PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos!

Avarice-ness
05-31-2008, 07:31 PM
In regards to the lovely piercing thread~~

I myself am not a piercer, my husband loves piercings but there's something we both love more than his piercings!

And that thing is a tattoo!

I have yet to have the time and money to get as many as him, but right now I saddly only have two. The japanese symbol for Joy on my left shoulder and two snakes forming a heart about an inch and a half top to bottom and side to side on my right wrist.
He also has the same snake hearts but they're on his left wrist. He also has an arm sleeve in progress on his arm starting from his wrist to his elbow with a whole bunch of random tribal looking things. Basically he plans to have his left arm covered by the tribal tattoos. He also has a cresent moon about 4 or 5 inches across on the top side part of his left arm.
He's planning to finish his arm sleeve and get a wedding ring tattoo'd on his finger.

I'd do the same, but after having my wrist tattoo'd. THAT STUFF HURT. So if he wants a ring around his ring finger done by a tattoo then he can. I'll keep my ring. I would have to mentally prepare myself for another wrist tattoo. Going from a shoulder getting tattoo'd to wrist is UNREAL. When I started getting to the point of being sick, my natural body feel-goods kicked in and rose me back up~

Either way, I plan on getting more. I would have gotten another one a few months ago but then I can't get a tattoo with the baby! xD But I have plans for my other shoulder, my neck, and -maybe- my other wrist.

I love tattoo's. The feeling, the awesome after math where you're just like pumped up on endorphins, EVERYTHING.

Proxy
05-31-2008, 07:50 PM
I have 2 nautical stars on my upper chest...near my collarbones. soon to be getting my daughter's handprint with a banner through it, with "TK 09/08/06" on the banner, and then eventually a pair of wings, starting behind the stars, going upm, around my shoulders, and then down my back about half way
should be pretty cool.
I love tattoo's so relaxing and just interesting to think about it...ink, stabbing your skin, and it's there forever!

Avarice-ness
05-31-2008, 08:09 PM
I have 2 nautical stars on my upper chest...near my collarbones. soon to be getting my daughter's handprint with a banner through it, with "TK 09/08/06" on the banner, and then eventually a pair of wings, starting behind the stars, going upm, around my shoulders, and then down my back about half way
should be pretty cool.
I love tattoo's so relaxing and just interesting to think about it...ink, stabbing your skin, and it's there forever!

Aww that's a cute idea with the handprint!

And I agree, tattoo's are relaxing. One of the few things in life where you can just sit back, get inked up, and have those marks forever.
The only thing that annoys me is that my husband picks at his tattoo's when they're healing over, and then I'm always like "YOU'RE DESTROYING ITTTTTT". My snakes are so much prettier and smoother than his. u u;

As for me.

I love snakes. LOVE SNAKES. I believe highly in the positive mythology to snakes, basically as using snakes as a way of guidance.
For my neck, I want an Oroborous~ While reading the myth behind the serpent eating his own tail with a crown and wings I was drawn in. I believe -everything- has two sides. Positive and negative and one of the definitions for the Oroborous is everything and nothing. Basically, old myths say that the serpent was the creator and destroyer of the world we know. Things like that just... interest me. So I'm going to have that on my neck.

My other shoulder will stay with the theme of the oroborus. While my left shoulder has the japanese symbol for joy, my right will have the japanese symbol for pain.

On my other wrist, I might get a snake that wraps around like a bracelet. While the snakes on my wrist symbolism my husband and myself. The snake around my other wrist will be for our child. And then if we have more kids, then there shall be more snakes on that wrist!

Basically all of the contradicting tattoo's stay on my back. The one's on the front are not contradicting and alike. All snakes, all about family, and all about love. So essentially, my tattoo's on the front of my body will contradict the back of my body. I'll literally be a walking contradiction. And yeah.. I've put a MASS AMOUNT of thought into it. xD

Breine
05-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Tattoos fascinate me quite a lot, and I've often thought about getting one. I'm just not sure what I want it to be and if I actually really want one or if it's just fascination.

