PDA

View Full Version : School now like reality tv?

Hazzard
05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/...t-classmate-5/

I found it absolutely horrendous how this child could be belittled, and forced to be scrutinized by his peers. He already had problems, and this idiotic teacher has just added to it, and potentially fucked the poor kid's life up.

What do you think about this article?

EDIT: Above link isn't working

Madame Adequate
05-26-2008, 10:39 PM
I am... beyond sickened. I hope this is some sort of joke. I'm not one for coddling youngsters overly, but a 5 year old? No. No way am I going to sanction being a prick to a kid that age. The woman has demonstrated an utterly astounding lack of educational chops, and should at the very least be fired.

Rye
05-26-2008, 10:42 PM
That's absolutely sickening.

I hope I'll be a good teacher so that I can put people like this out of at least one job.

Roto13
05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
The link isn't working for me. ;>_>

leader of mortals
05-26-2008, 10:49 PM
How could anyone be that sick? It is just disgusting. A 5 year old autistic kid being voted out of class by his own friends because of the teacher. I cant believe anyone could be stupid enough to do this.

Edit: didnt work for me either, but from what milf said I assume it is this St. Lucie teacher has students vote on whether 5-year-old can stay in class : St. Lucie County : TCPalm (http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/23/st-lucie-teacher-has-class-vote-whether-5-year-old/)

DarkLadyNyara
05-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Wow...that's pretty sick. That teacher needs to be fired. Unfortunatly, she probably won't be. :mad:

Cookie
05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
404 File Not Found

Oh God, that is just... I can't even find words to describe how awful this is.

Bunny
05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
The teacher will more than likely be fired, but I doubt it will not prevent her from getting a job at another elementary school. Teachers are fairly high in demand and you tend to take what you can get as a school administrator. Although she won't get a recommendation!

I agree on the point of this entire thing being extraordinarily disgusting.

strawberryman
05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Words fail me.

Roto13
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Why would they even do this? O_o'

Jessweeee♪
05-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I just don't know what to say.

Vermachtnis
05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
That's sad, poor kid. You can't single out people like that, it's just wrong!

Shlup
05-26-2008, 11:05 PM
Actually, teachers are only high in demand depending on where you are. In most places, teachers are getting laid off right now.

Anyway, as a teacher who's sick to death of parents making excuses for their children's poor behavior, I can almost see this teacher's frustration leading her to this. Don't get me wrong, this is way over the line, but I've felt that frustration too.

Poor little kindergartener. :(

Dixie
05-26-2008, 11:09 PM
That kid isn't even in junior high yet. D:

I hope that teacher gets some form of punishment.

Zeldy
05-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Well, it's kinda happened in a few of my classes. Not to the same extent, but a teacher has got so fed up with a student they've said something along the lines of "You might aswell leave, no one even wants you in the room, ruining their education", but we're 15/16, not 5.

That's really sickening really. That poor kid. :(

Laddy
05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Survivor Kindergarten? Ew...

That's... just wrong. The kid has severe autism and they got some five year-olds to choose his future for him? That's...evil.

Shlup
05-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Well, it's kinda happened in a few of my classes. Not to the same extent, but a teacher has got so fed up with a student they've said something along the lines of "You might aswell leave, no one even wants you in the room, ruining their education", but we're 15/16, not 5.

That's really sickening really. That poor kid. :(

Yeah, I've said things kind of like that. More like "If you're just going to sit there and waste our air, don't bother showing up." Or something. I can be pretty brutal. That's middle school though... no way I'd say that to a kindergardener. Completely different animal.

Old Manus
05-27-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the kid was probably a giant dick to everybody in the class, including the teacher, and he was going to be kicked out sooner or later.

Roto13
05-27-2008, 01:34 AM
That doesn't matter. He certainly didn't deserve to be publicly humiliated. He's 5. He's barely even a person. :P

Lawr
05-27-2008, 01:47 AM
My teacher in my first semester classes said he did the same exact thing when he taught in Texas, only the class didn't say what they hated about the student, and he was older.

Maybe if the child were older and wasn't diagnosed with Aspbergers, it might have been justified, because sometimes that's what it takes. And if the teacher really was a bad person who sniffs crack in an alleyway and beats her kids everyday, the school would have probably fired her a long time before this.

XxSephirothxX
05-27-2008, 01:48 AM
She could've at least had the courtesy to have them put their heads down on their desks and vote with a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Seriously, though, pretty terrible thing to do to a kid. Much less a kid with Asperger's.

Shlup
05-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Now you're all starting to sound like some of the parents I work with. "I know my child completely disrupts your class on a regular basis, but you can't give him detention because he's ADHD/bipolar! WAAHH!"

