PDA

View Full Version : Pomp and Circumstance~

~*~Celes~*~
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I finally graduated from high school today! :D I've been waiting for this day for so long and now that it's here, it's so...surreal. I don't feel like I'm a high school graduate and that I'm leaving for England in 2 days...

How was it for you when you graduated from high school? Any funny stories to share?

Bunny
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I attended a specialty private school for the majority of my senior year. As such, I was given the opportunity to not attend my graduation. I took this chance and I did not go, I slept in instead. I do not regret my decision because I do not believe high school to be an important enough accomplishment to warrant any sort of special praise or celebration. High school is not a difficult thing and anyone who says otherwise has either a low intelligence or is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I also detest that annoying song.

Momiji
06-01-2008, 10:41 PM
I graduate next Saturday, even though I've been out of school for three months.

Shoeberto
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I graduated last year. The ceremony sucked, to say the least. The school put more focus on our girl's softball team winning state than the fact that we were graduating and moved everything around to accomodate them. Plus, even though it hadn't rained for hours, they decided to hold the commencement in our gym. Which was overcrowded, and my school doesn't have air conditioning, so the whole thing was just miserably hot and kept dragging on and on.

The current seniors at school graduated last night. Hearing that made me feel old.

DMKA
06-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I graduated in 2003. First they prayed (lawl) then some dumb girl sang a dumb country song. Then we watched a slide show that lasted way too long. Then all 25 of us (yes, 25) walked across the stage. All the while in a gym with no air conditioning. Then we all threw our caps up in the air while a Creed song was playing in the background.

It sucked, but it was a wonderful release, at last. Also, now that I think about it, there was no Pomp and Circumstance whatsoever at my graduation.

Quindiana Jones
06-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Congratulations! Now your life gets harder and more work focused!

DMKA
06-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Congratulations! Now your life gets harder and more work focused!

Shhhh! You aren't supposed to tell them.

cloud21zidane16
06-01-2008, 10:55 PM
When i finished school last year it was also really surreal for me, for the last few weeks everyone was moaning "theres no point in comingin anymore" lol:D then the last day came and i walked out the front and couldnt believe id been going there for 5 years, and now its over:eek:

DMKA
06-01-2008, 10:56 PM
When i finished school last year it was also really surreal for me, for the last few weeks everyone was moaning "theres no point in comingin anymore" lol:D then the last day came and i walked out the front and couldnt believe id been going there for 5 years, and now its over:eek:

High school lasts five years in England? O__o

rubah
06-01-2008, 10:57 PM
I <a href="http://www.snowy-day.net/?view=writing-valedictorian%20speech">gave a speech</a>.

Actually a bunch of other people gave speeches first. then my second in command (salutatorian), then me, then we went to play our last song in the band (I think it was a disney/aladdin medley), then they called us up to get our empty envelopes and a rose and to shake the supers's hand. (they mailed us our diplomas) and then we left! except I had to give my friend back her shoes because I didn't have any black heels and borrowed hers. We have similar sized feet but I wasn't used to wearing heels so it was very difficult.

I bought a special dress that no one even saw.

This picture was staged:
http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/mes/alliestugrads.jpg

qwertysaur
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I fiddled with my gold cord during the first speech, then It began to rain really hard and the ceramony was cut short after the salutatory speech. And the girls gown was white too.

cloud21zidane16
06-01-2008, 11:03 PM

High school lasts five years in England? O__o

We call it secondary school, you start when your 11 turning 12 all the way till the last year when your 15 turning 16.

Psychotic
06-01-2008, 11:11 PM
High school lasts five years in England? O__oTechnically it's called secondary school and yeah, lasts from 11-16 years old. EDIT: Beaten, never mind!

We don't really have graduation over here until university, and mine is in a month. At school we just had a "Leaver's Assembly" which featured my head of year going on about how bitchin' awesome we all were and being obsessed with our poncey netball team which were the 4th best in the country or something else wonderful which nobody actually cared about. It was kind of stupid 'cause it was held on a non-school uniform day, and while those are great and all, they're not really suited to formal "Hey, you're leaving this dump!" occasions.