Polaris
05-31-2008, 09:04 PM
I want to get at least one ^^ I'm just waiting to know someone good enough to make it!

Araciel
05-31-2008, 09:28 PM
I had planned to get a really awesome, cheap tattoo this summer, but my hook-up is half-dissolved now...so it may cost a bit more than cheap.

I like tattoos a lot.

Zeldy
05-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm really fascinated by them, I really want one when I'm older; nothing big, just a small and cute little tattoo. A little heart or paw print, but just something, eee! that'd be so cool.

Proxy
05-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Mmm I forgot that I wanted the Oroborus from FMA on me somewhere lol. Thanks Avarice for that little reminder

DMKA
05-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I think they're hawt on other people but I'd never get one.

Rye
05-31-2008, 10:41 PM
I want a small one, but I'm a big cry baby and I wouldn't be able to deal with the pain, probably.

Shoeberto
05-31-2008, 11:36 PM
Tats are a pretty big turn off for me.

I'd never get one. I don't like the idea of that kind of permenancy in something I'd likely regret.

cloud21zidane16
06-01-2008, 12:10 AM
I like some of them, i wouldnt want to be covered in them but i might get an England flag on the top of my arm or something soon:cool:

Balzac
06-01-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm planning on getting some tribal sleeves. Should be fun.

Avarice-ness
06-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Mmm I forgot that I wanted the Oroborus from FMA on me somewhere lol. Thanks Avarice for that little reminder

xD Dude, get a real one. The old drawings from -waaaaaaaaay- back when are epic. I usually don't like shading and mass detail 'cause I'm a plain and simple person, but yeah I'm going to draw my oroborus based off the old mythology pictures and it's gonna be epic. :love:

Proxy
06-01-2008, 02:36 AM

xD Dude, get a real one. The old drawings from -waaaaaaaaay- back when are epic. I usually don't like shading and mass detail 'cause I'm a plain and simple person, but yeah I'm going to draw my oroborus based off the old mythology pictures and it's gonna be epic. :love:

pics? i don't think i've seen it.

Avarice-ness
06-01-2008, 02:52 AM

pics? i don't think i've seen it.

Just google it! Plus there's a few books with pictures at book stores and stuff in the art section. I forgot what the title was though. =[ I'd like to design my own and such though.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/ouroboros2.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/ouroboros4.jpg

That's an infinity Oroborous, one of the original drawings. The other's just.. a horrible fat Oroborous dragon. xD

I do like something like these though, more moderny.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/Ouroboros-1.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/ouroboros.gif

I just realized that the last one says Oroborous in one of it's many spellings. That's awesome.

Proxy
06-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Just google it! Plus there's a few books with pictures at book stores and stuff in the art section. I forgot what the title was though. =[ I'd like to design my own and such though.

That's an infinity Oroborous, one of the original drawings. The other's just.. a horrible fat Oroborous dragon. xD

I do like something like these though, more moderny.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/Ouroboros-1.jpg

I just realized that the last one says Oroborous in one of it's many spellings. That's awesome.

this one is epic. probably gonna get that! thanks Ava!

Jess
06-01-2008, 04:11 AM
I have a tattoo on my lower back. It's a celtic design of a star and a moon. The moon is coloured purple, and the star is coloured pink. I've had it since I was 16, and I don't regret it one bit.

I want one more, on my hipbone. I'm not sure what of. I was originally thinking of a small heart with with black and white(well, skin coloured) stripes inside (symbolising my love for Newcastle) but I don't think I like that idea anymore because hearts are really common. I plan on whatever it is to be small though.

but, yes! I like tattoos. I don't like it when people have too many though, and I prefer it them in places that can be covered up by clothing too, so they're only on show if you want them to be. :jess:

Kes
06-01-2008, 05:30 AM
I just Sharpie my ankle with that classic tattoo blue. It fools lots of people.

