PDA

View Full Version : ..say what?

Breine
05-29-2008, 09:33 AM
What language would you most like to be able to speak?

For me it's always been French. I know some few words and phrases, but that's about it. Back in High School I opted for Spanish instead of French, though, since it seems more international.. so I have yet to learn "ze lenguage ef lurve".

Miriel
05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Spanish. It's the most useful.

Then, I would like to be completely fluent in Korean. I'm only semi-fluent and that makes me sad sometimes.

Blue Harvest
05-29-2008, 10:47 AM
I'd love to speak japanese.

Rantz
05-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Right now I'd say Spanish. Japanese isn't out of the question either, it sounds nice and it would be useful for video games and such.

Balzac
05-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Russian.

smittenkitten
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Bonjour, cava? Cava bein merci. ^__^ I know very little French, German Spanish and Swedish. :) I probably know French more than any of them.

rubah
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM
je pense que c'est evidant.

Old Manus
05-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Welsh, so I can have a first hand experience of how totally useless it is.

41-Inches-Wide
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I want to speak British. I think I would sound awesome.

Momiji
05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been teaching myself Japanese. I wish I could find a teacher. xD

Flying Mullet
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I wish I knew Spanish as I live in Southern Texas. I've considered taking some courses on it but with grad school coming up this fall I don't think I'll have the time.

strawberryman
05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd love to speak japanese.

Shoeberto
05-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Japanese is really a fun language to learn. I'd like to continue studying it, if it wouldn't put me behind in my degree program and really be useless outside of my personal curiosity.

French and Spanish would be nice, too.

Ouch!
05-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Since I'm planning on expanding my field of study to linguistics, I'm considering taking many languages as elective credits in college. There are many languages I'm interested in learning.

As I go to school in Miami, Spanish would likely be the most immediately useful language. For purely academic purposes, I'd like to learn both Latin and Greek. Other languages that interest me are Latin, Greek, French, Japanese, and Mandarin.

Yes, I want to learn them all. Japanese and Mandarin are at the bottom of my list, though.

Gogo
05-30-2008, 03:27 AM
If only I could speak la langue française !

Spanish would be useful, but I haven't needed it yet.

Dynast-Kid
05-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Hmm, Spanish would definitely be the most practical...so, Spanish.

But, I would love to learn Arabic, or Hindi. I think Indo-Arabian languages are really pretty (Must be all the J-sounds). Plus I find alot of the throat sounds strangely sexy.

French is a pretty language too...Oh, and that one they speak in Beowulf! I remember Angelina Jolie's character speaking it, and just thinking how hot it was!

Freya
05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
I want to become fluent in German since I've had 3 and half years of education in it now. Italian, Norwegian so levy can laugh at me, and then an Asian language most likely Japanese.

Breine
05-30-2008, 09:04 AM
French is a pretty language too...Oh, and that one they speak in Beowulf! I remember Angelina Jolie's character speaking it, and just thinking how hot it was!

That's Danish/Old Norse.

duckie
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
I wish I could speak French. Only, I wouldn't ever need it unless I move to France.

Balzac
05-30-2008, 02:29 PM

My ex is Welsh, she told me that Welsh is so useless, even they don't use it.

Polaris
05-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Japanese for now! ^^ But one language I'd love to learn is Latin... still is harder than German ;__; and my German literature teacher yesterday told us Swedish and Hungarian is a lot worse because they have more declinations ;_; knowing how to speak 4 languages is good enough for me ^^

Gogo
05-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Japanese for now! ^^ But one language I'd love to learn is Latin... still is harder than German ;__; and my German literature teacher yesterday told us Swedish and Hungarian is a lot worse because they have more declinations ;_; knowing how to speak 4 languages is good enough for me ^^

I've heard Japanese is easy to learn spoken, but difficult written.

I've heard Latin is difficult because of its case system. German uses this too, like der > den > dem > des etc.

Jess
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I can speak very little French and German. I'd like to be able to speak Spanish, but I'm absolutely useless at learning languages. I studied French for 3 years and still know a very little amount. :jess:

escobert
05-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I WANT TO LEARN MY NATIVE TONGUE!

Breine
05-30-2008, 05:51 PM

I've heard Latin is difficult because of its case system. German uses this too, like der > den > dem > des etc.

Yes, Latin is very complicated. I wish I had it for more than one year so that I could get more into it, because it's actually really interesting.

Polaris
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Yes, Latin is very complicated. I wish I had it for more than one year so that I could get more into it, because it's actually really interesting.

yes and me being portuguese most time the words are not very bad to understand becasue some portuguese words are a develop latin! ^^ Still japanese is hard for me to learn because I can't afford to pay particular classes in faculty :( Still german is hard, latin as well, portuguese might not have declinations but it has ponctuation and complicated verbs XD It takes a looooong time to actually be able to speak in a certain language :) and me being in the future a language teacher I can still remember how terrible I was in English when I was 12 XD

Krelian
05-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't find German to be that hard :p

(just kidding, I can imagine how hard it must be to learn German.)

I would like to learn Japanese, mainly to be able to understand Japanese games, but also to be able to talk to Japanese people. I'd also like to learn Malay, but it's next to impossible to find a course or anything :( So instead I'm learning the closest language available, Indonesian.

Levian
05-31-2008, 03:44 PM
No one's mentioned Al Bhed yet?

