PDA

View Full Version : A little declaration of war

Citizen Bleys
11-25-2001, 08:00 AM
I very nearly made a very large mistake.

<a href=http://www.fflegend.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1705>read this first</a>. This was the first thing I wrote to address the void that was growing inside of me, along with some of the replies I got from the people at FFL. I originally typed that up for posting at the Callahan's Place forum at Bastardly, but that's a private forum, so you can't see the replies I got there, although what Phoenix and Chickencha said there made a big difference to me.

Now read <a href="http://citizenbleys.virtualave.net/lostmagic.txt">this.</a>. I logged on tonight to post this. Fortunately, I guess, I decided to check the forums first. What Phoenix and Chickencha said, combined with Unne's timely return, which blows my original theory out of the water, have made me decide that leaving would be a big mistake.

Chickencha said that he thought I could make a difference here. <b>I bloody well mean to try</b>. I'm going to bring the magic back if I have to destroy my immortal soul to do so. This is what's going to drive me from now on. The magic <i>will</i> return, because, by God, I'm NOT running away anymore. I'm going to go on fighting for EoFF, no matter what it takes.

This means you can look forward to a lot of silly posts. The mods will be closing them, I can promise that. It might make Britt, Asorie, and Scottie de-admin me. Yes, they can do that. It might even wind up with me being banned. No matter the price, I mean to have the magic back. I can be defeated, but I won't give up.

So take your best shot now. Flame me, make fun of me, threaten me, whatever you want. I'm waiting and watching. I'm not just doing this for EoFF. I'm doing it for me. Go ahead. Call me selfish. Call me hypocrite. Do your worst. If you've ever wanted to take a shot at Citizen Bleys, now's your chance. You have my permission.

Shoyku
11-25-2001, 08:03 AM
*gasps*

well... all I have to say to you is...

ROCK THE ESTABLISHMENT!!

Citizen Bleys
11-25-2001, 08:06 AM
I'm <i>part</i> of the establishment. I don't want to bring the house down, I want to bring it back to life.

Shoyku
11-25-2001, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Citizen Bleys
I'm <i>part</i> of the establishment. I don't want to bring the house down, I want to bring it back to life.

yeah, I'm just very tired at the moment... I'm not even thinking before I post, it's just something I do from time to time

Doomgaze
11-25-2001, 08:32 AM
Well, if you really think you can do it, I will wear this silly hat to support you.

It's not helping? Well, good luck with your non silly hat plan.

Britt
11-25-2001, 08:43 AM
...please read your private messages, Bleys.

What big things occur whilst one scribes a heartfelt message...

Rainecloud
11-25-2001, 09:06 AM
I agree with what you are saying Bleys. I too want the old EoFF back - The old EoFF of 9 months ago. I know some of you probably don't agree with me, but that's just my own personal opinion. EoFF was more fun back then.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-25-2001, 09:19 AM
This EoFF is tolerable, good enough to keep me around indefinitely, but I would like back the EoFF of 14 months ago. BOU was an admin, and Cid & co. would post while drunk, and Drex was such a dastardly spam whore, and Bleys was turning out new Frig chapters regularly in the Fan Art/Fan Fiction forum, and edczxcvbnm was <i>this</i> close to getting banned, and...I dunno. It was good.

*awaits Otaku Excell*

Eternal Snow
11-25-2001, 09:23 AM
i kinda agree too, i mean, EoFF seemed to haf changed for quite a long time...... n no offense, the change goes a lil downwardz..... it sorta made me lose interest in EoFF for some time...... anywayz, i'll most probably support u in this thingy......... gd luck mate........

Mikztsu
11-25-2001, 09:33 AM
I've said it before that my first two or three months here were most enjoyable (Dec 2000 - Feb 2001), and I haven't really been able to give reasons for it. Maybe it was because everything was new and all that, as EoFF was my first Fora and really is my only one.
Maybe it just doesn't feel the same anymore because you can see the same threads repeated every few months or so, and it feels like you just replied to a thread like that yesterday? Also, you mentioned how much it hurts when all these people who were in here in your "old times" hurts. The Fora is all about these people, and when they leave it can feel a bit melancholy remembering how nice it was when they were around.

I have no idea how old times are you talking about. You have been in here heck of a longer than I, but when I joined here (mid December), I noticed you from your silly threads and I enjoyed them quite a lot.:) I don't know how much they had to do with the fact that my newbie days in here have been the best, ya know??
But to me personally, it could bring back a bit of that old (to me ) feeling, the newbie days feeling. And I'm not saying this only because I want this "feeling"; I enjoyed and enjoy your threads and post. I love EoFF evethough it might have changed a bit.

So, I'll be looking forward to see lots and lots of threads and posts from you Bleys.:tongue: Good luck, and I'm sure it'll rock the place ("rock" in a good way, of course).

Rei
11-25-2001, 10:01 AM
I don't think it's healthy to become so attachted to a message board that you receive a 'gaping void' if you leave it, or even contemplate leaving it.
It's just wrong.

And launching a one-man crusade to return said message board to its 'glory days' is beyond me.

Idiocy abounds.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-25-2001, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Rei
I don't think it's healthy to become so attachted to a message board that you receive a 'gaping void' if you leave it, or even contemplate leaving it.
It's just wrong.So why did you come back?

Rei
11-25-2001, 10:11 AM
1. To piss my family off
2. I couldn't stand to make fun of people only at school

Sugpo
11-25-2001, 10:22 AM
1. To piss my family off \-Rei
2. I couldn't stand to make fun of people only at school /- Rei

xD

Iseult
11-25-2001, 10:32 AM
Well, not having been around during the magical days of old, I will have to take your word for the fact that it was fun.

I do however think that Unne has done a great job while he was here, and admire him for his dedication and fairness.

I do agree that the threads get too serious sometimes and think it would be nice to have some that were a wee bit more fun. I don't think we should do away with the others though as I think that some very valuable exchanges have taken place there. It is great when people with wildly divergent points of view can come together in a safe environment and exchange their ideas. I think this promotes tolerance.

Good luck in your quest to restore the magic. This should be interesting.

Frihet
11-25-2001, 10:43 AM
I can agree, to a certain extent. When I came here last autumn, everything was new and exciting, much as it always is when you're new to a message board. I remember my samurai avatar from FFT that I had, as well as the Ultros one, and how I admired you (Bleys), Drex, Del, NeX, and all the other rad veterans. xD Everything seemed much more (WARNING: excessive use of corny adjectives ahead!! You have been warned.) vibrant, lively.. and.. colorful? But hey, that's the way it always is when you're new to something. Every now and then, when I overcome my fear of being a newbie, and give in to the joys of being part of something completely new by signing up to a new message board, I get that feeling. I'll grant you that it's not as strong as when I joined EoFF, but it's always something. I can't promise you that I'll help you in your quest of reviving the old Eyeson all the time, since I'm not online that often anymore, but when I'm able to, I'll try.