I say that I don't have a real tattoo because I'd get bored with it too fast, but mostly it's 'cause I just don't react well to needles. >.>

Momiji
06-01-2008, 06:27 AM
I feel the same about tattoos as I do about piercings. It may look good on some people, but not me. I can't say I dislike them though. My cousin recently got cherry blossoms inked all the way from the right side of her chest all the way to the middle of her thigh, and my other cousin got a koi on his back and they look really cool, I think.

I can't say I dislike them though. I always thought if I'd ever get a tattoo, it would be a small one, probably something plant-related (trees or flowers or something).

DarkLadyNyara
06-01-2008, 07:08 AM
I want a tatoo, but I'm not sure where I want ti, or what exactly I want it of. Though I'm a sucker for Celtic knots, so it'll probably be along those lines.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g89/crimsonh2o/ouroboros.gif

Okay, I so want that one now. :D

Proxy
06-01-2008, 08:25 AM
i like how these threads are bringing out what people want and consider getting piercing and threads

Tasura
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
I so want a tattoo, but getting one is impossible until my father dies, since he'd disown me otherwise =/. when I get one, I don't know what it'll be, I'll probably do something stupid and get one on the back of my hand.

smittenkitten
06-01-2008, 10:50 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Reaha/pawprints.jpg

I want this up my back but it would be much smaller paw prints. I also would like to have paw prints around my ankle. :)

Rye
06-01-2008, 12:48 PM
The only tattoos I've fer srs considered is getting something small (like a card spade or something) on my ankle. I also like the idea of two very small angel wings, one on each shoulder, but then I felt like a gross FF8 weaboo, because if someone saw them and yelled "OH RINOA <333", I'd probably go off myself.

theundeadhero
06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
When it was just finished and so still red

http://www.geocities.com/floydsarmy/pics/tattoo.bmp

On my shoulder, from my last elections party signature

http://www.geocities.com/floydsarmy/bad.png

Blue Harvest
06-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I'd quite like to have flames on both of my wrists. One of my friends has them and it looks really cool.

Edit: Like this (http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff36/xstarfallx/mypics/Photo-0047.jpg)

Avarice-ness
06-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I so want a tattoo, but getting one is impossible until my father dies, since he'd disown me otherwise =/. when I get one, I don't know what it'll be, I'll probably do something stupid and get one on the back of my hand.

I got the one on my shoulder like about 3 years ago. And -omg- when I moved in with my dad he was like devasted. I got lectured about tattoo's and how they're evil because they taint the "holy vessel" and he wouldn't let me wear tank tops in the summer because you could see the Tattoo if I wore tank tops.

After like.. accepting that I had already got the tattoo and it wasn't going anywhere, he lightened up about it. He did tell me that I would -never- get another tattoo while being under his roof. Luckly now that I'm married I'm not under his roof because my dad believes that marriage is the most rational and mature of desicions so if I believe that a tattoo is rational while married, that's up to me.
So yeah, I would have been disowned, but since I'm married now I'm old enough to make desicions like tattoos'.. even though I'm 22. xD

duckie
06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I think it's really awesome when people get tatoo sleeves- where their entire arm is tattooed. It just looks really cool.

Evastio
06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't really like tattoos since they're permanent and they usually have bad effects on your health (or others especially during pregnancy).

Balzac
06-01-2008, 09:44 PM
You can get tattoos now that last either a few months or a few years. Also, I;ve never heard of tattoos giving health problems during pregnancy, that;s a new one.

Avarice-ness
06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
You can get tattoos now that last either a few months or a few years. Also, I;ve never heard of tattoos giving health problems during pregnancy, that;s a new one.

The main concern with getting a tattoo during pregnancy is the risk of contracting an infection, such as Hepatitis B and HIV. Although the risk is small, it is recommended that you wait to get a tattoo until after your baby is born.

You will be very interested to know that little information is available about the safety of skin dyes used for tattooing during pregnancy. It is possible that the chemicals in the dye may affect the development of the baby during the first 12 weeks, but the risks are unknown, as are any effects on the baby during the remainder of the pregnancy.

