PDA

View Full Version : The Blitzkrieg

Northcrest
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Its the last week before vacation and I got this project for social studies. I've been on the internet for almost 2 hrs trying to find out what the Blitzkrieg military tactic looks like. Can someone post an image of what it looked like in WWII and I'm also trying to find one about how during the U.S. Civil War also used this tactic and I'm to compare differences and alikes. Images, explanations, or things that you know can help I'll still be looking.

Tavrobel
05-27-2008, 01:46 AM
The Blitzkreig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkreig)

tl;dr version: offensive strategy employed by Nazi Germany, characterized by fast moving, sudden attacks, usually with large amounts of armored weaponry after the initial attack. If you have ever played Starcraft, the Blitzkrieg is very well demonstrated by the popular Terran strategy "Heavy Metal."

Since the US Civil War is considered one of the first modern wars, the artillery and weaponry used by the North and South would have to be substituted for tanks/other machinery. However, the Civil War is nowhere close to how WWII was conducted, which involved civilian fighting and urban warfare. You'd probably fare better by showing the differences in the evolving war machine. The Civil War was slower and did not move anywhere near as fast. Armies led by generals still met on the battlefield without resorting to urban warfare or complete guerrilla tactics; furthermore, the maintaining of posi<b></b>tions, such as high ground advantage played a much stronger role in the Civil War.