Newfound respect, EoFF. Newfound.

mooglebunni608
05-31-2008, 04:13 PM
Fluent German would be wonderful. I'm working on it, but if I could magically ALREADY speak it, I could move on to learning Japanese already. <3

Zeldy
05-31-2008, 04:32 PM
I didn't have a choice over which language I was made to learn for 3 years in school, I was given French, and I liked it for the first two years, but I hated it in the third. I learnt a bit Spanish as we were a top set so we were allowed to be taught another language, it was like 4 lessons French, 1 lesson Spanish every week or so. I always remember 'grenouille!" and "un yaourt!'. They were fun to say :jess:

I know the Spanish alphabet, I can't remember the French one.

I learnt more Spanish when I actually went to Spain several times on holidays, I can say 'Can I have the bill, please?' and 'How much is that?' and things like that :p

I'd love to be fluent in Finnish, but it's meant to be one of the most difficult to learn as it's just so unique, so screw that.

General Tso
05-31-2008, 04:40 PM
My French is a bit rusty and could probably use a major tune up, I would like to learn Dzongkha, the native language of Bhutan.

cloud21zidane16
05-31-2008, 05:13 PM
Id like to learn Spanish because i think thatd be the most useful to me, Japanese would be interesting too.

Kes
05-31-2008, 07:03 PM
I'd love to get better at French and Spanish, but I've gotten to the point with both where I'm not dissatisfied with what I know.

On the list next would be Arabic and Russian though learning more than one year of high school German would also be awesome. Italian would also be cool, but somewhat useless.

Avarice-ness
05-31-2008, 07:35 PM
Arabic.

My dad lives in Dubai and is speaking it more and more. So why would I like to learn it? Because one day I was on the phone with him and he was in the car with one of his friends, and he talks to me then talks to his friend in a long line of Arabic.

I'm like yelling at the phone "THAT'S NOT ENGLISH!" because yeah, hearing my dad speak Arabic is freaky, especially when I don't know what he's saying.

Dr. Acula
06-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping to go to France next year (with my moderate knowledge of French I should get around fine), so after that I should be fluent or at least semi-fluent. A friend of mine speaks relatively fluent Spanish and I also speak a little bit of that (I'm WAAAY better at French), so I'd love to be fluent at that to.

I used "fluent" far too many times in that sentence. It's a funny word.

I'd also like to learn Italian. And Latin (a lot of use that'd be:rolleyes2), and just about every other language under the sun.

DMKA
06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
I have no racial/ethnic/cultural identity.

So Latin I guess.

Rye
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Probably Italian, first off, because it's my background. It's also very useful.

Japanese, because I'm a giant flaming weaboo.

And while it's not really a super useful language for me to learn, Estonian is really pretty and I like when Huxley teaches me. I only know a few phrases though.

Heath
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM

Hah. I live right on the border with one of the most Welsh-speaking counties in Wales (Gwynedd) and I appreciate how useless it is. Except for getting jobs in which case it's a huge boost, despite the fact you don't need it for most of the jobs that 'require' it.

I speak a fair bit of German and would love to be fluent in that. I wish I spoke a better degree of it than I already do. However yesterday some Germans came into the shop in which I work and I had a brief chat with them in German (asking them whereabouts they were from, etc), whilst neglecting to mention WWII because I am Basil Fawlty. If I had to pick a language I've no knowledge of, I think I'd pick something like Russian or Norwegian.

I don't find German to be that hard :p

(just kidding, I can imagine how hard it must be to learn German.)

I always found German to be a rather nice language to study. Pronunciation isn't too difficult to get around after a while, the grammatical structures are generally nice and consistent (though they take a while to get used to if you've never studied grammar at all) and it sounds nice. My German isn't great in no small part due to the circumstances in which I was taught it during my last two years of study (each week would be: two hours with the teacher, two hours with us on our own with work set for us).

Krelian
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I always thought it was a hard language to learn if your native language lacks grammatical gender, conjugation and declination. Also, I always thought there were so many exceptions to all the rules. But I'm glad you found it nice to learn. You should be able to improve your German by doing the same I do to improve my English: watching films, reading books and joining a German language forum :D It generally shouldn't be too hard to find someone you can practice with on the internet.

About the Germans visiting your shop. Did they tell you that they were Germans or could you tell by their accents?

Madame Adequate
06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
I'd basically like to know every language. If I got three wishes, that would be one of them. Top of the list though, are Chinese, Spanish, Nahuatl, and Old Norse.

Quindiana Jones
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Japanese right now, as I wish to TEFL some money in Japan. Being able to speak the language isn't necessary, but it'd make my life easier, and more likely to get the job.

What? TEFL is totally a verb.

Montoya
06-02-2008, 08:30 AM
I'd love to speak German and Latin. Although I'd better get on the ball and learn my Chinese for the future.

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2008, 02:45 AM
Japanese n.n

A good portion of the world knows English, so the only time when I have trouble with languages is when I want to play a game that hasn't been released outside of Japan (LIKE THE SERIAL EXPERIMENTS LAIN SEQUEL D:</>)

Sometimes there's a billboard in Spanish that I'm curious about, but I know enough to work out what it says :p

Peegee
06-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Off the top of my head, French and Cantonese. I can already do one, albeit not as well as I want. The other is just hilarious when I try it.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-03-2008, 02:56 AM
I want to improve my French as well as advance my Japanese studies.