Some women may have also heard that if they have a tattoo on their back, then they will be unable to get an epidural. Very few studies have been done on the risks that could exist for women who have back tattoos and receive an epidural. So far none of these studies have conclusively found any data that shows that there are risks, so most anesthesiologists have no problem giving an epidural to a woman with a back tattoo. If you want an epidural and have a tattoo on your back, it still would be best to contact the hospital and find out the policy in regard to tattoos and epidurals.

The risk of contracting an infection is small, but you could pass the infection to your baby if you are breastfeeding. Ultimately it's your decision, but you may want to wait until you are not breastfeeding to get a new tattoo.

It is very unlikely that you will find a tattooist who will be willing to perform a tattoo for you if you are pregnant. I contacted a number of tattooists while researching this subject, and all of them said they would not perform a tattoo if the client was pregnant. They gave a variety of reasons for this.

It is not unusual for people having a tattoo to faint or pass out. The tattooists felt that they were not prepared to take the risk of a pregnant woman fainting.

Several tattooists commented that they believed the action of having a tattoo may prove so shocking that it may lead the woman to go into labour! There is some evidence that stressful events in pregnancy may result in premature labour but having a tattoo has not been identified as one of these significantly stressful life events in any literature available to midwives. Interestingly there were comments about the ink that was used during the tattooing process. The tattooists felt that there wasn't enough known about any possible effects the ink, which may be partly absorbed into the body, may possibly have on the baby.

It therefore seems sensible to err on the side of caution and wait to have a tattoo until after the baby is born, rather than take any unnecessary risks during pregnancy.

During pregnancy, the way a woman feels about her body and her body image is altered. Something you may feel you would like to have during pregnancy may be something you regret after the baby is born. This may be another good reason for waiting until after the birth.

If you have a tattoo during pregnancy on skin that has been stretched, or you have put on a considerable amount of weight, bear in mind that the appearance of the tattoo may change after the baby is born. This is another reason for waiting.

If you are determined to have a tattoo in pregnancy despite the advice above, make sure that you choose a practitioner who uses disposable needles and whose equipment is scrupulously clean and has been sterilised properly. If unclean equipment is used, there is a real possibility of catching a serious infection, including Hepatitis B, which could have significant effects on you and your baby.

With both my tattoo's before I even signed the consent papers or what ever, the first thing they asked me was if I was pregnant. Obviously at the time I wasn't, but really the pregnancy thing is completely reasonable. Personally, I've yet to meet a tattoo artist who didn't ask about pregnancy.

Also, most people argue that the ink only stays on the top layers of skin and what not. BUT THAT IS NOT ALWAYS GAURENTEE'D. There are nicely qualified tattoo artists that have tattoo'd too deep before, all you need is a jerked movement for the needle to go too far. When I got my first Tattoo there was -one very tiny area- that was too deep and I was HORRIBLY sick for about 3 days. I went to the doctor and they said it was prolly from the tattoo because even a small amount of ink might have gotten into my blood stream.

Also, apparently SOME doctors won't give you an epidural if you have a lower back tattoo. What's funny is that when looking at all the people online it's really something that the doctor chooses because there are some M.D.'s who say they will and some who say they won't. Basically they don't want to risk knocking the pigments (even if the tattoo is older) into the blood stream would could cause complications for infections caught during labor and before labor.

Peegee
06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I want to get a canadian flag somewhere on my body. It has to be a place that's simultaneously visible when I wear my regular street clothes AND something I can cover when I have to go into the office.

Suggestions?

Avarice-ness
06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
I want to get a canadian flag somewhere on my body. It has to be a place that's simultaneously visible when I wear my regular street clothes AND something I can cover when I have to go into the office.

Suggestions?

The backs the best place to have for "street" and for "profressional" ESPECIALLY with guys.

Now, you would also do good on the top part of your arm near your shoulder, but it could be visible if you had one of those "casual/professional" days where you you could wear a nice shirt (a polo shirt) and khaki's.
It really would depend what your "professional" dress is.

Either way though, anywhere on the back is safe for professional life of a guy.

