PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario RPG Goes to the Virtual Console in Japan in June. Is NA next?

Crossblades
06-01-2008, 04:40 PM
IGN: Super Mario RPG Goes Virtual in Japan (http://wii.ign.com/articles/877/877906p1.html)

June looks like it's going to be another packed month for Virtual Console fans over in Japan. Nintendo announced today the lineup for the coming month, and leading it off are such big RPG hits as Super Mario RPG and Phantasy Star 4.

In all, the June lineup has fourteen titles. Here's the full list. Unless otherwise noted, all games are set for an undisclosed point this month.

Famicom (NES)
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (Konami, June 3, 500 WiiPoints)
Transformers Convoy no Nazo (Taraka Tomy, 500)
Chou Nekketsu Dodge Ball (Arc System Works, 500)
Yoshi's Cookie (Nintendo, 500)

Super Famicom (SNES)
Super Mario RPG (Nintendo, 900)

Master System
Asyura (Sega, June 3, 500)

Mega Drive (Genesis)
Phantasy Star IV (Sega, 700)

PC Engine (Turbo Grafx)
Power Tennis (Hudson, June 3, 600)
Lords of Thunder (Hudson, 800)
Paranoia (Naxat Soft, 600)
Blazing Lasers (Hudson, 600)

Neo Geo
King of the Monsters (D4, June 4, 900)
Ninja Commando (D4, 900)
Art of Fighting 2 (D4, 900)

EDIT - Sorry posted in wrong forum ><

KentaRawr!
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
If you posted it in the right one, I'd have never seen this. This is awesome!

Vyk
06-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I never got into the original much. I never figured out much of the appeal. I thought it was an interesting idea but failed experiment. Nice that people like it so much though. Just wish it had been a little different

ReloadPsi
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Seeing it finally show up for European release would be nice >=o

Shoeberto
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
They'd have to jack up the price by 100 Wii points, though, for the... uh... localisation, and stuff! In fact you'll get it in three years, because of that.

Depression Moon
06-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Are you really sure about that? The game had already been localised once. I still have my SNES copy so I'm not really excited like the rest of you.

Dreddz
06-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I never got into the original much. I never figured out much of the appeal. I thought it was an interesting idea but failed experiment. Nice that people like it so much though. Just wish it had been a little different

I feel exactly the same way.

I think Phantasy Star IV is what everyone should be excited about, one of the best RPG's ever (alongside PSII which I think is already on VC). What interests me the most are the Neo Geo games they are putting out. Even the cheap ones go for around Ł20, your getting a nice discount on the VC. It would be funny if what got me to buy a Wii wasnt Wii games but rather Neo Geo games released on the VC.

Shoeberto
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
NeoGeo ports are worth it just for Metal Slug, which came out last week on VC. I plan on getting it soon. Friggin' love that stuff.

Roto13
06-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Metal Slug Anthology should be pretty cheap by now, though. I think it's like $20 at my local Wal-Mart.

KentaRawr!
06-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Releasing Metal Slug on the VC is a silly idea, after Metal Slug Anthology has been released. Of course, the VC Versions are "more true" to the originals. In MSA, most mechanical enemies don't flash when you shoot them, but in the VC Version, they do flash. Also, the only control method on MSA that doesn't use motion control in any way is the GCN Controller, but then you're using an Analog Stick.

ljkkjlcm9
06-01-2008, 10:51 PM

I feel exactly the same way.

I think Phantasy Star IV is what everyone should be excited about, one of the best RPG's ever (alongside PSII which I think is already on VC). What interests me the most are the Neo Geo games they are putting out. Even the cheap ones go for around Ł20, your getting a nice discount on the VC. It would be funny if what got me to buy a Wii wasnt Wii games but rather Neo Geo games released on the VC.

For some reason I could never quite enjoy the RPG's where you see the battles from behind your characters. Not quite sure what it is. I like to see my characters fighting, rather than just a sword swipe in the air over the enemy or something. Even FFI battles I enjoyed more than that, just seeing them flail their weapons. Sadly, yes, this was enough to put me off from the games.

THE JACKEL

Marshall Banana
06-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Now I kind of regret that I paid thirty-five dollars for a SMRPG cartridge that's missing half of its label.

Dreddz
06-02-2008, 01:17 AM
For some reason I could never quite enjoy the RPG's where you see the battles from behind your characters. Not quite sure what it is. I like to see my characters fighting, rather than just a sword swipe in the air over the enemy or something. Even FFI battles I enjoyed more than that, just seeing them flail their weapons. Sadly, yes, this was enough to put me off from the games.

THE JACKAL

Thats a shame, but I understand. I couldnt enjoy Phantasy Star I as much as the others because you couldnt see your character at any time. Only a small nag for an otherwise great game.

Monol
06-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Good stuff good stuff.

Super mario rpg is freakin awsome!

ljkkjlcm9
06-02-2008, 02:41 AM

THE JACKAL

Thats a shame, but I understand. I couldnt enjoy Phantasy Star I as much as the others because you couldnt see your character at any time. Only a small nag for an otherwise great game.

yes and no for me. Considering battling is a big part of the game, and the fact that it would bother me everytime I went into battle... I just couldn't get into the games. Trust me, I've tried.

THE JACKEL

Gogo
06-02-2008, 02:46 AM
I can save my 900 Wii Points! :D

I bought it for $70 back in 1996. :mad:

Karellen
08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
It's been released! (http://kotaku.com/5040302/super-mario-rpg-hits-pal-virtual-console)

In Europe.

Yar
08-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I just played my SNES copy like, last night. :p

If you've never played this game, you are really missing out.

Wasn't it never released in Europe? Maybe that's why they got it now.

Elskidor
08-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Any news on if it's going to reach the states?

ReloadPsi
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Europe finally got it!? We got screwed out of Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger and the early FF titles (initially).

Damn you Square!

Roto13
09-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Apparently it hit the Vitual Console today in North America. I haven't checked, but that's pretty great news. :)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2008, 05:56 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/forpower.png

Marshall Banana
09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/Emotions/bowsercry.gif

Yar
09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I tried to buy it for my brother on the Wii, but since I totally forgot my PIN at the ATM yesterday, it won't let me buy it. Bank is closed, too. Damn, Labor Day!

qwertysaur
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Wait, it's on the virtual console? Yay!

Hyperion4444
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I was already playing the game on SNES.
Good to know the Wii has it.
Has there been any modifications done to it?
Are the Characters Stats been improved?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Games on the Virtual Console are identical to their original versions. That's the whole appeal.

Roto13
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Pokemon Snap added the ability to export your pictures to the Wii message board.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
That was really just an emulation of the ability to print your photographs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokemon_Snap#Marketing) as stickers in the original release.

Not that there aren't exceptions: Sin & Punishment, originally a Japan exclusive, had all its text translated when it was released for the American VC. And Nintendo made minor edits to games like The Legend of Zelda, too. But these were all cosmetic changes and had nothing to do with how the games play.

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
...is this the perfect moment to post this awesome video? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKGwepqtNY)

Roto13
09-17-2008, 01:19 AM
I decided to pick it up just now. :P And now, I go to play.

*flees*

NeoCracker
09-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm about to go to Lands End now. :p

Coma
09-17-2008, 01:06 PM
...is this the perfect moment to post this awesome video? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGKGwepqtNY)

I came.

Roto13
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
This is kind of awkward with the Game Cube controller. Jumping is B and running is Y, so it's tough to run and jump at the same time.