PDA

View Full Version : The reason why we have signature limits

Momiji
05-26-2008, 03:42 PM
So I joined the DoujinStyle forums today, because...um... I felt like acting like more of a weeaboo than usual. However, I don't think I'll be sticking around long, because they apparently don't have sig limits. Because of this, even on a speedy connection, the pages load extremely slow compared to EoFF-- who am I kidding, this site makes MySpace look fast. For example:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/reason.jpg

Two of those images are animated, and the entire signature is freaking ugly. It takes up the whole damn page! So while this moron posts 1 word in his post, his sig still takes up the whole page. And this isn't the only example-- every thread I've visited so far has massive signatures and tiny posts. I know I can turn signatures off and such, but then I wouldn't be able to see my one-image signature. (I like my signature picture.) :p

TOPIC #1: What other forums are you active at?
TOPIC #2: Have you ever left a forum because something about it irritates you (in this case, obnoxiously short posts and obnoxiously long signatures that makes the page load really slow)?

Edited so the picture isn't stretchy ~hero

Rye
05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Currently, EoFF and Twilight of Heroes, the latter being a small forum owned by Huxley's friends.

I used to be active at a few others, but I got bored with them and/or people started to treat me less than kindly, so I thought it'd be more appropriate to leave.

Peegee
05-26-2008, 03:58 PM
EoFF GHF chronicles of george wow ot 4chan

I used to poast at philosophyforums but stopped. And some other forums I'm not telling you guise >:P

Vermachtnis
05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
EoFF, WtW, MedMaroki

Been to a couple of forums where people take things way, way too seriously.

Psychotic
05-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Just EoFF and Something Awful, although I do lurk at a Liverpool forum during the season too. Plus the secret domain. But I shall not speak of that dark place. Not at this time.

Goldenboko
05-26-2008, 04:10 PM
I went to some other FF place once, someone had a Rikku wallpaper as a signature. A wallpaper.

I Took the Red Pill
05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
I am about as active at Fool's Gold as I am at EoFF: not very.

Bahamut2000X
05-26-2008, 04:13 PM
EoFF, GHF, CNC, to an extent GFF (since I am a mod there, but it's a fairly dead forum now >.>).

I used to be a member at this one religious forum. They banned me before I even got to make a post. :cry:

To date though there's few forums I really post on without a good reason (CNC I post on because it's the one for my Ninjutsu dojo) because I find the people or rules obnoxious. I much prefer my EoFF and GHF fixes, some of the only forums that looked good and could hold my attention span long enough.

Shauna
05-26-2008, 04:19 PM
EoFF, GHF and a few near dead forums. Good times are had all over. :p

Tavrobel
05-26-2008, 04:24 PM
ModsByLaz (http://modsbylaz.14.forumer.com/index.php), Battle.net Forums (no posts), and TDA Forums (currently crash'd). I check a TRC forum for the scanlations updates and manga schedule.

Nope. I only go to forums when they interest me. All except the last are active, which suffered a recent server plox and moved.

Rye
05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Just EoFF and Something Awful, although I do lurk at a Liverpool forum during the season too. Plus the secret domain. But I shall not speak of that dark place. Not at this time.

You didn't invite me in April. I spent the whole of April weeping and licking my Linkin Park posters.

Roto13
05-26-2008, 04:31 PM
Sometimes I poke around some other random forums when I'm bored, but this is really the only one I come to regularly.

I remember a newbie thread where someone had an 800x600 wallpaper they'd found as their signature, and they were offering to make more if anyone wanted one. :P

Jessweeee♪
05-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I've only really committed to three forums my whole internet life.

The first board I ever went to was Pokemon Trading Cards Online. I was eleven when I came here, and I thought all anime was lame except for Sailor Moon because I assumed all of it was like Pokemon. The games were pretty neat, though, so I joined. I didn't like the rules. You couldn't post a link to anything. Any link that's outside of PTCO was considered advertising. I got banned for two weeks for linking someone to some stuff they were looking for, because I didn't want to copy and paste the whole darn table. Threads I made that said something like: "OMG I love Apocalyptica they are so neat! I like them way better than Linkin Park. Does anyone around here listen to them?" were closed because they were "spam." I still hung around, though...but they started to die, and I started posting in EoFF a little more, and I haven't posted there in about a year :p
Signature and avatar limits were kind of small...but that's understandable.

Right now I just post at EoFF (my forum home as I call it) and Court Records. I'm still in my newbie phase at CR, though :p

Bunny
05-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Turn signatures off. That's what I do. Creativity pisses me off.

This is about the only forum I go to. I lurk around the WoW Deathwing/Draka forums and occasionally the class forums as well but that's about it.

EoFF GHF chronicles of george wow ot 4chan

1 and 2.

