PDA

View Full Version : Armor VS Weapons

Monkey4Soul
05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm certain there's a multitude of other places I could've put this thread, but I figgered this was the one what got the most traffic.

In any case, while playing a game where armor and weapons are available, which do you emphasize more and why?

Flying Mullet
05-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Threads need to go in the forum they best fit, not the forum that gets the most traffic.

*moves to gen gaming*

Weapons versus armor? I usually pick armor first. I've never really thought about why, it's just a habit I've developed over the years.

KentaRawr!
05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
I'd have gone with General Gaming on this one.

Anyway, it depends on the game. If dodging is a common possibility, I'll probably find a weapon that works with that, and then get armor that helps my speed. If dodging isn't, then I'll make sure I have good defense for whatever's thrown at me.

NeoCracker
05-30-2008, 08:06 PM
I like the stabbity.

Weapons for me please.

Roto13
05-30-2008, 08:17 PM
If I don't have enough money for both, I alternate. First I get weapons and the next time I come to a new town I focus on armour.

Tavrobel
05-30-2008, 08:23 PM
I usually go for weapons. Most games use very large numbers when calculating damages, and as such, weapons usually need to have higher stats than armors do, and get the benefit of the formula behind it. Rarely if ever will you do negative damage if the function looks like (Attack Damage - Armor Amount), unless an element is involved. Additionally, games also usually provide two opportunities to mitigate damage: running and dodging.

Now, if the armors had counter capabilities or special mods, this might be a different discussion. It also depends on the availability of healing. If it's free like in Pokemon, who cares what your defense is; if it's not, then you'd probably want to watch a little more closely. This also depends on how severe the penalty for dying is; if you're a level 70 Paladin in Diablo II, you can die all you want. If you're a level 92 Sorceress, you might care more.

Monkey4Soul
05-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Cha. It was a toss-up between the two....

In any case, I like Roto's answer, though I usually pick armor first.

EDIT:Nice same-time post.

ljkkjlcm9
05-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I usually end up prioritizing characters. I'll get weapons and armor for one character, then the next etc. I also never sell old weapons and armor unless there is a limited inventory.

THE JACKEL

JKTrix
05-30-2008, 08:54 PM
I tend not to buy new stuff in games unless my team seems *really* weak without it. If it's the kind of game where I can go back and buy stuff if I need to, I usually go straight on to the next section and if the enemies aren't too tough, I keep whatever equipment I had. Usually, by time I really am too weak (or just taking too long to kill stuff), I have more than enough cash to splurge on the best everything for everyone. I remember going through Tales of Symphonia for the longest time with the default equipment.

I think if I had to choose, I would still go test the next-area's enemies first. If they can kill me too fast, I would get armour. If I can survive a few hits, I'd get the weapons first. Generally, I guess I would go for weapons first.

Dreddz
05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I always choose weapons first. The effects that armour have are hardly noticable. I skip on armour altogether most of the time.

NeoCracker
05-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Additionally, games also usually provide two opportunities to mitigate damage: running and dodging.

You forget the third option.

Destroy their very being before they have time to rack up that much damage against you. ^_^

ljkkjlcm9
05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
I tend not to buy new stuff in games unless my team seems *really* weak without it. If it's the kind of game where I can go back and buy stuff if I need to, I usually go straight on to the next section and if the enemies aren't too tough, I keep whatever equipment I had. Usually, by time I really am too weak (or just taking too long to kill stuff), I have more than enough cash to splurge on the best everything for everyone. I remember going through Tales of Symphonia for the longest time with the default equipment.

I think if I had to choose, I would still go test the next-area's enemies first. If they can kill me too fast, I would get armour. If I can survive a few hits, I'd get the weapons first. Generally, I guess I would go for weapons first.

Well, in Tales of Symphonia, not using recovery items, and using the Wooden sword for like a quarter of the game got you some of the best titles you could get that early in the game on your first playthrough.

THE JACKEL

Flying Mullet
05-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Tav responds in regards to Diablo II.

Whodathunkit?

Araciel
05-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Depends on the game FTW.

Tavrobel
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Tav responds in regards to Diablo II.

Whodathunkit?

I actually qualified my statements in terms of Diablo II. I, in the general sense, responded normally and still go for Weapons as a priority in any other RPG game, as well. I even referenced Pokemon. In your Java game, I even grinded to get the Gremlin Knife before I purchased higher level Evil Armors.

TAKE THAT MULLEYBEAR

Ultima Shadow
05-31-2008, 12:06 AM
Almost always weapons. Only exceptions are when I'm playing some kind of challenge that pretty much requires that I have a certain armor in order to even be able to survive against a certain boss etc. Though I try to get both as often as possible, I sometimes end up with really bad early-game armor for a very long period of time simply because I spend all my money on getting the best weapons aviable. In those games where you can randomly find awesome equipment while progressing trough the storyline rather than having to buy it, I usually don't have to worry much about it though.

But yeah, I generally priorize weapons.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Armor, usually. I can take people out in a number of ways, usually - attacks, magic, skills, items, etc. - but you have to be alive to do that. I tend to grind hard though, so I can usually afford most things.

Vermachtnis
05-31-2008, 01:15 AM
Weapons, because you can actually see them. If it's a game where you can see what armor your wearing I go for that because it's like an alternate costume.

Tasura
05-31-2008, 03:41 AM
If they're a fighty class/character weapons, if they're a magic class/character armor, if the characters have no specific disposition then starting with the main characters full set, then down the list.

Nifleheim7
05-31-2008, 04:10 AM
I always try to balancing it out in the beginning which means i spend an equal amount of money on both armor and weapons.
Later in the game though,i think i give a bit more focus on weapons rather than armor.

Laddy
05-31-2008, 04:54 AM
I try to balance it out most of the time, but I'll lean towards a particular direction depending on skill, class, situation, etc.

blackmage_nuke
05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Neither, Whenever i buy a weapon or armour then a few minutes later i usually find a better weapon or armour just lying on the floor. I only buy weapons and armour when there is a section I am having difficulty with and then it really depends on the situation i am having trouble with.

Rase
05-31-2008, 07:53 AM
Armor, no question. Dunno why, but it's just how I do things. Granted, I rarely have any issues with money and can by the best of both options for my characters, and if I can't I have no problem grinding to make it so I can.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Weapons. My general stance is if I kill them fast enough, they won't have time to do damage to me.