PDA

View Full Version : Ugh ugh ugh

Rye
06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
How many immunizations did you have to get to go to college?

I think I have to get a tetanus shot, and probably the meningitis one, and I'm terrified out of my wits. I hope I don't have to get any more than that.

:kaocry2:

Ace14
06-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Aww if you don't think about the shot when getting it you won't even notice, think about cake that's what I do. :)

Freya
06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
You just now have to get your tetanus? I had to get that in 7th grade. Don't be scared but that one hurts.

Psychotic
06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
None. I'd already been immunised against those things in school when I was about 15.

Rye
06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Aww if you don't think about the shot when getting it you won't even notice, think about cake that's what I do. :)

in b4 portal reference hur hur hur

Thanks! I'm much better about getting shots than I am about getting blood drawn, but it's still suuuuper unpleasant. xD

Downstate NY isn't really a rural place, so we never had to do tetanus. But we had to get a lot of Hep B immunizations before going to High School. Most of the shots required on my list are ones I got as a child, so I guess I got lucky there,

Freya
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Yeah, guess it's different here in the ranch land of the US xD

As far as I know though, i'm all good for my shots for college.

Jess
06-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I think I had all vaccinations I needed whilst I was at school. I don't even know if we need particular vaccinations to go to University here. :jess:

I've always been okay with needles. I just look away so I can't see it so I don't freak out. ;D

Shauna
06-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I think I had all vaccinations I needed whilst I was at school. I don't even know if we need particular vaccinations to go to University here. :jess:

This. I wouldn't be too bothered if I had to though, getting vaccinated is nothing. :cool:

Miriel
06-03-2008, 07:21 PM
None. Why are you having to get vaccinated?

rubah
06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
It's not so much have to get vaccinated as:
1) tetanus boosters are always a good idea (every ten years or so) and
2) a friend of a friend knew of a guy that got meningitis and his brain swelled and he was in a coma for three days because of the communal bathroom floors.

I got the same ones, rye. I'm terrified of needles. Tell your nurse that they terrify you (or start freaking out) and hopefully she will be as gentil as mine was. She made me lean over and breathe deeply for a while to get un-freaked out, and then proceded to administer the shots.

They hurt, but the tetanus one (as always) was worse. I'm glad I don't have to have another for a long time.

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2008, 07:27 PM
My college isn't in the forests of Brazil, so I got none.

I haven't been stabbed for years! :D

Rye
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Hearing how much the tetanus shot hurts is bugging me out. xD Greeeeeaaatttt.

The meningitis one is actually not required, but my Mom will probably force me to get it because she's one of those people who if they hear something on the news, they're paranoid for years.

Shauna
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM
When I got my tetanus one, I don't think it hurt that much. The BCG was much worse. :cry:

Roto13
06-03-2008, 07:30 PM

And even if it was, there's no immunization for bot flies. :bigsmile:

Avarice-ness
06-03-2008, 07:33 PM
I didn't because I was still up to date on them. I think that I am prolly going to get them all redone after I have the baby though, 'cause I don't remember if I last had them done when I was 12 or 13.

Shiny
06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I need shots for Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningitis and Hepatitis B if I haven't gotten them already. Shots don't scurr me.

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2008, 07:40 PM

And even if it was, there's no immunization for bot flies. :bigsmile:

If you marry a bot fly you're considered part of the family and they don't annoy you.

Well, they do. But only at Christmas.

Peegee
06-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I told Cz that I have absolutely no skill in empathy. But if you explain things it's easier.

Why are you afraid of needles? I have absolutely no fear of these things and typically welcome worse things such as pain and blood. I think, if given the right environment, I could do some serious harm to myself.

I never had to do any such thing because prior to university I had all that done. If you never get your shots of course you need to do them all. It's just safer.

Rye
06-03-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't know why. Immunization needles don't bother me so much aside from the pain and inconvenience. But getting blood drawn from a major part of my body terrifies me. I shake and cry and nearly pass out. I don't know why, but it just does.

Quindiana Jones
06-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Maybe it's because your blood is being sucked from your body?

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I never had blood drawn. Does it hurt lots? I'm a pansy when it comes to pain.

Peegee
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM

No. The nurse sticks a needle in your arm and blood comes out as your heart pumps the blood. It fills a bag or two and you get to drink jooze and cookies ^_^

Avarice-ness
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

It can just feel like being pinched with someone with long finger nails or a stinging feeling.