Heath
05-26-2008, 06:02 PM

Besides from here, I lurk around and post occasionally an unofficial Everton (the football club I support) forum, Fool's Gold (as ever a bastion for great debate, thought and Rabites) and that's about it. Occasionally posted at this forum for the Eragon books; I've never read them but I tended to have quite different opinions on current affairs and topics of debate than they did, so it was usually quite fun to debate with them, even if they aren't the brightest or maturest bunch of people in the world. Though initially I did spam a fair bit. I hold a continued grudge against the forum because they ignored my thread suggesting that Sean Connery appearing in the Eragon film (which I've never seen) would've drastically improved it.

TOPIC #2: Have you ever left a forum because something about it irritates you (in this case, obnoxiously short posts and obnoxiously long signatures that makes the page load really slow)?

I don't think so, no. I stopped posting around Delphi forums because they wanted you to pay for all the features that made the place tolerable and also because activity died down a bit. The place just looks so basic and worn now compared to how interesting it looked in about 2002 when I was 13.

Madame Adequate
05-26-2008, 06:09 PM

There's one forum I left because the users were mostly either zealous nutcases who wouldn't let things go, or idiots who judged situations without wanting to know the details. There are a few members I miss, but eh.

And I left FFR because it fell apart.

Roto13
05-26-2008, 06:26 PM
There was one forum I left because the owner was horrible at picking staff members. :P It was for a fighting game, and instead of picking moderators who would be good at keeping the forum running smoothly, he picked ones based entirely on their knowledge of the game for some reason. This ended up with one emotionally-unstable rageaholic, one creepy pedophile who seemed to want to be everyone's cool uncle, and one horrible, horrible /b/-tard. It was pretty bad

Old Manus
05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Here, FG, /b/, /v/, and /r9k/ (in that order)

Forums with too many rules suck. I registered at ACF to troll but everyone was so serious about everything I never returned.

Shoeberto
05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
For topic #2, Fool's Gold lawl

I frequent EoFF, my board (just some friends posting mostly), ASC, and the Alientrap (game development) forums. Sometimes I look in at GHF but not that often.

Momiji
05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
So I joined the DoujinStyle forums today, because...um... I felt like acting like more of a wapanese than usual. However, I don't think I'll be sticking around long, because they apparently don't have sig limits. Because of this, even on a speedy connection, the pages load extremely slow compared to EoFF-- who am I kidding, this site makes MySpace look fast. For example:

Two of those images are animated, and the entire signature is freaking ugly. It takes up the whole damn page! So while this moron posts 1 word in his post, his sig still takes up the whole page. And this isn't the only example-- every thread I've visited so far has massive signatures and tiny posts. I know I can turn signatures off and such, but then I wouldn't be able to see my one-image signature. (I like my signature picture.) :p

It wouldn't look so bad if you used the EoFF classic skin. ;)

The Unknown Guru
05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm active on the Wizards.com forums and here, but that's about it. I also tend to join forums for games I'm currently playing, but I always leave after I quit playing the game.

Araciel
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I used to post on Wizards.com but those guys are far too serious for me for the most part.

EOFF is the only place I call home.

Shlup
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
I've never been consistantly active at any forum but this one. None have been interesting enough to keep my attention.

Tavrobel
05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
It wouldn't look so bad if you used the EoFF classic skin. ;)

It's not about that. You're stretching the tables with the image. And by all accounts, I'm pretty sure he does use classic.

XxSephirothxX
05-27-2008, 12:45 AM
EoFF and NeoGAF, though I lurk more at the latter.

Most forums that are lax enough to allow such massive signatures and the like are pretty obviously crappy in a lot of other ways, too. I've never posted at one, but I've looked at plenty.

Raistlin
05-27-2008, 01:02 AM
I've never been consistantly active at any forum but this one. None have been interesting enough to keep my attention.

You've been around GHF for a good while. :p

GHF is most of my forum life now. I come by here in spurts, and it is currently an fairly active spurt. tGA also in spurts.

For topic #2, Fool's Gold lawl

Yes. xD

chaos_ghost
05-27-2008, 01:51 AM
I was active here and at ranger-power until I left the internet. Now it's here and that's about it.

I remember when I joined this one forum (I think it was Mortal Kombat related) I posted the entire lyrics to a song and a pretty big picture of my favorite adult star in my sig and no one said a thing. I mean come on! I did it just to see what they'd say, and no one said a damn thing! I knew then it wasn't the place for me.