Super Christ
11-25-2001, 11:06 AM
*standing ovation*

Unfortunately, I was not around for these old days you talk about. For me the old days were back in January. I always seem to end up at a place just after the great times end, and just before the good times begin to go. But the good times left, and the stories of the great times, are enough to make me fall in love with a place. It's that way here, and a few other places. I really don't feel like mentioning them here, but I will say that at one of them I'm the only one left carrying the torch, and though a return to the old days is possible, it will take a herculean effort. I'm willing to help out the same here.

The point I'm trying to make is that you have me cheering you on. I know I can't feel quite the same you do, as I wasn't around for the 'Good ol' days', but perhaps a new good ol' days can be brought around. And then we can all see how it's supposed to be. I'll make it a point to look for your new threads and participate, and once I get the idea I may be able to come up with a few on my own. Good luck to you, Bleys!

Shattered Chest
11-25-2001, 11:41 AM
Yup yup, I wasn't here either for the Good Old Dayishs, but I'll wish Bleys Good Luck, for I would like to see what that MAGIC you speak so highly of is.

Yuff:mog:

Dew Drop
11-25-2001, 12:03 PM
<font color="pink">Bleys:
I understand you want to bring back the past but it's gone. Many of the people on this board might disagree with you that this place has lost it's spark.

I think its magic is stronger than anything else on this earth.

If I feel down, where do I go? If I have done something I'm proud of, who do I tell? If aliens have tried to abduct me, who do I laugh with? The answer to all of these questions is EoFF.

Just because it's not the same as it used to be does not mean it's no exciting. I love this place more than I do blinking (damn it, Helen - UK big brother-)!

The truth is you may make spammy threads and get de-adminned...but what is that going to do? Surely having your position taken away from you isn't going to make people feel better, it'll make things worse.

But on the other hand...

RAWK THESE BOARDS BLEYSIE!!!

Burtsplurt
11-25-2001, 12:06 PM
For the first time since I came to EoFF I'm excited.

Gambatte.

Wyllius
11-25-2001, 12:07 PM
Fight the Power Bley-*Shot by a Sniper*

Killy
11-25-2001, 01:16 PM
Maybe its time to change some Stuff here, we need less posts in the Gen chat... We have to change something, bring new things. I joined in September andd I think its not even the same now. Some people post only in the Ffs forums, and some of these are really good people need an example? Koi Lung Fish, he post in the FF7 forum. If we bring some of them in the Gen Chat, it will be better.

Lock all the forums for a day and mark the posts as Read for everyone. This break might do something good...

Fledge
11-25-2001, 02:14 PM
I remember Drex! And the episode with his singing audition...and his stolen pencil bag. And what was his post count? About 4000? Where the frack is that guy anyway?

While you're at it, bring back Silverlocke and Emerald Aeris. They thoroughly disliked me, hehe...:D

Old days indeed *applauds Citizen Bleys*

Citizen Bleys
11-25-2001, 02:40 PM
Thanks for your support. I'll do my best.

Starting tomorrow :p

I really should be getting ready for work instead of surfing the 'net.

Frihet
11-25-2001, 02:56 PM
Are you going to try getting some of the people back here again, in addition to.. uhm, 'Rocking the House'? xD

It can be done. I've done it myself in the past. It's all a matter of perseverance.

crono_logical
11-25-2001, 03:35 PM
I say go for it - there's something about EoFF that makes it not as interesting as it was even 4 months ago, that's why I post around much less than I used to :)

Rodarian
11-25-2001, 03:49 PM
Bleys....I've been here I think summer of 2000, don't know whether that counts as the good old days but I think it did. I remember then, the memories were incredible, there was total happiness. It was my first to ever join a messageboard and I tell you it was bloodly amazing! All the la Orignal peeps were there and you all welcome me with open hearts and I loved you all since. Sure there were times of the rough and times of bloodly insanity but everyone was there for each other including you. You are one of keepers of the flame that keeps this place alive. Sure the past is gone but the memories are still there and look at the future of Eoff, it's teaming with activites never seen before, a new generation with old generation around to give advise. We've got embraced them to just how you all embraced me. A time will come when all the oldies will be gone and new line of Eoffians will take over to show off the wonderful magic we kept. Bleys don't leave now because this board constantly attracts people to join because that's how good our board is. I won't lie to you that one day I may drop out of the light f Eoff but I still will remember it enough to come back once in a while to check it out. Bleys if you do leave, I show all the emotion and hell to you if you want that!!:laugh: so now I say one word..

Stay...

(I bet that sound totally retarded to you)

The Rodarian of Knight(Knight of Nights)

Raistlin
11-25-2001, 04:22 PM
*reads the first thread*

I'm gone? Damn...do you guys miss me? *looks around*

Anyways, irony aside, I really do hope you succeed Bleys. I remember EVERY staff member besides Sean thinking you were just a spammy cracker that should be disciplined. Heh, I had it up to here with Skydiving or whatever threads every-other day. LOL. It was fun. The times when Britt and Heero first came here...like Feb-April of '00. Those were the days.
Hell, I might help you out a bit. I didn't nearly take over NUTs and SOCKs for nothin', ya know.:D

Alpha
11-25-2001, 04:30 PM
Jeez, about half of our Admn's/mod's have left us already.

*hands in resume*

You'd better stay CB, we need more people like you.

Twisted Heat
11-25-2001, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Rainecloud
I agree with what you are saying Bleys. I too want the old EoFF back - The old EoFF of 9 months ago. I know some of you probably don't agree with me, but that's just my own personal opinion. EoFF was more fun back then.

I want it back too! I think Bleys has a great idea! Lets bring back the old EoFF that everyone knows and loved...The FUN loving group...
We bette have a new years party this year that will beat-out the 2k party!

Kawaii, what you mean the Otaku to excell? like do better than eyeson? I'm at that place too!

Danni
11-25-2001, 05:07 PM
*standing ovation*

Bleys, that's one of the most wonderful things I've heard in a long time. The internet has come quite boring to me as of late. I used to love coming online, and used to have fun here.. but as of late I've become quite the lurker. I miss the old EoFF.. the one I joined a year ago. Bleys, If you want to bring it back, rawk on! I'm fully behind you and you're decision, and if you get banned, or anything else of that nature, then perhaps you've ignited a spark within the rest of us and we will continue the fight, or at least.. bribe the others into letting you back. ;)

ChibiRinoa
11-25-2001, 05:40 PM
That post on FFL, about you leaving eoff, that scared me half to death man! Really. You were and are the most enjoyable thing on eoff. Bleys Posts were always something to watch for, so incredibly wierd&funny. And how can I forget the guy who welcomed me with: "Ahh, I smell a kindred spirit. I too posted my newbie thread in Eyes on Eachother." It's the only post I really remember from my newbie thread. :) Well, what I'm trying to say is, Go Bleys! I'll be with you 100%. :D

Rodarian
11-25-2001, 05:42 PM
That's right Danni we do need the old flame back but lets make it retro!

I still back what I wrote before but we need to feel our wild side again too! :laugh:

Can anyone handle that!

Dr Unne
11-25-2001, 05:51 PM
<i>Thanks for your support. I'll do my best.

Starting tomorrow.</i> --Bleys

May God have mercy on our souls.

