Green Grass and High Tides is the best song in any of the interactive guitar playing games. Took 3 or 4 tries, but I got it.

Zeldy
05-26-2008, 08:01 PM
My roommate had it this last semester. Green Grass and High Tides is the best song in any of the interactive guitar playing games. Took 3 or 4 tries, but I got it.

That is the one I'm stuck on. I still can't get past 96% :p

help me plz.

Slothy
05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Meh. A friend of mine has had it since January or February, and we're pretty sick of the game. Most of the song selection is boring. I can understand the difficulty in finding songs that are good for every instrument, but the majority of them are boring on everything. The lag calibration is also terrible for those of you with HDTV's (though I have a friend who said he had to calibrate it for his regular old CRT, so I don't know what's up with that). We've never gotten it perfect, and it took a dozen tries doing it every possible way to even get it reasonably close. Guitar Hero 2 had the perfect lag calibration so I'm not sure how Harmonix screwed it up this time. And the last thing that bothers me is the drum kit. Part of it is that I am a drummer so things like the feel of the pads and pedal sit poorly with me, but it's also just poor quality. Whenever we play we get a lot more mistriggered notes than we should, and that pedal will break eventually. There's a lot of stress on one area that has no reinforcing to speak of. The worst part is they new about it before it was released but didn't do anything.

Now it's not all bad; the songs that are good are really, really good. The guitar feels great, singing works very well, and the changes to star power make it a lot more useful. I've also played some of the DLC and the songs I played are better than even a lot of the best songs in the game. I just have trouble getting past some of the crappy things this game has going for it, especially when they can ruin the experience for me sometimes.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-27-2008, 04:29 PM
The Downloadable content also includes patches and the like for the game, the lag calibration may have been fixed (I think I remember hearing something about that). And of course, new songs.

Cz
05-27-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm not going to buy this, but I guarantee I'll have a load of fun playing on my friends' copies. Even without the DLC this has a better soundtrack than any of the Guitar Hero games for me, and the variety of instruments means it ought to have tons of replay value. Apparently the guitar parts aren't as challenging as GHIII's, but that's not a problem for me since I suck at these games anyway. :p

oddler
05-28-2008, 04:27 AM
This game is awesome but I got burned out on it from playing so much. I was really impressed with the drums, though. The setup is extremely realistic, far better than playing a guitar with 5 buttons and a flapper. :choc2:

Captain Maxx Power
05-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I've yet to play it. No one at my Uni seems to have picked it up. That or they're just not telling me they have. My mate got the full set. To be honest, GH4's drum set looks a lot better and it may even come out on the Wii long before Rock Band ever does, so I may actually switch allegiances. Well done there Harmonix for shafting non-360 users in the UK, you just lost yourself a sale.

Madame Adequate
05-28-2008, 05:58 PM
At that price? They can fuck RIGHT off if they think they're getting that kinda dough from me.

Roto13
05-28-2008, 06:22 PM
At that price? They can smurf RIGHT off if they think they're getting that kinda dough from me.

And what's worse, now Guitar Hero is going the same way. ;>_> I liked last fall when people who wanted to spend the price of a PSP on one game could get Rock Band and everyone else (me) could get Guitar Hero.

Shoeberto
05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
The thing is, though, it's not like GH is gonna lock you out for not having the drums. You could play through all of Rock Band with just a guitar. So they're not really screwing you, so long as they offer the software as its own thing and don't force the guitar and drum kit bundle on you.

Roto13
05-28-2008, 06:38 PM
They do if you want to play more than half the game.

Krelian
05-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Well done there Harmonix for shafting non-360 users in the UK, you just lost yourself a sale.
In the UK and the rest of Europe...

Zeldy
05-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Well I absolutely adore it, but I didn't have to pay for it, I have a big nerd of an older brother who does the buying :jess: I think games are becoming ludicrously expensive these days.

It's a change from all the songs on Guitar Hero 3 which I think I may have played to death, I've been on Rock Band every chance I can.

ikb4liunoit929
05-29-2008, 12:25 AM
my neighbor is about to get it for her bday, and i am welcome to play it anytime i want!!!!!SWEET!!!!

I Took the Red Pill
05-29-2008, 02:58 AM
One of my friends had it pre-ordered since launch and ended up getting it about a week after it came out in the US. That night was probably the longest gaming session in which I've had the honor to be a part of, totaling 11 hours of non-stop jamming. Haven't really played it since then, but hell, that one night was fun. :monster: