PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Action!

KentaRawr!
05-31-2008, 07:30 PM
So, we all know about Metal Gear, right? That one Stealth Game, yeah. But, something's been bugging me. The only other Stealth Game I can instantly think of is Splinter Cell, and my Brother's roomie said there was also Mission Impossible for the NES.

Do you know of any other Stealth Action games?

Yew-Yevon
05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
None realy come to mind that are as good as the two you mentioned.

KentaRawr!
05-31-2008, 07:58 PM
None realy come to mind that are as good as the two you mentioned.

The fact that any come to mind at all is good. :p Why not tell me what they are?

Psychotic
05-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Every single game since MGS has had at least one stealth mission though. My brother is playing a skating game and apparently is stuck on a stealth mission.

People don't seem to realise that the beauty of MGS was that while stealth helped, it wasn't vital. You'd kick yourself for being discovered, but you could still hold your own against the guards and that was what made it fun. None of this OH NO SPOTTED YOU FAIL bull:skull::skull::skull::skull:.

Dreddz
05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Theres plenty of stealth games out there, how you can only name Metal Gear and Splinter Cell? Tenchu, Hitman, Beyond Good and Evil, Thief, Manhunt, Sly Cooper and even Deus Ex to a certain extent are all stealth games, the good ones anyway.

And nearly 70% of games out there will have certain stealth levels or stages, as Psychotic pointed out.

KentaRawr!
05-31-2008, 08:15 PM
I'm sure if I thought harder I could've thought of those. I know of all of them. I'm surprised I could only think of those two.

About MGS playing, though, whenever I got caught I'd just rid of the guy that saw me, run, and hide. >_> I always got killed if I dared stay and fight.

Cz
05-31-2008, 08:17 PM
The Tenchu series sprung to mind for me. The original game placed great emphasis on stealth, and was actually released before MGS came along and made stealth gameplay popular. In terms of more high-profile titles, the Hitman series probably counts, and although I haven't played Assassin's Creed I think I'm right in saying that avoiding detection is a priority there.

KentaRawr!
05-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Avoiding detection is a priority in Assassin's Creed, but from what I hear, actually hiding from someone only comes into play if you do something stupid like punch a knight in the face.

Gogo
05-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I love Hitman. I've played some levels so many times that I can take out the targets only and leave without being spotted.

Then I can go the other route and kill everyone without dying! :p

Old Manus
05-31-2008, 08:55 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Hostages_box.jpg

leilei
05-31-2008, 09:00 PM
The Tenchu series sprung to mind for me. The original game placed great emphasis on stealth, and was actually released before MGS came along and made stealth gameplay popular.
Castle Wolfenstein says hi.

Shoeberto
05-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Thief is an excellent stealth series. Basically Splinter Cell ripped off most of the gameplay ideas that it features from the original two games.

Old Manus
05-31-2008, 09:19 PM
People don't seem to realise that the beauty of MGS was that while stealth helped, it wasn't vital. You'd kick yourself for being discovered, but you could still hold your own against the guards and that was what made it fun. None of this OH NO SPOTTED YOU FAIL bullshit.You try fighting the unlimited supply of soldiers that rush you when you get spotted on MGS1. Sometimes it was better to just die like a dog than to run and hide, losing half your rations in the process.

Psychotic
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I have tried fighting them. God knows my 12 year old self preferred doing that than to actually sneak past them. I am not a pussy and I know how to use a FAMAS.

Unless you're playing on Extreme or something but god knows that's your own fault for being a masochist.

Old Manus
05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
But...it's impossible to win. They will keep coming until you go out of alert mode (ie hiding)!

Psychotic
05-31-2008, 09:54 PM
You blast through anyone that stands between you and the next area/cut scene.

Old Manus
05-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Good point

I Don't Need A Name
05-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Thief is an excellent stealth series. Basically Splinter Cell ripped off most of the gameplay ideas that it features from the original two games.

QFT
the theif games were really good. shame they dont work on my computer though, i have to drag out the Windows 95 to play on them :D

Cz
05-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Castle Wolfenstein says hi.We've met. I was just pointing out that although MGS tends to get all of the credit for kicking off the stealth-action trend (and, as an unfortunate by-product, the poorly thought out stealth level in every single action/adventure game released since trend) it wasn't the first 3D stealth action title.

And you haven't played MGS until you've done an Extreme run. Go back and do it right, guys. :rolleyes2

KentaRawr!
05-31-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm working on an Extreme run on the remake on the GCN, but it's pretty different. >_>

DMKA
05-31-2008, 10:33 PM
and although I haven't played Assassin's Creed I think I'm right in saying that avoiding detection is a priority there.

It is.

Psychotic
05-31-2008, 10:37 PM
No. Slaughtering beggars and lepers is a priority in Assassin's Creed. Yeesh, don't any of you know how to play games properly?

Pete for President
05-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Tenchu 1 and 2 were awesome.

Madame Adequate
05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Here's all the stealth games, or games you can approach in large part in a stealthy way, off the top of my head:

MGS
Tenchu
Splinter Cell
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Thief
Hitman
Assassin's Creed
Manhunt
Deus Ex
Syphon Filter
Commandos
The Great Escape
Prisoner of War

Cz
05-31-2008, 11:31 PM
CommandosOh hell yes. I'm gonna play me some of this.

DK
05-31-2008, 11:40 PM
No. Slaughtering beggars and lepers is a priority in Assassin's Creed. Yeesh, don't any of you know how to play games properly?

Throwing the annoying bitch beggar women through stalls and into walls is number one, I'm afraid

Big D
06-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Syphon Filter 1&2 had 'forced stealth' sections, where you fail for losing stealth, but all the subsequent titles in the series had stealth as an optional extra. You can charge into any fight with guns blazing, or be cautious and have much less of a firefight on your hands. 'Maintaining stealth' is an objective for some missions, so doing it is essential for 100% completion, but it's entirely possible to complete the game without it.

Pete for President
06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Chicken Run! Ohyeah.

Breine
06-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Tenchu is the only other stealth game series that I can think of.

Actually, the first Tenchu game was good, and so was the second. It's been years since I've played any of them.

Wolf Kanno
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Lol! Syphon Filter was created for people who wanted to play something like MGS but lacked the understanding of the games basic concepts which is "Stealth" I don't know anyone who plays SF as anything other than "run and gun". Still its a good series.

Sly is one of the better stealth games out their and each installment was better than the last. My favorite mission in the first game was in one the last stages you had to rescue Carmillia in a booby trapped room that required you to use every stealthy thief ability you have obtained in the game. Being spotted pretty much killed you.

MGS has incorporated better fighting mechanics with each installment but I feel this is more for the whiners who bitch about having to use stealth for everything in a game about stealth... :rolleyes2

Spammerman
06-02-2008, 02:56 AM
Avoiding detection is a priority in Assassin's Creed, but from what I hear, actually hiding from someone only comes into play if you do something stupid like punch a knight in the face.

its hiding in the open.