StooJ
11-25-2001, 06:05 PM
Another blooming newbie here.

My incept date at this forum was : 11-01-2001. This is my first forum. Hell, I'd never before used the net for more than email. I came here, and I hope I settled in pretty well. I've been amazed at the people here, friendly, intelligent, diverse... it's been a great month. However, after a few days, and some frantic posting on my part (10.06 posts per day - I'm embarrassed), I began to realise there was a dark cloud that hung over this great place. I heard the name cid mentioned in hush tones... or often just called you-know-who. I saw Dr Unne's very sad announcement that he was stepping down, and then further announcements asking people to stop bothering him with well wishes. And I saw Citizen Bleys, who I'd come across a lot when he'd posted in threads I checked. There was an overwhelming sadness in his manner, and it made me pretty sad too.

I've invariably posted seriously. I find the serious discussions here, very helpful to me. Here is a bunch of 15 - 25 year olds, (some younger, some older too), stuggling to make sense of this crazy, weird and quite often downright stupid world we live in. They're searching for faith, for a purpose, for reasons, just like I have been. Trying to understand life and death. It's the way people our age are, and this place helps me immeasurably to accomplish that.

However, on a count of my posts usually being serious, I usually find them getting extremely long (like this one, come to think of it...). Long winded, stretched out... I'd like to be able to let loose every so often. Spam sounds like fun. Can I do it? Man, we're teenagers, young adults, we're meant to be having fun! So lets not jam ourselves into such a serious mindset. I'm with you here, Bleys, all the way. I've heard of this EoFF, the EoFF in the before time, the long ago... And I'm very sorry I missed it.

Dark Holy
11-25-2001, 06:06 PM
Yeah! I'm with you all the way Bleys! umm.. not literally, but I'm there in spirit! Woo! *throws Bleys a roll of banana stickers* Hang on to those, they'll come in quite handy.

Rodarian
11-25-2001, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by StooJ
Another blooming newbie here.

My incept date at this forum was : 11-01-2001. This is my first forum. Hell, I'd never before used the net for more than email. I came here, and I hope I settled in pretty well. I've been amazed at the people here, friendly, intelligent, diverse... it's been a great month. However, after a few days, and some frantic posting on my part (10.06 posts per day - I'm embarrassed), I began to realise there was a dark cloud that hung over this great place. I heard the name cid mentioned in hush tones... or often just called you-know-who. I saw Dr Unne's very sad announcement that he was stepping down, and then further announcements asking people to stop bothering him with well wishes. And I saw Citizen Bleys, who I'd come across a lot when he'd posted in threads I checked. There was an overwhelming sadness in his manner, and it made me pretty sad too.

I've invariably posted seriously. I find the serious discussions here, very helpful to me. Here is a bunch of 15 - 25 year olds, (some younger, some older too), stuggling to make sense of this crazy, weird and quite often downright stupid world we live in. They're searching for faith, for a purpose, for reasons, just like I have been. Trying to understand life and death. It's the way people our age are, and this place helps me immeasurably to accomplish that.

However, on a count of my posts usually being serious, I usually find them getting extremely long (like this one, come to think of it...). Long winded, stretched out... I'd like to be able to let loose every so often. Spam sounds like fun. Can I do it? Man, we're teenagers, young adults, we're meant to be having fun! So lets not jam ourselves into such a serious mindset. I'm with you here, Bleys, all the way. I've heard of this EoFF, the EoFF in the before time, the long ago... And I'm very sorry I missed it.

StooJ..You should have been here from the very begining, people like you is what make Eonff one the greatest places on the net to be on and yes you are going to be one the special people for the time to come.

Is everyone ready to defend our site from the darkness? Are you ready to defend Eyes on Final Fantasy before darkness takes over and the Eyes will close forever on our fantasy?I'm ready.. *brings out his Gunblade Nemesis*

Lets do it...

Pancaek
11-25-2001, 06:29 PM
I, too, have noticed the board go downhill, even though I must have joined in the midst of its downhill-going. I remember going through the old ezBoard, and it looked like so much fun. I want that fun back.

I fully support you, Bleys. =)

Mindflare
11-25-2001, 06:38 PM
<font color="00cccc" size=1> *supprorts Bleys all the way*

EoFF was well on the downhill when I joined in March, but I could still see hints of the things you are talking about. I'm sad to have missed it, but I really think that this could strengthen EoFF again. Make it the way it was before. I really can't wait.

Killy
11-25-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Skye-chan
I, too, have noticed the board go downhill, even though I must have joined in the midst of its downhill-going. I remember going through the old ezBoard, and it looked like so much fun. I want that fun back.

I fully support you, Bleys. =)

Can we still visit the old Ezboards Forums?

Cyan
11-25-2001, 07:06 PM
Quoth the Lorax.......

if you take this seed and plant it maybe the Lorax and all his pals will come back.........;)

Godspeed, Godspeed

Nait
11-25-2001, 07:08 PM
You have my blessing, son. Go into ROCKING PIECES that shall bounce around here, creating life!

edczxcvbnm
11-25-2001, 07:12 PM
Quit your whinning and leave already? That isn't me. Quit your whinning and just do what ever you are going to do already. That sounds betterz. Applies to all cases.

I agree this place has gone down the crapper. I don't post a whole lot at all any more. I do wish this place was back in the good ol' days like Kawaii said. Drex, Linus and Kawaii in the post war with me about 100 behind with no chance to catch up :P. BLARG! I could swear and get away with it as long as it wasn't excessive.

Bleys could make his illogically logical posts. I never really liked them because they are a true meaning of spam but "Its a part of EoFF" I was told. I never really cared for them. The only one I like was the one about ninjas. Who doesn't like ninjas?

But times change. Bleys can't makes his posts anymore because of what I will now call "Dr. Britt syndrome" Britt and Unne are not bad people but far to serious and with out the crew of mods we use to have their serious intellectual influnce has spread to the point where we are now. Its not always a bad thing but it is too much now. That is just me. I am no better than they are...I am just on the other end of the spectrum. Total chaos and fun. Seriousness is not for me. There needs to be a balance again.

I would join you in your quest to return things back to the old days and raise some hell but I would get banned by this new leadership and era in a second.

Bleys has always = Coolest mod alive

I may revive that awesome game Princess Usa made....That might help. It has been on my mind for a while. I am surprised no one mentioned her in the list of forgotten people.

NeX
11-25-2001, 07:29 PM
Well I don't see my name being mentioned anywhere, therefore I don't think my return makes a difference on your opinion or the old EoFF order...

However Bleys, for what is worth, reading all of that reminded me of how I felt when I left this place, the main reason was because I moved and had no DSL for 4 months, I couldn't stand dial-up, so I am on your side completely.

First off, let me start telling you it is really unhealthy to become so extremely attached to a message board, but I cannot judge for I was almost in your position once with this same place, so with that out of the way let us start the ranting.

