blackmage_nuke
05-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Ive recently heard the following statements in tv ads or just other people-

"Rice is the perfect side dish"
"Rice is an excellent addition to any meal"
"Rice is great when you want a little extra to improve your meal"

:nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

That is NOT how rice works!!!!!

I have alarm sirens go off in my head whenever i hear statements similar to the ones above.

Rice is not a side dish or an extra to a meal, Rice IS the meal, any meat or vegetables you have inclued are your extras or side dishes!! Any other treatment to rice is disgraceful.

Yay or nay?

extra topic - what food related actions/opinions of other people offend you?

Shauna
05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't like rice much.

smittenkitten
05-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I have rice when I don't want a big meal. :)

duckie
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
I usually have rice as a side-dish. I don't generally eat it by itself.

My friend calls Pringles "Pringos". And she's not even trying to be funny. It kind of irritates me.

JKTrix
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't like rice much.

Same here. Though I still end up eating it all the time somehow.

Breine
05-28-2008, 04:13 PM
I really like rice, but I do mostly eat it as a side dish.

Roto13
05-28-2008, 05:04 PM
"What did you have for dinner last night?"

Answer 1

"Oh, some chicken and rice."
"Sounds good."

Answer 2

"Oh, some chicken."
"Sounds good."

Answer 3
"Oh, some rice."
"Really? That's it?"

Rice is a side dish. :P Just because there happens to be more of it some times, that doesn't make it the main part of the meal.

Araciel
05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Rice never had a heartbeat. Therefore I must conclude that it will only ever be, at best, a side dish.

rubah
05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
when I eat my seasame chicken, there is more rice than chicken in most the bites. Ergo, rice is a side and not the meal.

Randgris
05-28-2008, 05:15 PM
*offended by people calling rice a side dish.

Rice (here) is extremely important. Do you know how much a kg of rice costs? Its a staple food and goes with anything edible you can think of.

Extra topic: I get offended by people who do not appreciate the beauty of BBQ frogs and pig's blood..

41-Inches-Wide
05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
There can be no meal without rice, imo.

fire_of_avalon
05-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Rice is versatile! It can be an integral part of a maindish OR it can complement as a side dish!

Jess
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Rice is a side dish for me. Rice with chili, or rice with curry, or rice with chinese food. Nomnomnom :jess:

smittenkitten
05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Rice is a side dish for me. Rice with chili, or rice with curry, or rice with chinese food. Nomnomnom :jess:

You and your bloody chineses, I want some! :mad2: Me and Daniel when we are lazy throw some rice bags in the pot and a chicken curry in the microwave. Yum! ^__^

Jess
05-28-2008, 05:53 PM

You and your bloody chineses, I want some! :mad2: Me and Daniel when we are lazy throw some rice bags in the pot and a chicken curry in the microwave. Yum! ^__^
The nicest chinese I've ever had is in Newcastle Chinatown called The Landmark. I have to take you there one time! It is amazingggg. :jess:

Peegee
05-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Hi I'm Chinese. /facepalm

Rice is a side dish. The main course will always be a slab of animal meat.

Miriel
05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
Rice pilaf, spanish rice, etc, are side dishes.

Fried rice in itself can be a complete meal.

Sticky rice is always gonna be a main component of a meal, but without side dishes, sticky rice is useless. But without sticky rice and only side dishes, the meal isn't complete either. Imagine curry without rice. That's just weird. But then imagine plain rice without curry. That's weird too.

I eat a ton of rice. I'd say about 1/3 of the meals I eat, I eat with rice. And about 70% of the time, the meal would not make sense without rice to go along with it.

I think it's more appropriate to think of rice as a base for a meal rather than a side or main dish.