Kirobaito
05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
I am an active member of three forums other than EoFF. I've been a member of Jamey Newberg's Texas Rangers Forum for about three years. I've been a member of Mavtalk for about 4, and Dallas-Mavs.com for less than two.

oddler
05-27-2008, 05:31 AM
I'm only actually active at EoFF and another forum that's pretty... well, pretty. :choc2:

Breine
05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm only active here at EoFF. Some years ago I was also somewhat active at a Buffy fan board (yes! :P). But let's face it, even though I'm a big fan of the show you can only talk about it that much, and so I left it.

Big D
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm only active at EoFF and Fool's Gold. I'm a member at a handful of others - the forum for an online game, and my historical re-enactment group's boards - but my posts at those are so infrequent as to be not worth considering.

I've stopped posting at every forum from time to time, mainly when the people and content stop being engaging enough, or when I'm just too busy with other stuff.

Muhyo
05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
EoFF and a forum of mine that has lasted over a year surprisingly. The problem is that there is no topic and well, the people that can join are people that the regular memebers have seen- even then, staff needs to approve member entry.

Polaris
05-27-2008, 03:07 PM
Appart from Eyesonff, none! I go to premiumrenders.com but now not much because the forum is really slow (and yes they have sig limits), I also visiti FFInsider and PlanetRenders but lately I stopped because honestly the only forum I have been where people accept and respect each other each other is here on EOFF.

Well I am thinking of leaving FFInsider because anything there can turn into a huge fight and the rep mode is just terrible! If someone doesn't agree with what you say they can rep you with a desaprovement which is really stupid! It's like everyone has to think and say the same thing!
I already left PlanetRenders because they stereotyped banners, everything had to be smudged and text with a certain font with the small size and if someone would make smth different it'd be like 'OMG NO DEPTH! TOO CONTRAST! READ TUTS' -.-" And when i found myself drifting appart from what Owen taught me and following what they said I decided to leave and be loyal to myself!

But appart from those forum I plan to leave any other! ^^ Eoff is enough for me ^^

JKTrix
05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
There was one forum I left because the owner was horrible at picking staff members. :P It was for a fighting game, and instead of picking moderators who would be good at keeping the forum running smoothly, he picked ones based entirely on their knowledge of the game for some reason. This ended up with one emotionally-unstable rageaholic, one creepy pedophile who seemed to want to be everyone's cool uncle, and one horrible, horrible /b/-tard. It was pretty bad

The Story of How JKTrix Got Here. I was rotostalking from that site and found him here.

I visit several other forums, mostly anime and videogame related, but this is the only one I really post on with any degree of regularity. Internet forums are just one thing I do to pass the time at work, though. I'm rarely ever on them when I'm not at work.

ljkkjlcm9
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm active here, and PSOW, less so at PSOW now that I stopped playing PSU.

THE JACKEL

Blue Harvest
05-27-2008, 08:45 PM
EoFF is the only forum I frequent nowadays. It's pretty much all i do on the internet aside from facebook, youtube and messengers.

Ouch!
05-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Aside from EoFF, I lurk around the LICD fora occasionally. I occasion across Dreams in Vana'diel every so often, but mostly only when I'm directed there. I just joined a forum for the linkshell I've joined since my return to Final Fantasy XI, because I've been putting that off for about two weeks now. xD

theundeadhero
05-27-2008, 11:50 PM
So I joined the DoujinStyle forums today, because...um... I felt like acting like more of a wapanese than usual. However, I don't think I'll be sticking around long, because they apparently don't have sig limits. Because of this, even on a speedy connection, the pages load extremely slow compared to EoFF-- who am I kidding, this site makes MySpace look fast. For example:

It wouldn't look so bad if you used the EoFF classic skin. ;)I've been using the classic skin since 2001. It stretched it ;)

Relapse
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
eoff, echoingthesound (a nin one, not very interesting), daiphyer (just to get posts to able to leech off of the downloads they have haha), some random forums of bands or games i like, etc.

well i only leave when 1) i'm not interested in the topic they're talking about anymore (eg pokemon), 2) the people there area assholes, 3) its not very active.

so yeah.

Dynast-Kid
05-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Like pretty much everyone has said, EoFF is my forum home! Everyone is so loving and fun!

Besides EoFF, the only other forum I visit regularly are the ones at Astro.com. I don't make that many posts, but I often lurk just so I can learn more about astrology. Plus, almost everyone there is above the age of 40, and I don't want to get close to any of them! They might be pedos! xD

I'm also a member at another FF forum, Blootix, but I haven't been there in AGES. I was also a moderator at Genji (remember him!?)'s forum, but then I got demoted for not being active enough, and then left 'cause it was kind of boring. I also once joined an Avatar forum, but left after like, 5 posts because most of it was boring fanfiction. Not even the spicy slash kind! And I was also a member at my Guild Wars guild's forum, but I haven't played in months, and the last time I checked, we had like, 4 members! xD