Also "Pomp and circumstance" is Land of Hope and Glory. Wasn't it enough for you Americans to steal God Save the Queen and rename it "My Country Tis of Thee" or whatever? We haven't stolen the Stars and Stripes Forever and renamed it "A song to drink tea to", you know, but we're sorely tempted.

DMKA
06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Also "Pomp and circumstance" is Land of Hope and Glory. Wasn't it enough for you Americans to steal God Save the Queen and rename it "My Country Tis of Thee" or whatever? We haven't stolen the Stars and Stripes Forever and renamed it "A song to drink tea to", you know, but we're sorely tempted.

Americans didn't "steal" anything. You Brits just brought it with you and changed it up a little after you slaughtered all the natives. :rolleyes2

Freya
06-01-2008, 11:14 PM
We were throwing beach balls about and then you just see an inflatable alligator fly by..... we were so not serious about it.

Psychotic
06-01-2008, 11:27 PM
Americans didn't "steal" anything. You Brits just brought it with you and changed it up a little after you slaughtered all the natives. :rolleyes2Except for the fact that the American version was written in 1831, but nice try. Bonus points for the "GRRR YOU SLAUGHTERED NATIVES!" thing.

Avarice-ness
06-01-2008, 11:29 PM
My graduation in 2004 was boring.

Why was it boring?

Because we had 896 people in my class. It takes a VERY VERY LONG AND BORING TIME to finally get out of there. By the end of it, no one even really wanted to do anything.

As for me, my mom got into a car accident shortly after graduation was over. So really that was the only memorable thing about graduation.

Jess
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
We had a Leavers Assembly when I left Secondary School. We had movies and pictures of us shown from the 5 years, provided by the students. We also had awards and speeches, too~ :jess:

Shlup
06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
My friend and I weren't allowed to go to graduation, so we slept in and then met my husband at the park. He went and graduated with high honors. xD

Our diplomas still say the same date as his though!

Rye
06-02-2008, 12:04 AM
I graduate on my 18th birthday. How FUN. LOLOLOLOL.

Disco Potato
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
My graduation itself wasn't memorable enough to share with people who weren't personally there to see it, except maybe for the fact that the ceremony was held at the same uni I go to now :Oo:. But the night of graduation, the seniors got to go to Dave & Buster's (after paying $80) and hang out and do different things provided by D&B and our high school's PTSA. The thing lasted until about 5 the next morning, but my friends and I wound up going on the last bus, which took forever to come pick us up and take us back to school. So I basically got home at 7:30 that morning. It was the first all-nighter that I ever pulled, and I was sick for the next 3 weeks :p

Bunny
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Americans didn't "steal" anything. You Brits just brought it with you and changed it up a little after you slaughtered all the natives. :rolleyes2Except for the fact that the American version was written in 1831, but nice try. Bonus points for the "GRRR YOU SLAUGHTERED NATIVES!" thing.

'"Land of Hope and Glory" is a British patriotic song, found to an extent throughout the Commonwealth Realms. It is particularly noted for being played on the occasion of the Last Night of the Proms amidst much flag-waving.The tune for the song was taken from the first of Edward Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance marches, which is used as a graduation march in many universities and high schools in North America."

???

Balzac
06-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Aww, all these people graduating school.

I got kicked out some 12 years ago. But that didn;t stop me. I got into art school and then uni. And I can boast that I've worked for MTV. so fuck education.

Bunny
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Working for MTV isn't something to boast about. It's a dark secret that you should keep to yourself forever.

Madame Adequate
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I don't recall graduation. We don't do anything for it in England at all. The American ideas of high school pride and spirit and whatnot are completely alien over here.

Balzac
06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Working for MTV isn't something to boast about. It's a dark secret that you should keep to yourself forever.

Depends what you do there.

Shlup
06-02-2008, 12:34 AM

Depends what you do there.

Unless the job is sterilizing the other employees, I don't see how any good can come of it.

Psychotic
06-02-2008, 12:40 AM
???Was talking about God Save the Queen/My Country 'tis of thee with that post. I guess I was wrong about Pomp and Circumstance in my earlier one but let's pretend I never said that. :shifty:

Bunny
06-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Nope sorry. It was said, you were wrong, I was right and I will hold it against you until my untimely demise!