Words cannot describe the EoFF of old, it was almost magical, we would post all day long then talk all night long at the chatroom, everyone was best friends with everyone else. We all had a common enemy, Tonberry, remember him? Now he's like comparing Golbez to Sephiroth, then eventually we had edczxcvbnm, not as bad, but someone to target and blame for most of the spam going on. I too miss it, greatly, I already made a come back a few months ago, it was horrible, I decided to leave before it was too late, none of the regulars were here, it was a whole other message board, it still feels that way somehow.

My welcome back thread has made me change my mind, you posted there, Del, Unne hasn't posted, and when I read he left I felt incredibly bad, BOU is nowhere to be found and neither is Cid, those are two big voids, but Britt is still here, Usa posted a little message, Kawaii seems to be pretty active, Agent Proto posted some threads in the FanArt forum.

All I can say is that I'm back, and hopefully for good, I'm going to start posting more pictures in the FanArt forum because I feel the need to draw again after being away from it for so long.

Leave us, don't leave us, that is your decision, I'm back, I am willing to adapt to an extent, I've already found some newbies who remind me of old EoFF, people like Mars who I share at least one thing in common we both enjoy Smallville deeply, without BOU, Cid and the other key players this place will never be the same, never. So let's be happy that there are still others around like Britt, Kawaii, Agent Proto, Usa, and the always loved/hated Del, I will not mention them all but you know who you are.

Bleys, you are one of those key players, and I see some newbie potential here like I mentioned before. Gaming-wise this place has gone down the crapper, I went to the Gaming forum and it's just an unanimous hate towards the X-Box, I was horrified, people was being extremely biased, with deep, smart comments like "Microsoft is the devil and Bill Gates is a demon so I don't want to give it a chance" But games are not the reason I come here, I use IGN for that, I come here to just relax with friends and talk about important stuff like why kuppos like nuts and not berries or what's the name for those plastic things at the end of your shoe-laces.

In a nutshell, I'm back and willing to give this place another chance, I'm with you in making it what it used to be, not matter what it takes, I support you if you want to fix it and make it at least 10% what it used to be. The most important thing to achieve that is to make the vets stay no matter what, we can't afford to lose someone like Del, Britt, Unne or you, then we'll all be in real trouble, if people like them decide to leave and never come back then say good bye to NeX too eventually, so let's stick for a while and try to fix it, for old times sakes.

I propose that we make an old EoFF forum here at the boards, even if it is temporary, with a password, for vets only, you know, the people from a year ago like us, not to diss out the newbies, but just as a strategy to lure back the ones that are gone, then we send Cid, BOU and all the others that have left us an e-mail for the first EoFF reunion, sort of like a class reunion. I am sure most of them will not resist the temptation and once they are here, among the ones we have always loved, once they see this place could come back to being what it used to be I think most of them if not all will stay and give it another try.

I hope I helped at least little because man, you know how I hate typing so much stuff at once!

Endless
11-25-2001, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
<i>Thanks for your support. I'll do my best.

Starting tomorrow.</i> --Bleys

May God have mercy on our souls.

I think that's Bleys' point. We need to meet the devil within us from times to times.
We'll see what it brings.

Raistlin
11-25-2001, 07:45 PM
Dr. Britt Syndrome...Hehe.

*remembers conversations in the Staff forum a while back where Britt wanted to have a mass-kill spree of all spammers*:p

Well, maybe it is appropriate.;)

<i>May God have mercy on our souls. </i> -Unney.

*remembers Bleys from EzBoard*

You may need more help than that.

Big Ogre Umaro
11-25-2001, 08:22 PM
Dammit NeX I'm not gone. I just don't feel like cleaning up after you people anymore. =O Heh. I don't see where people got the idea that I was gone. The longest I've gone in the last two years without checking these boards was a week and a half last summer, and half of that wasn't by choice.

And your idea...*gets shot by a sniper*

NeX
11-25-2001, 08:37 PM
BOU! Well this people made it sound like you were long gone buddy, I've been back for 24 hours only :) But I'm glad you are here, you are a big incentive buddy, now get your butt to my welcome thread and post something! :)

Britt
11-25-2001, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Raistlin
*remembers conversations in the Staff forum a while back where Britt wanted to have a mass-kill spree of all spammers*:p

I did not! xP

Ed, as far as I'm concerned, you can take your twisted little nitpickings and whine to someone who cares. I'm not under the impression that we do.

Spatvark
11-25-2001, 09:02 PM
"We gotta take the power back"

Let rip with the sillyness; release the hounds of stupidity and lets just have some damn fun...

In my short time here, I've had fun, but nothing that could really let me rip with my stoned insanity... now the revolution has come, the world has turned full circle and now is time to break free and mock all that we wish; cast the chains of seriousness asunder and laugh as you have never done so before... we're born, we die; we might as well enjoy the bit in the middle... and goddamn it, I'm gonna enjoy it as much as I damn well please...

Bleys, lead us into battle...

"F*@k you, I won't do what ya tell me
F*@k you, I won't do what ya tell me
F*@k you, I won't do what ya tell me
F*@k you, I won't do what ya tell me"

Dr Unne
11-25-2001, 09:28 PM
I was only kidding about the "God have mercy on our souls" thing. It's called sarcasm. :) I don't think you realize what Bleys is capable of. I'm getting a mental image of a jar full of snot and Bleys urinating in a cat's litterbox. *shudder*

If Sean had stayed around, things would've been better. But we just have to make do with what's / who's availible, right? If any of you think that EoFF is crap now, and I'm the reason, I apologize.

Anyways, we should prepare for what Bleys has in store. I don't think it's going to be pretty.

ChibiRinoa
11-25-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
I don't think it's going to be pretty. Maybe not, but it sure as hell is gonna be funny! :D

NeX
11-25-2001, 10:26 PM
Unne you brought me here and I think highly of you, and if I'm back here is because you and the others are holding this place together.

I don't think EoFF is crap because of you, I think EoFF is not a complete waste of web space because of you and the others, otherwise I wouldn't even touch this place with a stick.

Halan
11-25-2001, 10:53 PM
I have a similar yet totally different story....I had just come from a message board that I had spent 10 months as a moderator. I loved that place, back when it had only about 25 forums and maybe 1500 members. It grew and grew over the next few months until it had over 50 forums, 5000+ members and plenty of trash-talking ignorant retards, including some moderators, who made me cry everytime i tried to moderate my particular forum. EoFF was a relief to me. I joined in late January, right before a server change. I remember seeing Drex with a huuuge post count, over 4000. Everyone was a family, there were posts in the Gen. Chat about people hooking up, with plenty of oohs and ahhs to accompany it. The first and only good EoFF prom occured, and this place actually had some magic to give me.

EoFF has seemed to decline since i first join, and i only pop on every now and then to check up on topics that seem worth the effort. The other message board that I originally went to (vgf.net) is finally returning to its old state, even though it is nearing 10,000 members and is on the verge of collapse from monetary problems. I guess the point that i'm trying to make is that message boards are like life, some people come and go and never change a thing, and some leave footprints in our hearts and we are forever changed. There are high points and low points to everything, its a cycle that never ends (I sound like a Halmark card and a Girl Scouts song now) But eventually everything will work itself out again, and those rough times will make it all that much better.

