PDA

View Full Version : Gossip Girls and Boys

Miriel
06-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Do you gossip? I sure do! I am unabashedly, a gossip whore. It's not malicious or mean spirited, I just like knowing what's going on. I like knowing who is going out with who, who is moving where, who just got kicked out of school, etc etc. I don't seek it out, but it does perk me up when a friend comes to me and says, "Guess what I heard today!"

PS. This is why I kinda love the staff forums. ;)

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Haha me too. I love knowing what is going on. I may not say something but I just feel special being "in the loop".

Quindiana Jones
I like hearing gossip, but I can't be arsed to speak it.

What's the difference between gossip and news?

Peegee
Miriel, guess what's going on in my life? Actually you might wanna pm you msn if you wanna know!

I hate gossip. I don't judge people who like it (I tried to invent bad things about you but couldn't), but that doesn't mean I accept it. I can see how it might be entertaining, but it's better to just live a more exciting life, imo.

Miriel
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Part of having an exciting life, is having exciting friends. Some of my friends come to me with CRAZY gossip and I love it. :D

And I pass on my own personal gossip to my friends.

I think the difference between news and gossip is that gossip is more personal in nature. Although, gossip is always news, news isn't always gossip.

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Yeah but you always have to watch out about gossip because it's just that, gossip. Sometimes if you spread it and it's wrong you can get in lots of trouble D:

Bahamut2000X
I don't like gossip. Half the time it's false and more often then not is used to just spread bad things about people.

Gossip is the biggest thing to go around my work and I absolutely hate it.

XxSephirothxX
Gossip is a pretty big part of the social interaction of my group of friends, and while I do partake, in general I find it kind of sickening. I think there's something to be said for leaving people the hell alone and not digging for every scrap of information in regards to their personal lives.

Rye
06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I gossip with my close friends. I don't like to gossip in public revenues, such as EoFF, because it's not my place to be judgmental there. Most of the gossip I enjoy is cute, romantic stuff, and dirty raunchy stuff I found out from friends.

Peegee
06-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Are you even supposed to gossip? Usually people let you find out about things or confide in you so that you can keep it a secret.

I know a lot of secrets and could easily be a gossip hound, but I choose not to. Sometimes I intentionally forget things to make it easier.

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Sometimes it's a good thing to hear gossip though. I think it's better to maybe be a bit more cautious of some if you heard some little detail then being completely oblivious and getting screwed over.

Rye
06-03-2008, 08:20 PM
When it comes to secrets, I know so many. A lot of people tell me things because I'm very open-minded when it comes to their secrets, so they feel less worried that I'll call them weird for it, or soemthing.

I also know a lot about what people say about me behind my back, because I have kind of big network of friends, so I always find out one way or the other.

Miriel
06-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Gossip isn't about spreading SECRETS. Or at least, I don't think it is? :confused: If a friend confides in you and then you spread those secrets, that's just called being a bitch. If a friend specifically asks me not to say anything, I won't.

Gossip is...finding out that someone is getting married and then talking about this news with your friends. "Did you hear so-and-so is getting married?" "Omg, are you serious, when??" "In the summer!" "Are we invited?" "I think she's gonna do it in Vegas!"

That's gossip. Like I said in my first post, it's not about being malicious.

Rye
06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Gossip is...finding out that someone is getting married and then talking about this news with your friends. "Did you hear so-and-so is getting married?" "Omg, are you serious, when??" "In the summer!" "Are we invited?" "I think she's gonna do it in Vegas!"

Yeah, that's the kind of gossip I tend to, uh, gossip about. I like finding out about love & sexy time gossip. xD I don't spread secrets, but PG mentioned obtaining secrets, so I felt like commenting on that.

Freya
06-03-2008, 08:30 PM
If a friend specifically asks me not to say anything, I won't.

Yeah same here.

First let me ask why is it Rye, Miriel, and I are like the only ones really commenting? I guess were the gossipers

Next, Yeah Finding out LIKE "Omg did you hear about bert and Liz? They are like getting married and are preggo!" Thats what I do, stuff like that. Like you two said.

Miriel
06-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Boys don't like to admit they like to hear gossip, but if you say, "Hey, guess who just got a random picture text today of a penis?" You bet they're gonna be interested. :greenie:

Psychotic
06-03-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey, guess who just got a random picture text today of a penis?Well? Who was it?

Madame Adequate
06-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Gossip isn't about spreading SECRETS. Or at least, I don't think it is? :confused: If a friend confides in you and then you spread those secrets, that's just called being a bitch. If a friend specifically asks me not to say anything, I won't.

Dude... maliciousness is EXACTLY what gossip is. Talking about things behind people's backs, talking about things people wouldn't want you to know about, talking about people without them having any chance to correct themselves or offer input. It doesn't necessarily have to be overtly labelled as 'secret' for gosspping about it to be sketchy.

I mean, I do all that. I just don't care, because that's how we are. Everyone does it, people do it about me, I'm sure.

Blue Harvest
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Gossip doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Miriel
06-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Dude... maliciousness is EXACTLY what gossip is. Talking about things behind people's backs, talking about things people wouldn't want you to know about, talking about people without them having any chance to correct themselves or offer input. It doesn't necessarily have to be overtly labelled as 'secret' for gosspping about it to be sketchy.