For girls, there's always the chance that you could end up wearing a tank top or something of the sort, so arm and back aren't always as safe because.. saddly no a days womens professional clothes don't cover as much as they do for men.
Usually the hip is the safest place for a girl in the work place since most world places don't want to see any skin lower than your breasts and higher than your crotch.
A tiny wrist one can be pulled off to by a watch or a bracelet.

Peegee
06-02-2008, 01:24 AM
Anything on my back won't be visible unless I took off my shirt. I might end up putting the tattoo on my chest or something, like I planned from the start (actually I wanted it on my neck before I thought of the ramifications)

Avarice-ness
06-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Anything on my back won't be visible unless I took off my shirt. I might end up putting the tattoo on my chest or something, like I planned from the start (actually I wanted it on my neck before I thought of the ramifications)

You never know. xD Depends on what kind of shirt you consider casual. I know alot of guys who wear tanks and wifebeater type tanks so.. yeah you can see it on the back.

Peegee
06-02-2008, 02:08 AM

You never know. xD Depends on what kind of shirt you consider casual. I know alot of guys who wear tanks and wifebeater type tanks so.. yeah you can see it on the back.

I don't. I wear convoluted fashion like short sleeveless hoodies or golf shirts with t-shirts beneath them.

I should just find out what IBM's standard is for tattoos. Maybe I can get one in a less-than-obvious place like my forearm (underside) or on my neck, where the collar shirt might cover.

It's all an academic exercise in the end since I work from home (but you never know. Working from home is not as permanent as a tattoo).

Tasura
06-02-2008, 09:47 AM

I got the one on my shoulder like about 3 years ago. And -omg- when I moved in with my dad he was like devasted. I got lectured about tattoo's and how they're evil because they taint the "holy vessel" and he wouldn't let me wear tank tops in the summer because you could see the Tattoo if I wore tank tops.

After like.. accepting that I had already got the tattoo and it wasn't going anywhere, he lightened up about it. He did tell me that I would -never- get another tattoo while being under his roof. Luckly now that I'm married I'm not under his roof because my dad believes that marriage is the most rational and mature of desicions so if I believe that a tattoo is rational while married, that's up to me.
So yeah, I would have been disowned, but since I'm married now I'm old enough to make desicions like tattoos'.. even though I'm 22. xD

It's not that he'd just disown me, but he'd kick me out of the house, which isn't a good thing when you have no where else to go. The house kickage out of doesn't stop there either, piercings and died hair also = getting kicked out, essentially anything unnatural = kicked out.

Blue Harvest
06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
I think it's really awesome when people get tatoo sleeves- where their entire arm is tattooed. It just looks really cool.

I suddenly have a desire to get my entire left arm tattooed :D

duckie
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM

I suddenly have a desire to get my entire left arm tattooed :D

LOL
Blue Harvest- Biker Dude :radred:
FTW

Jess
06-02-2008, 02:26 PM
You can get tattoos now that last either a few months or a few years.
No. I looked into this before I got my tattoo. It's basically a hoax. Everything I've heard about these 'semi-permanent' tattoos hasn't been good.

The fact is, when you insert tattoo ink under the skin, it's there to stay. It may fade over time, but it won't just disappear. There is no magical ink that fades completely away after a predetermined length of time.

Some of them will say that they tattoo the ink so lightly that it doesn't become permanent - that somehow it's only embedded in a temporary layer of skin that will wash it away. This is also impossible. There are 3 main layers of epidermis - most tattoos go into the second layer. But if you only go into the first layer (which would require surgical if not magical precision) the ink may very well fade - but not evenly and not completely. What you'd be left with is a really crappy half-tattoo with splotches of ink here and there.

Klicks Tattoo quotes an article from The Times where Dr. Arthur Morris, a plastic surgeon, says, "A tattoo only lasts if it goes into the dermis [the layer of cells below the epidermis]. In other words, there is no possible middle ground." In the same article, Lal Hardy, a secretery for the A.P.T., is quoted as saying, "Professional tattoo studios won't go near these so-called temporary tattoos. It is hairdressers and market stalls who are doing them. The people doing it may even believe the tattoos are temporary, but those getting them are guinea pigs."