I hate getting my blood drawn but it's usually not as bad as my brain makes me think it is. I'm usually almost to the point of passing out BEFORE hand but then while the bloods being taken I usually get beter.

I have to get more blood drawn next week for more blood tests for the baby. Yeah I don't like blood work. e e;

Ouch!
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I used to have no problem with needles until a nurse-in-training woke me up at six AM and stuck a needle in my arm three times before finding the vein. ; ;

Anyway, as I lived in Indonesia for two years, I've had to get more immunizations than I care to count. Many of them needed to be renewed annually. That said, by the time college rolled around, I only had to get one new immunization, and that's because Florida is a tropical zone and they were being extra careful or something.

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh I always thought getting blood drawn was painful o.o

Oh and taking about needles. You're getting the Epidural right Avarice-ness? Or are you going to be all tough like?

I'm slightly derailing this topic but hey it's still about needles even though it started as immunizations xD!

Marshall Banana
06-03-2008, 08:42 PM
I had to get a tetanus shot and start the hepatitis B shots before I was allowed to graduate. I had to lay down and recover after each one (while a nurse held my legs up), but they didn't hurt. XD

Rye
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I had to get a tetanus shot and start the hepatitis B shots before I was allowed to graduate. I had to lay down and recover after each one (while a nurse held my legs up), but they didn't hurt. XD

Oh Monda, protect me! :kaocry2:

fire_of_avalon
06-03-2008, 09:11 PM
I had to get a tetanus booster before college. That was it.

rubah
06-03-2008, 09:22 PM
to answer peegies post, I start to feel queasy reading his post as well as while listening to people talk about cutting and blood (in french that I couldn't fully understand). That's my problem with getting blood drawn and also needles and nicking my skin while shaving.

Heath
06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Had all of them while I was at school. Never had a problem with injections, barely notice them these days. Not a problem in the slightest for me. So I should be okay for September.

Blue Harvest
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
All this talk of injections is making me cringe ;_;

Breine
06-03-2008, 10:08 PM
None. Why are you having to get vaccinated?

Yeah, why? That's pretty weird. Or is that just how things work in the US?

Anyway, I'm totally fine with needles and vaccinations. In fact, I need to get a lot of them during the next couple of weeks since I'm going to Asia in a couple of months.

snacks
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM

I think I have to get a tetanus shot, and probably the meningitis one, and I'm terrified out of my wits. I hope I don't have to get any more than that.

:kaocry2:

You....have to get shots to go to college?
Hmm, I must be going to the wrong schools.

Zeldy
06-03-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm sure I had my tetanus this year, or last, I can't remember. Wasn't it Tetanus and polio? I really don't know, I've had every injection that was given throughout primary and secondary though. It always annoys me how they count to 5 but go at 3 >=[

Evastio
06-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Getting immunizations to go to college. That's a good one Rye!!! :D

But, don't you think that joke is a little offending to sick people who easily pass on their diseases? I mean, it's not like they have control over being sick and it's quite mean to rub it in like that.

Avarice-ness
06-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm sure I had my tetanus this year, or last, I can't remember. Wasn't it Tetanus and polio? I really don't know, I've had every injection that was given throughout primary and secondary though. It always annoys me how they count to 5 but go at 3 >=[

Tetanus and TB. xD Polio is normally given at birth, if they're still being given. It's not a reoccuring vaccine so you basically get poked once and your good.

rubah
06-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't think they even give polio vaccines in the first world now. They've almost got it eradicated except for a few places in such as Africa, but they say it's making a comeback because they won't use the most effective medicines (more expensive and harder to use) to vaccinate people. There's a difference of like 19% efficiency though.

I read a bunch of stuff about polio the other day and it was so depressing and kinda scary really. My mom has a huge scar on her arm from when she got vaccinated when she was like 4 or 5.

Gogo
06-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Vacinations for university? Never heard of that.

Madame Adequate
06-04-2008, 03:04 AM
I had to get a tetanus shot and start the hepatitis B shots before I was allowed to graduate.

Your college was completely bathttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif insane. Seriously. What.

Avarice-ness
06-04-2008, 03:07 AM
Vacinations for university? Never heard of that.

Usually they only do it if your imunizations are not up to date. TB and Tetanus are an every 10 year thing. They're usually more focused on the school level because they're really the easiest thing to catch and spread.

