PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia trailer (DS)

Zeromus_X
05-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Looks pretty awesome. (http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/dracula_ds3/)

And it sounds like the main character is voiced by Jennifer Hale, but I'm not sure.

XxSephirothxX
05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks really great. I'm glad to see that the art style hinted at by the early screenshots is indeed a departure from the last couple games. It's much better, and with some new gameplay mechanics and enemies as seen in that trailer, it's going to be one addictive game.

JKTrix
05-30-2008, 01:45 PM
Youtube link (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=C-AQB-k8hs4)
Sounds like her to me as well. I guess Konami likes her, she's played multiple roles in the MGS series too.

Flying Mullet
05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
That does look really good. It makes me want to play SoTN.

Necronopticous
05-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Very excited, of course.

Karellen
05-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Man, they're putting Balthier in everything now days!

New cutscene style is nice but the in-game footage makes it look like every other handheld Castlevania game.

KentaRawr!
05-30-2008, 03:53 PM
It looks like it might be re-using things from the earlier two games, like the Skeleton enemies. It seems like they're using the same technology to make this game, too. It's a shame they hold such confidence in the engine introduced with Dawn of Sorrow, but as long as they're trying to advance the series with original game design, I've no problem.

The areas seem to be incredibly varied in this game. It shows the main character finding herself at Dracula's Castle, but I doubt that's going to be the only place in the game she goes. She's shown to go to a town, a forest, as well as in what looks like a shipwreck. I'm betting that the first area will be the shipwreck, then it'll go to town, then it'll go the forest, and then Dracula's Castle. There was an area shown in the trailer that looked like the main character was trying to break in to someplace. The areas besides that all could very well be in Dracula's Castle itself. We saw variety like that in the other Castlevania games. Then there's another thing. Where that huge crab boss is (that gets Elevator Faced), the outside world looks purple. When the outside looks purple, it normally means you're in another world, like in Harmony of Dissonance. That orange cave area also reminds me of Harmony of Dissonance.

Dreddz
05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont see a big difference in the artstyle between this game and the previous DS games. It definately looks like it'll be the best Castlevania on the DS so far. I havent really been interested in the series since SoTN. I'd be much more interested in an old school style Castlevania game but im sure no one else would really care for those.

KentaRawr!
05-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I dont see a big difference in the artstyle between this game and the previous DS games. It definately looks like it'll be the best Castlevania on the DS so far. I havent really been interested in the series since SoTN. I'd be much more interested in an old school style Castlevania game but im sure no one else would really care for those.

It would be a bit tough to sell a Classic-Style Castlevania game unless it was to be an extra.

Momiji
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Awww, why did I have to look?

I want it now. D:

JKTrix
05-30-2008, 04:37 PM
I think the art style change is better reflected in the character art rather than the in-game sprites:
http://i25.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/10or9s6.jpghttp://i25.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2eul7vl.jpg

And it would be 'difficult' to sell a 'Classic Style' Castlevania until IGA leaves the company, or he gets convinced otherwise :P The PSP got Rondo of Blood, which is a classic game, but I think most people got that in order to play SotN off of it.

Vyk
05-30-2008, 08:44 PM
I just watched a trailer on GameTrailers.com for this involving an interview with Iga. Where he was all pissed off that his 3D games didn't go over so well so he wants to figure out a formula for getting it right. He's determined to succeed. So eventually there'll be another 3D Castlevania (just fyi lol)

Unfortunately I've sorta fallen out of the whole Castlevania thing. I got Portrait. Enjoyed it. But have no yearning for more. Maybe in a year or so

Dreddz
05-30-2008, 08:55 PM
It would be a bit tough to sell a Classic-Style Castlevania game unless it was to be an extra.

Yeah but as an extra it would only be a port of a previous Castlevania game. I'd like to see them make a brand new old school Castlevania game. I dont see no problem in having the series go in two seperate directions. Maybe they could continue the series on the PSP as well. I really enjoyed Dracula X Chronicles (and I still havent unlocked SoTN).

KentaRawr!
05-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, as an extra it probably would be an older Castlevania game. It would be nice if two versions of the same game came with each Castlevania, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Krelian
05-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Personally I prefer the Metrovania style games than the classic ones and I can't get enough of them. So it's no surprise that I'm very much looking forward to Order of Ecclesia. The artwork style is a big improvement, too.

@JKTrix
Where did you find that picture? Are there more? I didn't have any luck when I looked for artworks :(

Jowy
05-31-2008, 05:19 PM
clicky-clicky on the first link posted, it's right next to the gameplay trailer's tiny window.

Shoeberto
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Man, they're putting Balthier in everything now days!

New cutscene style is nice but the in-game footage makes it look like every other handheld Castlevania game.
As shallow as it seems, the anime artstyle really turned me off the other DS Castlevania games, even if they were basically only used for faces during conversations. It was just hard to take it seriously. This new stuff seems less like an attempt at making it into Saturday morning cartoon fare. I might actually be pretty interested in buying this one.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
06-01-2008, 01:12 AM
And it would be 'difficult' to sell a 'Classic Style' Castlevania until IGA leaves the company, or he gets convinced otherwise :P The PSP got Rondo of Blood, which is a classic game, but I think most people got that in order to play SotN off of it.Igarashi is probably the one man who would most want to make another game in the style of Castlevania III or Rondo of Blood. It just can't be done, because it wouldn't sell as well as the current style of game, which is just barely keeping the series financially afloat as it is.

Anyway, this game looks like a wildly mixed bag. A bit better-looking than Portrait, probably, but that's not saying much.
As shallow as it seems, the anime artstyle really turned me off the other DS Castlevania games, even if they were basically only used for faces during conversations.

It's not shallow at all. The kid-friendly anime influence of Dawn and Portrait went far beyond characters' faces and directly affected the tone of the dialogue and overall plot. See Dawn with its goofy romance subplot and Saturday morning "everybody laughs at once" ending, or Portrait with its ridiculous "NO PROBLEM n_n" and "I AM NOT A CHILD >=|" banter.

Vermachtnis
06-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I'm looking forward to this game even more now. It look pretty awesome and it's a nice change of pace to have female main character too.

Heath
06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Looks very good and I'll certainly buy it when it comes out. I didn't mind the anime style of the previous DS games too much. Didn't like them as much as the older styles, but I was never bothered by them terribly. Really looking forward to it. Though I never did finish Julius mode in DoS...

Krelian
06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
clicky-clicky on the first link posted, it's right next to the gameplay trailer's tiny window.
Oh, thanks. I should have clicked there instead of assuming it was a Youtube link to the trailer >_<

Del Murder
06-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Can't get enough of these games.

XxSephirothxX
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I thought Dawn of Sorrow was absolutely amazing and is probably one of the most fun games I've ever played. Unfortunately, I missed out on the GBA games and haven't gone back and emulated them, so the freshness of the gameplay system certainly helped. Of course, I've played SotN, but I hadn't exhausted myself with the metroidvanias yet. Portrait of Ruin didn't do much for me; it was pretty fun, but not nearly so much as its predecessor.

I have high hopes this one will be an improvement.

Montoya
06-02-2008, 09:02 AM
I love Castlevania games, so I'm probably going to get this game.
I loved the the art style from the GBA Castlevania's. Cirlcle of the Moon is my favorite by far. Can't wait for this.