:P

Old Manus
06-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Our school pulled a fast one on us by ending the year suddenly about a week early, thus stopping us from fullfilling our duties of making sure the fire alarm is perpetually ringing on the last day.

edit: what the hell happened to my signature

Kes
06-02-2008, 01:56 AM
I sneaked a book in the sleeve of my robe and read through the whole three (more?) hours of the thing.

Miriel
06-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Our graduation ceremony sucked, but just the experience of it and hanging out afterwards with all my friends was fun. I think all of us were pretty emotional. Unlike a lot of people, I kinda adored my high school experience, and a good chunk of the people at my high school, I've known since Kindergarten. So it was a really long journey with all these people and knowing that we would all be separating was a very emotional experience. I'm pretty sure I cried at various times during graduation and the days surrounding graduation.

When we had our Seniors goodbye for my dance team, good lord, I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life. It was good tears though.

I actually went to 5 graduations at my highschool. Once for my brother (2002), once for my upperclassmen friends (2003), once for myself (2004), and then the following two years for my underclassmen friends (2005, 2006).

Aerith's Knight
06-02-2008, 04:39 AM
I picked up the diploma, then worked the entire summer, then went to the University.

~*~Celes~*~
06-02-2008, 05:01 AM
for me, it was just we showed up at school at 11:30 am, we were told how things would go briefly by the principal, then we went to the gym where it was held to rehearse how things would go. After that we went to the cafeteria where they served us yummy lunch (all the good cafeteria food they serve during the school year!), and after lunch, we watched part of our senior video.

After the senior video part, we got into our caps and gowns, then left the auditorium. As we walked out, all the teachers from kindergarten to 12th grade were there, lining the hallway where we walked, clapping for us. That's the first time I cried.

Then after we walked to the outside of the gym where we got in line and walked in, I realized that this time, I wasn't playing pomp and circumstance with the band like I had done for the past 3 years. I cried then.

As I sat down and the whole gym burst into applause for us, I cried.

After that, I didn't cry much. I went and got my diploma, then saw my band teacher who was my teacher for 8 years...gave him a big hug, PROMISED to keep in touch as I travel to England...=]

All in all, it was a pretty decent day. The weather was perfect and everything.

Misfit
06-02-2008, 05:15 AM
I graduated last year, end of May, and it makes me sad because I miss all the stupid high school memories of doing retarded things with my friends.

But let's see, I graduated, we all went outside/in the lobby to hug eachother, cry and say about much we were going to miss eachother, etc etc, then Eric (Jowy) stole me away to Erie. But before we took that 2 and a half hour drive right after graduation we stopped and had a nice dinner so that I could feel pretty in my dress and fill our bellies, too. :p And then I fell asleep on the drive to Erie.

Jowy
06-02-2008, 05:22 AM
Our principal was two hours late for rehearsal thus causing everyone who drove there to get a parking ticket. I came home, took a nap, did some illicit substances for the first time with other graduates, and just sat in my spot dredging through the valedictorian and slutatorian's (it's an intentional typo) speeches. My name was called, so I headed on stage and pretended it tasted like ice cream during the handshakes with the incompetent administrative staff that neglected to notice the graduating classes names and class ranks didn't synch up, so my graduation rank got passed onto the remedial science and math student following "Dabrowski". I sat down and fell asleep in my chair during the other 22 letters of the alphabet, turned my tassle when they declared us graduated and promptly left the building. Then I went out to eat pancakes and one of my friends called me at 2 AM and put a shopping cart full of feminine hygiene products on my porch.

The end.

Breine
06-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I was drunk for two weeks straight, including at the graduation ceremony. I apparently laughed out loud, woo'ed and stuff like that during all the speeches. I was very drunk, and man did I have a good time!

Big D
06-02-2008, 09:09 AM
High school graduation wasn't that formal for me; only the teachers had to wear academic regalia. I got an award and a medal for some stuff, then there was chilling, mingling and some farewells before the parties started up.

Blue Harvest
06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
My school didn't make a big fuss out of graduating. A few of us went clubbing after our exams finished but that's pretty much it.