...Nevermind. Sore spot.

KentaRawr!
05-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Rather than have the entire social community he knows express their hatred, why not just have a parent-teacher talk? Golly.

DMKA
05-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Now you're all starting to sound like some of the parents I work with. "I know my child completely disrupts your class on a regular basis, but you can't give him detention because he's ADHD/bipolar! WAAHH!"

...Nevermind. Sore spot.

You poor, poor thing. :p

Shlup
05-27-2008, 04:01 AM
I had to deal with an angry parent last week because I wouldn't let her son go to Sea World. He stole things out of my desk three times. But, oh, the poor baby's on new meds! And, apparently, one of the side-effects is stealing :skull::skull::skull::skull:!

I kind of miss teaching kindergarten. There's no way the kid in question is 1/10th as evil as some of my sixth graders.

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Hahaha...some medicines have a gambling side effect!

...but that's another topic >.>

...and middle school students are the most evil creatures to ever walk the earth.

duckie
05-27-2008, 01:58 PM
That poor kid! That is so terrible. Way to get a kid on the path of self-loathing....
That teacher was way out of line. The vote was bad enough, but to have that boy hear things that people don't like about him.....how crushing!

Polaris
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
That's absolutely sickening.

I hope I'll be a good teacher so that I can put people like this out of at least one job.

Seconded! :( The kid can be traumatized forever :(

Randgris
05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Well law of KARMA would be shooting up her *bleep* threefolds.

Let's just cast a hex on her and be done with it.

Rye
05-27-2008, 06:50 PM

...Nevermind. Sore spot.

No, I definitely relate with you there. While I think a lot of teachers don't know how to deal with kids with special needs, I think a lot of these kids are made worse by coddling parents and kids, and I've only been proven right by examples:

1) My brother was thought to be autistic as a child. His teacher would tell him he only had to do a small amount of the work and he could sit around in school, because of his problems and his medication, but my Mom would make my brother do all of his work. She told the teachers "My son is going to do ALL of the work. He's going to learn." And while he does still have social problems and some speech ones, he's worlds better. He's on Honor Roll and everything.

2) The girl I tutor has ADHD and some other problems, one that remind me a bit of my brother's when he was young, though hers are more with concentration, rather than socialization, because she talks fine. However, her Mom lets her get away with ANYTHING. Her teachers only give her partial work. When she acts up, her Mom is like "____, IF YOU DON'T STOP, YOU CAN'T GO TO YOUR BASKETBALL GAME" but never keeps up her threats. So now, her daughter is academically incapable of pretty much anything, her Mom and I basically do her work for her, and it's pathetic.

So that's why, unless someone's child is genuinely mentally retarded/autistic, I don't think they should be given only partially the work. They should not get huge exceptions.

Madame Adequate
05-27-2008, 07:17 PM

...Nevermind. Sore spot.

So that's why, unless someone's child is genuinely mentally retarded/autistic, I don't think they should be given only partially the work. They should not get huge exceptions.

I don't think anyone's going to disagree with you there, but how do you tell who has what? I mean, overriding a doctor isn't an easy thing to do; they're doctors. They're widely trusted to know what they're talking about. So if a kid gets diagnosed, how can you treat them differently, without saying "I know more about medicine than a doctor who has gone through years of medical school and internship at the very least"? So yes, of course you shouldn't cut a healthy kid slack, but how can you do anything about a kid you consider fine if a qualified professional has said otherwise?

fire_of_avalon
05-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that the kid was probably a giant dick to everybody in the class, including the teacher, and he was going to be kicked out sooner or later.
More likely, since he is potential Asperger's, he just wouldn't work with the other kids or was very stubborn to do things his way. He probably wasn't really mean.

...Nevermind. Sore spot.
YOU BROUGHT THIS UPON YOURSELF.

Old Manus
05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
More likely, since he is potential Asperger's, he just wouldn't work with the other kids or was very stubborn to do things his way. He probably wasn't really mean.Him having social problems doesn't curb his ability to being a giant dick and make fellow 5 year old children not like him

fire_of_avalon
05-27-2008, 11:11 PM
I'M JUST SAYING WHAT'S MORE LIKELY.

duckie
05-28-2008, 12:33 PM
More likely, since he is potential Asperger's, he just wouldn't work with the other kids or was very stubborn to do things his way. He probably wasn't really mean.
Asperger's syndrome is really bad. The kid's social skills are basically zero. You basically can't get through to him. And the thing is, HE CAN'T HELP IT. His behavior isn't under his control because he lacks the normal ability to "think before he acts".

After I learned about this syndrome, I think twice before I judge a mom with a screaming kid in Wal-Mart. That kid could have autism.