Loony BoB
11-25-2001, 11:06 PM
I think post counts would help this place become what it used to be >=D (well, at least, when it was the UBB and Drex/Linus arrived).

Hey, I just think this place has got too many rules. It's become some kind of conference place, purely for discussion. How many forums do you see that are purely for discussion? And then, there's the spam. People say that they've come back to see a lot of spam. Sure, there's some. But in the old days, it was more acceptable coz everyone knew the people doing it. Like "I just got 2000 posts! Woo!" and everyone said "Yay!" and after 30 replies, it was closed. That was fine. :D

Also, the chatroom. It's... lacking all the older people. Del, Chicky, Scottie, Kishi, BOU... they all go there. Bleys? Nope. Sean? Nope. Half the mods? Nope. I rarely see Britt or Asorie, if ever. Unne never has, so yeah. Messengers are fine, but for this place to be one big magic family, you've got to get to know the NEW people too. That's life on the net.

I'm done.

*goes off to earn his nominations for Best Spammer*

NeX
11-25-2001, 11:18 PM
I think post counts only promote spam, people lose the status of newbie with time, not post count.

As for everything else, yeah, I guess I agree with pretty much everybody here...except a certain "Alphabet dude"

Spatvark
11-25-2001, 11:37 PM
Having read most of what's been written, I've come up with a theory... Basically, the younger a forum, in conjunction with the fewer people, the more fun it is... but if it becomes too popular, and as it grows old, it becomes less fun and more rule-dominated...

Back in the (purportedly) good-old-days, EoFF membership was small, whilst the people here didn't really give a crap what they said coz' they didn't really have anyone to feel responsible for... but as it has grown, more and more young people have joined, and the older members have either had to change with the times and be more responsible, or have got bored and left...

Having thought about this, I'm not sure it's possible to resurrect the EoFF of old... the only way to do so is to either start a whole new site, or create a forum that only allows people of a certain age in... either way, it just ain't EoFF...

I feel kinda sad for I shall never know the EoFF of old...

EoFF is dead, long live EoFF

Agent Proto
11-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Let's see, when I first joined EoFF, it was an "Spam-All-You-Want" Kinda Place where anything goes and there is practically no chance of threads getting closed or deleted other than if it is anything against the forums, because there wasn't as many members as there is now, and it was basically a place where people join by word of mouth. Now, I see it that people get here daily by the hundreds, and it's becoming more of a stricter place, but not really too strict, we had our original leader gone due to personal reasons, and all the madness from the original EoFF has disappeared, but only a few had survived. EoFF is changing, and we adapted to the changes, and it might not for the best of the interests of the few, but for the many to come, EoFF will be seen as a good place.... Either that or I'm just rambling. :p

Chickencha
11-26-2001, 12:05 AM
Bleys, you already know my thoughts on the issue, but let me just say that I'm with you all the way on this. If you're banned, then I'm going down with you.

Just...please...don't post pictures of your crotch again. *convulses*

krissy
11-26-2001, 12:06 AM
The reason being able to spam more and loosening will not work, as some of you want, is because there's too many members. And only some of you have lives. As far as I know, Sean still has top pay for this space.

EDIT: Hi, I mean spam forums. Besides, we'd look like all those other forums who have them, and would be classified as copycats. Now....since this debate is going nowhere with me in it.

Daryl
11-26-2001, 12:11 AM
It is different now, but still good.

I went through this with the other online group I was affiated with for a few years. Our "magical time" was the summer of '97. Try as we (the "pillars of the community" so to speak) did, we couldn't get it back.

Maybe we can't have the EoFF of old, but we can certainly enjoy the "magic" we do have.

Sure, especially for older members, you see people around on the boards whose names just come to mind when you think of EoFF... I don't think the newer members are any less a part of the forums.

Community is what we are. People come and go, loved and hated as they may be. A community constantly evolves. I, for one, enjoy what we have.

I must say, however, I'm very glad you've decided to remain with us, Bleys. You seem like a great person, one whom I'd like to call my friend.

Big Ogre Umaro
11-26-2001, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Spatvark
Having read most of what's been written, I've come up with a theory... Basically, the younger a forum, in conjunction with the fewer people, the more fun it is... but if it becomes too popular, and as it grows old, it becomes less fun and more rule-dominated...

That's not a theory. It's a basic rule of message boards, or any type of community. :D Ehhh, something like that. That's what we were saying happened to FFWA two years ago. Heh. (There are actually two different ways it can go, but I won't go into that right now)

Oh, and someone wanted to see the <a href="http://pub4.ezboard.com/bthehighwind">EoFF EZBoard</a>, I think. (I still remember the URL. Go me.), I think. So there it is. ;)

Yes, BoBo is right that there need to be more old-type people in the chat. But...it's just so <i>boring!</i> I can't bring myself to be in there for long. :D

Raistlin
11-26-2001, 12:59 AM
LOL. I agree with BOU about the chat room. I've been there only a handful of times, and I've been here since the beginning.

Britt: Hehe. You may not have wanted to go on a killing-spree of all the spammers, but you DID want to go on a mass thread-closing spree.:p
"My solution to all the spam threads: SHOW NO MERCY! Close them ALL! Bwahahahaha!" Or something like that.;)

BOU: FFWA two years ago? It was pretty big. I came to FFWA just over two years ago now. *fond memories* Just after I came, Rob left for 3 weeks to come to the States and the whole board went to hell: the other admin lost his power as did half the mods. Spammers held control of the General Chat and some of the FF forums. Hehe. A Bleys paradise.

Garland
11-26-2001, 01:03 AM
I've been here for a while, and although some things might be a little different, I don't think it's bad. Is it just that EoFF is popular now, and not a private club for a few? Anyways, trying to restore the "good old days" never works for anything. It's a goal, if you want to try, and it's probably a noble goal, I wasn't here in the beginning. Still I think it's in vain. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I liked Eoff when I joined, and I still do now, so I have nothing to lose. Vive la resistance?

Linus
11-26-2001, 02:14 AM
I've been meaning to say this my entire 14 months here, Bleys...

BLEYS IS PANTS!

There, I did it. Har har.

Raistlin
11-26-2001, 02:39 AM
I've called quite a few people here pants(a slang I picked up from all the bloody Brits at FFWA): Bleys, BOU, Britt(I actually called him skirts, since he wears skirts instead of pants), etc. BOU deserved it the most.

edczxcvbnm
11-26-2001, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by NeX
As for everything else, yeah, I guess I agree with pretty much everybody here...except a certain "Alphabet dude"

Since when has anyone actually agreed with me?

eestlinc
11-26-2001, 03:16 AM
Bleys, I know I love reading your posts. If you left EoFF I would be crushed. We do need to be able to be somewhat slightly more spammy in that you should be able to post humor without sticking directly to the topic. This isn't a self-help book. We should be having fun and laughing.

It's funny, I was just starting to really enjoy EoFF again and then this. Heh. Let's make it great again! Gambei!