So, basically, this is nothing but a scam. Stick-on tattoos are temporary (3-7 days) and henna art is temporary (2-4 weeks) and tattoos are permanent. Those are the only real choices you have. If you are not prepared to keep your tattoo for the rest of your life, you'd be best off not to get one at all.

Peegee
06-02-2008, 02:33 PM
When making the decision for tattoos consider whether you can live with that piece of art stuck on your body for (naturally) ever and ever. Consider things like aging and possible extreme body changes (I'm not putting any tattoos where if I were to lose a lot of weight or gain a lot of weight it'd mess things up) as factors that may mess things up. As stated above, consider whether your job function will be hampered, real life limitations, etc

duckie
06-02-2008, 03:58 PM
My friend got a bunch of tattoos, and when he went to work he had to cover them all up. It was a real pain.

Araciel
06-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Anything on my back won't be visible unless I took off my shirt. I might end up putting the tattoo on my chest or something, like I planned from the start

Like a superhero?!

Avarice-ness
06-02-2008, 06:34 PM
My friend got a bunch of tattoos, and when he went to work he had to cover them all up. It was a real pain.

Yeah my cousin has like.. .. a lot tattoo's I think. Two covering her wrists, a half sleeve on her left arm, a tattoo covering the top portion of her feet on each foot, two on her back, one on her neck, one on her calf.

Basically she did almost all of these the second she turned 18 and then decided she wanted to go to school for fashion design to design clothes for people like ambercrombie and american eagle. Those hopes dwindled once she realized that when in the fashion industry you must dress as if you are in the fashion industry. She basically was told, even by teachers, she would have a better chance working for a designer who did punk clothes and such.

So after that, she decided she wanted to be a teacher. She's still going to school to be a teacher and has now accepted that she will be wearing long pants and long sleeves dress shirts for her entire teaching career because most schools don't let elementary teachers have half their body covered in tattoo's.

Proxy
06-03-2008, 06:08 AM
heyy PG maybe you should think on your forarm, underside nearest your elbow? i dunno...interesting place. or back of your neck.

Peegee
06-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Anything on my back won't be visible unless I took off my shirt. I might end up putting the tattoo on my chest or something, like I planned from the start

Like a superhero?!

Well not as big as a frigging superman S but yes, like a superhero.

Obsidian
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I have always wanted a tribal-esque tatoo, one that flourishes up one arm and across my chest/back.

And I want one of Warmech from FF1. On the bottom of my foot. :p

Tama2
06-06-2008, 02:19 PM
I only have my son's initials in big green lettering on my right arm. :(

I'm gonna get a Betty Boop on my left arm soon, for my late father. Then something for teh wife. and some more....and more....

Final_Lioness
06-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Well I just got my first Tattoo today, it was rather painful :cry:, the outline was painful and towards the lower part of my leg.

I love lions :love:, and i get involved with lion vs tiger, animals on another forum, and i support the lion, and have been for over 3 years. I did my senior project on lions and tigers, so i love this tattoo lol.

I'd like to get ifrit on me one day.

The design, drawing from a friend at a forum, goes by the name of Dark Hyena
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/6447/alien025tt2md0.jpg

Right after getting it done.
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/7794/hpim0529ki9.jpg

Later that night, which if your reading this post and the time says 11 or later on a saturday, its now :p
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9933/hpim0534pa4.jpg

Randgris
06-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Somewhere hidden, maybe at the back, but that is after I conquer my fear of needles.

Kirobaito
06-22-2008, 07:11 AM
Tats are a pretty big turn off for me.

I'd never get one. I don't like the idea of that kind of permenancy in something I'd likely regret.
cue eff tee.

~*~Celes~*~
06-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I was thinking about getting only one, on my shoulder blade. A heart with wings and hubby's name in a ribbon banner thing across the heart.