I mean, I do all that. I just don't care, because that's how we are. Everyone does it, people do it about me, I'm sure.
I dunno, a lot of the gossip I get, I get directly from the source. *shrugs*

Hey, guess who just got a random picture text today of a penis?Well? Who was it?
It was my best friend! She actually offered to send me the picture, but I declined. :)

DK
06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
This thread reminds me of when me and Azar (I think) and Hsu and probably Sepho were playing #tot with foa and rubah and they were amused by what a bunch of gossip whores we were. So I think that says it all about me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sickhappy/wacky.gif

Peegee
06-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I draw a distinction between harmless 'gossip' (in quotes because I don't consider it gossip) such as, for example, telling everybody I know that Mandee was getting married all those years ago, and real gossip, like something I won't say in this forum. Like, for example, that Pam's going to dump Jimmy this Saturday

The above is a real piece of gossip with the names of people changed. Nobody from EoFF. I swear on the life of my mother.

In fact, I'm usually so good at this that sometimes I feel like I'm betraying friends for not being a blabbermouth. I'm sworn to secrecy for a lot of things. The only time I 'share' is when it has to do with me directly (like how I'm an emotional mess due to Pam's plan to dump Jimmy).

edit: I'M FINDING MYSELF GOSSIPPING. THIS IS SO FUN! I'M BEING SELF RIGHTEOUS!

Seriously, I rescind everything I said in this thread

Breine
06-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I try not to, but I do it sometimes.. Just like everybody else. Everybody gossips. Anyone who says they don't is in denial.

Peegee
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I try not to, but I do it sometimes.. Just like everybody else. Everybody gossips. Anyone who says they don't is in denial.

I haven't done it in so long. It's better than sex!

Actually a lot of things are better than straight sex.

Evastio
06-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I listen to it a bit but I don't go spreading it or believing it (unless it sounds true enough).

fire_of_avalon
06-03-2008, 11:14 PM

No it isn't. Gossip is just idle talk. You might've been the victim of malicious rumors, but gossip isn't automatically malicious. It's just idle, busybody stuff.

Idle talk can be malicious, it just depends on what kind of person you gossip with. I gossip, but I also make sure that whatever I say "behind someone's back" is something I'm also willing to say to their face. I'm just open like that.

This thread reminds me of when me and Azar (I think) and Hsu and probably Sepho were playing #tot with foa and rubah and they were amused by what a bunch of gossip whores we were. So I think that says it all about me http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/sickhappy/wacky.gif

That's because you are the BIGGEST gossip whore I know. xD

Misfit
06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
amg yes i love gossip. :DDD

Vermachtnis
06-03-2008, 11:48 PM
No, but I have somehow come to know to know an abundance of useless information about people I hardly know.

Arc_Master_14
06-04-2008, 12:06 AM
ALL THE TIME!

Madame Adequate
06-04-2008, 03:08 AM

No it isn't. Gossip is just idle talk. You might've been the victim of malicious rumors, but gossip isn't automatically malicious. It's just idle, busybody stuff.

Idle talk can be malicious, it just depends on what kind of person you gossip with. I gossip, but I also make sure that whatever I say "behind someone's back" is something I'm also willing to say to their face. I'm just open like that.

I'm not gonna argue, I'm just saying, this is the first time I've ever come across gossip as anything other than malicious rumor spreading and secret sharing.

Roto13
06-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Gossip.

Gossip.

I kind of like the way that word sounds.

...Gossip.

ToT makes so much sense now.

Dynast-Kid
06-04-2008, 05:28 AM
My world revolves around gossip! One of the best things about being a social butterfly is always being in the loop! I know lots of gossip!

I know that it's not that good, but hey, we all do it!

And I always like to know what others are saying about me. The best gossip you hear is about what others are saying about you!

But I don't ever start rumors. That's mean!

DK
06-04-2008, 05:30 AM

I like to know as much as I can about everyone I know. I just like to know who people are and what makes them tick and the things they do and why they do it. Maybe I am just nosy or maybe I just like to understand people, I don't know. Either way tell me stuff about people right now!!

Dynast-Kid
06-04-2008, 05:37 AM

I like to know as much as I can about everyone I know. I just like to know who people are and what makes them tick and the things they do and why they do it. Maybe I am just nosy or maybe I just like to understand people, I don't know. Either way tell me stuff about people right now!!

I feel the SAME way!

SammieBabe
06-04-2008, 06:10 AM
I don't like being called a gossip. I prefer 'well-informed'...

oddler
06-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Gossip, in the sense of talking about nothing at all just to fill empty space, is pointless and a waste of time.

Gossip, in the sense of spreading rumors, is pointless and leads to possible drama which makes me sometimes wish I had godlike powers so I could set a plague of locusts onto the people that do it.

Screw gossip hard in the butt, I say.

Rye
06-04-2008, 11:18 AM

That's how I am too. xD Except Dan fer srs knows how people tick. He helps me with my big problems.

Madame Adequate
06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Nobody knows what makes me tick. :monster: But I can sympathise with the desire to know.

DK
06-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I have video evidence to the contrary, good sir, and you know that full well. :aimkiss:

yeah put that in your gossip pipes and smoke it, whores!

duckie
06-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I generally don't get involved in gossip. I have a lot of friends who have so much drama in their lives because they can't shut their mouths.

Cloudane
06-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm not a great fan of gossip. But I do have to admit that if a particular group of friends is together and one isn't there, we have a very bad habit of bitching about them! I can't resist it, none of us can. Not in a real serious "hate them" kind of way, just in a joking manner but chances are if the person was present they'd not be impressed kind of thing.

One place I really can't stand it is in the workplace. Colleagues are there to work, not to have people laughing about their personal lives which has absolutely nothing to do with the job at hand.

Hambone
06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes I do, but only for the reasons Miriel explained.