Sephex
11-26-2001, 05:04 AM
Well, I havve been here for a long time now, but not as long as you people where talking about....however...thanks to my real life friend edczxcvbnm, I did see what you guys are talking about..I saw these posts at edczxcvbnm's house...he sent me emails of stuff he posted..and eventualy I decided to join.

I kind of know of the magic you have been talking about...I mean, I am also a member of the official Marilyn Manson BBS(also a forum...duh). Around the time I joined here is when I kind of stoped posting there. Now I fi nd myself posting there more often again and I figured out why just today. I was posting there when there was anticipation for the bands last album "Holy Wood"...and now I find myself posting there again more often becasue there is once again anticipation for another album..I find that place a lot more fun becasue of the magic there when that happens....

The reason I told you that pointless story is that I am encouraging you to go on the track that you seem to be going on...I never thought I would post in that place again...but all it took was that attitude that I like...go for it for here..bring it back!!

Loony BoB
11-26-2001, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Big Ogre Umaro

Yes, BoBo is right that there need to be more old-type people in the chat. But...it's just so <i>boring!</i> I can't bring myself to be in there for long. :D

See, imagine five oldbies. Say... Asorie, Rydia, Sean, edcwhtvr and Skanker. All back, fooling around in chat. Would that be boring? If you outnumber the newer people that you don't know, then you can have fun (and actually get to know the newbies *sarcastic shock*). But to do that, you gotta have them THERE. So... you wanna know why it's boring? It's coz they're never there. Sucks. :cry:

edczxcvbnm
11-26-2001, 06:38 AM
Do you really want me back in the chat that badly BoB? If you want me there then I will try to go there once in a while and give it another go.

I remember the chat when I could go in there at 2 am my time and be the only one there. Seriously. No Op. Just me and myself. Then eventually someone else went in there. Then left right away. It was funny!

David
11-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Yes, the chat needs some of the more humorous vets like Robert Downey, Jr. needs a fix. The first time I was in the IRC chat was August 2000. It was much more enjoyable back then as it was still relatively new and more people were interested in it and it was about 3 or 4 times more active than it is now. After disappearing from the board for...*counts*...11 months, I went into the IRC chat again expecting to see 50 or so people in there since the site had grown so much since the last time I was there. Instead I found about 15 people(4 of which I recognized) and none of them were talking. Now I see less familiar names and more newbies/chat bums/silent types who actually talk about FF games and related topics...it's just not right. And the sad thing is that it's not getting more active as it goes along...at least, not at the rate it should.

As for the board, in the month and a half that I was an active poster over a year ago, I had about 250-300 posts. Maybe 10 or 20 of them were in gaming forums. the rest were in gen chat in numerous off-the-wall and random threads. Threads like 1000 things to be happy about where Del Snizz and Acmlm mercilessly spammed made you feel like you'd stepped into a very accepting environment and you weren't worried about what you said. During that entire time I can only think of 2 threads that I saw that were closed and one of those got reopenned. I have less than 50 posts since I started posting again 3 or 4 months ago and alot of that does have to do with lack of silly/fun/pointless threads to have fun with.

It's going to be a rather large pain in the ass to pull the board out of the groove it's in now. Save setting up something with the mods and admins to not close anything unless it's blatant advertising or flaming for awhile, letting them get used to the normal spammy stuff again, I can't see anyway to bring back the old atmosphere.

Now that I've put my 2 cents in, I'll just go back to minding my own business.*g*

Citizen Bleys
11-26-2001, 02:56 PM
We'll see about "impossible".

Mikztsu
11-26-2001, 04:47 PM
People say that individuals doesn't matter that much, but I say if we can make Del Snizz to post more, even 1 post a day, this place will be much greater.:D

I've tried to make him post every now and then because I love his posts, and <b>especially</b> his threads. Anyone who has been in here 5 months or so surely can remember that Weed Whacker thread for example, which was ace.

Everyone- When you see Del Snizz in chatroom, give him no peace at all before he has made his post of the day. And Snizz will have to make <b>at least 1 thread</b> every fecking week.

I personally will <b>ding</b> you and make you cry unless you carry out this, Snizz.>=)

eestlinc
11-26-2001, 05:48 PM
Mik, I have been known to cajole Del Snizz about posting more. T'is a darm shame he doesn't.

Funkmonkey Deluxe
11-26-2001, 06:54 PM
<font face="courier"><font color="red">I've been here about 8 months (See the custom rank?), and it's a great forum. If the good Citizen manages to restore the forum to its former glory, I imagine it'll be a blast!

Wow. 8 months I've been here.:eek: Time really... sloths by when you're at EoFF.

Raistlin
11-26-2001, 07:05 PM
Ok, ok, ok. I'll check out the chatroom more, and I'll bug some other old vets to do so(although I hate being alone with all fricken newbies or few month old members that <i>think</i> themselves veteran...but maybe that's just me.:P).

I'll see if I can drag Britt, BOU, and Bleys(c'mon Bleys, a place that'll appreciate you for the spammer you are!) to go to chat.
Hell, maybe even Carpie. *remembers the first time he got Carpie to go in an AIM chat* Then again, maybe not.:D

Morticia
11-26-2001, 10:58 PM
Well, Bleys, you already know how I feel on this issue, but I figured it couldn't hurt to come back here and let you know that I hope you do exactly what you are trying to do. The mods and admins here take themselves <i>way</i> too seriously. Even Rydia has become one of the most dry, dull, overserious people I know. Britt, Unne, and Asorie are great, but I have often wondered if they ever laughed in their entire lives.

Life is supposed to have its moments of fun and insanity. If you can't laugh, if you can't relax for a few seconds and see humor in something, and if you can't have fun; you are just an automaton that <i>thinks</i> it's human. You're a machine that doesn't know how to live.

That's how I feel about 80% of the staff here, and why I jumped right back over to FFL when it came back up.

You've become robots. Think you could try to remember what it's like to be human? That's what this place needs most. Humanity.

Bleys, you have my full support. I hope you bring this place back to some semblance of what it was like. When people from FFL and other sites could come here and not be looking over their shoulders all the time. Serious discussion is fine and good; maturity is great; but ask your grandparents this: "Is humor essential to life?" You'll hear "YES."

Learn to laugh. Some of you are so serious and so intent on being seen as serious, knowledgeable, wise, all-knowing people that you scare anyone who wants to have a few seconds of harmless fun that would make others laugh. You're empty and oversophisticated and you need to climb down a few rungs, try to join the rest of humanity.

This may get this thread closed; I hope it doesn't. I'm not trying to flame you guys, but I am criticizing you. You need to hear these things from someone you can't dismiss too easily.

Try being human again; it would do you, this board, and the rest of us a <i>lot</i> of good.

Phoenix

Kalen
11-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Note: I love and respect every mod/admin here. I just think we all need to relax and have fun.

The last couple months I've been pondering leaving but the people I love in this forum have made it really hard to think about that. I miss the old EoFF. I only joined back in january or something like that, and I'm sure EoFF was even better before that, but it has gone down from then, or maybe It's just getting old for me. I'm not sure, but I'm with ya Bleys. You're fighting for what I want too., and if you're banned, I'm leaving.

