PDA

View Full Version : Should I Bother Being Sucked Into Dragon Quest?

Gogo
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I've always known about DQ. I have I and III for the NES, as well as its GBC remakes. My brother bought me DQVIII a while back, but I really haven't played it much.

I've never beat one of these games. I'll sit down, really hoping to beat one. Then it'll remind me of Final Fantasy, so I'll go back and play FF again!

This time, I'm serious. I've dug out my old NES copies and I want to play. However, I want to get the full effect of this series. Is there anywhere I really should start? The games all seem to be the same to me.

Or should I not waste my time? I'd like to actually beat one, but I'm not sure about committing to one to sit and play it for days.

How do you like this series?

Dreddz
05-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Dragon Quest is a love hate thing with me. I enjoyed the earlier games but never managed to beat any other than I and III. I disliked VII but that was only from spending about an hour with the game, maybe a game I could go back to someday. VIII was superb and one of the best RPG's on the PS2. Im assuming that Level 5's involvement had something to do with it.

I definately recommend VIII, not a perfect game but still one I cant say anything bad about. Its a spruced up old school style RPG and is definately worthy of your time. Out of the older games, I recommend III and if you dont like that then theres no point in playing the others.

Vivisteiner
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
From what Ive heard, you should start with DQVIII. Probably because most people seem to think its the best one. It was my first (and only) one and I loved it. Granted, it took aaages, and the story is nothing much, but the rest of it rocks. Its so pretty and huge.

theundeadhero
05-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Dragon Quest III is my favorite. It's everything an old-school RPG should be. What I really love about the Dragon Quest games, excluding VIII, is the level design. The caves and towers are fun to explore.

Gogo
05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info. I was looking for this kind of stuff to determine if I would be buying the IV-VI remakes and even IX which I heard was coming out.

I've played VIII about an hour. I'm level 4 and about to go into the Waterfall cave.

I used to have VII. I fought only one battle in it. It took forever to be able to battle, and when I finally got there, I felt like, "meh, I'm bored. :eep:"

Roto13
05-30-2008, 11:07 PM
If you actually have to force yourself to sit through a game, it's probably not worth playing.

Vyk
05-31-2008, 12:29 AM
If you actually have to force yourself to sit through a game, it's probably not worth playing.

This is why enjoying a game for me is few and far between. And I'm absolutely no help to the gaming economy. But with such a picky taste pallete for gaming, almost all my gaming memories are very fond. Unfortunately its a very lonely and desolate wait, between amazing games

Edit: And I never attempted DQ8. Since I heard it was so old-school. With grinding. Lots of wandering around. Little plot. All the wrong directions for me. And the battle system isn't anything interesting

BG-57
06-23-2008, 11:46 PM
I liked DW VII, despite its many flaws. So I was tempted to get DQ VIII, but in the end I didn't because it lacked the flexible job system (which reminded me of FFV and FFT) of the previous installment.

Markus. D
06-26-2008, 06:14 PM
So far they're allllllllll the same.