I'm starting to be sure that Meningitis is going to become a "norm" for school immunizations soon. I had to get a meningitis shot my senior year because one of the girls on the soccer team got it, so we all had to get shots.
Apparently it's becoming more common, basically what TB and Tetanus used to be before the required shots.

Big D
06-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Vaccinations, even when they're not mandatory, are certainly a good idea. Especially for the likes of hepatitis and meningitis.
Sure, some injections are more uncomfortable than others. But it can help a lot to simply remain calm, relax your arm, and avoid looking at the injection when it's taking place. If you can actually see that piece of metal being stuck into your arm, that makes it a whole lot worse. I always just look away, accept that there'll be a temporary sensation of pain, and roll with it.

Psychotic
06-04-2008, 03:27 AM
I don't think they even give polio vaccines in the first world now. They still do in England. They do it by dropping this bad tasting thing into your mouth though.
I read a bunch of stuff about polio the other day and it was so depressing and kinda scary really. My mother had polio as a baby and yeah it really messed her up and she still feels the effects of it today. It's a very nasty disease.
My mom has a huge scar on her arm from when she got vaccinated when she was like 4 or 5.I still have the scar on my arm from my tubercolosis vaccination from 6 years ago. It seems a lot of people my age do actually.

Marshall Banana
06-04-2008, 03:47 AM
I had to get a tetanus shot and start the hepatitis B shots before I was allowed to graduate.

Your college was completely bathttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif insane. Seriously. What.
High school! =O

Teachers gave us [seniors] the impression that our vaccinations were required for college admission (or just for the good of seniors who would go to college), but I don't know. I don't think that my university requires any vaccinations now, but that may not have been the case three years ago; I can't remember. I only remember that I had to provide proof of my vaccinations to be eligible for graduation in high school.

I didn't get my third hepatitis B shot. By the time I was scheduled to get it, my phobia of syringes had developed. XP

Breine
06-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Vaccinations, even when they're not mandatory, are certainly a good idea. Especially for the likes of hepatitis and meningitis.
Sure, some injections are more uncomfortable than others. But it can help a lot to simply remain calm, relax your arm, and avoid looking at the injection when it's taking place. If you can actually see that piece of metal being stuck into your arm, that makes it a whole lot worse. I always just look away, accept that there'll be a temporary sensation of pain, and roll with it.

I've usually gotten my injections in either the butt or in the neck, so that makes it kind of hard to look at it while it's happening, which helps I guess :)

rubah
06-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I don't think they even give polio vaccines in the first world now. They still do in England. They do it by dropping this bad tasting thing into your mouth though.
I read a bunch of stuff about polio the other day and it was so depressing and kinda scary really. My mother had polio as a baby and yeah it really messed her up and she still feels the effects of it today. It's a very nasty disease.
My mom has a huge scar on her arm from when she got vaccinated when she was like 4 or 5.I still have the scar on my arm from my tubercolosis vaccination from 6 years ago. It seems a lot of people my age do actually.

is yours the size of a dime or a 1 euro coin? if so, that's crazy!:O

also the relatively ineffective polio vaccine I was talking about is pill one.

Madame Adequate
06-04-2008, 01:45 PM

High school! =O

Teachers gave us [seniors] the impression that our vaccinations were required for college admission (or just for the good of seniors who would go to college), but I don't know. I don't think that my university requires any vaccinations now, but that may not have been the case three years ago; I can't remember. I only remember that I had to provide proof of my vaccinations to be eligible for graduation in high school.

I didn't get my third hepatitis B shot. By the time I was scheduled to get it, my phobia of syringes had developed. XP

Your high school then! I mean, yeah, encouraging shots is good, but I don't see how you can justifiably stop someone from graduating without them. Schools should not have the tools to enforce public health policies. They just shouldn't. (Note I say enforce, which is what I mean. Educate, yes.)

rubah
06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
but schools are funded by the states and the states are in charge of 'health safety and morals'.

Captain Maxx Power
06-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I just take the pain, a little needle is nothing.

Caraliz
06-05-2008, 12:52 AM
what i'm sick of is iv's.

Avarice-ness
06-05-2008, 12:54 AM
what i'm sick of is iv's.

Just wait til you have to do the like.. 5 viles of blood for your baby. That sucked 'cause like we talked for 5 minutes and then I'm like "*looks over and sees its still in* ARGH"

I don't remember ever having to need IV's. I'm going to try to stay hydrated when I'm at the hospital during labor with liquids outside an IV but I'll prolly end up on one anyways. ; ;