Rawk on, man. I'm behind you 100%.

Shoeberto
11-26-2001, 11:55 PM
<font color="#009999">
Sweet.

I was thinking that by the time the anniversary came around, we would still be pretty dull, but this is bringing my hopes back up.

Sita Atis
11-27-2001, 02:55 AM
Bleys! Do some more of your comedy routines or movies where you sing and tell jokes! I love those!

Citizen Bleys
11-27-2001, 03:44 AM
It's going to be easier than I thought. I've been getting a LOT of support from PMs since I posted this, and it's made a big difference in me. Last week, I was on the verge of weeping when I thought back to EoFF and the magic that used to be there at the ezBoard. I needed that magic more than anything else in the world. There was a big gaping void...When I first came to the ezBoard, I resembled the main character of the Belisarius Cycle more than the boy I am now. EoFF changed that. The wonderful synergy, the magic...it turned me into a better person. I've been calling that my Healing. It cured all the damage that had been done to my mind. That was what made me believe in magic--having it practiced on me in the most monumental, powerful way possible. EoFF taught me what love really is.

These past few days, I've seen that again. A spell has been wrought that is just as powerful as the one that I benifited from back then. A week ago, I cried out to whatever God might exist that I needed that magic.

There must be a God of some sort out there, because you, the people of Eyes On Final Fantasy, have answered that prayer. What has happened these past two days is as powerful and moving as what happened the first time. You've accomplished the Second Healing of Citizen Bleys. Thank-you all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

So the magic is still here. All I have to do is find a way to invoke it. And by god, invoke it I shall.

BTW, Sita: On the way. I just need a few props, and possibly a camera operator.

Raistlin
11-27-2001, 04:00 AM
Hehe, Bleys, remember The Revolt? Think we might start up one again(although I starter up the last one by myself to liven up Jojoy's board)?
Although, on second thought, Jessie <i>did</i> get quite pissed and threatened to ban me on numerous occasions. So, maybe it's not quite such a good idea. ;)

We will get the magic back, Bleys. One way or another.

Citizen Bleys
11-27-2001, 04:32 AM
I think a repeat of the Revolt here at EoFF would hinder my efforts, not aid them.

OK, rather than call this my "war", in quotes, and making it just my thing, I've decided to give it a real name: the Lazarus Project. And since, as I said in my last post, the magic is still here and just needs to be invoked...I see no reason why this thread needs to remain sticky.

*unsticks*

Guru Clef
11-27-2001, 12:07 PM
*arrives a bit late*

Less rules, more fun!!

Wheeeeee!

repo man
11-27-2001, 07:38 PM
Yea, all we need for a war is the wrench throwing battalion. I could be the Brigadier General of Wrenchness.

*throws a wrench in the system*

Shlup
11-27-2001, 08:36 PM
I have to say this business sounds like fun, although as a voice of reason I must say that some people are taking this website a little too seriously. Yeah, it was fun back in the day (although I must say I never joined the UBB because after lurking a bit it looked a little droll still) and its not as fun now. Its still something to do I guess... I dunno, I guess I don't see it the same because I've been on the outside of it most of the time. I've known Sean for years, but I don't even know when the last time I talked to him once. (Acctually, I do, it was sometime in late September/Early November at an Order52 show where he took his place as Crate Boy). Sean was the only friend I had here and I haven't really made any other ones.
I have nothing inspiring to say, so have at your EoFF revival attempts. I have never had, nor will I ever have anything to contribute here. Its all the same to me.

Melted Snowman
11-28-2001, 04:28 AM
Die, Bleys. ;)

Secondly, there certainly IS the issue that I have a bad habit of running away from my problems. I think that running away is the right move here, no matter how much it hurts, but am I just setting myself up for a fall?

You sound like Shinji! HAHAHA

(Hah! Eva reference! Take that! :mad2:<i></i>)

But really, if you think I can help with anything, even if it's posting a stupid thread, just let me know and I'll do what I can. ;)

Raistlin
11-28-2001, 04:43 AM
Doug, as you Bleys, has always been good at stupid threads. Meh.

The Revolt would hinder your efforts? Didn't the Revolt lighten up the NUTs board? Well, ok, it did kind of destroy the General Chat forum...and the newbie forum...and the spam forum(the WTW? had a hell of a time fighting me), if a spam forum can be destroyed, as well as most of the FF forums. But it was for a good cause...well, no actually. The cause was to have me rule the board(which I nearly did, btw), and it also got me nearly banned a couple of times...

I see what you meant Bleys. A Revolt would completely crush the defenseless EoFF, so it's best put off...for now. *evil grin*

And, I think I should specify, that Bleys and Co. do not want to make EoFF have "less rules". These rules are prob'ly(I never did read them) identical to the ones we made during the EzBoard. However, the only difference is that they may be enforced differently, and that the members are newer. It's kind of hard to bring back the magic of knowing everyone when there's over 1000 people that ya don't know. *shrugs*

Citizen Bleys
11-28-2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Melted Snowman
You sound like Shinji! HAHAHA

Sod you, I do not sound like Shinji. Shinji's all "nigetsu dame da, nigetsu dame da, nigetsu dame da..." *horrible scream*, and I'm just the opposite.

Except for the horrible scream bit.

chionos
11-28-2001, 06:27 PM
EDIT: skip all the rest unless you're terrifically bored(or want some of my home-made cookies) in summary, eoff rocks. always has, always will. i'm not worried about it's state of affairs. cause i know the greatest, funniest group of people that i know are here, and nothing can change that.

Magic, it's all about the magic. eyesonff is the best fora around-that's a given. eyesonff will always be the best. But it can be the best, and still not be THE BEST, you know what i mean. november of 2000, i showed up totally at random, just rummaging through final fantasy sites. i've never been much of a computer/internet person(considering i've never had a bloody computer...well one, but only for a short while because it went fliget, but anyway) and i didn't even really know about the fora that existed, splattered across the web's landscape. i didn't know that there were sites in which final fantasy fans got together to share their mutual interests with one another, and to get to know one another. wow! what a great idea. i've never met ANYONE in real life who had interests like mine, but here are hundreds of people JUST LIKE ME! wow. i entered these fora completely dazed at what i had found. not only are they final fantasy fans, but they like other things that i do too! and they're funny, and witty, and interesting! what luck! i'm a complete and utter loser, with no rl friends, and a complete lack of social grace, but here are kids just like me to be friends with, who won't judge me, but accept me for who i am. i can let go of all the oppressions and suppresions that have held me back in life and be completely free. free to say what i want, when i want. free to be goofy, to let the goofiness that exists in me out, and to share it with other people, who will share their goofiness with me. shared passions, shared loves, shared zaniness, wackiness, shared craziness, shared looniness. a wild free-for-all governed by mutual consent. spam was as frequent as every other post, and yet, and yet...it went unchecked. and why? because we were anarchal deviants? no, because it didn't bother anyone! spam ran rampant because that's what everyone wanted to see. when you came to eoff, you EXPECTED spam. you knew it would be there, and you cherished your part in it. post counts....ahhhh....how fulfilling, eh? weren't they so bloody fulfilling. you spend a long day typing your fingers off....and are awarded by the glaring post count under your name, declaring you king of posting. what a thrill. and the competition! it wasn't spoken as such, but you could feel it, the tension of the post count. what's so wrong with competition? even if it DID promote spam. what's so bloody wrong with spam, anyway? it is, ummm, fun, and ummm, liberating, and ummmm it allows inclusion of oldby and newbie alike. not everyone can be serious, but everyone, if they'd allow themselves, can be funny, can be zany. i think it's very silly to say that "things change" and to leave it at that. why does it have to change? only b/c we let it change. nothing has to change that we don't want to change. most of us, however, unlike bleys, are too lazy to do anything about it. it's easy enough to continue this rote repetition of bland ideas.

i mean, i love eoff, as it is now. i love the deep philosophical discussions and religeous debates. there's a place in eoff for that. but it just doesn't seem right to have a discussion about the afterlife sitting beside a funny thread about kishi's collection of life-sized barby dolls in school-girl uniforms or something. i think the fora have become too, ummm, littered. i mean, i know we have all these seperate fora for different things, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. you go to eoeo to look for a fun thread and have to wade through discussions about the trinity to find something fun. conversely, it wouldn't be right to go to eoeo looking for a serious discussion and have to check on every goofy thread to find the one serious one. i just think seriousness, and goofiness(while both are needed) need to be separated. we can't exlude either one. but we can't have both directly together, and keep up the old fire, while at the same time, continuing to adapt to the changing climate of eoff. am i being clear enough? probably not. this is probably all coming off as just rambling.

anyway, another problem that i feel exists is that there's no real opportunity to REALLY get to know anyone anymore. yeah, sure, chat and messangers, but that's too exclusive. eoff seemed to bring people together so easily before, with no effort. but now, it seems like a tremendous intangible wall is required to box us all together, otherwise we'd all just drift away. and regardless of what some may think, eoff is not just a "city" a township of people who congregate together randomly. we are a freaking family. disfunctional maybe, but we're still a family. we're brought here by a common gene, our love of final fantasy, which binds us together initially. i guess we could be just a conglomeration of peoples, randomly flitting in and out of each others' realities, but i want more than that. i WANT to be a family again. screw you party-poopers who aren't sentimental, and you pessimists who think it's "unhealthy" to become too attatched to an online fora. that's b.s. how's it unhealthy if it makes you happy. that's what the world today is all about, eh, your individual happiness. if i'm happy and you're happy and she's happy and he's happy, then who cares about rules and regulations. if someone is being overly offensive, then, yes, of course we still need discipline, people to stop offensive people from bothering everyone, but let the people be the judge of what bothers them. is this a democracy or what? if EVERYBODY wants to have a little fun again, then why can't we have fun? i don't see what's holding us back from having fun. why hold within what you came here to express in the first place. if we get kicked, banned, deleted or whatever then so what, it's not worth it anyway. and eventually somebody'd get a clue and realize that if there's noone left to rule then there's no point in ruling.

now, don't get me wrong, i love unne and britt and all the seriousness and rigidity that they bring to eoff. i think eoff needs that, and them. but that shouldn't stifle the fun of bleys & co. why can't we have both...fun & seriousness. there's room for both in this world.

i understand that there are problems with the number of members we have now, and the rate at which they join. but maybe that can be fixed. it really needs to be fixed either way. what happened to the idea of some sort of screening process to eliminate all of the one post type of people, why not create a "floating membership," a trial membership that people can use to join eoff without actually joining eoff. that way you could eliminate the casuals and draw out the people who really want to be a part of this, and have something to offer. maybe floaters wouldn't be able to do as much as full-fledged members, maybe the first level of membership, they'd only be able to read posts, then if they really want to post, they could become second level members, and so on and so forth. yeah, the idea sucks, but you peeps should be able to come up with SOMETHING.

Ah freak-nasty. what i'm trying to say is that i want both. i want what bleys wants. and yet i want what britt and unne were trying to bring to eoff. there has to be SOME way to compromise. and i'm too tired to think up a middle ground. but there has to be one. the magic of the old AND the magic of the new. it has to be there somewhere. hopefully you can find it bleys. hopefully. either way, i'm a lifer.

*cookies*
*oh, and milk too*

Raistlin
11-28-2001, 08:20 PM
*takes a cookie*

choinos: for the first, main paragraph:

I think the admins had to ban some people for being too spammy due to post counts(that's even happened at FFWA). I don't really care if the newbs get titles or not for post counts, but only if they do not go overboard. I think, originally, that a lot of spammers did go a bit overboard, which was why it was taken away. Who would you rather have on the boards: a lot of people that post on the boards only to communicate with each other, or only a few of those and a lot of spammers in between? I'd rather have the first, which was the decision the admins made.
I would not mind the re-installment of the titles, although I would wholeheartedly agree to take them away again if the spammers started messing up the experience for the rest of us.

About your "littered" paragraph:

That is fully the fault of the members, and their own perspectives. Some people post serious discusions in GC, and some post fun threads in EoEO. It's the same way for everyboard, though way back-when it was only small-scale for us.

Also, about your membership paragraph: Do 1-post members <i>really</i> hurt the boards? Who really cares? Unless an overboard in registered members actually has the potential to damage the board, I don't see why we have to do anything about it. I am adamantly <i>against</i> screening members, and I think a trial membership would be too much of a bother.

chionos
11-29-2001, 05:45 PM
basically my biggest problem, with all the members, and the confused splattering of threads, is that it confuses the HELL outta me. especially since i only come around every few weeks at best. i'm gone for two weeks, and come back, and there's 50 new people who've shown up and made a name for themselves. i'm kind of an absent minded person so it just screws with my trying to remember who i know and who i don't. really, like i said, i love eoff. i always have and always will. even if there's only one person left(which will never happen) i'll still be here too. nothing going on right now really bothers me, except the fact that i don't get to come around very often, which is really my own fault. there IS magic that existed once that i don't think exists any more, at least for myself, but i realise that it's mainly a case of nostalgia.

and plus, as i've stated before, i like to play the devil's advocate. bleys is fighting a war as the underdog, so i just argue from his side just for the hell of it. it'd be hella easy to just say, "Asorie's right, shut the hell up Bleys," and be done with it. if my post lacked rationality it's probably because there wasn't too much of my heart actually in it to give it poignance.

BUT, i DO think that there are some things around here that can be fixed. i'm not talking about a major over-haul or anything, just little things here and there. and i know that those things will probably get taken care of, b/c eoff has a kick-azz staff that i love and respect and trust. so just ignore me. oh and raistlin, you're some kind of GOD for reading that whole post. i thought i could keep all my cookies to myself. go figure. should have know you'd be the one to read it all, and actually debate it.

Dee
12-01-2001, 03:13 AM
I think EoFF is going through a good change.

It's not about the amount of members we have, or the amount of newbies. It's about THE PEOPLE. Us, we, ourselves, we're all one big family. We're no haters. Let's accept everyone, let's accept the changes.